• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defense of the Ancients [DotA], A Warcraft III UMS

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I've been playing it quite obsessively with a couple other socal smashers. I play on Lordaeron under the name JTBeezy.

I'm not terribly good at the game, I'm still learning the function of all of the heroes through pub arem games. But I can still do my part in games.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ahhh, man. I used to play DotA all the time. My War3 is kinda broke now though. Plus I got tired of keeping up with all the updates.

But it's a pretty sweet game.

EDIT:

Yea, Hydro. I use the same screen name for just about everything I do, so sometimes I get people that recognize me from other places. It's kinda creepy, but I guess the gaming world isn't that big!

YoukoisaHOMO

Smash Rookie
What is this game you are talking about? I never ever heard of it, good luck finding people who actually played it, lol.

UncleGene

Smash Rookie
Fun stuff.

6.48b is the new league and tournament standard, isn't it? I like the idea of late game heroes again, something that died off after Divine Rapier + Aegis, so seeing Faceless Void and Spectre getting more and more play is cool. But it's pretty obvious the more important aspect of the metagame are smaller fights/ganks now, looking at Nerubian Assassin and Beastmaster being removed from almost every -xl game. Also the return of Twin Headed Dragon and Magnus is refreshing, they had a tough time in .43b, having been so underestimated in the laning process.

Just some thoughts on the current game.

I'll be happy to play once I get a stable connection again.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I started playing DOtA 4 years ago and just recently stopped for my last year of school so I wouldn't fail out...lol. But I might pick it back up soon. It's a frustrating game a lot of the time, mostly because you can't rely on your team mates a lot of the time.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
It's more fun playing with friends than just random people.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Oh man DOTA I've been playing it since it was created by Eul. That was just under 5 years ago... I still play today.

Infact I just played like 5 minutes before making this post and owned the game with a dominating score of 7 - 1 with the Warlock. This game is too fun especially now with the newest version that made more caster items. I love the Shiva's guard it creates some interesting spell combos and it has great stats for a caster (I think this think is imbalanced but I still love it).

I play pubs now because I was banned from TDA channel on US EAST. I got banned because of my internet connection it went down during a game and that counts as leaving. That's garbage! So I play on my old ladder acct on USWEST Z-Link. You might have seen me S talk in game or just really layed down what ownage is during a game. I've played warcraft too much too much micro!

Miharu

Smash Hero
Umm. 7-1 isn't close to dominating in a pub. I regularly go 10-1 in pubs, and that's a pretty average pub game for me.

Fun stuff.

6.48b is the new league and tournament standard, isn't it? I like the idea of late game heroes again, something that died off after Divine Rapier + Aegis, so seeing Faceless Void and Spectre getting more and more play is cool. But it's pretty obvious the more important aspect of the metagame are smaller fights/ganks now, looking at Nerubian Assassin and Beastmaster being removed from almost every -xl game. Also the return of Twin Headed Dragon and Magnus is refreshing, they had a tough time in .43b, having been so underestimated in the laning process.

Just some thoughts on the current game.

I'll be happy to play once I get a stable connection again.
Seems like SF has fallen out of favor as a carry, due ot his squishyness early game. Seems like the game has shifted to more semi carries such as QoP, PotM, Viper, who have ridiculous lane control starting from level 1, and are also able to go gank as early as 5 or 6.

Too bad Merc is still banned in most pick leagues. And Puck is still banned in 6.49, what do you think about that? Necrobook on puck can be pretty decent when used with his ult, and so on.

BM's imba maphack is too good lol.

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
hydro kirby whats your SN on war3? and what channel do you play in?? ill add you as soon as you reply to this and we can IH with my friends and your friends... im tired of pubs and 3v3 IH's as well :p

Miharu

Smash Hero
My IGN is Ragnarok., with the period.

You can usually find me in toga in Lordaeron. Just PM me and we'll get something going.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Aww man, I used to be addicted to this =( Heh, still would be if my comp hadn't screwed over. However, thats probably a good thing, because i started SSBM because of it ^^.

Anyways, once i get a new comp, ill post my ign and stuff

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
RoyalRook here buddy, you may have seen my replays (insert arrogance here). I am pretty nuts. Dota allstars forum account: DIAAIMLI; I play under RoyalRook.ClanName Check out my Mana Drain Remake threads and drop me an invite for IH. I haven't played any of the new versions though (after the Aegis removal), I am kinda old school, should still got it though, lol.

And oh, I hate noobs in Dota pubs, OMG I hate them, omg, I hate dota noobs, you have no idea.

Tell me when do you usually play, and your dota handle.

Miharu

Smash Hero
RoyalRook here buddy, you may have seen my replays (insert arrogance here). I am pretty nuts. Dota allstars forum account: DIAAIMLI; I play under RoyalRook.ClanName Check out my Mana Drain Remake threads and drop me an invite for IH. I haven't played any of the new versions though (after the Aegis removal), I am kinda old school, should still got it though, lol.

And oh, I hate noobs in Dota pubs, OMG I hate them, omg, I hate dota noobs, you have no idea.

Tell me when do you usually play, and your dota handle.
Ragnarok. is my handle.

Zz you should see the pro clinkz going bashers these days. Makes you want to cry.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
I used to play LAN DOTA, all the time, with some amazing players.

I don't have WCIII:TFT just now though sadly. If I pick it up, I will let you guys know.

I haven't played the latest map, with the new items, but I shall do some time.

Manta-Style Tinker FTW. Not so much in a match, but if the other team is a bit of a shambles, they are entirely screwed.

It's seriously all about the teamwork, synergy and combos though. Sure dominating pub by yourself is fun, but dominating a team, as a team, is just plain awesome.

Dave

Miharu

Smash Hero
I used to play LAN DOTA, all the time, with some amazing players.

I don't have WCIII:TFT just now though sadly. If I pick it up, I will let you guys know.

I haven't played the latest map, with the new items, but I shall do some time.

Manta-Style Tinker FTW. Not so much in a match, but if the other team is a bit of a shambles, they are entirely screwed.

It's seriously all about the teamwork, synergy and combos though. Sure dominating pub by yourself is fun, but dominating a team, as a team, is just plain awesome.

Dave
Carrying with Radi/Heart/Manta Spectre in an IH feels good lol.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
The only hero I can be remotely good with is Clinkz. Anyone else, I get ***** :(

Miharu

Smash Hero
You don't know what you're talking about.

7-1 is good for a warlock the game was only like 20 minutes long thanks to the refresher orb.
What are you playing, apem pubs? Can't farm a refresher in 20 minutes unless you get pooled, or the other team is intentionally feeding; in a non-em game, that is.

I can go ****ing bfly dps lock in a stupid apem pub and go 20-1. 7-1 is extremely good for lock in any league setting, but he usually won't get to that point because someone on the opposing team will get diffusal, and proceed to ragegank his ***. Not too fun. Go play an actual match, get 7-1 with Warlock, then combe back.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
For someone that wants to get good at dota, what should I do? Keep playing pub games, or is there something else I can do?

Weed

Smash Lord
I used to religiously play Dota every day, and (imo) was pretty decent. Quit now, since none of my friends play anymore.

Miharu

Smash Hero
For someone that wants to get good at dota, what should I do? Keep playing pub games, or is there something else I can do?
Try to find some people that you can reliably IH or scrim with on a regular basis; organized play is a lot better for improvement than just random pub play.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
What are you playing, apem pubs? Can't farm a refresher in 20 minutes unless you get pooled, or the other team is intentionally feeding; in a non-em game, that is.

I can go ****ing bfly dps lock in a stupid apem pub and go 20-1. 7-1 is extremely good for lock in any league setting, but he usually won't get to that point because someone on the opposing team will get diffusal, and proceed to ragegank his ***. Not too fun. Go play an actual match, get 7-1 with Warlock, then combe back.
You still don't know what you're talking about. :/

It's not like everyone in public games suck anyways. Just because it's public doesn't mean it's not good. The game was AREM. Nobody cares if you can get 20-1 with him and draw out a public game like that. In a public game you can get any score with any hero. I've gotten 30 - 2 ish with KOTL and with about 400 creep kills too in over 50 minutes big deal nobody cares.

Besides I'm retired from any actual matches I just play because I am bored now so nobody cares.

END.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I hear massive johns. 400/xx cs with KotL is nothing special; illuminate lets you a ****load of free creep kills.

AREM (and any game with -em in it for that matter), tends to be of lesser "quality," if you will, than non-ems. Of course, non-em games have their share of nubs and trashtalkers, but -em is "easy mode" for a reason. There's not as much of a focus on the more subtle aspects of DotA, and you normally don't even see any semblance of last-hitting/denying or lane control in -em pubs.

I've gotten 30 - 2 ish with KOTL and with about 400 creep kills too in over 50 minutes big deal nobody cares.
That's the point. Apply that to your 7-1 game with lock, and nobody cares about that either. Now if you go 7-1 with Warlock in a more organized setting, then that's actually something, since Warlock usually doesn't get too many kills in that kind of situation. Preferable for the carry/dps to net the kills. You can't really argue that playing in an organized setting (league/IH/scrim) is on par with playing in a pub with 9 other random people.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Your name looks really familiar. Did you play Ogre tonight?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I've been playing Dota quite a bit lately though a good chunk of my time is still going towards Gunbound Revolution which means I need to have my head checked....

Anyway...

The new drow is just absurd. Pudge still moves a tad too slow for my liking, but hes still my favorite character. Hes always good for a few laughs since I get accused of "h4xing" when I land a blind hook. Backdoors are hilarious as always. The game has gotten a lot better overall. I don't see too many Invoker users now...must be because hes not a noob friendly hero and most noobs develop a love for a hero they can immediately understand and show noticeable progress as within weeks time. With Invoker, you must understand all aspects of the game, every hero, their moves, and figure out a way to best use his abilities to exploit weaknesses. Like the Silencer, if handled properly, Invoker can take out anyone on the map. No match up nightmares.

S2

Smash Lord
Geez, between Dota and regular War3 I lost oh so much of my free time.

The really bad thing is how Blizzard recently (well a few months ago) patched it so that you don't need the CD to play without a crack. Bad because I used to be able to take the disc out and put it somewhere else when I needed to get work done, now I'm at Dota's mercy everytime I use the PC.

Dota is such a love and hate game though. It's fun when you're doing well, but it sucks suffering with the consequences of having a bad early game. You know, when someone else on their team is fed and you're basically at their mercy if they catch you alone. Sometimes it's hard to accept that you need to stick with a buddy because you're underpowered.

At least it's not as bad as pub games, where no one can accept being in a support position. Everyone has to be the big hero of the game, they can't work together if they aren't being glory hogs.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm having a LAN this Friday, and we'll be playing mostly DotA. We don't have a full group of 5 though. Anyone want to team or in-house against us?

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
this thread really needs an epic bump.

Anybody here play dota as much as i do?

The other day i was playing as syllabear, lol at my bear. Was doing about 400 dmg per attack. It was 2 v 4 my team was going down hardcore. So i did a bdoor. With the Dmg amplifly from the bear on buildings and killed the throne in about 8 hits. i lol'd. i took top and bot rax the fastest ever!!!

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
woah! dota thread, sweet, i play dota almost all the time now, since i gave away my game cube i cant play melee so i play dota. how bout a fav hero list?
* my favs are sylla, ursa, bloodseeker, and sniper. out of those i only play snipes and sylla. i love bears.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
hmm my favourite hero...

-random (or treant)

Nothing funner then having eyes in al the jukes. usually have them everywhere. its such a help to the team.

syllabear can be great if played well. Radince on the bear early then grab deso. ive'e played a 3 hour game as bear. zomg at my bear!!!. i killed the throne via a bd. it went down i like 8 hits.

Top Bottom