• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Sheik

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I have given myself plenty of matches and time to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but the only ideas I can come up with are:
A. Don't get grabbed.
B. Mix up my techs to make tech-chasing me a little more difficult for the Sheik. If this doesn't work, tech towards the ledge for a last-ditch effort to go off the side to avoid yet another tech chase.
C. Maintain control of center-stage and stay away from the ledge. (Obviously in opposition to one of the options in "B")
Other than the above options, I have no idea how to beat a Sheik. As far as how I play, all the Sheik needs to do is get one grab, do a down-throw, tech chase me, grab me, do a down-throw, so-on and so-forth. It just seems like my tech-rolls are not fast enough to warrant an actual read from the Sheik. If I do tech towards the ledge, the Sheik gets a chance to knock me off -stage and set up one of her nasty fairs. Usually when I encounter an unfavorable match up for me, I generally tend to work as hard as possible and come to a conclusion as to why I am losing said match up. However, with Sheik, I just have no idea what to do besides "A", "B", and "C", which are obviously not always possible due to situational factors. (I.E. shield grabs) What do my fellow Roy's think? Is there something I could do to avoid some of these situations where I get tech-chased to near-death? Is there any DI mix-ups I can do to avoid jab to grab? Is there any extra, small advantages I can use to make this match up easier? Thanks for your time, guys. I hope I can get help in figuring this one out.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I think you have the right theorycrafting to beat sheik. Avoiding getting grabbed and mixing up your techs are the way to go as well as controlling the stage as well as not letting her regain momentum when she loses it. All of these however can be said of any matchup for anybody in this game so its hard.

The way i really try to go about it is to outplay her in her own game and play more defensive/patient. Roy also needs grabs and tech chasing so you need to capitalize even harder than she does, which isnt the easiest. Also know sheik's worst position to be in is above her opponent. The best stages to play on are platform stages like battlefield and PS2 in my opinion since you have a place to go when she tries to needle camp you and you have a place to spam those Uair SHFFLs. So Fthrow chains at low percents into Ftilt to get her on her toes off stage and Uthrows when shes under a platform to pressure her weak spot.

Unfortunately that's all punish-theory and less how you get there. Getting the grab and finding an opening can be really hard and i personally have always hated sheik MUs for all my characters. Dtilt is useful after she can't crouch cancel it as well, im pretty sure that if you space the tip of roys blade that it's harder to crouch cancel. I'd say retreating Fairs when she approaches, Dtilts when you approach and avoid needless aerials when doing forward agression. Also Ftilt works pretty well for spacing her out on her approachs, but you have to be quick with it to make it effective.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Idea for getting out of tech-chases: Tech in place -> keep holding your shield button -> hold c-stick down.
This will make you spot dodge on the first frame possible when getting up. Note: This will not work on the wifi build as the wifi build does not have c-stick buffering.

(((Warning: Personal Opinion Approaching))) Facts stated here might not be trustworthy
I'd also recommend going to FoD. I know, it's supposed to be one of Sheik's best stages, but it's also one of Roy's. The reason I tell you to go here is (1. The close horizontal blast zones are good for killing, (2 There isn't as much room for Sheik to needle camp, and (3. The random rising/lowering platforms can sometimes mess up grabs. I can remember countless times where someone has grabbed me with the intent of doing something nasty and a nifty platform started rising right under me and saved me from the grab.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
I see what you guys mean. Thanks for all the help! With this information, I may just be able to actually fight Sheik. Guess it's time to hit the lab and practice these concepts.

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
I have a very specific question regarding this matchup. How do you beat sheik's dash attack --> dSmash combo? I try shield grabbing and it doesn't work because I always get hit by the second kick of the down smash once I drop my shield.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Shield it fully, man. The whole dash attack and downsmash. My friend no longer goes for that, because you can shield the full thing and punish it heavily.

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is gonna punish you hard if she manages to get in, but I think Roy has the tools to deal with Sheik.

One of the most important things is to take advantage of Sheik's lack of approach. My general idea for this matchup is that Sheik is lame and in order to win you have to be even more lame than Sheik. First of all, try to not go to a map that you'll just end up getting needle camped on. Then you want to keep her out of your space with your disjoints. Ranged pokes with f-tilt really do a lot in this match up even if you won't necessarily be comboing off of them (this really works better on maps like ps2 rather than something like FoD. Also if you do this often, you will get punished for it, f-tilt is only so safe).

This is true for all Roy matchups, but really try to abuse d-tilt in the neutral. I tend to avoid shffling my way through the match against Sheik because of the risk of getting grabbed (which can mean death in this matchup). I find myself dashdancing and wavedashing into d-tilts a lot in the neutral.

Sheik's grab game is strong, but Roy can do quite a bit off of a grab in this matchup too. I believe d throw should force a techchase scenario at lower/mid percents. Really take every opportunity you get and make Sheik pay for it. If you can make a read and get an fsmash or combo into a bair or something to get Sheik offstage, you'll have a good chance to capitalize on Sheik's poor recovery (take the ledge and force her to land on stage. Punish hard during her up-b's end-lag).

This is the mindset that I've had the most success with when facing Sheik, if anyone has anything to add or thinks I should change something I'd love to hear it. At this point, I haven't been forced to play any Sheik's who have punished me for playing lame.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is gonna punish you hard if she manages to get in, but I think Roy has the tools to deal with Sheik.

One of the most important things is to take advantage of Sheik's lack of approach. My general idea for this matchup is that Sheik is lame and in order to win you have to be even more lame than Sheik. First of all, try to not go to a map that you'll just end up getting needle camped on. Then you want to keep her out of your space with your disjoints. Ranged pokes with f-tilt really do a lot in this match up even if you won't necessarily be comboing off of them (this really works better on maps like ps2 rather than something like FoD. Also if you do this often, you will get punished for it, f-tilt is only so safe).

This is true for all Roy matchups, but really try to abuse d-tilt in the neutral. I tend to avoid shffling my way through the match against Sheik because of the risk of getting grabbed (which can mean death in this matchup). I find myself dashdancing and wavedashing into d-tilts a lot in the neutral.

Sheik's grab game is strong, but Roy can do quite a bit off of a grab in this matchup too. I believe d throw should force a techchase scenario at lower/mid percents. Really take every opportunity you get and make Sheik pay for it. If you can make a read and get an fsmash or combo into a bair or something to get Sheik offstage, you'll have a good chance to capitalize on Sheik's poor recovery (take the ledge and force her to land on stage. Punish hard during her up-b's end-lag).

This is the mindset that I've had the most success with when facing Sheik, if anyone has anything to add or thinks I should change something I'd love to hear it. At this point, I haven't been forced to play any Sheik's who have punished me for playing lame.
Thanks for the info, man, but this is a dead thread I made back in October, I think. xD I'll keep the idea of playing lame in mind, though. Seems like it may work out well as long as my spacing is on point.

Top Bottom