• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Demo Discussion (No code giveaway etc.)

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I know what you are talking about. I spent hours and hours with the N64 controller, hours and hours with the GC controller and hours and hours with the Wii classic controller. I would love if the 3DS controls felt exactly the same as the classic controller, but... I know how to adapt. It is not a big deal. I have played the Smash 3DS demo for a couple hours and I adapted to the controls (not 100% yet, but I am sure I will once I have the full game and I can customize the layout a bit). I respect people preferring other control over the 3DS controls, but some people here (not you specifically) talk like the 3DS controls are the worst thing ever and Smash can only be played with a GC controller (which isn't even the best controller for Smash). Hyperbole get annoying after a while.
You ignored the main point and went for something that really wasn't said, and never has been. It really isn't a question of adaption. The people that like the GCN controller are not ones that simply cannot adapt to a new control style. They do. It is that the GCN controller really IS a better controller option than anything else that has come out. We can adapt to something else if we're forced to, but when a better option exists, why not take it?

Look at the pro players, what controller do most of them use? It's the GCN controller pretty much every time, even in Brawl which had a million control options. And these are people who are the most informed about the game. There's a reason for that too. You've got the C-stick in perfect access, you've got a larger A button with smaller but perfectly beveled Y and X, easy shield button access, an intuitively placed grab button.

The thing is though, in general I really DON'T like the GameCube controller. It might even have been the worst controller that Nintendo ever put out... EXCEPT for Smash. I played Wind Waker HD with the Pro controller, which is really an excellent controller, and I had a great time and I felt it was better than the GCN. But for Smash, there's just no question. It was an eerily perfect controller for the game.

EndgameN

Star Lord
NNID
EndgameN
3DS FC
3625-8676-1692
I am pleased with the speed of the game, it seems between Melee and Brawl and the removal of tripping is a big plus. I think Mario is my favorite because of his combo potential and fair spike. Megaman is weird to use but fun, even if hard knuckle can be reflected. Villager is probably bottom for me cause his aerials are hard to land and he can easily be reflected.

Big thing I noticed is that in addition to megaman's Fsmash being reflected, Villager's bowling ball is as well.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Link's dash attack can jump over Villager's Lloyd Rocket.

lol i love this game

Addy Who Dat

Smash Cadet
I've had a little time with the game demo. So far MegaMan is feeling REALLY good. Idk why. The controls are feeling really good and the game is very smooth. For me tho, it's a little tough rooling. That's all I really have. U may ask other questions do

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Only real downside of the demo (aside from gold not transferring to the final game):

SHE'S SO CLOSE

I CAN ALMOST TASTE HER

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Repeating this for a new page: you can turn items off. Just switch to the Final Destination version of Battlefield (X at stage selection).

Anyway, now I'm 5182 coins in, whatever time that translates to, and here are two additional thoughts:

I'm really looking forward to when I'll be able to use :4pikachu: and :4megaman: with tap jump off. Up tilt and up air are good moves for both, but they're just rough to use without accidentally jumping. These characters are already good as-is, but I do feel like something's missing in my play with each specifically because I'm not incorporating these moves as much as I should.

Because of the landing lag, I really expect that characters with great aerials and average or better movement speed will typically rise to the top of the competitive scene. :4mario: and :4megaman: can approach with back airs all day since they end so quickly and smoothly whereas :4pikachu: and :4link: have to get in with projectiles. I'm looking forward to you, Smash 4 Jigglypuff and Kirby. This is an engine for you.

Last edited:

Prince Lolz

Smash Apprentice
Does pikachus damage rates and physics feel really different (in a good way) or am I just crazy? I never used to like pikachu, but in the demo it is second only to villager as my favorites. And his back air is SO GOOD now... Ugh I just love it :D

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Does pikachus damage rates and physics feel really different (in a good way) or am I just crazy? I never used to like pikachu, but in the demo it is second only to villager as my favorites. And his back air is SO GOOD now... Ugh I just love it :D
To me it felt like Pikachu was nerfed. I'll try these things though.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Got myself a demo, better join the discussion. Here are my character thoughts:

Mario: Pretty much the same as Brawl.
Link: Either I've gotten better with Link, or he's gotten buffed. I feel like his Up B and smash attacks have been buffed.
Pikachu: Pretty much the same as Brawl.
Megaman: He is officially my #1 main this game. I really love his up and side smash, his Top Spin is awesome, his aerials are great, and he just rocks (No pun intended :p ) in general.
Villager: He's fairly good when it comes to attacking. And man, has he got some awesome recovery! Not only does he have Balloon Trip and Loid Rocket, but he also jumps pretty high and I think his grab can be used as tether recovery.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to a generous member here, I now have the demo!
I gotta say, it is so much fun! All 5 characters I have tried seem to be really balanced.
Does anyone know what happens when holding down R at the stage select?

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I had the demo for about 30 mins now here's my impressions

It's great to feel it feels exactly like Melee and Brawl in terms of speed and attacks it was hard at first to get in the controls but I gotten used to it after my 2nd match.

Mario: Feels great as always
Link: He seems much faster to me then he did in Brawl plus I love his dash attack where he jumps
Pikachu: Real fun to play as seems a bit faster then Brawl plus how Thunder works now it great
MegaMan: I mastered him pretty quickly I love how his moveset is plus I love blasting the others with his Mega Buster
Villager: I ain't gonna lie I thought he/she wouldn't be strong...boy was I wrong Villager has made into my main list

Overall it's great, just as fun as the 1st 3 installements, looks great in motion and in person plus how the music (oh god so god-like) can't wait to fight others on October 3rd :)

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I've decided that I just don't like Mega Man. His moveset wasn't as disappointing as Sonic's in Brawl, but it's just not good in my opinion. I heavily rely on AAA combos, and I just can't get the hang of a good alternate combo with him. Leaf Shield is a bust, and his side special is alright if your opponent is stupid. The blade is probably the best thing going for him other than his Smash attacks. I really hope that his alternate moves are better.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Megaman's short hop Bair seems great for approaching as it hits twice, being able to neutralise a projectile and still strike the opponent. His tilt up comes out very quickly and has a strike effect like Luigi's up B, making it lethal out of shield and can KO from low percentages. His off stage offense is super safe as his recovery is really fast and high, making chasing characters off stage really easy. Megaman seems solid for spacing and keeping away, but can also handle close combat, with his grab being really quick and his smashes covering wide areas as well as his sliding move being usable to escape a blocked attack. I see a lot of potential in this character :)

tyronimacaroni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Uri500
3DS FC
3566-1635-8208
Well, I'm somewhat of a competitive noob so I've spent the last 7 hours just messing around with Link. He's a lot of fun to play, and his dash attack is insanely good.

However, and this may just be me, does anyone else find Megaman really easy to fight? Even at lvl 9 his moves seem easy to dodge and he's not that hard to kill. He's SD'd on me twice because he still had the leaf shield up and apparently couldn't recover.
Yeah, I agree with you, the Lvl 9 MegaMan is really not very difficult. I once in the demo won a match against him 3-0 using Link...

However, a Megaman controlled by a player who knows how to utilize him is a different story. I played local wireless with my brother, and he beat me (although narrowly) nearly every time he chose Megaman. It's all a matter of the quality of the CPU AI, which can never quite compare to playing against an experienced, real-life player.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
From my experience, Mario and Pikachu have excellent AI, Link is a close second, and Villager and Mega Man are kinda meh.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
So I ran into a glitch last night. I was playing random with 4 characters, and every single time (over 20 matches) I got Villager. To test it out, after a match, I pressed B and picked random again. Sure enough, I was Mega Man the next match. I don't know why it happened, but it was weird.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I ran into a glitch last night. I was playing random with 4 characters, and every single time (over 20 matches) I got Villager. To test it out, after a match, I pressed B and picked random again. Sure enough, I was Mega Man the next match. I don't know why it happened, but it was weird.
It's not a glitch, it's just that the random character selection is messed up due to only having 5 characters in the demo. I get the same opponents in 1v1 at least a few times in a row.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
It's not a glitch, it's just that the random character selection is messed up due to only having 5 characters in the demo. I get the same opponents in 1v1 at least a few times in a row.
I dunno, I think it might be a glitch. I tried the same thing. I kept getting Mega Man like 7-8 games in a row. I found it weird so I started quitting matches to see if I'd get him again and again, which did happen for about 10-12 more tries. Finally, I pressed B, and selected it again, and it finally gave me Link, then I kept getting Link.

EDIT: The weird thing is, the computers change.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Has anyone with the demo managed to do a pivot f-smash? Or do you actually need a c-stick to do it.

Also general impressions, Mario is amazing, Link feels good again, Don't enjoy playing as Pikachu or Villager but they both look great, and Mega Man is my favorite to use.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Amongst the five available characters, I have found mineself playing as Link and Mega Man the most, though I occasionally use Mario. I absolutely suck with Pikachu and Villager.

Mega Man has a VERY interesting moveset. Now that I have actually played as him, I can definitely see him being a terrifying opponent, if used tactically.

Link has been greatly improved. Where he lacks in speed, he more than makes up for with power. I especially like his new dash attack, which can kill at high percentages. His special attacks feel a lot quicker, too.

Though I doubt Mega Man or Link will be mine mains in the final version, I could definitely see mineself playing as them once in a while, just for fun.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Whoa Link has a pretty strong tipper on the first hit of f-smash. I know the tips section says he has one on dash attack too. Any one know about any more Link might have?

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
So far I'm in love with this game, although there are some things that I'm definitely going to change once the option becomes available with the full game.

-Switch L/R positions (I'm used to dodging with the left side of a GC controller and grabbing with the right side with "Z")
-Probably switch to D-Pad from Circle Pad if for no other reason than out of paranoia and overprotectiveness of it.

With that out of the way, let's get into what I think of the game so far.

Pros
-Feels far smoother than Brawl/Project M as a whole. (That's probably because Brawl had bad gravity and I further modded the hell out of P:M)
-The general effects are far more epic, vivid and energetic than Brawl. I will take a red/black lightning bolt on a kill move over a simple screen flash any day. Shading and character shadows seem better than what they were in Brawl; this is on a portable, so that's great.

Cons
- Due to the 3DS's limitations and insurance of quality on the fighters, it's obvious that this was a logical decision on the dev team's part, but personally, the 30FPS on A.T's and Pokemon are far more noticeable than I anticipated. Again, that's just a personal gripe; it doesn't really take away from the experience, especially if you're doing no items.

Character Stuff
-I'm used to the Melee down-b for Mario, so using Fludd is kinda depressing for me; I might actually forward to playing Dr. Mario x3
-Megaman and Villager are freaking great newcomers; they offer so much uniqueness to the fight. Freaking ranged jab attacks and pocketing items.
-Mario Finale seems to trap opponents in its flames for at least half of the map, now, so instead of doing it from off the ledge, I could probably guarantee kills now by aiming it from the center.
-Is it me or is Mega-Man's up-tilt more of a kill move than his up-smash?
-Link just feels awesome. Don't really kow how to word it as I don't play much Link.
-AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICES HOW OMINOUSLY THE ANNOUNCER SAYS "VILLAGER"? (Seriously, it's like he knows of the Villager's deeds)
-HOLY CRAP, I CAN ACTUALLY CONTROL VOLT TACKLE NOW, WOT.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've tried out the special code demo, and studied my smash attack and grab frequency with the five playable characters. I've found myself doing more smash attacks with Mario, Link, and Pikachu, than with Villager, and Mega Man.

Of course, neither of them felt like you could utilize their grab games much without taking advantage of someone's helpless state or mistake.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I've tried out the special code demo, and studied my smash attack and grab frequency with the five playable characters. I've found myself doing more smash attacks with Mario, Link, and Pikachu, than with Villager, and Mega Man.

Of course, neither of them felt like you could utilize their grab games much without taking advantage of someone's helpless state or mistake.
Are you playing against the computers? You probably can't grab them cause I'm certain they read your inputs. They roll the instant you hit the grab button if they're able.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Are you playing against the computers? You probably can't grab them cause I'm certain they read your inputs. They roll the instant you hit the grab button if they're able.
I've noticed the CPU dodging Villager's grab attempts, so it's pretty safe to assume that the Villager's grab attempts are on the slow side. For everyone else, however, most notably Mario, Pikachu, and Mega Man, their grabs moved quick enough to catch the CPU before it had any chance to react.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I've noticed the CPU dodging Villager's grab attempts, so it's pretty safe to assume that the Villager's grab attempts are on the slow side. For everyone else, however, most notably Mario, Pikachu, and Mega Man, their grabs moved quick enough to catch the CPU before it had any chance to react.
You're having more luck than me then. I can be running right behind the computer for a few seconds and once I hit grab they'll roll back and punish me. And yeah Villagers grab seems pretty slow, especially if you whiff jeez.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You're having more luck than me then. I can be running right behind the computer for a few seconds and once I hit grab they'll roll back and punish me. And yeah Villagers grab seems pretty slow, especially if you whiff jeez.
If it helps, pretty much all of my successful grab attempts are NOT dash grabs; the five playable characters don't have reliable dash grabs anyway.

It should also be noted that the CPU was set to level 1 when it avoided the Villager's grab attempt; this means that even the easiest CPU is programmed to evade potential grab attempts.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I got the demo yesterday and I have a few thoughts.

- The game is really fluid and a lot of fun. It also looks amazing, and I have a regular 3DS. Definitely not Brawl 2.0.
- The controls are sadly (but unsurprisingly) horrible, largely because of the circle pad. I think it will be better once the buttons can be remapped, since reaching over the attack buttons to jump just feels wrong. Turning tap jump off will make a HUGE diference too.
- Edgehogging doesn't work at all, I don't see why it was taken out.
- The new ledge invincibility mechanics are really cool, though.
- This game has combos! Unlike Brawl, I don't feel like I'm gonna be attacked every time I chase someone in hitstun. Opponents can often (definitely not always) jump or airdodge out, but both of those options can be punished hard.
- Airdodges look like they have no ending lag but I think the animation is misleading, there seems to be a lot of time where the character isn't invincible even though they're flashing.
- Rolls are pretty ridiculous but similarly, they don't seem to have a lot of invincibility.

Juken

Smash Ace
I like Mega-Man. He's not someone who's like a close-combat monster with zero to death combos like Mario or falcon, but I can see him doing well for someone who's good at reading. It's a lot easier to play him if you try and treat your enemy like a boss from Mega-Man, where you just keep your distance or try to read their movement and punish with his strong, but predictable moves. His throws also combo well into some of his attacks, which is very nice in comparison to someone like Little Mac's grabs.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I found it incredibly difficult to get a KO below 150% Because of how huge the blastzones are, and since the gravity is so light, they can often float most of the way back to the stage and not be at risk of being gimped.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Villager and Mega Man don't seem all that friendly for my tastes. Villager's best moves appear to be very situational. Additionally, the fact that most of Mega Man's attacks are projectiles means that reflecting moves are his kryptonite; even Link's shield can block most of his projectiles.

At least Mario appears to be manageable.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
From a chat with my friend describing my experience with the 3ds demo. I find level 9 villager (Murderer) to be a monster and I practice constantly against him.

Boozer: Level 9 comps are perfect at spacing, they grab you when it's most effective, and they perfect shield more the closer they are to you.
Boozer: Villager bowling ball outranges Pikachu's forward smash and is faster.
Boozer: It also hits like Bowser forward smash and will kill medium weight characters at 75% edge of final destination.
Boozer: Villager lv9 tends to use up smash to prevent all aerial approach as well. The fire crackers have a little less horizontal range than Mega Man up smash, but deals more damage and travels farther vertically.
Boozer: It is timed perfectly 90% of the time.
Boozer: Villager lv 9 cannot be edge guarded by anyone but mario.
Boozer: Villager lv 9 will also learn to deal with projectile spam you use as you play against him.
Boozer: The exception is link's bomb thrown straight up.
Boozer: For whatever reason, the AI forgets the bombs exist if you do that.
Boozer: lol
Boozer: Villager lv 9 will edge guard you with his forward and back air sling shot.
Boozer: It will kill you at optimal range, 75+% off-stage
Boozer: You can bait it if you're mario.
Boozer: Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass.
Boozer: Now, about Mario vs Murderer.
Boozer: Mario's cape hard-counters him.
Boozer: The bowling ball is apparently a projectile.
Boozer: If you cape JUST THE BOWLING BALL, Villager will be hit by his own bowling ball and die.
Boozer: Almost guaranteed.
Boozer: I did it on accident and found out that against lv9 comp, it's easy to do because they always perfect space their bowling ball.
Boozer: In addition, the cape is faster than all of Villager's attacks.
Boozer: Villager's grab is devastating. It has range all around him and recovers fast.
dapperFedora: Heh
Boozer: The only drawback is that it's the slowest grab in the game to come out.
dapperFedora: That is pretty funny.
Boozer: It also turns out the up b trajectory is unchangeable.
Boozer: You can only travel in the direction Villager is facing.
Boozer: If you cape him without popping the balloons, you force Villager to die.
Boozer: I can kill Villager lv9 3 times in 2 min with Mario only.
Boozer: No other character in the demo can do this against Villager lv9.
Boozer: Villager's greatest weakness by far, though, is his helpless state.
Boozer: He goes into helpless state after upb and after using forward b to recover.
Boozer: If he touches the ground, you have a good second and a half of landing lag.
Boozer: Enough time for a charged smash.
Boozer: Oh, and Villager's forward b.
Boozer: When the projectile comes out, it blocks other projectiles and is invulnerable to damage.
Boozer: After the first second, it becomes vulnerable and travels forward. If you attack it, the explosion is quite strong.
Boozer: Do not try to shield it when close to Villager.
Boozer: He will run and grab you.
Boozer: If you are close when Villager uses forward b, dash attack or dash grab.
Boozer: The projectile does not have a hit box until it starts to travel.
Boozer: You can usually reach Villager and knock him away before he can capitalize on the insane advantage his forward b gives him.
Boozer: To give you an idea, Villager runs alongside the forward b grounded like a mobile shield.
Boozer: Your attacks will always hit the forward b projectile first.
Boozer: ******.
Boozer: Mario can cape it and the lv 9 Murderer rarely attempts to shield it.
Boozer: Thanks to lv 9 villager, I also figured out that Pikachu has a horrible time cornering people on stage.
Boozer: Pikachu's best ground options are his down tilt, forward tilt, and dash attack. His best air options are his forward air and up air, though back air has its uses. Up smash got nerfed knockback and forward smash is slower than before.
Boozer: In return, Thunder down b is monstrous.
Boozer: I have confirmed that if you touch the lightning at any point in the air, you will be spiked into pikachu and take double the damage.
Boozer: You will also be sent flying, but the knockback has been reduced for touching pikachu during Thunder.
Boozer: All of this combined means Pikachu has trouble killing anything.
Boozer: You have to chase people off stage with forward b or edge guard with neutral b to actually set up kills.
Boozer: Pikachu vs Murderer is the hardest matchup in the demo.
Boozer: You will die a lot.
Boozer: The trick to winning is that Murderer has a touch time reacting to Pikachu's forward b.
Boozer: Pikachu's forward b has an incredible speed buff.
Boozer: It charges faster, flies farther, flies faster.
Boozer: It makes Luigi cry.
Boozer: It doesn't have that much knockback, but if you land a charged up forward b, it has a good chance to kill someone.
Boozer: That's the only way I can gain a stock advantage against Villager, and even then Villager wil turn the match around in an instant with just a single bowling ball.
Boozer: Goddamn Villager!
Boozer: Link vs Villager is fairly straight forward and in Link's advantage. His sword length and speed both neutralize Villager's ground ability and Link's projectiles are often hard for the AI to deal with.
Boozer: Link overall is extremely powerful and fun to play.
Boozer: His second attack of the forward smash almost never connects unless the enemy is low percent or you time it into someone's recovery.
Boozer: But his dash attack hits as hard.
Boozer: You can dash attack past Villager's forward b and kill him before he can do anything.
Boozer: It's quite satasfying.
Boozer: satisfying*
Boozer: I've also mastered Mega Man.
Boozer: The joy of Mega man is figuring him out.
Boozer: Mega Man vs Villager is tough and doing this fight forces you to master Mega Man.
Boozer: Mega Man has unconventional kill potential.
Boozer: His smash attacks are for damage wracking and killing at higher percents. The smash attacks all have very specific spacing and uses.
Boozer: Mega Man's only kill move is up-tilt shoryuken.
Boozer: It kills villager at 90% center of final destination.
Boozer: fresh.
Boozer: In return, Mega Man's ability to constantly damage an opponent is the highest I've ever seen.
Boozer: Megaman can combo projectiles. Megaman's up smash has amazing vertical range and enough horizontal range to suck people in for lots of damage.
Boozer: Megaman's aerials are all great at damage, amazing hit boxes, amazing speed, and will kill people easily if you use it off-stage.
Boozer: Megaman's up air has infinite range and will carry people to the top and kill them if they are light enough and damaged enough.
Boozer: This is useful against Villager's infinite vertical recovery potential.
Boozer: Megaman's smash attacks are also fairly fast, however, his down smash has 2 seconds of down time and will get you killed against lv 9 Villager.
Boozer: Finally, in addition to all this, I have discovered the true purpose of Leaf Shield.
Boozer: Leaf Shield will multi-hit targets directly around megaman.
Boozer: If you press A or B, the leaf shield will launch itself for a pathetic multi-hit projectile.
Boozer: the only thing you can still do while leaf shield is active is... grab.
Boozer: Yes.
Boozer: You can force grab opportunities with Megaman.
Boozer: Simply running into someone with leaf shield and grabbing them is a thing.
Boozer: It's a ****ing thing.
Boozer: Megaman's grab range is piss poor, but it comes out instantly and covers his WHOLE BODY.
dapperFedora: Heh
Boozer: You can corner someone at the edge and grab them.
Boozer: In return, megaman has no kill throws.
Boozer: It is used for constantly stacking damage.
Boozer: Mario can start his grab before I do and I will still grab Mario if he is touching Megaman.
Boozer: Again, it's kissing range, but it's beast when you realize you can chain it with leaf shield.
Boozer: The rest of it is just properly applying the damage and punishing enemy spacing with your smash attacks until you win.
Boozer: if they offer an opportunity, chasing them off-stage or an up-tilt is almost a guaranteed stock.
Boozer: If they jump from the ledge, your up air will reach them no matter what.
Boozer: If they recover low, you can falling forward air and lock them down before jumping back up or just down air ranged spike.
Boozer: Speaing of which, the down air arm-cannon can be stolen by Villager. This pissed me off.
Boozer: he stole my goddamn hand
Boozer: **** you, Villager

It took me 3 matches to figure out the controls, 5 matches to get used to not hitting L on reflex for shielding and dodging, and 10 seconds to understand how to perform smash attacks with the thumb-stick on my normal sized 3ds. I have no issues with the controls or the physics now. I can properly chase enemies off-stage now. I just want to play Bowser...

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing a bit more... and just a couple of things:

1) I love the new edge mechanic. I think it makes better the air attack out of the stage and meteors will have even more interest.

2) I think there is a pretty good balance between ground and air game. I can't be sure, but that's my impression. Seems like :4littlemac: and Jigglypuff will be very different but viable.

3) Don't like one thing: why removing edgehogging? It would probably be more exciting with the new mechanic.

4) I'm sorry, I'm not a Melee fanboy, but I cannot stop imagining if this game had powershield, L-cancel and wavedash. Maybe not that exactly, but any other technique to counter projectiles, to cancel landing lag after an aerial attack and/or to move would be awesome. I'm not sure if characters like :4charizard: or Ganondorf are exactly viable without these things.

5) I believe there has been lots of changes in classic attacks (:4mario:'s :4link:'s and :4pikachu:'s). Knockback and direction has been changed a lot I see. And I would also say hitbox-hurtbox requires you to be more precise. Which is perfect, I think.

6) :sadeyes::icsmelee::popo:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Villager and Mega Man don't seem all that friendly for my tastes. Villager's best moves appear to be very situational. Additionally, the fact that most of Mega Man's attacks are projectiles means that reflecting moves are his kryptonite; even Link's shield can block most of his projectiles.

At least Mario appears to be manageable.
The extent of the power of Link's shield is very exaggerated though. It only stops projectiles if he stands absolutely still and doesn't move, which is unlikely to happen very often in a match.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
The demo is pretty boring.Anyone who plays it more than once is crazy.
Ah, sorry you feel this way. Most of my friends refuse to play the demo because it doesn't have the characters they like. I ended up being the only one trying to figure out stuff.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The demo is pretty boring.Anyone who plays it more than once is crazy.
To be fair, it does get boring after a while, but if the gold that you've collected can be transferred onto the actual game, you can at least get a head start with your trophy collection.

Top Bottom