• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defiition of 'Camp'

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys define as camping? I was playing online today and was accused of camping with mario and link. I was using boomerangs and bombs as set ups to get in and do closer attacks, not standing around hurling bombs from a distance. But the guy says I'm camping by running and using projectiles. Same with mario, I'll throw fireballs into a fight to give me a good entrance in a 4 person ffa. I don't think that's camping.

Some of you guys have played me, do I camp? What is the accepted definition of 'camp'?

-MR

Edit: should say 'definition' lol sorry

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
I've played you and I don't remember thinking you were camping. I think the perfect example of camping would be a DK grab ***** who does nothing but play on hyrule and just stands in the green death box for the whole game waiting for you to get bored and jump in so he can get a lucky grab and then bounce u off the walls and do that grab combo which seems to be the only thing they know. I'd define it as staying in one place where you know you have an advantage in certain circumstances (as above, the DK knows that if he can grab you then he can dish a fair wack of damage and the clap you to death,) never moving and waiting for your opponent to get fed up and come to you.

For a 3/4 person FFA I'd say it is slightly different and can be seen more as simply being a no0b and staying away from the action whilst your opponents are preoccupied with each other so you can jump in at the last minute and vulture the kills.

Obviously spamming fireballs, lasers, etc is an effective tactic and as long as u didn't just stand away from the duels the whole game spamming from afar then this isn't camping.

I'd just ignore them and don't take what they said to heart, emularena has just spawned a load of tw*ts recently but I think enough has been said about that already lol

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I played u for around 1 minute and naw it aint camping. Sore losers -_-. Sorry i had to go. My dog was *****ing and when he needs to go outside he whines then evenually he'l start biting u. So i had to go :(

Mura

Smash Apprentice
Camping to me would be delibrately drawing out the match by staying away from the opponent(s).

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
I define camping as "picking a place" and playing from there, where it is usually helpful to the said "camper". The "green death box" is the most common camping I see, that's why I can't stand hyrule, anyone can combo in that little area-- I prefer Dreamland :)

Standing in one place and then running away when someone gets near is not camping, just "running away." It can be a biitch too, but its not "camping".

And that's just a 1v1. "Camping" is more general in things like FFAs-- anyone just standing spamming projectiles, or doing nothing at all, IS camping.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Some guy called my lasers cheating when I was Fox and ****** his floaty characters...:laugh:
Fox > floaties
Anyways, MediumDK plays a pretty campy DK...as do a lot of DK players. His DK is pretty good though...meh.
I don't really have anything against camping...it's basically a part of the game and if they really want to drag it out...well...their choice.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
Maybe what he accused you of was stalling by using projectiles. This is usually when you just shoot fireballs or use lasers and the second ur opponent gets close, you just run to the other side of the stage and repeat. He might've just been frustrated that he couldn't dodge your fireballs... :)

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Generally, (and this goes for any game) camping is staying in one spot, waiting for people to come to you. If your not doing that (intentionally), than dont worry about it. When people see a strategy that they can deal with, than some of them like to blame you: example- calling you a camper- even if its nothing close to camping anyways. Its just people getting pissed when their loosing. shake it off, and PWN HIM

greenblob

Smash Lord
It seems like the general consensus is "if you stay in one spot and wait for your opponent to come to you." Would this change if the other player were spamming projectiles and the only way to get to him/her would be to get hit by a few of them?

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Even If that person plans on not doing anything else BUT spam projectiles, as long as he dosnt run away when you try to get him, then start spamming again, it still isnt camping. its just annoying.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
would over abusing ledgehop aerials count as camping? Samus's SHFair jumps too high to hit those crouching kirbs and jiggs.

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
camping imo is staying in an area to either have an advantage or prolong the match...

but sometimes playing defensive can be mistaken for camping...

Joo

Smash Rookie
LOL I just saw this thread, I was playing with you when the guy said you were camping and threatened to kick you. You were not camping at all, that guy made my day.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Camping, to me means just staying near the edge of the stage the WHOLE match and hoping for a backthrow - edgeguard with kirby, dk, pika, or ness, or even falcon.

But, the thing about camping is that its a TERRIBLE idea. If the guy refuses to move, just pick someone with projectiles and make em move. If they're campers they probalby have bad mindgames, so confuse the **** out of them with z cancel tactics and short hop tech chases and put on the pressure and you will quickly pwn any camper.

Im a falcon player and I still with no projectiles can get around campers.. if I get too frustrated then Ill pick my 2nd characters, pika, and then at least I can force him to do something with neutral B :)

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
No , you dont camp.Tho there were sometimes where I had to chase you down xP but it wasnt that bad.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
@Dre... lol I ran from you to give me time to figure out how the hell to not let you combo me to death. We had some close games too, though.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I still can't figure out what to do against DKs who camp the right side of Hyrule...

greenblob

Smash Lord
Even If that person plans on not doing anything else BUT spam projectiles, as long as he dosnt run away when you try to get him, then start spamming again, it still isnt camping. its just annoying.
You misunderstood me.

Judging by the answers that were given, I said, "Assume that 'camping' is defined as 'staying in one spot for long periods of time.'" And then my question was, "Is this still the case (in other words, are you still camping) if you're staying in one spot to avoid a continuous stream of projectiles?" An example would be a short character (such as Kirby) taking cover from Fox's lasers at the left sloped platform of Hyrule. Is the Kirby character "camping" if he refuses to move because of a continuous stream of SHDL?

And to further the discussion: I don't necessarily define camping in such a manner, but I think there should be a general definition for camping, which doesn't necessarily mean that it must have negative overtones.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I think that there are only a few true examples of camping in ssb, just because you have so many options as to how to approach a camper, spam projectiles at a camper, or just have a test of wills by going to the other side and waiting it out. IMO, examples of camping are:
1. Kirby waiting by edge to suck u in, spit u out over edge, and up+b or dair u.
2. DK waiting underneath death tent in hyrule, picks u up, throws against right side and dair u.
These are camping to me because they can lead to extremely low damage kills, and they take little skill or timing to pull off.
Now what I dont consider camping, but it still REALLY ticks me off, is when players wait near the hyrule castle, and use it to their advantage (chain grabbing off of hyrule, and then up smash for kill). Now granted, this is using the level to ur advantage, and takes skill and timing, so I do not really think of it as camping, but it can still be annoying.
To solve this, play Dream Land because DL>Hyrule any day

felix45

Smash Lord
dreamland is boring. besides all these people that have trouble with campers on hyrule should just learn to play mario or link. no camper can stand a mario or link spam, it is just too good. depending on how intent the camper is sometimes I get almost 150% free just from bomb/boom spam from link until they decide camping isn't such a hot idea for them.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I still can't figure out what to do against DKs who camp the right side of Hyrule...
Be better than him. Trust me, campers are nothing compared to playing the elites from this forum. Lemme give you a run down of what thats like

You run around, you might get lucky and mindgames your way into a hit then get a combo, maybe a 0-death if you're lucky.

However, 90 percent of the time they out mindgame you, you mess up, they punish. Then, you get combo'd to death. You can try DI but half the time they follow it anyway.

Solution? Get better.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
You can always just stall his butt back, and then the game becomes a stalemate. Or you can jump on top of the greenhouse and try to get him from there. Knock DK upwards since he's so **** heavy it leads to leet combos!

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Whoa now, dream land is definetly not boring. Now granted you get knocked off the edge a lot easier, and over the edge in ssb64 is always a dangerous place to be, but the level itself is certainly not boring.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
I would define camping as going near the edge of the stage and just waiting there for your opponent to attack you.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I would define camping as going near the edge of the stage and just waiting there for your opponent to attack you.
Me too, except I consider camping an advantage to the person who isn't camping. You really can do so many things to screw camping up its not even funny.

Top Bottom