• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash-Dancing With Fox

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
How should I dash-dance with Fox. I DD a lot, but I'm not sure if I should just DD extremely fast or wait for the dash animation to play out. I usually go really fast, but sometimes I'm not sure which way to go and I end up trying to do something too late and get grabbed :p

tips/thoughts?

BlueMagic

Smash Rookie
Change it up, the whole point of DD is to take advantage of an opponent coming right at you so you can react to it accordingly. So basically its a mindgame that you're supposed to control. So you doing it too fast means that you can't control it. Try to test out different speeds and play with it for a while. Everyone has different preferences on their playstyle.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Change it up, the whole point of DD is to take advantage of an opponent coming right at you so you can react to it accordingly. So basically its a mindgame that you're supposed to control. So you doing it too fast means that you can't control it. Try to test out different speeds and play with it for a while. Everyone has different preferences on their playstyle.

Alright, thanks.

I have been practicing, and I can DD better know and avoid grabs, etc.

But when someone throws a dash attack or a move with lots of range, it beats my DD easily.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
But BlueMagic what if I want to attack the opponent? If the opponent isn't coming right at me, can I still use dash dance effectively?

BlueMagic

Smash Rookie
@Hakkat You can use a wavedash within your wavedash to avoid such long range attacks then counterattack OR you can even shield and counterattack. Who said you can't shield during a DD!

@KirbyKaze There are a few ways to actually approach the opponent with DD. You can actually start timing your DD so it moves in one direction longer. Your opponent would either have to back off more closer to the ledge or try to attack where he'll come toward you. Either way, you win.

Remember, the whole point of the DD is that its a mind game. Be unpredictable with it and use it effectively.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Thanks SO MUCH! Great Tips!!!! If you have any more tips please share them here! :)

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
@Hakkat You can use a wavedash within your wavedash to avoid such long range attacks then counterattack OR you can even shield and counterattack. Who said you can't shield during a DD!

@KirbyKaze There are a few ways to actually approach the opponent with DD. You can actually start timing your DD so it moves in one direction longer. Your opponent would either have to back off more closer to the ledge or try to attack where he'll come toward you. Either way, you win.

Remember, the whole point of the DD is that its a mind game. Be unpredictable with it and use it effectively.
Also, I think I will probably do a quick DD, because when I wait for the whole long animation to play out, I am totally vulnerable. Thanks though! :)

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
If you extend your dash dance too far, you will definitely be vulnerable, but if you don't extend it much at all you may as well be standing still

Yeah, I figured that out recently as well when I was playing around with the different styles. I finally found the perfect one! (It seems like good Fox players use this too) it goes just far enough, but you're not too vulnerable, while you are still slightly moving. It's working really well so far! :)

Alotsa

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks.

I have been practicing, and I can DD better know and avoid grabs, etc.

But when someone throws a dash attack or a move with lots of range, it beats my DD easily.
Knowing when to DD is as important as DD'ing well. Fox’s DD is less punishable than others but a player can still plow right through it if you do it ineffectively/predictably.

Its sounds like you're using DD’ing to much in your approach. DD is more about mind games and keeping your left/right options open within a finite space not something you should be trying to do constantly or whenever you have open/free space.

One of the best times to DD is when the other player is under pressure/playing defensively this is when their most likely to make a reaction that can be punished.

Now when you combine WD’ing with DD’ing Fox’s options and range increase dramatically.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Didn't even read the other things in here but I'm going to just say what my brother taught me.

But usually a good way to practice dash dancing is to go to FD and do dash dancing from one side of the stage to the other without messing up. If you mess it up then re-do it. Once you're done with that side do the other side. Once you do that do different lengths of dash dances back and forth on the stage. You want to have the reactions to be prepared for anything and need to be able to have good fluid movement to get away from all/most situations.

Top Bottom