• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defensive Play or Camping?

Alex13

Smash Journeyman
O.K. my cousin, Ian, is always complaining about me "camping" and it's the only reason I always beat him. Is wavedashing back to dodge an attack, then hurting them / dodging an attack, then hurting them considered camping? I don't think it is, I call it defensive play, which he calls bull s***.

six

Smash Ace
Apparently begolfer did not bother to read the post at all

You're not camping if you're moving, that doesn't really make any sense. Camping usually means you stay in one place (usually far from them) and attack from there (thus "camping", or "setting up camp" somewhere). And anyway, even if you were camping, so? Any decent player can beat a camper.

Charoo

Smash Champion
camping is pretty much when u're like falco and jsut spam shl on the otehr side of the edge

or you're samus and jsut shoot missle the whole match, and then run away when they come in

Ionio

Smash Rookie
It's not bull**** it's just a strategy he can't beat so he gets mad, I like camping very fun to do with samus

W_Star

Smash Apprentice
I wonder why I can beat you or at least get you down to 1life? :confused: Stop making an effort to make everyone think I am jealous. Camping is a great strategy if your someone who is vulnerable to alot of attacks and you have one life left!

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
It's fair play, he just has to learn when to go in for the attack and when not to. He should also try to learn to wavedash as well, with some other tech's.

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
He just needs to play smarter then. Depending on both of your character he could find attacks or a way that he can lure you into your own strategy =)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I would classify your friend as a "whiner".

He can't adust to your playstyle so he cries about it. You win you win you lose you lose, regardless of how as long as you arn't cheating who cares.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Begolfer33 said:
Neither...Aggressive play is the best to get kills and win fights.
Worst/most incorrect statement.... Ever.

Also... How the hell do you have over 800 posts in 2 months? I thought I was a forum spammer. :laugh:

Edit: On topic... Everytime he whines about not being able to beat your strategy... Just say "No Johns"

W_Star

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Alex is right. We all get like that sometimes! I only call him camping when I lose. :( I remember when I used Samus and Alex kept complaining of me spamming. When all I did was use Samus's kneel fire attack 3 times in a row....and besides if it's working how is it spamming? Well your right. No johns ;)

W_Star

Smash Apprentice
Krekko said:
It's fair play, he just has to learn when to go in for the attack and when not to. He should also try to learn to wavedash as well, with some other tech's.
Trust me....I can tech and wavedash just as good as Alex can. :p

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Begolfer33 said:
Neither...Aggressive play is the best to get kills and win fights.
i agree,but you do have to have some defense,also, how the hell did you get THAT MANY post already,youve olny been on the site for how long,about a month earlier than me. :confused:

VGmasta

Smash Lord
O.K. my cousin, Ian, is always complaining about me "camping" and it's the only reason I always beat him. Is wavedashing back to dodge an attack, then hurting them / dodging an attack, then hurting them considered camping? I don't think it is, I call it defensive play, which he calls bull s***.
I know this thread is ancient, but I was just searchin' through all these different threads about camping, just to see if anyone else shared the same interpretations that I have on what camping vs. playing smart really is all about.

I think people often john unnecessarily about how "campy" I play. I've already taken my own personal survey by asking different people I play with about their take on my playstyle. Like 80% said I played campy.

I know I had like a very campy playstyle like maybe 6 months ago. But I have recently gotten a lot more aggressive than I used to be. I'm a Dr. Mario main who use to run away and throw about 50 pills a game on 1v1s on certain matchups. Whether my opponent was aggressive or campy I would only throw pills for 80% of the match. But this is what happens when someone like myself starts off the game by playing all of these lame-*** 4-player free-for-alls.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Is there a distinction between camping and defensive play?
Camping is pretty much avoiding your opponent through non-aggressive and evasive actions at all costs as if you are on your last stock at high% for most of the match. This would included infinite ledge stalling and platform hopping.

Defensive play is spacing yourself away from your opponents attacks that you are expecting so that you don't get punished. This includes wavedashing in and out, rolling away, dash-dancing, and spotdodging. Now if you are spacing yourself more than half a stage away from your opponent, that would be considered exaggerated spacing, often termed as camping.

EDIT:
The only match up where I would go beyond half a stage away is Capt. Falcon. But Falcon has the most speed in the game and can randomly catch you with any ol' knee or raptor boost that leads to losing a stock. Some situatuions call for exaggerated spacing.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I know this thread is ancient, but I was just searchin' through all these different threads about camping, just to see if anyone else shared the same interpretations that I have on what camping vs. playing smart really is all about.

I think people often john unnecessarily about how "campy" I play. I've already taken my own personal survey by asking different people I play with about their take on my playstyle. Like 80% said I played campy.

I know I had like a very campy playstyle like maybe 6 months ago. But I have recently gotten a lot more aggressive than I used to be. I'm a Dr. Mario main who use to run away and throw about 50 pills a game on 1v1s on certain matchups. Whether my opponent was aggressive or campy I would only throw pills for 80% of the match. But this is what happens when someone like myself starts off the game by playing all of these lame-*** 4-player free-for-alls.
Uh, I think its probaly good if you are campy instead of aggresive. I think I am aggresive myself, but that isn't good for me because then if I keep trying to move in on marth, I always hit a frickin wall. But its just me, I want to attack lol. I think I should throw more pills instead of just trying to go for the nair/uair/dair on a marth (approaching that is).

Like the guy above me said, play to win. If you would have the advantage by being aggresive, by all means play aggro. If vice versa, same thing.

You just got to know when to change up.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Wait, he's claiming that Wavedashing out the way of an incoming attack, then using the opening from avoiding that attack to hurt him is camping? That's disgustingly wrong. There's a difference between camping and letting yourself get hit.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Uh, I think its probaly good if you are campy instead of aggresive. I think I am aggresive myself, but that isn't good for me because then if I keep trying to move in on marth, I always hit a frickin wall. But its just me, I want to attack lol. I think I should throw more pills instead of just trying to go for the nair/uair/dair on a marth (approaching that is).

Like the guy above me said, play to win. If you would have the advantage by being aggresive, by all means play aggro. If vice versa, same thing.

You just got to know when to change up.
Agreed, playing too aggressive against a Marth who anticipates an aggressive Doc just gets Doc ***** all day. Doc doesn't have the priority or range to just steamroll through well-spaced (or even semi well-spaced) attacks.

Wait, he's claiming that Wavedashing out the way of an incoming attack, then using the opening from avoiding that attack to hurt him is camping? That's disgustingly wrong. There's a difference between camping and letting yourself get hit.
My sentiments exactly.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah. We have to try to get a grab in, and hope to god we can continue it with a strong attack (after that we gotta get out and come back with a part 2)

Then, we gotta watch out for his well spaced tips and and fsmash's on the edge (luckily you may get saved by edgetechs but you have to edgetech alot because they'll just fsmash again ;-;)

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
i have to say, camping is sorta fair play since both of u can do it to a pt. But what ur doing isn't necessarily camping.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
"Yeah man stop being a ***** and play like a man" Meaning that the person would rather me just not block and counter (well in Naruto)

Some people get mad that they can't hit you and yell at you for evading, when they want you to just sit there like a dummy. I have played with such people, but they weren't good at all so thats probaly why they were yelling in the first place.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Camping is not against the rules it's just unmanly is all. It's like a Boxer thats up on points and instead of keeping the fight going. He sticks and moves and then stops sticking and just continually moves/runs until the round is over to try and win the fight. It is a legit way of winning and is very smart and safe but it doesn't earn you any fans, support, praise, or....people generally won't want anything to do with you. Especially in a game like melee where so many great things happen even after nearly a decade, The last thing you want to do is get play wack as **** and drain a good game.

Oracle

Smash Master
Scrubs categorize any style that isn't heavy offense as defensive and gay.

Camping is using projectiles to control where your opponent can go, whereas defensive playing is taking very few approaches and spacing moves to make safe decisions.

Top Bottom