• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Definition of "pro"

AndorranPrince

Smash Rookie
What, in your opinion, makes someone be "ready" for playing against pros while not having a tournament record? Beating a level 9? Beating 3 on a team in time? Beating 3 at a time at stock? Boss battles on intense? 2000 game hours? What do you think?

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
None of those things. No one is ready for playing against pros without tourney experience. That is, unless they've played very good people or "pros" outside of tourneys seriously and dedicate themselves to learn advanced techs etc.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
None of the above. One can only truly be 'ready' once one practices and goes out to try. No amount of frivolous achievements will make you any more or less 'ready.' Any personal goals can be set to make one feel they are ready.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
go to tournaments and rank high a lot, learn a lot about the game, be smart, stuff like that

being able to beat computers should be taken for granted. Boss battles? you're kidding right? o_O
Wait, should be or shouldn't be? Your last sentence reads weird.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
A "pro" or also called professional is someone that can make money off of what is usually done by amateurs, such as Baseball. In this instance, you have to be able to consistently place high in tournaments.

link2702

Smash Champion
none of the things you listed at all would make you ready, to honestly, even face a mid-level competitive player. lets look at what ya listed....

Beating a Level 9 cpu: cpus, while smarter in brawl then in the other smashes, are still just cpus, they are predictable, lack the ability to take advantage of the oppenents characters faults(I've never seen a falco cpu perform his cg on someone, or camp his *** off like a real falco would) nor do they know how to take advantage of their own characters traits(ever seen a cpu use the cg for the broken eskimos of hell? i haven't.) all cpus really can do is react to your button presses, thats about it., and while they are smarter in brawl then any other smash, they are still cpus, and not real people, the only thing cpus are really good for, is if you have no people to face, and want to practice advanced moves like the cg for the broken eskimos of hell, the DACUS, glide tossing, ect.. on something other then lag-fi

Beating 3 people at one time Unless they were actual real competitive players themsevles, and not your neighbors down the street who just mash buttons like morons hoping it hits, honestly this isn't gonnna help you much, now..against real competitive players, i might be able to see this having some benefit for doubles matches, when your partner dies and your forced to go solo against 2 other people, but other then that, this isn't gonna help you much, again, you need to have faced actual competitive players, not your neighbors down the street who mindlessly mash buttons and play with items on all the time.

Boss battles on intense lol...your kidding right? this would have no benefit whatsoever to your ability to face other people, zero. the only thing you could use this for, would be for the same thing as cpus, to practice "certain" advanced moves, like glide tossing with items, or the DACUS, but honestly, you could just face a cpu or hell go to training mode to do that.

2000 game hours well that just means you are an obsessed smash bros nerd like the rest of us :3 but whether or not its casually or competitively is entirely different.

highfive

Smash Lord
A "pro" or also called professional is someone that can make money off of what is usually done by amateurs, such as Baseball. In this instance, you have to be able to consistently place high in tournaments.

Yeah. I agree with Yink.

Zega

Smash Cadet
go to tournaments and rank high a lot, learn a lot about the game, be smart, stuff like that

being able to beat computers should be taken for granted. Boss battles? you're kidding right? o_O
fighting pro's is a boss battle.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Outside of raw tournament placings, your best bet for practicing to even put up a challenge to top players would be online play, in which case you need to work yourself into roughly the top 200 on the AiB ladder.

Count

Smash Champion
IMO to be pro you have to be one of the best (or the best depending on the character) with your character/conssitently place in the money in tournaments.

I think being considered "semi-pro" would mean to get in the money a lot of time the time and be in the top 5-10 with your character, depending on how much the character is used.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

Pretty much this. Make yourself known (in a good way haha).

lol, that's rPSI (rocketpsience), not Yink. They made their names confusing
Yeah I really wish he'd change it back. :/

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I think it's if someone makes money at something, or in this case, money at Brawl. By playing it, of course.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
None of those things. No one is ready for playing against pros without tourney experience. That is, unless they've played very good people or "pros" outside of tourneys seriously and dedicate themselves to learn advanced techs etc.
QFT.
I fall into the last category. I have not gone to any major tournaments, but I am dedicated to learning ATs and my characters.

Top Bottom