• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with diddy's banana tech

Takua1

Smash Rookie
NNID
keattz
3DS FC
4682-8726-4214
Does your usmash deflect the next banana that he throws at you (when you're smash boosting)?

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
like a month ago i lost to a very smart diddy in the semi finals in the winners bracket
reflector does work but he would always throw it near my feet, or wait for the split second i stop my reflector. try not to focus on the bananas to much for example dont let your primary tactic be " using diddys bananas against him." if you face a diddy, BAN FINAL DESTINATION. the more and lower platforms the better.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Shield a banana, then short hop aerial out of shield to grab it out of the air.

You can also jump out of shield with shine to hit Diddy out of his followup attack. I'm not sure but that may reflect the banana too.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
well i dont have any problems with diddy
my brother mains diddy and i play him all the time
and i beat ninja link's diddy in tourny
just reflector....and throw them back at them...be smart when you hit him with the banna...and techchase him with it to a dsmash
plus his recovery can be gimped REALLY easy

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I play Wolf and Diddy as 2 of my mains, so here's my take on the situation, explained simply:

Diddy is a wildcard character at tournaments, because you never know how proficient the person you're playing against is with items, and diddy has the most items that can stay on the field for use (Sorry Zamus, ours come out more than once :p.)

Diddy is all about keeping a momentum. His bananas are overrated. You can use the bananas to perform the same mindtricks he uses on you. He just gets to be the arbiter of how many bananas are in play.

Things to watch for (Both good and bad):
Diddy can bair twice in one short hop, and it has lagless landing.
Diddy's got 3 spikes: dair, upB, and facehump-jump
The kung-fu foot of his forward B has wicked priority. Think of it like Jigg's pound.
When Diddy forward B's, if he pulls the kung-fu foot out, he can't barrel recover.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I've also been playing with Diddy as a possible main, the glide toss pwns by the way.

But anyway, what I try to do is stay in the air as long as possible, not letting him get a chance to trip me. And when you land, bring out a reflector (and make sure you're not in glide toss distance) Unless of course you want to attack Diddy when you land, but that's up to you. If you're in a tournament, counterpick stages with platforms (I wouldn't recommend Smashville or FD for this matchup) Also, take the opportunity of the fact that Diddy's Fsmash (His main kill move) has two hits, this gives you more time to properly DI the attack.

Other than that, stage control and spacing. You absolutely have to control the stage, otherwise, Diddy will do so absolutely.

§witch

Smash Lord
Just listen to candy. Ninjalink has one of the best diddy's right now. Keep reflecting the **** out of the nanners so he can't remember which are his and which aren't, as long as he's confused, you're in control.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
like a month ago i lost to a very smart diddy in the semi finals in the winners bracket
reflector does work but he would always throw it near my feet, or wait for the split second i stop my reflector. try not to focus on the bananas to much for example dont let your primary tactic be " using diddys bananas against him." if you face a diddy, BAN FINAL DESTINATION. the more and lower platforms the better.
I keep having the same problem at tounys and get beaten by the same guy before finals!!!! I usaly pick FD -_-, bad choice on my part. I wont do that ever again. thanks for the advice :)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Diddy is not that hard. I actually find his bananas very useful. Wolf has the right tools to deal with them and once diddy trips you'll get a free use of blaster or fsmash.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
0-lag forward air will pick up a thrown naner at any point in the shop. Its what I use since it'll also stop his dash attack. I have a tough time using his banana against him though, but thats because I never get to practice against diddy's.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Just listen to candy. Ninjalink has one of the best diddy's right now. Keep reflecting the **** out of the nanners so he can't remember which are his and which aren't, as long as he's confused, you're in control.
LMAO keep thinking that works. I always remember which bananas are mine and the ones that arent i make use of them in a way ppl didnt see much of yet. Ask azen. I took his stock JUST BECAUSE the banana wasnt mine.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Rune. Why you gotta be breaking my balls man?
: D

Now that I've figured out where you're getting your help from, I'm going to have to change up my game completely. Last weekend definitely showed that the advice you'd gotten here had worked. But towards the end I started changing up my playstyle.

The shield to grab does work, but then you have to figure out what you're going to do with it, since I can simply do the same thing when you throw it back at me (And if other Diddy mains are good, catching items thrown at them with a timed airdodge is almost second nature).

Use that banana against Diddy.
But don't just throw it and hope for the best.

Can wolf Glide Toss well? I've never tried.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolf's glide toss is near nonexistent. Bananas aren't TOO bad, you just need to play a lot of diddys, you just have to outplay him with his own bananas. Playing some diddy might also help, getting to know your enemy is useful.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Reflect some, grab some, pressure with blaster, mix it up. Wolf can deal with bananas pretty well. Brinstar may be a viable counterpick, since a lot of banana tech is ground based and Wolf has no problem recovering here.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
An item toss out of a boost smash? Sounds nice. This might help vs ROB too

Top Bottom