• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD & MK... are brothrs (good secondary)

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Hello, Im a DDD main, and Olimar is a horrible counter for DDD... i would rather do ganon/sheik then DDD/olimar.

So i picked up MK, who seems to do excellent against olimar.
so I tested it out some more, and MK seems to do great against the characters that counter DDD (quick, projectile user, small)

then I asked around, and apparently, the type of people who counter MK, are exactly the same type of people that DDD excels against (strong kill moves)

so, Meta-Knight and DDD seem to cover eachothers weaknesses pretty well.
their play styles are very similar for having such different counters.
they are bothe badass allies from dreamland.
they both have inherent badassery (MK, DDD)

So, wha do you guys think?

use this thread to discuss ways in which we can help eachothers counters... stuff like that.

DarkHero9360

Smash Cadet
your right, lord ddd and m.knight are good partners. i use mk and snake when i'm not using ddd but i need practice with mk ,my snake is very good and can give alot of people who counter ddd trouble, like ''sigh''.....falco.( fox and wolf are nothing to lord ddd.....NOTHING!!)

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I was also playing around with MK for a bit with my brother yesterday. I've pretty much only been playing D3 since the game was released but I figured I should start learning some other characters in case it turns out that D3 really isn't as good as he seems for tourneys. I have to agree MK is a perfect secondary for D3, but I have this bad habit of miscounting my jumps; I'm too used to D3's 4 jumps.

I've been using Snake some too and he seems like a good secondary. I wanted to use Samus (I've been seconding her since 64) but she just seems so bleh now.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
The issue of finding a good secondary for DDD seems like a really good thread.

MK is a great suggestion. I think anyone who's fast and decent would be a great secondary.

Just off the top of my head: MK, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Sonic (takes more practice), C. Falcon (will take MUCH more practice), Pit?, Toon Link, am I missing anyone?

What do you guys think? (I'm really trying to figure out a good, complimentary secondary to my DDD)

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Pfft. Toon Link is such a tier *****, I wount touch that guy... mainly because logic would force me to main him for all competive matches.

CF just sucks, but he really doesnt counter anyone that counters DDD IMO. no way to get the pikmin off either.

fox, falco, wolf... they have the same problem as MK, they are just good charcters in general. but they dont have any special advantage against DDD's counters... in fact, they still might have problems against Olimar... what with their size helping to avoid much of the lazors and no quick shake off for the pikmin.

the only other one that would equal MK in the "yin-yang counter cover" would be sonic IMO... both sonic and MK are verry similar in their matchups... but MK is much more similar to DDD's play-style, and besides, he's DDD's servant. how cool is that?

Save the Asians

Smash Cadet
How do they play similar though? I'm probably thinking about picking up MK since I just got owned by my friend's Pit. As much as I don't want to say it, I guess I have to choose another character to fight after his rapid spamming B neut. and his side B which just beats the crap outta my DDD. Haven't tried Meta yet, but hopefully he'll be a great counter against Pit. =(

meestertiny

Smash Cadet
metaknight seems like a decent character as a secondary, I'm also thinking of diddy kong

or...olimar dittos? :p

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
MK is considered one of the best characters right now. As much as toon link. So by playing MK you don't exactly avoid tier whoring.

It's cool that MK is DDD's servant though ^^

Diddy is an idea! Still potentially a high tier character.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
i figured this out as soon as i got the game, lolz

i have been swithcing to metaknight more often though, now that i'm working my way up GB

165th! wooo!!

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
[noob question] working your way up the who what now?[/noob question]

Seriously tho, imo, kirby is a great pick for characaters d3 struggles with, but I can definatly see how MK is also. As far as olimar goes, a very aggressive kirby that gives him no room to breathe seems to work VERY well from my experience.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I really dont know much about kirby.
he does well against small projectile users as well?

yes, kirby does seem to fill th role then... and you can still swollowcide.
so assuming that kirby is as improved as people seem to think, it would be a matter of preference.

normally, I would be against it. As Kirby is a treacherous and unfaithful vassal. who refuses to recognize DDD as his King and Liege-Lord... But DDD seemed to forgive Kirby at the end of the SSE, so i will do likewise.

MLG Mune

Smash Cadet
Me and my bro 2v2 i(DDD) and he(MK). Works fine. PLus DDD has like the best air game imo. Masa(mk) seems to do well vs 2 ppl long enough for me to get a fsmash off. he also uses nado and brings ppl into my fsmash. ddd only needs 1 lucky hit and its over. plus he has survivabilty(something that the other hard hitting chars dont).

the only weakness MK has is no projectiles and dieing to easily imo.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
normally, I would be against it. As Kirby is a treacherous and unfaithful vassal. who refuses to recognize DDD as his King and Liege-Lord... But DDD seemed to forgive Kirby at the end of the SSE, so i will do likewise.
And just think, kirby is supposed to be dedede's mortal enemy, and yet he lets that freeloader live in his country, he must like the little guy at least a bit, man dedede's such a swell guy. Oh and dont forget how MK is unable to sport the D3 fashion like kirby can. :chuckle:

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
I like Pikachu to compliment dedede, but I just like pikachu.
I use Squirtle as my Dedede's second....and it's working out fabulously for me thus far
I Also use pkmn trainer as a secondary (although lately I've just been messing around with all sorts of characters to find someone I like) , I enjoy all* the pokemon in brawl.. Although I would like to hear some other opinions on these choices.

*jigglypuff doesn't count. f that

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
i think pikachu is better for me against olimar because of thunder and those electric attacks on the pikmin, but i also use ROB on other character when not using DDD

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
My secondary is Wario. do you think this is a good (okay) partner? he's not particuarly fast, but has good DI and fast aerials and smashes. also, he's good for close-range combat, which comes in handy. this is probably the wrong place to ask this but is he good (or okay) against pikimin?

Top Bottom