• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deaf or Blind?

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

blahman179

Smash Cadet
This one's pretty hard, but I'd choose blind.

Yeah I can't see, but I'd rather listen to music rather than look at art. As long as I'm not blind from birth, I'd be completely ok being blind (I mean, yeah sure it'd take time to get used to, but overall, I'd rather hear). Besides, at least talking isn't that hard when I can hear and talk at the same time. And superhuman hearing ftw
EXACTLY!

Jumpin' around like Daredevil.

Musics my life, and I've actually trained myself to play with my eyes closed by memorizing the fret positions., so being blind wouldn't be all that bad for me.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Probably blind, since I'd still be able to play every instrument, and hear any song. And being able to have a normal conversation with my best friend. I can live without videogames, not music though.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally prefer to be blind. Music is something that I love very much, and I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with never hearing it again. I mean, yeah, it'd be harder to adapt to every day life without being able to see rather than hear, but so much of my life is music I think I could deal.

I'm curious as to what people would say if they would be only deaf or blind for a fixed amount of time. If I would only be deaf for like a year or two, heck, even five, I would rather that than being blind for that time. As long as I knew I wasn't going to be blocked off from hearing forever I'd be content, and it'd be much easier to adjust to the deafness.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Can't play vidja games without sight D:

But seriously though, no one can communicate with a deaf person unless they know sign language (which, by the way, isn't universal. Different languages have different sign languages), so if you're deaf you'd be kind of isolated.

Jonas

Smash Champion
How about a month. You know, a period of time sufficiently long enough to make sure you actually have to go on about your daily live instead of pretending to be blind all day and be like "man, being blind sucks". Like I said, you're severely limited in who you can talk to. Unless all your friends know sign language, you wouldn't really be able to have a social life outside the Internet (and if all your friends know sign language without being deaf or working with deafs, you can tell it probably sucks to hang out with them).

July

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if i could live without my music, but I would have to choose deaf anyways...I just can't imagine never being able to see my friends and family, things like not being able to see my mom's face when I graduate from college...that would be too hard. And I think I could at least try to read lips, and there is texting and writing as a way of communicating...it seems like it would be an easier adjustment for me, but that's a personal opinion.

I realize this is also a stretch, but my dog recently went blind and watching him and helping him get used to it has been really hard; things like getting around the house have come easy to him, but someone has to be with him outside at all times so he can find the stairs into the house, and he can get a little overwhelmed if he hears too many voices at once from different locations. For a person on a grander scale, recognizing everyone (especially new people) by voice and adjusting to even more things like being blind in a city with cars and streets and and so many people, I think I'd be immediately overwhelmed.

Top Bottom