• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dashgrabs/Jump-cancelled grabs.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Is there any situations where using a dashgrab would be more beneficial than using a Jump-cancelled grab? If so, please explain.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Well for sheik I know that each type of grab has its benefits.

You can do dash attack -> grab (the same way you do jump -> grab for jc grab) and you'll do an extended dash grab, which my friend call a "boost" grab as it moves you more forward than normal, thus longer.

Where as JC grab for sheik is shorter, yet less lag/faster to grab.

As quoted from smash wiki:

"The boost grab is easier to perform in Melee. However, the player can't jump cancel the boost grab and only Sheik, Fox, and Falco get the most use out of it. "

Acryte

Smash Ace
Jump cancelling a grab is safer because usually the recovery time is considerably less than the dash grab. The jump cancelled grab has extended range due to the slide before the grab, but it's hitbox doesn't increase in distance. The dash grab's hitboxes might possibly be more or less disjointed from char to char, haven't researched it much but yea. I know some characters dash grabs can reach behind them like Marth's. Just check out the hitboxes from char to char, UsurperKingZant has a lot of characters hitboxes up on his youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/UsurperKingZant

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I believe Yoshi is an exception, since his dash-grab comes out on a sooner frame than his standing (or jump-cancelled) grab.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Isn't Samus's dash grab faster as well?
I always try to jump-cancel with Samus, since I feel like her dash-grab is just crap overall. Pivoting grabs with her (basically the same thing, except for spacing) is also very clutch. I don't know her frames, surprisingly. I do believe her grabboxes are fairly different for dash and jump-cancel grabs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I always try to jump-cancel with Samus, since I feel like her dash-grab is just crap overall. Pivoting grabs with her (basically the same thing, except for spacing) is also very clutch. I don't know her frames, surprisingly. I do believe her grabboxes are fairly different for dash and jump-cancel grabs.
Grab

Total: 94
Grab: 18-37

Running grab

Total: 74
Grab: 18-27, 30-33
Yeah, running grab doesn't start faster, but it ends sooner. There's no reason to use standing grab except I think it grabs further.

Acryte

Smash Ace
wow smf got hacked? lol

"I know some characters dash grabs can reach behind them like The Gingerbreading Man's. (Marth's)"

hahaha

Signia

Smash Lord
etwists you scared the **** outta me, your post came outta nowhere

Mizar

Smash Ace
falcon has a hitbox behind him when he dashgrabs.Still I would only use JC grabs I guess.

Massive

Smash Champion
JC grabs will miss a crouching Jigglypuff/kirby on many characters when a dashgrab would work (mostly Sheik and Marth, sometimes Falcon).
This is the only reason not to JC grab unless you're going for the boostgrab.

Top Bottom