• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dealing with retail/hospitality is fail.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
This is more of a vent tbh since today was very annoying. So to start things, there was this lady who ordered an ultimate burger meal today. I served her the meal with all the food virtually fresh on the spot and then continued on serving the other customers. About 5 minutes later, she returned to my counter asking to have a new burger because she claimed it wad cold or something. This happens from time to time so I told her fair enough, ill get another one made got you. Got the burger, gave it to her and that was the end of that.

About 8-10 minutes later, she comes back again complaining about the chips being cold. Well at this point, they would after all the time she probably let them sit there. I was like w/e and grabbed another bag of chips, handed it to her and hoped to god that she wouldn't hassle me any further.

God I was wrong... She had the nerve to return again and this time, it was over the wicked wings being too cold now. And now she wanted a full refund. At this point I felt like telling het off and saying it wad her own bloody fault they went cold. I couldn't do that of course or else well, is get fired lol. So I got the manager to drag with her and she ended up giving her the money back. What passes me off is how people can just abuse these places to get free food. They need to work on the policy or something because its getting way out of hand with these morons you have, *****ing about their food when theres nothing wrong with it..-sigh-

Anyone else suffering the same crap aswell? May aswell hear everyone else's story too =p lol

Sorry if there's some words out of place btw. I typed this on my phone so it sometimes auto corrects words to something else <_<

:phone:

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Lawl, you can probably do it dekar. People learn the system, then abuse the crap out of it like this lady.

And yeah I usually do it too Tak, but this time it really irritated me lol.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
I had someone buy a whole roast chicken during the rush after everyone finishes work, but she spent like 5 minutes trying to convince me it was 1/2 of a chicken (I was laughing inside =)) completely ignoring other customers, after about 7 minutes she went to go replace it and came back with 1/2 a chicken. People are dumb, most of the time I find it humorous rather then let it anger me.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Haha Rob, yeah I agree. I would've loved to dive over the counter and tackle that annoying chick xD.

And I rofled at the 1/2 chicken thing. Ah how stupid people have become. I remember a customer blasting me because I said we only sell our chicken in pieces. (She thought I was a red rooster, and apparently they sell chicken a bit differently) She realized after a bit when she saw my uniform with KFC and she apologized 50 times lol. At least she was sorry anyway.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
I returned a movie to the video store once and one of the staff there said thanks to me about 7 times. It was so weird.

"Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks"

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the tip, will try it out next time i go to kfc
Wow, this was the very first thing I thought... :p

Anyway, I'm very surprised the Manager was so willing to give the refund. Normally in hospitality/retail, refunds are an absolute last resort, and based on the situation nothing appears to support that woman's right to get her money back.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Lol, sometimes I might say thank you too many times. I look like a werido when it happens =P.

Usually the managers cant be ****ed arguing with the customers I think, so they just usually do a refund straight away. It's just a bit annoying when you see people abuse the system so easily. At least it wasn't as bad as the fight that broke out in front of my store today though o.o

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
my job is so much more fun

"HEY MAN I WANT A REFUND FOR MY CAR"

"well you ****ed up, take it to fair trading cuz we aint doin ****"

MTGod

Smash Champion
If it's a $10-20 refund once in a blue moon, it'll mean nothing to a fast food chain - it'd be worse if said customer creates a massive scene causing people to leave.

But yeah, I get people at my job booking in for 10 people and bringing 20, and then getting angry at me because I only guaranteed them 10 places. Makes it worse, because then they go all "YOU RUINED MY CHILD'S PARTY NOW THE REST OF HIS YEAR IS GOING TO BE ****" meanwhile the birthday kid pretty much doesn't give a **** and runs around for an hour aimlessly with his friends anyway. Parents are the worst.

Although I give respect to people who can work fast food. I really couldn't handle it :p

tibs7

Smash Champion
omg pancake parlour customersssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

ughhh :(

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
yeh don't work in fast food. I was a domino's pizza delivery boy when i was like 18 at Brown's plains. For those of you oos who wouldn't know, no-one cooks in browns plains and everyone gets takeaway. We were the 3rd biggest selling store in QLD so it was pretty busy, 2 quick stories...

- I drove an order out to ****ing greenbank which takes 40 - 50 mins for the return trip and when i got back to the store, manager told me the dude rang up and complained saying the diameter of the pizza was 0.6 inches shorter (not lying) than what it promised on the box and he demanded more sizeable pizzas delivered to him.. he started rambling on quoting the domino's guarantees etc... fwuck head. Manager said no so that was sweet.

- We had one of those customer appreciation days ($2.95) a pizza all day and the queue was out in the carpark. So many douches taking advantage of cheap pizzas. Well, one ******* made a scene cos he wanted us to write what each pizza was on each individual box and he ordered 10 pizzas which is a ridiculous demand cos every phone was going off and everyone in line was getting furious because their pizzas are taking forever so this guy was yelling at us accusing us of poor customer service. I never understood why that made him angry... couldn't he just open the box to determine the type of pizza?

**** fast food. Get out asap leisha. **** pay, **** conditions, co-workers were cool though and that made it bearable. I was on $10.50 an hour so yeehhhh, **** that. I now work at greenslopes private hospital and wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than $20 p/hr

Remastered

Smash Lord
I used to manage a cinema in. Prepare yourself, if you have a weak stomach don't read this.

I was spat on, had one of my staff have food thrown at them (not to mention the buckets of popcorn). I was screamed at from about 5cm away from my face because I wouldn't let her child go into the liscenced bar area. I have walked in on people have sex on multiple occasions. I had to clean up vomit on a weekly basis before becoming a manager. I had one 10 year old girl projectile vomit what looked like half her body weight in frozen coke and lollies at the top of the disabled ramp. Which obviously meant it ran down the entire ramp. I then had a disable family try to use the ramp with there electric wheel chair while I was getting cleaning equipment. Smeering it into the carpet at the bottom of the tiles, then abusing me because her son couldn't get into the movie because of the vomit and explained that she wouldn't except seats that weren't to her choosing.

I had a group of 14yr kids get alcohol poisoning on cooking wine, passing out and having to have ambulance and police turn up. I had a guy punch another guy in the face shattering his jaw and breaking his nose because his baby wouldn't stop crying during the movie.

I came accross knives, beads, used toys (not for children), syringes, bodily excretions, (brown, yellow and white), underwear and other such joys whilst cleaning.

The list goes on. This isn't including the mountain of complaints we dealt with everyday, from 'my seat isn't good enough', to 'I think someone near me in the cinema has fleas'. If you don't beleive me, I got Jaice a job there before I left and he can confirm most of this I'm sure. Moral of the story, if it wasn't for the amazing amount of money and how easy the job was outside of this, I would never have worked there.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Working in fast food/hospitality makes you realize how stupid people are. I didn't have it too bad at Sizzler besides the occasion bogans or the crazy lady customer complaining about stupid things.

One thing I always had to deal with alot was vomit, since it's an all you can eat salad bar, people would try to eat as much as they could to the point were they vomited >_>

For example I bumped into this little girl (about 10 years old) as she was walking back to the toilet, then she just stood still in the middle of the salad bar with a blank stare, after about 10 seconds of standing she proceeded to vomit all over the floor followed by a "Oh uh, I think I ate too much". Then she vomited again before he mum ran over and dragged her to the toilet... But I conned the managers to give me a free meal if I cleaned it lololololol

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hahaha yeah man, worked at kfc for 3 years, seen all this ****.
my favorite one was a guy who came and complanied because his can of drink was too cold, we told him we'd put it in the microwave for him if he wanted.

you might be suprised as to what you can do without getting fired leisha, I'm sure your managers are just as sick of those kinds of people as you are.

Everyone usually got me to deal with those kinds of customers because all the things that you wanted to say but didnt, like 'yeah well your chips are cold now because you left them for 10 minutes while complaining to me', I would say stuff like that, just be straight with them and dont let them push you around, your managers will probably congradulate you instead of trying to fire you.

I even told a customer who wouldnt take no for an answer to **** off before lol, they got the message.
dont let it get to that though.

Splice

Smash Hero
i got kfc tonight and it got cold pretty fast man. I mean idk Leisha i think KFC just goes cold really fast. Still good tho. But like i eat one HotnSpicy or whatever its called and then i go to eat the chips and they cold already. So I eat the 2nd HotNSpicy and the other 3 are cold by the time i eat that. Crazy stuff

I never really had any issues over the 1 year and 2 months I worked at Grill'd. I got a $20 tip once when I went to collect some plates. Yeah. Some people, hey?

I mean seriously the worst I've ever had was probably when someone ordered the "Mini Me" pack (kids meal) and we only had apple juice boxes left and no orange juice boxes and the mother wanted orange juice. She wouldnt take no for an answer and tried to say she shouldn't have to pay for this. The Team Leader who was working that shift is my favourite team leader though and he came over to the counter where I was after about 15 seconds and said "you don't have to pay for this if you dont want to, but then i wont give it to you and you can leave". She ended up paying for it.

Yep I've never really had any of these issues, i just hate it when people order Gluten Free buns. It's 5 times as much work as normal bun, it takes so long we're supposed to tell customers when they order it (and they stiill complain it takes ages, because seriously it takes half an hour and we have to defrost them and thaw them and then toast them twice) and they taste horrid anyway, I don't understand. Anyway thats not the same but w/e

loltimic

Ad3pt, does Jaice still work there? At the cinema? Sounds like a monkey house

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
i only have one story as a delivery driver.
short story short. Guy thought the salad was to small so he didn't wanna pay. guy accused me of eating the salad. i said "i dont eat salad". I thought it was GG but boss was all like no u pay for the meal. So i did and I ate it, since I didn't have dinner yet.

... i didn't eat the salad either.

Rad

Smash Ace
Perhaps because if they don't get the Gluten Free bun they'll begin ****ting uncontrollably.

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
My worst IT Support job was travelling into the city into a big company to... reset a modem that was high up... I had to stand on a chair. Apparently no one else could do it. It doesn't sound bad but it was when I first realised that IT Support was crap because it was 6:30pm and unpaid overtime.

Good thing I'm now retired.

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
Ad3pt, does Jaice still work there? At the cinema? Sounds like a monkey house
Yeah I still work there. Quite a slack place to work and good pay as AD3PT said. I actually enjoy dealing with customers, most of the time. Eloquence is very beneficial with the occasional thesaurus discovered word to throw the customer off track.

I had a couple the other day threaten to call the police on me and the other staff as they claimed that we stole their medication that they left in the cinema. I overheard a man say that he received three free passes in a row just by complaining each time about made-up disturbances. I have found cups full of urine and babies nappies under cinema seats. I have also had to put up with most of what AD3PT described above.

But on the other hand, there have been many funny events aswell. I have witnessed a woman praying and gesturing at a cats and dogs display. A woman warned me about a piece of popcorn on the floor, saying someone could slip on it. I watched an old man trip and run at a 45 degree angle for about twenty metres before falling over. I also had to help an obese man out of his seat.

Leisha, try to ignore the frustrating people and focus on the humorous events at work. If frustration > the amount of humour, then find somewhere else to work or working will become draining on you. I enjoy working at the cinema so I advise try applying at a cinema, preferably not located in a region populated by bogans to avoid events like the ones my brother and I have described.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
You want bogans? Try living in a place mostly inhabited by them (Bendigo).

If I ever make it through a day without getting one customer that doesn't make me want to throw them into our cardboard compactor... I'll be shocked. Luckily, I work in books though, and bogans don't tend to trouble that department in a Big W store.

But when they do...

MTGod

Smash Champion
I live in WA. We don't just have bogans; we have the cashed up bogans. The worst type of bogan are the ones that don't think themselves a bogan T_T

Top Bottom