• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DA's Biweekly Gauntlet: July 16th Tagburg, NY

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Im going to a Weezer concert that exact day and time in the area =/

IM TIGHT!
Oh yeah, I heard about that from my co-workers. They're going to the Weezer concert, but I'm going to play some Melee :3

DIP!

ballplayer22k

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

I'm new to the area, and I'll be here until the end of August. I don't think I know any of you, except for Tommy. I've been to a couple of ESTICLEs in CT and am part of a New Hampshire crew. I'm strictly Melee and unfortunately I won't be able to make it to this until like 8:30 because of work. So if you see a luigi main walking around looking for friendlies, that'll be me.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
if I dip. im saying 6:45pm 7 at the latest. If I hit traffic I may be screwed but like I can take shortcuts thru CT. looks like theres no GWB to pass on the way to BK so like I may be good with traffic. hopefully around the time I get close traffic dies down? it does at around 6:30 ish here in New Haven.

yo you hsould give me your number so I txt you and **** from work with updates.

D1

Banned via Administration
if I dip. im saying 6:45pm 7 at the latest. If I hit traffic I may be screwed but like I can take shortcuts thru CT. looks like theres no GWB to pass on the way to BK so like I may be good with traffic. hopefully around the time I get close traffic dies down? it does at around 6:30 ish here in New Haven.

yo you hsould give me your number so I txt you and **** from work with updates.
I'm lookin for ya on aim so I can pass ya my number.

Btw the earliest ppl can come in is at 5pm. Please bring GameCubes and Wiis if ya can!

D1

For those coming from Penn Station. The the A/C/E train to West 14th St./W 14th St. get off trasnfer to the L train and take it to Bedford Ave. Then you walk to 257 Grand Ave from there. It'll be on the corner of Grand Ave. and Roebling.

If you walk straight down Bedford towards Grand make a left on Grand till you reach Roebling.

For any further assistance just give me a call tomorrow @ 646-247-8609.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Announcement

Also people if you want to bring wiis/cubes brawl/melee thats fine i will see if we can use it but I REPEAT NO ONE CAN BRING TVS TO SET UP WE HAVE ENOUGH AND CRTS JUST ARENT SEXY AND UNIFORMED LOOKING SO PLEASE NO TVS!!!

otg

Smash Master
Yeah, sorry we all dipped out. Weren't feeling the lack of setups/room/brawlplayers/$10 venue. Getting ****ed up in BK instead.

Good **** to Vanz for winning and Jman getting last place? How the **** did that happen?

/future shout-outs.

We might actually comeback at some point, but we aint feeling it now.

D1

We had 4 setups later on, it was pretty **** fun as the time flew. Once the tourney was over we had epic teams friendlies going on all over the place. Swift came by and got 3rd, Hax 2nd, and Jman 1st. Shoutout to Hax for brining his local pals to the event. Shouotut to Wes giving everyone a slice of the cake he bought.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I dipped, but I wasn't going to play $15 for 3 set ups between 16 people.
Split up the melee and brawl events so there is room for everyone.

Tag!!!!! I live like 8 blocks from you but we never play. wtf
I want to play all of salad bowl more.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i talked to gmoney about this(well at least first paragraph lol):

component cables for the wiis get rid of a HUGE amount of the lag. I practiced on flat screens with component cables for 3 years in PA and I used one in my hotel room at pound 4 with the europeans who also didn't have a complaint. I have one pair that i would be willing to bring to the event. If DA or whoever goes to gamestop and purchases 3-4 more(15 bucks and also work with 360 and ps3) We would have a decent amount of tvs to run a tourney with. Playing with the AVs takes a bit of time to adjust and stuff(everyone had trouble) but even with them by the end of the night we were all playing our mains and stuff. With the component cables for Wii things would be fine. I am SOOOOOOOOOO sure of it since I have over 3 years of experience switching between components cabled wii's and CRTs. There is NO doubt in my mind that CRTS are the best choice but like the transition is nearly seemless ESPECIALLY if you are going to a tourney FRESH without having played on a CRT prior. Its not like we are playing on a CRT one match and then going to a flat screen with component cables in another match.(that would be insane).

I understand the disagreement that some ppl may have, but from what I know it is rly hard to secure a venue and stuff. Given that it would take a long time to find another venue.. I am just suggesting the best possible option given the standing policies(of not bringing in CRTS or whatever.) and the current ability to get venues(and sponsors etc...) for melee. In short....make due with what we have for the time being.

I would suggests that these be on saturdays or that the venue stay open longer on fridays but Im assuming that if it can be done that, it is in the process of being so or that it was at least tried already.(since there is a general consensus that SAT is better than FRI for the standard tourney)

I would also suggest that brawl be held on its own and that melee be held on its own in rotating fashion but as I look at other communities.........the "lack" of setups that us smasher describe seems to be quite the norm at many locals for other games. Once again, given the current standing of the melee (community in comparison to the rest ) I do not think that we are in the position to get/demand more setups and stuff in the mist of other games. WHen it comes to commerical success we are at the bottom and it is only logical that business owners and stuff like tri force/evo/whoever cares the least about melee and that accessories or favors requested by us are not considered as greatly as they would be for *Insert more popular fighting game*................If you are still reading.............this conformity that I am suggesting is a step I think that melee and brawl(sooner than later for melee) will need eventually to take to last longer and be more of a commercial success. The latter is almost a direct a reference to one of the themes of my thread in melee discussion titled "scene future"(and if you read that wall of text this paragraph comes to together well for you). I understand that ppl disagree with my this claim but I'm not here to argue just to illustrate a point and provoke thought about the future of the game that we've all invested so much time into and reiterate a point in a real life setting.

TL DR; if we rly wanna make this venue work lets conform to some standards and make the best of what we have. We are an old game so like we have no sway in terms of changing the standards of fighting games so lets fit best we can so we can gain/revive/maintain some success in some sort of commercial aspect(which hopefully in turn will grant us more opportunities as a community in the long run)

BTW thx for holding this. It was still good practice and I am glad that gmoney came back to **** in teams with me. We're teaming and winning a tristate event one of these days.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Hiya

I have a close friend moving to the NY/NJ area and if anyone lives near the area(s) of Flushing, New York, it'd be greatly appreciated... I'm sure more competition is always a good thing right... If it serves any value Axe, and myself trained him so he knows the ropes... just trying to stay competetive...

anyone w/info P.M. me or respond here, and i'll check back later ^^ thanks all

*sniff* NY People are evil.. I <333 all you guys too *sniff*

otg

Smash Master
I'm with you swift, but tolls alone are like $20 round trip for me, on top of like 4+ hours of traffic round trip (and my friends can attest to this, it was horrible)... so it was hard for me to justify entering to play on 2 laggy TV's amongst like 20+ people. If Melee and Brawl were split up, that would be amazing, and if there is a way to adjust lag? even better. This past time I just wasn't feeling it.

I think this venue is really for all the NYC kids, because you all have cheap access to public transportation. So ****ing step it up people, I know I'm going to come in the future to support (tho I ain't driving).

Grey Fox

Smash Journeyman
Im def down to donate a component cable to the venue, ill cop one from gamestop. I really want this venue to workk. and Btw Had mad fun at the tourney, I love everyone just screaming DIP lol too good. And swift goood gamess, I want some more fox ditto practice with you dude. My fox was looking mad scared and nervous lol. DA good stuff.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
agreed otg. I mean 30 ppl(roughly) showing up and then half of them leaving just isnt a concern for like the ppl coming thru traffic and stuff but I mean its a general concern, hence the reason I posted. I felt that lots of ppl didnt want to participate and rightfully so.

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
I agree with everything swift said. (I skimmed though so don't kill me if I disagree later) :chuckle:

Roor, we haven't actually been playing at all in the past month or so, but with apex coming up I've been meaning to start playing again so pm me your number and I'll hit you up.

HelpR

Smash Ace
for those interested in wii component cables, I was the one who had lent one out for the middle melee setup in the tourney, if you want one cheap, get them from here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083007&p_id=5689&seq=1&format=2

incredible website btw, the quality is the same as the gamestop crap, but at a 5th of the price. Its the same cable i was using and it eliminates lag on my 30 inch LCD

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
Wait so if I were to buy one of these cables for my huge LCD flatscreen, I could play melée on it lagfree?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I like how I can always tell who's typing from their iPhone with the "melée" auto correct haha.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
wow...................is your convo really so important? i can't even get a single.. sorry vman.. nobody here knows.. etc...anything? really it's not hard....i'm not that hated am I?

Top Bottom