• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dairers and Nairers - which type are you?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
It appears to me that there are two types of Lucas's - Nairers and Dairers.

Sean is pretty much a dairer in his vids. I see him do tons of full hop Dairs, followed by a dtilt into fsmash.

I am a bit different, I like doing shorthopped nairs into ftilts or utilts. It feels slightly less risky although the payoff may not be as good. Also, you rarely get shield grabbed since you can pick which side to land on out of a nair. Before they have a chance to turn around and grab, you can fltilt them to oblivion.

What type of Lucas are you?

foxsmasher

Smash Cadet
Your name is rather..controversial. Aside from that I'm pretty much both. I can use nairs to switch up if my opponent try's to predict my next moves. So I'm in the middle.

Seanson

Smash Ace
Yes. Down air is my move. It's like a vacuum, and I can control where I land, or if I even need to go in at all while doing it. Large range in the downwards direction, long lasting, powerful. Comes out fast. I almost rather spam it than pk fire. PK fire tickles, and the d-air gets things done.

I see where you're comin from with the n-air. It does a lot of damage (~18% with all hits) and combos very nicely into most anything that isn't really slow, as long as the past hit misses of course. I'm a fan of n-air to jabs, but thats just me. I don't do it enough because like you said it seems a lot safer...

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I use both interchangeably. It's not good to do the same thing over and over.... Plus sometimes it's hard to hit a certain character with one move. It's all about mindgames. :)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I tend to use the nairs more often just because short hopping feels so natural to me, but I still love the dair.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Dair is better. More combo ability and less punishable. SH Nair is great for mixing things up when your opponent starts shielding or dodging too much. Lucas has very few approaches. If you don't mix them up you will get nowhere against good players. Utilize all of your options.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
It appears to me that there are two types of Lucas's - Nairers and Dairers.

Sean is pretty much a dairer in his vids. I see him do tons of full hop Dairs, followed by a dtilt into fsmash.

I am a bit different, I like doing shorthopped nairs into ftilts or utilts. It feels slightly less risky although the payoff may not be as good. Also, you rarely get shield grabbed since you can pick which side to land on out of a nair. Before they have a chance to turn around and grab, you can fltilt them to oblivion.

What type of Lucas are you?
It's an OK strategy/preference, but it will take you forever to kill anyone, honestly.
And if you aren't a master at controlling whether or not the last hit lands, it's difficult to get a strategy going. I know I'm not.

Yes. Down air is my move. It's like a vacuum, and I can control where I land, or if I even need to go in at all while doing it. Large range in the downwards direction, long lasting, powerful. Comes out fast. I almost rather spam it than pk fire. PK fire tickles, and the d-air gets things done.

I see where you're comin from with the n-air. It does a lot of damage (~18% with all hits) and combos very nicely into most anything that isn't really slow, as long as the past hit misses of course. I'm a fan of n-air to jabs, but thats just me. I don't do it enough because like you said it seems a lot safer...
It's definitely the better move. I don't personally think it's spammable though. N-air is a lot more spammable, but again, it's not as risky or rewarding either. Pick your shots.

I use my Bair and Fair the most...
Lol.

Dair is better. More combo ability and less punishable. SH Nair is great for mixing things up when your opponent starts shielding or dodging too much. Lucas has very few approaches. If you don't mix them up you will get nowhere against good players. Utilize all of your options.
^ The sound advice.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Actually there's a ton wrong with Fair if you're using it in short hops. Namely it can be perfect shielded and punished over and over. It's probably the riskiest approach you can try. I like Bair but it is annoyingly slow. Neither are anywhere near as good as Dair. Hating Nair is stupid. It deals with shielders and spotdodgers while leaving you completely protected unless the opponent counters with an attack as you're approaching.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Maybe I should clarify because it sounded like I'm saying fair is a great approach and nair is not:

Nothing wrong with bair and fair as actual aerials on their own, not comparing them to the others that you can use.

I personally hate nair, not because of what it can/can't do, but because I simply dislike the move itself. I dair.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
When the opponent starts shielding, I SH nair to roll right when i hit the ground, so i never get punished. :)

Trozz

Smash Ace
Sounds improbable.

Whenever I knock someone out, I spam SH nair and bounce around the stage.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
lol same. SHFF Nairs look better than any of Lucas's taunts.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Fastfall the nair at the peak of your short hop to avoid hitting with the last part. idk if comboing into f/utilt is ever guaranteed or not.

As to my own preference, I gravitate towards dair more often than not. I feel safer using it than nair due to the vertical length of the hitbox. And maybe it's just me, but I'm apparently incapable of reliably comboing nair into tilts.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
i use dair way more for approaching, but nair is good when i need to switch it up, so is fair though, i rarely use bair if it's not for a spike, but it has good range so i'll use it occasionally

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I'm more of a dair-er, but I do use the nair occasionally. It's just so much easier to get hits in with the dair, IMO.

Top Bottom