• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Pit/Pittoo at the end of Palutena's Alighting [Thread]

Dark Pit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
If we look at Palutena's alighting:

We see Dark Pit at the end; that's where everyone is getting excited. Now I haven't played a lot of Kid Icarus games, but quick research suggests he will be another "clone character".

Will adding Dark Pit to the game be just like adding a dark side to everyone else?
Ex:

Dark Mario
Dark Link
Dark Kirby
etc...

Discuss

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I guarantee it's an update to the Dark Pit color swap from Brawl to include Dark Pit's voice on the costume instead of Pit's. Which is honestly exactly what he should be.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I'd say its a 50/50 chance he's an alt costume for Pit (with a different voice and lines, maybe even victory poses and taunts) or an unlockable newcomer. Some have suggested boss, but...I doubt it. All (real) bosses we've had are huge, that goes for SSE and stage bosses.(Well...except Nabbit apparently, who might have just killed that logic.)

Should he be unlockable, I'd imagine they'd give him the weapons Pit doesn't use.

If he just an alt costume, I'd hope they'd at least treat him like a different character, so the announced calls him "Dark Pit" and you get a Dark Pit trophy when you beat Classic with him. Tekken Tag Tournament (also made by Namco) does it after all.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Alt color. Maybe featured as an Event Match character.
Also, *Pittoo. (Seriously, it's Pit + too.)

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Pit two wouldn't be a clone. ^^ Because Pit two could have a lot of different powers or weapons...Whats about Palms as weapon? Or Staff? Or Claws? Canons? The wolfclaws would be very nice. Okay we have enough blades but Pit two could shot with one of his blades. ^^

A real clone is for example Link / Toon-Link.... both of them have the Mastersword, Triforce of courage, Bombs... bow / arrow... the same b up... Toon-Link is faster than Link and he is less than the >original< Link.

But Pit two could have a lot of other and NEW wewapons. ( Maybe he could have a new weapon that didn't appear in Kid Icarus Uprising. It would be interesting and nice. ^^ )

Because of that I would say Pit two could be a different charakter. The only mutuality of them is... they are angels with a similarity look and both of them can fly ( in SSB4 ).

Next is... Because of the great scope, Pit two would be a good character for balancing. ( Sakurai said he would choose certain characters and Kid Icarus Uprising has a lot of opportunities ^^ ).

Thats what I think ^-^.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If he just an alt costume, I'd hope they'd at least treat him like a different character, so the announced calls him "Dark Pit" and you get a Dark Pit trophy when you beat Classic with him. Tekken Tag Tournament (also made by Namco) does it after all.
This would actually be a nice idea.

And Tekken does that sort of thing? Well, Namco is developing this game and not just any part of Namco: the Tekken team is involved, so who knows this might happen?

Anyway, this Dark Pit tease is so blatant, it would feel disappointing if he was just a boss or an Assist Trophy. Anyway, I think he will be a glorified alt. He's based on an alt color for Pit in Brawl after all, so I think they're going to update it.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Dark Pit will Probable be an Assist Trophy not a fighter

Isabella appears in Villager's Artwork and she is an Assist Trophy

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
He's an alt. Please. We don't need another KI rep. What would make him different from Pit? But anyway, he could be a boss in the non FD version of Palutena's temple.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Like I said.. maybe other weapons or effects... Pit two wouldn't have the same weapons like Pit. In Kid Icarus Uprising you can find a lot of different weapons. ^^

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Like I said.. maybe other weapons or effects... Pit two wouldn't have the same weapons like Pit. In Kid Icarus Uprising you can find a lot of different weapons. ^^
But I remember in the past Sakurai has said he doesn't like to over represent his own series.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
But I remember in the past Sakurai has said he doesn't like to over represent his own series.

Yes you are right but Kid Icarus was made by Gunpei Yokoi. ^^ Maybe Sakurai doesn't think Kid Icurs is his own series. ^^ And maybe he means the Kirby Series. ^^

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
As much as I want Dark pit to be a new character, I don't see it likely. Yeah, there are 9 different types of weapons to choose from, and we've seen Pit use three of them already (Bow, arms and orbitars) 6 more to go. The Ore club is an item, so it doesn't seem likely to have a club in Pit's or Pittoo's movesets. That left us claws, palms, cannons, staves and swords... This assuming that Pit doesn't use any of them in any of his custom moves, we'd never know.
Also, Pit and Pittoo are exactly the same except for colors. Yeah, if they always remained in their original palette it wouldn't be a problem to distinguish between them, buuuuut, we have a lot of color palettes for Pit, and then we would need to have another bunch for Pittoo. How would you plan to distinguish between a Pit and a Pitto that are both in the blue team in a team battle? The developers could go for a different stance for each of them, but it doesn't seem as enough.

That leads me to believe that Dark Pit will be a glorified costume, one that would have Pittoo's voice and sentences. But in the same way, that'd be tricky. Imagine the same example I stated earlier, a Team Battle: I love hearing Dark Pit's voice and his satirical phrases, so I wanna take him into the red team... Dark Pit with a red tunic? What differences him from Pit in a red tunic, Black hair and brown eyes? Nah, doesn't seem like it.

To conclude, I think Dark pit will be a costume, with his own voice and victory phrases. But I'd be really surprised if they give him the Kuma/Panda\Alex/Roger treatment, as I don't seem this game to be capable of doing so. Yet again, Sakurai has surprised me maaany times in the last year, so I hope him and his team to be able to come up with something.

Sorry for the long post, btw. (:

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I honestly don't know what to think about Pittoo....I mean, I love his character in Uprising and I would love to play as him, but I'm just not sure what's in the cards due to the way he was introduced. My best guess it probably hidden character, and this was just a tease. But I wouldn't mind him being a glorified costume if they do it right. <3

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That leads me to believe that Dark Pit will be a glorified costume, one that would have Pittoo's voice and sentences. But in the same way, that'd be tricky. Imagine the same example I stated earlier, a Team Battle: I love hearing Dark Pit's voice and his satirical phrases, so I wanna take him into the red team... Dark Pit with a red tunic? What differences him from Pit in a red tunic, Black hair and brown eyes? Nah, doesn't seem like it.
About team battles, teams are no longer color restricted as this image shows.

Besides, if they wanted to have several Dark Pit colors or if team colors were fixed, they could use different shades of Pit's existing colors. Also, the wings are pretty noticeable.

Pit could have his default white colors, light blue, light green, light red, his golden outfit and his new orange outfit. Dark Pit would have his default black outfit, dark red, dark blue, dark green and perhaps a silver outfit and/or a purple outfit.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
It's sad to know that a lot of people don't want to have Pittoo. He is more different to Pit ( and could have other weapons or powers ) than Toon-Link to Link.

Burigu

Smash Ace
If we look at Palutena's alighting:

We see Dark Pit at the end; that's where everyone is getting excited. Now I haven't played a lot of Kid Icarus games, but quick research suggests he will be another "clone character".

Will adding Dark Pit to the game be just like adding a dark side to everyone else?
Ex:

Dark Mario
Dark Link
Dark Kirby
etc...

Discuss
Well since it is you who made this thread I will share what most people think about Dark Pit's role in Smash so hope I help (by the way I am not saying you believe any of the info I will "attack" but it will help me express better)

The reallity is that Dark Pit appearance at the end of the trailer hardly screams a teaser, people like to ignore facts or real evidence in favor of their personal hopes and desires.

In the past we have had Tom Nook appearing in Villager's trailer, he is seen watching the letter the Villager recieved for Smash and supporters jumped to the conclusion that "he read the letter and followed Villager to smash" Tom Nook HINTED! if you go to Tom Nook thread you can see how this was the perception. But in the end he is part of a final smash.

Then we have Isabelle, who also appears in an artwork, but yet again she was not hinted, she is an assit trophy

Doc Louis who also appears in Little Mac's trailer was considered to be "hinted" by a really minority, in the end he is a victory pose for Little Mac.

If we take into account the destiny that ALL of the characters that appeared in another one trailer have had, I find hard to believe that Dark Pit would be different.

He is not teased like some people like to claim, Palutena was teased with Pseudo Palutena trophy, that is a tease because it suggest her but they didn't really show her, even Ridley can be considered as teased since we only see a shadow, we never see his face. But Dark Pit is different he is FULLY shown, Sakurai knows what he is doing, why burn all your cards when you can hype people showing a theorised Dark Pit in HIS OWN trailer.

People don't want Dark Pit for a number of reasons:
  • Thematically speaking is just a recolor of Pit, yeah he has personality etc but he is literaly a Pit in dark, even that was his origin from SSBB. At least Link and Toon Link have different sizes and model styles
  • Dark Pit holds little merits to Kid Icarus that more iconic choices like Medusa or Hades which are actual antagonist, including him is like including Makar, Medli or Midna from the Zelda series before the actual antagonist Ganondorf, or Toad being playable before Bowser.

So Dark Pit is really in the same category as Tom Nook, Isabelle, Doc Louis or all those pokemon in the Greninja trailer, than Sakurai trying to hint a playable role.

People will always overanalize, Dark Pit is more likely to be a pallete, an assist trophy or a stage element than being playable.

Lastly NO newcomer has been mentioned by NAME until they are revealed, but Dark Pit name is mentioned in the trailer.

To @ Kay kay Kay kay I hope I ilustrated well Dark Pit's situation to you and how the mayority thinks about him

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I'm convinced that Dark Pit will be an elaborate costume that has different voice clips from normal Pit.

While it would be cool to have him as character, there are many reasons why it seems unlikely. Dark Pit would likely be a clone of normal Pit, but even if he had a completely unique moveset, he just seems too aesthetically similar to Pit to justify being his own character, even more so than the likes of Dr. Mario in melee. Also, three Kid Iccarus Reps seems a bit overkill if you ask me (then again, so is three Star Fox reps). And if there were a third KI character, it seems like a waste not to pick someone more unique/important like Medusa or Hades (or eggplant wizard for that matter).

But yeah... Pittoo costume sounds pretty awesome, imo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm actually starting to think he'll even have a different name and essentially be a "different character" in the Tekken sense.

Since they are technically the same person, sharing a slot seems fine.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Sakurai said he chooses certain characters for a good balance. Darkpit has definitely one of the best opportunities for this. Maybe he has even the best opportunities. ^^ Darkpit offers an extensive moveset. Not every character can do this. ^^

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think Dark Pit will be a character on his own. At this point, it's far too unlikely.

It's like what other people said: alt for Pit with voice change (the likeliest possibility, in my opinion), Assist Trophy or stage hazard/boss.

I am very aware that Dark Pit could have a very distinct moveset (I've played Kid Icarus: Uprising, after all), but I don't see it happening anymore. A third Kid Icarus character is a stretch.

The best hope for a playable Dark Pit is having him as an alt for Pit: it's easy to implement from a development point of view (no harder than a texture swap like most costumes and a voice swap like WFT) and it helps that both Pit and Dark Pit share voice actors in both Japanese and English.

Worth mentioning is how Dark Pit is based on an alt color for Pit in Brawl. If said color was to be scrapped in favor of a NPC, it would be disappointing to say the least, considering how popular the black color was in Brawl (it was a common occurrence online), because no way in hell would Pit keep that black color while Dark Pit could potentially appear mid-battle as an NPC given the sheer similarities between both.

This is pretty much all that can be said about Dark Pit by now. All that's left is to wait until his role is clarified. The tease at the end of the trailer means Dark Pit will have some sort of role on the game. It's just the specifics that are unknown.

In other words, don't get your hopes in a playable Dark Pit as his own character. It will lead to a very likely disappointment.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Threw this together for all you Dark Pit lovers. :)
Since there was an option for the color in Brawl I highly doubt Sakurai would remove it for ssb4. Weather he gets his own voice or not we will just have to wait for official news.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Why is Dark Pit going to be a clone? Pit only uses the Sacred Bow, Dark Pit never uses this. Dark Pit would actually use items from Kid Icarus: Uprising and it would be incredibly unique. Orbitars can be the neutral special, for example; that wind club the Side B.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Threw this together for all you Dark Pit lovers. :)
Since there was an option for the color in Brawl I highly doubt Sakurai would remove it for ssb4. Weather he gets his own voice or not we will just have to wait for official news.

Nice pic. ^^ But Darkpit has purple eyes. ^^ But okay... I now I shouldn't hope for a playable Dark Pit as own character.. But I can't just helpit.

Maybe Nintendo will show only the veterans yet.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Let's say Dark Pit/Pittoo was a playable character what would he bring new to the table?

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Or new powers what didn't appear in Kid Icarus Uprising for example a curse to the character.

It should be difficult to hit the opponent like Ganondorfs warlock punch. But if it hits the opponent, he could interrupted in 1 of his attacks and Darkpit can attack the enemy. When it happens is different. ( Random ).

Or maybe another power of Kid Icarus Uprising for example Landmine, or random effect. Every hit could be another attack... poisen, freeze, burn.....

But another weapons would be nice too. ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom