• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with excessively campy player

Tstemp

Smash Rookie
I just picked up Lucas about a week ago and love him! However one of my good friends plays both Ness and Ike and is a rather trolly player and for some reason I am having a decent amount of trouble playing against him (mainly Ness) For example, while playing Ness he will exclusively stay on the edge. wait for you to come in range of PkF, baseball bat you and run to the other edge and rinse and repeat. lol. If you get near him he doesn't initiate whatsoever, he typically will just roll away and again just run to the edge and wait for a PkF attempt. It drives me insane,Which is probably why I lose to his Ness honestly. And he knows that lol.
He isnt a technical player by any means but is very defensive and typically will only punish attack. Like I said previously, only form of initiation is Pk moves lol. It honestly is rather embarrassing that I lose to him so much but I cannot figure out how to play against somebody so amendment against engagement. Also, having trouble with PkF as well. I know you can SDI out of it and hold D + roll etc. Any other tips for avoiding? He is rather intimidated by dash dance so I can pull a few PkF out of him and punish accordingly but still. His play style pisses me off to no end and can get in my head quite often lol.
What are the best strats for going against this type of player? Should I just stay on top of him as much as possible and eliminate his PkF opportunity? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
you have it easy: I have to deal with a campy, shield-grabbing, crouch -cancelling turd

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
You should be able to follow a roll to maintain pressure, I'm a little confused as to what type of scenario you're describing... If he stays on the ground when he does PKF, you can just short hop at him and do pretty much any aerial as a punish (Fair, Dair, Nair, Magnet) if he does a short hop, once again you can smack him with an aerial, here Fair and holding Magnet might work better. Remember with Magnet you can jump out of it, so if he moves somewhere you can jump and use a move accordingly.

If he is insistent on not approaching, Lucas has an excellent projectile of his own in PK Freeze which allows you to sort of force him to play where you want, you just have to DJC it (Which 8adge did an excellent job of explaining in the other thread of your's)

As far as PK Fire goes, if you're worried you can't jump it or wavedash out of the way, you CAN always absorb it, I believe it heals a decent amount.

Basically once you get a clean hit on a campy player your goal is to stay in and keep up the pressure so that they don't have room to breath or set up again. It's important to practice your pressure and reactions.

Top Bottom