• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear MLG: bring smash back to MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allied

Smash Master
mahahahaha

you honestly can't tell whos the best anymore

they all keep switching tournaments to win every weekend like they take turns its kinda cute :D

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Ugh, i'm pretty sure any thread with Brawl&Melee discussion together that isn't about an upcoming tournament is FAIL.

Any post deciding which should be picked over the other is obviously biased based on what you like/play more..

Like right now, I'd love to tell off all the brawlers about how Melee has SO much more hype(which it obviously does, no matter what a brawl player says) which leads into more streamed views and interests, which leads into sponsorships and ****.

Like I really, honestly can NOT tell where Brawl out-does melee. I'm aware these threads are constantly cycled through about one flaming the other about which is better, but I want a knowledged user of BOTH GAMES to give me an idea.

I just can't see much enjoyment in watching a very skilled brawl match. Come-backs seem very slim, the game is quite slow and floaty, which makes for less mindgames..I watched a Semi or finals where ally played against a MK who spammed nado NONSTOP, wracked up sooo much damage, and just ***** ally.

It was almost like the MK was trying to tell the world "hey, i abuse my character with silly nonsense nonstop! why isn't anyone banning my character? LOLOLOL!"

Then you have matches like DSW vs M2K, Armada vs M2K, and other legendary match-ups where anything could happen. Melee is insanely deep, so one slip could lose you a match, which is probably why there's so much hype, a match could go from one having a huge lead, to losing that lead in seconds. Brawlers may see that as dumb, I see it as an unbelievably deep game(By mistake :p). Why? Because you need to be THAT good to not slip up. Where as in brawl, you have PLENTY of opportunities to slip up, mistakes don't lead to huge punishment in this game, at all.

Brawl having a bigger scene is because of the simplicity of brawl, and how someone with a much lower skill level than others can still keep up (Hence the younger audience)

I mean cmon guys, the games been going on for like 9 years for a reason.

But, I play melee, so yeah. I'm biased. :embarrass:

/rant. sry.
ur wrong, Brawl is only about mindgames and playing smart.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
Brawl having a bigger scene is because of the simplicity of brawl, and how someone with a much lower skill level than others can still keep up (Hence the younger audience)
I really think its because its a new game. Melee is what 7-8 years old? An older game attracts fewer new players. A new game like Brawl, backed up by the already existing big community of Melee, results in an even bigger community.
The Melee audience is older because it consists of many players that are playing for a long time, and have picked up the game when they were young -- like the Brawl players do now.
I think its wonderful though that new players pick up Brawl, the new Smash game, and then find out about Melee and move because it seems like a better Smash experience in their eyes.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
What am i wrong about? I'm aware of the mindgames and playing smart, but IMO, it has much less mindgames because of the speed, they must be much different than melee cause i personally don't get brawl mind-games. but i don't play brawl at a high enough level to know that, i dont really play at all. but I've seen pro matches. and it really just seems like priority this and that. like what happened to you ally in that match against the MK with the nados nonstop? you played as the 2nd or 3rd best character and he just dominated you. I guarantee your much better than him, yet you still lost..

sswizzbbeatss

Smash Apprentice
WoW acctually has the least support compared to the other games like
cod
halo
gears

15 000 for winner in WoW in orlando
40 000 for winner in gears???

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
Of course there are more entrants to FPS tournaments. They are more popular, more addicting, and everyone who plays thinks they are the sh**. If I somehow got $1,000,000 (tax free), then I would easily give $500,000 to smash tournaments.

tubes

Smash Ace
Except everyone and their Grandmother thinks they're the **** at Smash Bros as well. Either way, I wouldn't waste my time begging MLG to save melee as at the moment it's a bit of a lost cause. What about VG Boot Camp? They seem to want to help us out so why don't we support them for now and build from there.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
VGBC is ran by brawl players, of course they're helping us out. One of the VGBC guys(god is my rock) lives where I'm from. Like, the exact same city.

DJRome

Smash Hero
smash shoots ourselves in the foot. we host weekly tournaments across the country. and bc most smashers can't support going to tourneys that often, it ends up being that they can't save up to go to big events bc of the small events that are cheaper.

if people saved up for big events were mlg to host, attendance would be good at mlgs. but the cycle has already started and so this will probably never happen

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
MLG buys smashboards and doesn't plan on doing anything with smash? I say that's a good use of their money...

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah smash has been keeping itself alive all this time, if it had sponsors it would be sick.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Yeah smash has been keeping itself alive all this time, if it had sponsors it would be sick.
this REALLY speaks to the strength of the smash community. its huge, hosts its own HUGE tournaments, and has been going strong for like 9 years.

All without sponsorship, save a few years of mlg.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Let's be honest, Brawl is boring as hell and gets not 1/100 the hype of Melee.

It's a pretty good game, but it is boring to watch and not exciting unless Diddy is playing.

Velox

Smash Ace
Sakura is probably paying off MLG so that they don't pick up Brawl. After systematically stripping out all the competitive things from melee, he wants to see this one through to the end.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Sakura is probably paying off MLG so that they don't pick up Brawl. After systematically stripping out all the competitive things from melee, he wants to see this one through to the end.
yeah sakurai pretty much slapped us in the face

its for that sole reason that i wont play brawl. I will not encourage malicious intent

Guide

Smash Rookie
Super Street Fighter IV + MLG = Sexy.

Nooo, Daigo scares me...

nado's much too fast for your nades bra!
I hate the conception that tornado-spam is an invincible tactic...

It's no different than how in melee Jiggs' pound-rests kill you when you make a mistake. Only that tornadoes aren't instant death.

Only at the top level of play. For those drudging about in mid-level range (especially those used to melee's fast paced version of mindgames), it's difficult to see it as that.

Although I prefer melee, I disagree with anyone who says brawl can't be enjoyable to watch. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgNaxRqKRU

Melee is pretty fun to watch.
Brawl has it's moments but it has some interesting stuff.
Street Fighter 4 needz to be in!

idk about Blazblue and Tekken. 3rd Strike in MLG would be cool.

I don't like the Brawl vs Melee argument at all.

I doubt MLG will add in SSB64 :/
This.

DJRome

Smash Hero
1. pound is not really spammable. like at all. tornado. . .
2. of course it's about playing smart and mindgames. I don't see how brawl can be see as anything but at any level.
3. lol, that video was incredibly boring.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
It's no different than how in melee Jiggs' pound-rests kill you when you make a mistake. Only that tornadoes aren't instant death.
lol, those arent very comparable :( ones an instant death, and one is verrrrrrrrrrrrry more risky, one can be punsihed MUCH harder,one cant move after doing one of them ya knowww?

edit wait what, pound-rest?

i thought you were saying doing a rest is no different than tornado..

Guide

Smash Rookie
LOL pound-rest never hits.
I was using a generic example.

That vid was boring.

Really? I thought it was better than some of the other "good" videos that show nothing but chaingrabs and ledgeguards. Oh, well. To each their own.

1. pound is not really spammable. like at all. tornado. . .
Same principles. If you mess up, you get nailed. Although pounds and rests are a relatively bad example.

2. of course it's about playing smart and mindgames. I don't see how brawl can be see as anything but at any level.
Button-mashing for the win!

3. lol, that video was incredibly boring.
See above.

lol, those arent very comparable :( ones an instant death, and one is verrrrrrrrrrrrry more risky, one can be punsihed MUCH harder,one cant move after doing one of them ya knowww?
True, a bad example.

edit wait what, pound-rest?

i thought you were saying doing a rest is no different than tornado..
Just using a generic combination as an example. Insert shine wave-dashing across the stage with fox if you'd rather.

Anyway, this isn't a "MK is cheap, MK is not cheap, MK is broken" thread...

Sadly, MLG won't pick Smash up unless\until there is a large surge of activity.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure smash isn't coming back to MLG. They'll probably just stick to online ladders n ****. Melee was great back in the day when it had sponsors, but yeah not happening. Even though we had the largest tourney ever recently, I still doubt they're taking smash back in their circuit. Their only fighters would probably be SSFIV and Tekken VI (which is a small chance, that and the rage from 2D fighter people about smash not being competitive)

Really? I thought it was better than some of the other "good" videos that show nothing but chaingrabs and ledgeguards. Oh, well. To each their own.
No, that was pretty boring... And actually, ledgeguarding is hype. It's cool to watch, especially with how creative some people can be.

Same principles. If you mess up, you get nailed. Although pounds and rests are a relatively bad example.
Of course, that holds true to most fighting games, but however, melee is a game that rewards you on reading your opponent than brawl. For brawl it's a bunch of rinse and repeating and having to guess what they're doing for each hit of yours, that or just space and spam easily. Brawl does require a ton of mindgames and the such, it's true, but that's all it has. Nothing for execution, not a whole lot of room for creativity since some things flat out beat just about everything (see tornado and snake pulling out grenades right after getting hit with a single attack) also the controller port crap is pretty dumb.

Sadly, MLG won't pick Smash up unless\until there is a large surge of activity.
Huh, it's like pound 4 never happened! Someone is sure living under a rock.

DJRome

Smash Hero
okay, so im going to assume, guide, that you're pretty much a beginner at this game. because clearly all of your ideas are really inaccurate.

if your idea of mid-level is button mashing then you don't understand the depth of either of these games.

once brawl's metagame becomes comparable to melee, I would imagine that both games will encounter the same level of mental agility, knowledge, and spacing required.

the thing is that brawl is less punishing for mistakes than melee and melee has combos that help that out. they are different types of games. you don't compare badminton, table tennis and tennis. it's whatever you like. sure, some basics are similar but it's not the same game at all.

melee is simply more technical and is more fun to watch (for a handful of reasons). but like i've said before, we've got a solution to the fact that no more mlgs exist and that solution pretty much ensures that future mlgs exclude smash

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I watched a Semi or finals where ally played against a MK who spammed nado NONSTOP, wracked up sooo much damage, and just ***** ally.
Jiggs BAir is more spammable than nado.

Just saying

I enjoy watching Melee much more than Brawl, but I play Brawl.

You know if 75% of the Melee players weren't elitist jerkoffs constantly *****ing about how Brawl sucks, I'd be much more inclined to actually play your game (and I know some other people who feel the same way).

WE GET IT, you don't like Brawl. Do you need to put down the game and the way it's played ALL THE TIME? It's completely unproductive.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
My entire post earlier was supposed to be opposing the people who thought brawl > melee in MLG, and explained how melee showed more hype

..and sure, possibly questioned how it was better in any way whatseover(And still questioning) :p sorry, couldn't help it :x

Also, yes bAIR is more spammable, because it's an instant move, nado is a constant like 3+ seconds of priority? that's not to say it makes the bair any better. it's a much different concept IMO. (Melee punishing is much different)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Brawl burns my eyes and gave my headaches even when I trye dreally hard to enjoy it. It sucks getting uber bad headaches form playing a game so even IF I liked it I still wouldn't play.

Um how does brawl punish if it doesn't combo. is it just chain throwing or camping maybe in rare cases sheild break. or just one move at a time? Also the game punishs you for playing by tripping and movement is really reallly important(at least in melee).

I hate how if you say down-B, abir or up-throw combo without saying a name we all know it's puff.

BreakBones

Smash Cadet
Jiggs BAir is more spammable than nado.

Just saying

I enjoy watching Melee much more than Brawl, but I play Brawl.

You know if 75% of the Melee players weren't elitist jerkoffs constantly *****ing about how Brawl sucks, I'd be much more inclined to actually play your game (and I know some other people who feel the same way).

WE GET IT, you don't like Brawl. Do you need to put down the game and the way it's played ALL THE TIME? It's completely unproductive.
Well u have to understand that we're not angry at brawl players we're angry at the concept of brawl, because we've been playing this game and the creaters decide to make the exact OPPOSITE of what we enjoy playing, it was just such a huge dissapointment, honestly it's like they were trying to piss us off.

If they made Brawl into, lets say, Melee2.0 it would definitally be in MLG. Think about it, Brawl made a record for NINTENDO for most copies of a game sold, thats amazing. Now imagine how many people would be playing this game competitively!!! If it was more competitive it would have probably made much more people stop playing melee and bring those players into Brawl as well, this game had too much potential for me to enjoy it.

It's nintendo's fault that neither Melee nor Brawl are in MLG, they separeted the Smash Community with a completely different game.

Fletch

Smash Master
Well u have to understand that we're not angry at brawl players we're angry at the concept of brawl, because we've been playing this game and the creaters decide to make the exact OPPOSITE of what we enjoy playing, it was just such a huge dissapointment, honestly it's like they were trying to piss us off.

If they made Brawl into, lets say, Melee2.0 it would definitally be in MLG. Think about it, Brawl made a record for NINTENDO for most copies of a game sold, thats amazing. Now imagine how many people would be playing this game competitively!!! If it was more competitive it would have probably made much more people stop playing melee and bring those players into Brawl as well, this game had too much potential for me to enjoy it.

It's nintendo's fault that neither Melee nor Brawl are in MLG, they separeted the Smash Community with a completely different game.
Win. No one would really care about Brawl or bash it if it didn't divide the community so much. We were all the ones that were extremely excited for its release, and we ended up disappointed with what we got, hence the frustration. I wanted more than anything for Brawl to be a great competitive game, but instead we got something that is mediocre with things like tripping, and yet people still want to play it because its new, not necessarily better.

fragbait

Smash Master
Ugh, i'm pretty sure any thread with Brawl&Melee discussion together that isn't about an upcoming tournament is FAIL.

Any post deciding which should be picked over the other is obviously biased based on what you like/play more..

Like right now, I'd love to tell off all the brawlers about how Melee has SO much more hype(which it obviously does, no matter what a brawl player says) which leads into more streamed views and interests, which leads into sponsorships and ****.

Like I really, honestly can NOT tell where Brawl out-does melee. I'm aware these threads are constantly cycled through about one flaming the other about which is better, but I want a knowledged user of BOTH GAMES to give me an idea.

I just can't see much enjoyment in watching a very skilled brawl match. Come-backs seem very slim, the game is quite slow and floaty, which makes for less mindgames..I watched a Semi or finals where ally played against a MK who spammed nado NONSTOP, wracked up sooo much damage, and just ***** ally.

It was almost like the MK was trying to tell the world "hey, i abuse my character with silly nonsense nonstop! why isn't anyone banning my character? LOLOLOL!"

Then you have matches like DSW vs M2K, Armada vs M2K, and other legendary match-ups where anything could happen. Melee is insanely deep, so one slip could lose you a match, which is probably why there's so much hype, a match could go from one having a huge lead, to losing that lead in seconds. Brawlers may see that as dumb, I see it as an unbelievably deep game(By mistake :p). Why? Because you need to be THAT good to not slip up. Where as in brawl, you have PLENTY of opportunities to slip up, mistakes don't lead to huge punishment in this game, at all.

I mean cmon guys, the games been going on for like 9 years for a reason.

But, I play melee, so yeah. I'm biased. :embarrass:

/rant. sry.
tl;dr

Brawl does have some sponsorships....especially Midwest....at least, that's the plan.

hehehe, I'm sponsored

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion

this is exactly my stance. i didnt know anyone else concurred

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
KDJ Still posts on the smashboards? Wut?

Also as a melee only player and some1 who despises brawl heres why melee doesnt work for MLG.

MLG games are boring as **** to watch. Brawl fits right in perfectly.

Gears 2? BORING (Gears 1 is soooo much better)

Halo 3? If i had to watch Halo 3 vids instead of Melee vids for the rest of my life, I'd just kill myself.

WoW? IDK, but i can promise you its not even half as entertaing as melee

SF? I can honestly say I've never been excited by anything thats ever happened in a SF Game.

Didn't a few Halo players watch the grand finals of Melee at TourneyPlay 3 and a few of those players watched at the MLG events? I think it was one of Team Carbon's players (I can't remember the name) that commentated on a ChuDat vs Azen match. Melee is one of the best games to watch out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom