• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dammit, I'm too in love with Zelda

MASword

Smash Rookie
I want to start getting in on the tournament scene, but I seriously can't seem to play anyone other than Zelda. Why does she have to be so low tier? :(

I try anyone else, I'm wondering where my up smash went, where my short hop lightning kicks went, where din's fire went, my forward tilts, my down smash gtfo kick, teleporting into people, teleporting behind people, teleporting beneath people to a SH uair after they just tried to punt me into oblivion... sad, sad panda.

Tiers be ****ed, I'm playing Zelda.

Dihan

Smash Apprentice
Low tier?

I gathered the general consensus was mid-high tier...

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
If Zelda is low tier... Then who the hell is high tier?

Honestly, who is more powerful than her?

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
If Zelda is low tier... Then who the hell is high tier?

Honestly, who is more powerful than her?
Even though Zelda may seem powerful, she has her flaws. Escapable smashes, slow, predictible projectiles and dependent on being defensive.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Most tier lists worth their salt will put Zelda in whatever tier is directly under top tier. And not tier lists that wants to be taken seriously will put her any lower than high in the 3rd best tier.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Honestly, I don't know why Zelda is doing so bad in tournaments. Maybe players are relying on Din's Fire too much? From what I see, Zelda may end up in the lower tiers this time around too.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
she not doing well in tournaments b/c there are not a lot of zelda mains. when there are 20 mk and snakes it stands to reason they will be more likely to get futher (do better) then the characters that are barly played such as zelda.

zelda is high tier or at least should be

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
my down smash gtfo kick
That made me LOL.

She won't be low tier.
She'll be mid tier AT LEAST. She's doing alright in tournaments now, and she has a great deal of match ups in her favor. I don't see any reason why she'd fall into the low tier again.

However, from the tournament vids I've watched on Youtube, a great deal of Zelda players there do rely on Din's FAR too much, and don't even touch her tilts. It makes me sad </3

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
i started using zelda recently as a sub main, and there is no way she would be low teir. she has a fast and very strong usmash, the thing can cover tons of area above zelda and only a few moves can break it. a nice projectile, and good tilts. but like ppl said already, its hard to get on the offensive with her and mostly will stay defensive throughout the match.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
kirby, metaknight

sonic [sonic] heeyeah! [/sonic [mario] no [/mario]
mk is top tier, kirby might be mid.

and i can't tell if you are serious about sonic/mario
but if you are sonic is low to mid while mario is mid

(not my oppions this seems to be the general consensus around these boards)

BabyLuigiFan

Smash Rookie
I dont care what anything negative said about zelda. Shes always gonna be top tier for me :).

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Don't let tier lists affect how you play with a certain character. Yeah, tiers exist, but if you're so dependent on where Zelda is located on the tier list that it affects how well you do with Zelda, then you shouldn't be participating in tournaments. Just get out there and do your best with her.

MASword

Smash Rookie
I'm not dependent on it, but it's kind of like rooting for your favorite baseball team. You just want them to do well. :D

And I think the list is a bit self-propagating, I see VERY few zelda vids out there from tournaments, while snake/MK/DDD/ROB are a dime a dozen (as someone above posted). Guess who the new mains will be. >.>

popsofctown

Smash Champion
3 of those 4 are fun and easy to sweetspot <3

You can totally smash tournaments with Zelda. In the current character matchup thread, the only character that has an advantage over both Zelda and Sheik (her in-game counterpicks) is G&W. And G&W doesn't have a giant advantage over Sheik, as far as I know.

This is ignoring Squirtle, someone put Squirtle over Zelda, which is probably a weird exaggeration of Zelda's dependence on lightning kicks (and an underestimation of how accurate we can still make them).

MASword

Smash Rookie
3 of those 4 are fun and easy to sweetspot <3

You can totally smash tournaments with Zelda. In the current character matchup thread, the only character that has an advantage over both Zelda and Sheik (her in-game counterpicks) is G&W. And G&W doesn't have a giant advantage over Sheik, as far as I know.

This is ignoring Squirtle, someone put Squirtle over Zelda, which is probably a weird exaggeration of Zelda's dependence on lightning kicks (and an underestimation of how accurate we can still make them).
I wouldn't put Squirtle OVER Zelda, but I'd say Sheik has a way easier time with him. I switch and he's cake.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Shortly after that post i played Squirtle. Dang that thing's hard to fight with Zelda.

My original point is still true, since Sheik can beat it. Only G&W can beat Zelda.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've played against a squitel with Zelda recently... he realy has no response your camping and can only get inside of you with a well timed shellshift but has an IMPOSSIBLE time tring to kill you. He certainly won't do it in 2minutes, and the fact that none of the other pokes are good against zelda helps... but, like I said, that doesn't particularly matter since squirtle is so easy to kill for zelda (hard to hit maybe, but easy to kill)

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I main Zelda along with Lucario. I wouldn't really care if Zelda ended up in mid or low. People who pick their mains based off of tiers will not even give a second glance at Zelda and move to people like Snake, MK etc. I think Zelda is high tier though don't get me wrong.

rampant_apart

Smash Apprentice
Don't let tier lists affect how you play with a certain character. Yeah, tiers exist, but if you're so dependent on where Zelda is located on the tier list that it affects how well you do with Zelda, then you shouldn't be participating in tournaments. Just get out there and do your best with her.

This. I believe playing with a high-tier character that you are uncomfortable with will always produce worse results than if you went with a lower-tier character that you had a very natural rhythm with (barring if the game is incredibly unbalanced, which, so far, I don't applies to Brawl.)

Naybewon

Smash Ace
She's absolutely not low-tier in this game and is definitely a higher tier than she was in Melee.

I'd say after a year or so, when the tier lists are more permanent and credible, she'll be upper mid-tier. She's not the best, but she's up there.

DarkThundah

Smash Apprentice
she not doing well in tournaments b/c there are not a lot of zelda mains. when there are 20 mk and snakes it stands to reason they will be more likely to get futher (do better) then the characters that are barly played such as zelda.

zelda is high tier or at least should be
Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a reliable strategy to use against snake and MK. I mean, thats like 40% of the tourney population being that much more beatable.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Yeah, but Zelda isn't popular in tournies. She was popular back then when people didn't know how to dodge her Din's Fire, but now that they have...ugh...

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a reliable strategy to use against snake and MK. I mean, thats like 40% of the tourney population being that much more beatable.
fighting mk is alot about not making big mistakes. dont get into patterns make sure you space well and mind game. mk is light which is nice but he is fast and can punish (sorry this is more advice then a strategy)

for snake spacing is very importent. you should be able to get some din's off while he is setting up his mines and throwing grenades (note if you time it right you can make his grenades explode on him with a well timed din a nice thing to do but don't rely on it) after he gets his items out there mines/grenades it is time to approach him. This is were your spacing is very importent your f-smash has a good reachand is a big weapon in this fight since he will mostly be using his tilts when you are close. also dont forget to use your d-tilt or d-smash both are very usefull in any fight. snake is easiest to deal with in the air and with an up-smash like zelda it is not hard to get him in the air since he wont be dying for a long time i try to save a move to kill with, i usually save up-tilt. Also since you can reflect snakes up-smash whcih is not a well known thing you can surprise a snake using his up smah to keep you off the edge with you neurtal B.
also snake is kinda big and zelda has lightning kicks. first if he runs at you get ready to shield his dash attack or slide as i am sure we all know they have some distance to it. a good snake is hard to dimp when recovering but if you get the chance you could spike him out of his up B or you could just din him while he is using it. besides saying watch out for his mines i can't think of anything else to write about the fight right now let me jsut say zelda can fight snake pretty well i think.

ps sorry if this is off topic maybe i could say this is why loving zelda is not a problem and now its on topic :)

Top Bottom