• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dashing Upsmash Input (tilt stick)

seoh

Smash Cadet
So I recently began exploring JCUS OOS as another trick to use in my play, and in the process learned that using z allows you to avoid charging the up smash (tilt stick, tap jump off). Anyways, I was wondering how people felt about inputting dash > up smash options? I've started to prefer using z vs a, partially because if I flub I prefer the grab over dash attack (more options), though admittedly this seems like a backwards reason to determine an optimal input. Additionally I recognize that this is situational, for example in a tech chase scenario it might be far less optimal to flub into a grab vs a dash attack. I do go back and forth though, for instance, I never use z when up smashing off of the usual kill set ups (dair, weak nair, jab2, or any tech chase).

Any thoughts? Also, a kind of side question since I am a bit new, is there any reason to jump cancel a dash to upsmash? JC in smash 4 is only faster for OOS options, right?

Edit: Wanted to clarify my understanding of JCUS with fox. Ignoring the OOS option, JCUS is no faster than a regular US input correct? Assuming no charge of the US. Of course OOS, JC is faster than without. However, the advantage of JCUS out of a dash is that you slide farther, realistically covering more space while the hitbox is active, correct? So theoretically, any US with forward momentum is best off JC'd (assuming correct input)?

Last edited:

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
I was about to make a thread out of this. I use tap jump (I know I'm a scrub get over it), I'm not sure if it's just placebo, but using z over A, gives me a longer slide. This is actually longer then regular jump cancelled up smash, which I do by default because of tap to jump. This makes connecting the nair/dair to upsmash easier, but it takes a bit of practice.

Last edited:

seoh

Smash Cadet
Whenever I miss a JC usmash I get an fair, not a dash attack or grab.
Sorry, I meant that if I flub an up smash input with z, I get a grab. If I miss the JCUS with z, I get an air dodge.

I was about to make a thread out of this. I use tap jump (I know I'm a scrub get over it), I'm not sure if it's just placebo, but using z over A, gives me a longer slide. This is actually longer then regular jump cancelled up smash, which I do by default because of tap to jump. This makes connecting the nair/dair to upsmash easier, but it takes a bit of practice.
I think its impossible to slide with z? Its my understanding that with z set to grab, you can't actually charge a smash attack. So the reason why I've been using it when I can is to avoid the unintentional small charge of inputting the smash attack with a, due to not using smash stick.

But your point about following up nair/dair makes me curious, so I'll have to try that.

Edit (I'll add this to OP): Wanted to clarify my understanding of JCUS with fox. Ignoring the OOS option, JCUS is no faster than a regular US input correct? Assuming no charge of the US. Of course OOS, JC is faster than without. However, the advantage of JCUS out of a dash is that you slide farther, realistically covering more space while the hitbox is active, correct? So theoretically, any US with forward momentum is best off JC'd (assuming correct input)?

Last edited:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I have jump set to L so when I jc u smash I don't slide my fingers I just press L then mash up and A. The positives to it are numerous such as sliding further, being able to turn it around while running, and slung it oos.

I didn't know you could use z for it, though. Is there ACTUALLY a difference in length slid vs a? If so that'd be amazing.

Last edited:

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
I have jump set to L so when I jc u smash. The positives to it are numerous such as sliding further, being able to turn it around while running, and slung it oos.

I didn't know you could use z for it, though. Is there ACTUALLY a difference in length slid vs a? If so that'd be amazing.
I had a difficult time testing it, but I tried it in two different ways.
1. I started from the ledge and did regular jc up smash and recorded the distance using the squares on windy hill zone. I did this again using z, and recorded the distance. Overall there was a half a block distance with z being farther. However I recognize this could be due to human error.
2. I went to the right side of the stage and ran till I hit the point where the squares start to appear. Using both methods. I think this was a bit more inaccurate, but I found that they each went about the same distance. I think at this point it's probably placebo, but it still seems to slide farther.

seoh

Smash Cadet
I did some testing myself on Windy Hill zone and just through eye balling the blocks, I see no difference between Z or A inputs as for distance with JCUS over several repetitions. As we already know, it is about ~1-2 blocks longer of a skid than a regular, not JC, US.

I have jump set to L so when I jc u smash I don't slide my fingers I just press L then mash up and A. The positives to it are numerous such as sliding further, being able to turn it around while running, and slung it oos.

The benefit of inputting with z is that it is impossible to charge. This way you can avoid the traditional problem of inputting smashes with tilt stick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom