• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darn Rage Quitters!

Rage Quitters....

• Suck

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Rock!

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Ol' King Dedede

Smash Cadet
It's r'lly annoyin' when you see a rage quitter. They just ruin the fun.

What do you think, people of smash boards?

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Sometimes I welcome it if it's an annoying spammer who lost at his own game. Other times it's unfortunate when it's a good match with a character who isn't the usual Captain Falcon/Macs/Zss/Ness etc. but then they're gone before the character screen hits.

I had a funny moment with this Lucas one time, he took my first stock early as Ike, and racked up a lot of damage on my last stock but I managed a comeback and won. Then at the character select screen he put, 'RAGE' and then left. After a few seconds I laughed cause it was, 'Oh I get it. First Rage and then he quit. Rage quit!' So that was more funny than anything.

Though sometimes you never really know what's happening on the other side, whether the person had to go or not. But in my case, I was able to experience it first hand with my brother. Fighting this Dedede several matches in a row and losing all of them, then he switched to Marth, his second best main. And he got two stocked but before Marth could 'die' he just shouted, 'I can't take it anymore!' and left before the results screen. I couldn't stop laughing for several seconds. But then he sort of 'forgot' that gives you a 20 min. ban and we had to play offline.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I find it interesting that we often assume players that leave after the first match to be "rage quitters" if they lost the match. I don't think it's ever safe to assume that, because there must be quite a few players who leave after one match just as a general rule. I used to do that, but then started playing threes because that's how real tournaments go. I've had players win against me and then leave. I've left after the first match because of various reasons like lag, or my opponent just wasn't very much fun to fight - am I seen as a rage quitter by those people?

The only time I can ever be sure is when they SD and kill themselves after a dominant 1st stock or something. That's a different story all together. I can always smell the venom as they fall to their deaths and they almost certainly don't fight me again after that.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
If I play against a DDD and I go for the fair with Sheik to hit back the gordo and instead it just hits me cuz lag and I die I unplug my ethernet, only get a 10 second ban for that usually which is nbd

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Over 5000 2vs2 timed matches online played. You would not believe how many of those had a rage quitter during the last few seconds. I can easily tell when somebody disconnects during a match, it must have over 500 separate instances by now.

I dont know if its because they threw their DS's against the wall or something and it broke or something or maybe they just said "screw it, I'm done with smash", but theres no point in trying to rage quit at the last second because the match still ends up counting as a loss.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I find it interesting that we often assume players that leave after the first match to be "rage quitters" if they lost the match. I don't think it's ever safe to assume that, because there must be quite a few players who leave after one match just as a general rule. I used to do that, but then started playing threes because that's how real tournaments go. I've had players win against me and then leave. I've left after the first match because of various reasons like lag, or my opponent just wasn't very much fun to fight - am I seen as a rage quitter by those people?

The only time I can ever be sure is when they SD and kill themselves after a dominant 1st stock or something. That's a different story all together. I can always smell the venom as they fall to their deaths and they almost certainly don't fight me again after that.
Funnily enough on your second paragraph, I actually have had an instance where I just SD'd cause I screwed up on my first stock (combo'ing offstage and then underestimating Roy's recovery) so I died early and the Link I was fighting still had low percentage since the match just started. So instead of wasting time (wasn't really in a mood to bother with some heroic 'comeback') I walked off the stage to end the match.

And I was greeted with the tag, 'ARETHOUMAD' because of it lol. I smiled thinking, 'Okay I'm mad apparently.' I wasn't even planning on leaving the room anyways. But yeah I guess every situation is different since you don't really know what's going on the other side. I always find that people who 'leave' before you even see them at the character stage again as 'rage quitting' since I tend to press the button pretty fast at results so I'm always surprised in a 'huh how'd they leave that fast?' lol. That's different than meeting the person at the results screen and then they leave.

Usually when I have to leave after one or two matches cause of irl problems I always put GGs tags and GTG, cause at that point I really have to go. And one time I could only play one match then it started pouring down hard so I wrote in the tag for 'Rain'. I don't know I just always like to keep my opponents informed of my intentions I guess lol.

Last edited:

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
I will immediately pull out my ethernet cable if I start the match and it begins lagging. I wont tolerate it and I shouldn't be expected to either. I also will immediately pull out if my opponent is playing double characters. I want to learn to get better at smash, not deal with your salty comeback attempt.
As long as I don't get punished for doing it (the 10 min lockout) then I have no issues leaving someone to play a 2 min game against bots for their poor life choices.

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
It all depends on how you played during your match. There are many good reasons for people to leave after one match.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I just had several rage quitters on my last For Glory session not even a half hour ago. Then again, I did get Mega Uppercuts and Flame Blasts on them, so I expect a lot of salt from that.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I guess it depends on what you mean by "Rage Quitters" to be honest. What I consider Rage Quitting is when my opponent purposely SDs during a match, and about 80% of the time they leave immediately. And boy I've come across a lot of those.

It seems the number of Rage Quitters have spiked a lot after the release of the Youtube feature. I encounter it a lot on 1V1 For Glory and most of the time it's either (I'm assuming to be) new players or people who just aren't very good at the game. I have encountered three to four Rage Quitters in a single hour since the Youtube feature was added.

Before the Youtube feature I never encountered them at all. It's strange.

Just yesterday I went against a Wii Fit Trainer who just up and gave up while I was playing as Mr. Game & Watch, but luckily he stayed and just switched characters (he played a lot better too, so I guess they were just trying Wii Fit Trainer out). Other than that, I wouldn't consider leaving after one match Rage Quitting unless they decide to insult you before they leave. If it's someone who is very disrespectful, win or lose I will leave after one match cause there's no point in staying with someone like that.

I do try to do the best "two of three" matches though, or if I really enjoy playing against a person win or lose I'll stay a lot longer.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I hate when people leave after one match. I like to do best of 3's or best of 5's, and if I get completely wrecked I want them to stay longer so I can find out how to win. I'll even throw out a "plz stay" and "practice" tag out to try and keep players who outplay me in the lobby.
The thing that gets me mad is when people win a match and leave... That makes me upset. And when people lose 2 matches in a row, then start lagging out of nowhere.
Ragequitters aren't a problem with me, poor sports who take their single W and leave and/or purposely induce lag when losing make me upset.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The only way for me to tell if there was a rage quitter was when they intentionally SD after losing their first stock, use their game tag to throw insults then leaves after losing and if I get disconnected during a match just as I was about to win. I've had one of those a few times and the salt was as a real as it gets.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I have no problem if someone got bodied and got 0 to death on the first stock and then choose to SD, that's perfectly reasonable. Who would want to get that twice? If they then change their name to stuff like "U SUCK" that's not cool. I have no problem if someone does a one and done match, it's only when they dump their salt all over the place it gets annoying.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
Depends on the context really. If I'm well in the lead in the match, and the person is struggling to get a hit in, I wouldn't be bothered if they choose to quit - I do the same, sometimes. If they decide to stick around for more matches, I'll be impressed, but if they don't, I'm not really gonna judge. Not every act of quitting is an act of anger. They could just be demoralised or tired or even just bored.

SixthArmy

Smash Rookie
I don't mind rage quitters, I mean what can you do about them? Harsh punishments don't make sense, it's just a game.

Even I double SD if there's lag, that's a given. The most common reasons I've found for rage quitting are lag, being overwhelmingly down, or wanting to use a different character. If someone's down a stock and only put on 20% on my first, I don't blame them for leaving. I mean, we both know how it's going to go down and most people don't want to get run over. It's boring and most people aren't invested in the game like it's their job.

If they want to go a different character it's usually pretty obvious since they quickly pick right after the match.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I hate when people leave after one match. I like to do best of 3's or best of 5's, and if I get completely wrecked I want them to stay longer so I can find out how to win. I'll even throw out a "plz stay" and "practice" tag out to try and keep players who outplay me in the lobby.
The thing that gets me mad is when people win a match and leave... That makes me upset. And when people lose 2 matches in a row, then start lagging out of nowhere.
Ragequitters aren't a problem with me, poor sports who take their single W and leave and/or purposely induce lag when losing make me upset.
That's probably make them quit more by those tags.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Rage quiters just make me laugh. I give two strikes and if they quit again, then I'm done and they just wasting my time. One of them was using Roy and I beat him a bunch of times because he keep using the same playstyle over and over. I ask if he needs any tips for improvement, but he didn't want any and told me "Get good and stop using Luigi". If rage quitters makes insults, then I ain't gonna bother replying or take them serious because what I smell is "saitness".

IxaVerse

Smash Rookie
I was just playing today and this Lucina tried to do her neutral B.. I knew how easy this was to punish so I rolled behind... Except I didn't. My controller didn't read my input right so I just shielded. I thought "Oh **** I need to roll!" And I tried to do the same manuever but it still didn't read so my shield broke. He taunted and KO'd me but I got pissed off so hard that I accidentally pressed "Start" and somehow pressed the yes option. So here I am banned for a couple of minutes and some guy thinking he's amazing because he managed to take a stock off me.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Rage quitters, well maybe I can't blame them sometimes. Especially if you play in such a way where you make it seem impossible for them to rack up damage. Or you know exactly what they are trying to do and you don't get fooled. Or they feel you're too aggressive and seem to know exactly what you're trying to do even when trying to mix things up. Maybe they don't know their character that well or my play style that well yet. Or sometimes they see you use a certain character and are like "Aww heck no, I don't have a chance against that.", then suicide both stocks at the start of the match. That happened the other day when someone on For Glory saw me use Duck Hunt, after being beaten by my other characters.

How about this kind of rage quitter if it counts: Practicing with a character, the match up isn't going so well, so they suicide. Then they switch to their main and suddenly, they are good. As though they are completely different people. That happened to me some time ago, some guy using Robin used his "Time To Tip The Scales!" taunt when I was winning, he suicides, then switches to his main I guess and he's pretty good with this other character that gave me a hard time. And of course, even when I beat this annoying main character a few times, feels the need to stick to it.

Top Bottom