• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Demo is out now

M@v

Subarashii!
L is grab and R is shield in the demo.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
Just downloaded the demo and played a few matches. First impressions are positive so far, though it did take me a little while to get used to. I believe it only took me like 10 minutes to get used to the controls.

Say, for the Global mode, when it says I can play with Anyone I noticed that on the bottom right it says Local Wireless. Does that mean I can only play with people from my State or something, because I can't seem to get to anyone playing the demo. Unless everyone around the world is just playing single player currently.
thats for local play XD

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
Man, I just cannot get used to Mega Man. He plays so differently from what I'm used to. I can tell I won't be maining him anytime soon.

@ WhiteKnight WhiteKnight , Lol, thanks. I don't know what I was thinking. I kind of figured when it said play with people nearby. :p

Last edited:

Greenshortz

Smash Rookie
The game is so much fun it was a lot better than i expected. gameplay is smooth ... only concerns is my circle pad keeps getting unbalanced so my tilts vs smashes are coming out ****ing and my fingers are sooo sore i might need to upgrade to an xl even though i just got this 3ds... so much money for an xl tho.

Also it feels like melee on the ground and brawl-eque in the air weird combination but overall the game has its own feel which i enjoy and appreciate

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Ya I already know this I guess I'm not used to 3ds controls. Cuz I almost always do a high jump when I don't mean 2 even when pressing x or y.
Good god whenever I play Fox on Project M I feel the same way.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
L is grab and R is shield in the demo.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
This is me. before I got used to it. This is still me after I'm used to it despite not wanting to get used to it.

Man, I just cannot get used to Mega Man. He plays so differently from what I'm used to. I can tell I won't be maining him anytime soon.
Same man, same. I'd have to put a lot of effort in, but I don't feel like bothering. He doesn't have the kind of playstyle I want.

Last edited:

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
I'm really not seeing the "faster than brawl" aspect of this game, I wish I could. I'm not trying to be a doom and gloom or anything, I just don't see it. Even then, I'm still excited to play the full game, even if it feels the same as Brawl to me. I'm hype for the new characters, and for the meta game to unfold.

I don't think a C-stick is necessary, I am still able to stay mobile with Mario using multiple Bair and moving forward at the same time.

Should I be worried about my Circle Pad breaking? I play relatively smooth with the circle pad for my skill level at least, which is good, but I'm still afraid I might eventually break it somehow... scary thought. Apparently others have broken theirs. :c
doing smash attacks doesnt take much strength so just keep that in mind and you control stick will be fine :)

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
The Villager is easier to play for me then Mega Man, but even then he's still tough to play. So for me that's two newcomers I rarely won't be using. I'm sure Little Mac and Shulk will definitely be the newcomers I use the most though.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Oh goodness, the controls are so weird. Even attacking and jumping is really awkward. I'm definitely changing the controls around.
i was thinking that too. but now im like 30 matches in and im completely use to it as for jumping i used the control stick so it was fine.

i think by the time the full game rolls in people will be fine with the standard controls

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
My main impression is how freaking smooth and fluid this game is. I'm enjoying Mario, Link, and Pikachu despite not caring for them at all in past Smash games, and I think it's down to how much control I feel like I have with them. Mega Man's the only one who isn't quite living up to this but I'll chalk that up to his crazy set for now.

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
i was thinking that too. but now im like 30 matches in and im completely use to it as for jumping i used the control stick so it was fine.

i think by the time the full game rolls in people will be fine with the standard controls
Yeah, I certainly hope so. That or I could hook my 3DS with a Gamecube controller like that one guy..

Though not knowing where the jump button is killed me about four times. I swear, I saw Pikachu try to attack when I'm trying to get back on stage.

Viper Bite

Smash Rookie
I like the characters in this order:

1. Megaman
2. Link
3. Pikachu
4. Villager
5. Mario

None of these characters are what I wish to master so I'm not going to be too invested.

Last edited:

dd_ray

Smash Rookie
NNID
dray
3DS FC
0404-5755-0943
I'm really not seeing the "faster than brawl" aspect of this game, I wish I could. I'm not trying to be a doom and gloom or anything, I just don't see it. Even then, I'm still excited to play the full game, even if it feels the same as Brawl to me. I'm hype for the new characters, and for the meta game to unfold.

I don't think a C-stick is necessary, I am still able to stay mobile with Mario using multiple Bair and moving forward at the same time.

Should I be worried about my Circle Pad breaking? I play relatively smooth with the circle pad for my skill level at least, which is good, but I'm still afraid I might eventually break it somehow... scary thought. Apparently others have broken theirs. :c
Really? I am finding it WAY faster than brawl. This is definately NOT brawl 2.0 but it's own game entirely. In fact the ground game feels a lot closer to melee than brawl IMO. Go back and play brawl, youll notice the difference immediately :p

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Megaman > Everyone else. Might've actually used pikachu if I could change the controls. Stupid tap jump -_-

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
That's the norm for demos. You'll find that it's more than enough before the full game release, but if it's not, you can always keep it charged in sleep mode.
That's just when you close the screen right? Because I already considered that, nice to know it will work.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Some impressions from me.

Visuals:
• Beautiful, especially for a 3DS game.
• I can see everything clearly. I was worried that I'd basically need an XL for this but the normal 3DS has a good display.

Game feel:
• Definitely closest to Brawl, but I knew that already.
• Definitely not anything like Project M. I played Smash 4 and played PM immediately afterwards and they are radically different. Whoever said this game plays most like PM is whack lol.
• Link still feels disgusting. I don't get it, there's just something about how Link handles that I've never liked, outside of Smash 64.
• Megaman feels like a dream. His dash, run, fall and jump speeds all click. I hope he doesn't become my main, as explained below.

Controls:
• Took some time to get used to, but on the whole it is really, really good! I was fearful for the 3DS's control scheme but everything works fine.
• Tap Jump is annoying however. Nearly every time I try to Uair I do double jump Uair accidentally.
• Run Stop Cancelling is strange and requires some patience but is nonetheless good. It helps to listen to your character's skidding sound if you're having trouble timing the cancel, I've found.
• Pivot Ftilts are very easy to perform. Had some trouble with Pivot Fsmash but it just takes practice. Are Pivot Utilt/Dtilt and Pivot Usmash/Dsmash possible? Because I couldn't do them.

Characters:
• Mario - Is combo god. Otherwise he's just the plumber we all know and love and Smash's resident all-arounder.
• Pikachu - I couldn't QAC, but it's supposedly in the game (unless it was removed between the E3 build and the final release). I'll need to check the Pika boards for info. Utilt and Uair are the amazing combo moves they look like they are. I think Fsmash was buffed in this game. Obviously it's range is longer because Pika stretches out more, but I think the knockback is higher too. Nair is still a great gimping move.
• Villager - Couldn't really play him well. A hilarious troll but doesn't mesh well with me at all. That's one main I considered crossed off the list. Super fun, though! :p
• Link - As I said before, I think Link is still pretty sluggish, even if Uair and Dair definitely have less landing lag than Brawl and Melee. For that reason, I'm not too interested in him. He's got a nice set of aerials at least.
• Megaman - My favourite to play in the demo. Also I think he's worse than the other 4 by a noticeable margin. Bummer. Anyway Uair is a godlike move that does heaps of damage (up to 17!), nets easy ceiling KOs, has long range and in general just makes your opponent scared of being above you. Utilt is a powerful KO move that I've KO'd under 100 with. Better than Usmash in both damage and KO power, but has less area of effect and I think longer endlag. Dsmash and Fsmash are probably his other KO moves of choice. Fair's landing lag is too high to justify its low knockback and I can't seem to be able to do a whole one or autocancel it in a shorthop. Same goes for Bair in terms of landing lag, but this move does 1.33 times as much damage (12) as Fair and is just much safer in general from my experience. Learning RAR seems like a good idea for Megaman fans. The "cannon hitbox" seems to only be on Jab and Nair, not Ftilt. In general I found the "Lemon shooters" to be pretty poor. It is nice when you can lock someone with them however. Dtilt has a late hit that does less damage and hits more horizontally. I once tripped someone with Fsmash at 0% lol. Metal Blade is pretty cool. the 8-directional throws allow for some nice trickshots and mindgames. Their damage output is higher if you throw it at the ground and pick it up first and then throw it like an item. Crash Bomb is also cool but the fact that you can shield both the Bomb AND it's explosion makes it hard to get rewarded for using it. Oh yeah if you throw an opponent the Bomb will transfer to you, however if it blows up whilst you're holding an opponent you'll be unharmed. Rush is pretty good, but seems highly gimpable by Cape, FLUDD, the Watering Can and other similar edgeguarding tools. Leaf Shield WOULD be good, in my opinion, if at had longer duration. It only lasts about 3 or 4 seconds, which really isn't enough. It's only real saving grace is that you can still throw items and grab whilst you've got it up. You can apply some pretty unique pressure by Crash Bombing your opponent, shooting a Metal Blade at the floor and picking it up, putting up and throwing a Leaf Shield and then throwing the Metal Blade. The three even combo together if you do it right! Dthrow -> Utilt is a pretty reliable combo at extremely low percents for just getting some "free damage". Dthrow -> SH Fair appears to also work. Fthrow can KO if I recall correctly, Bthrow is a good "get off me" throw and Uthrow is just a worse Dthrow I find. Will need to test Uthrow more.
My overall impression of Megaman is that he's a zoner with outclassed projectiles, which is never a good sign. Maybe his good KO power and heavy weight will make sure his stays a worthy contender.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm having trouble adjusting to the size of the screen, and the controls are a bit weird to me. Probably would prefer the Wii U version but I'm hyped for the 3DS version as well. I just hope I don't wreck my joystick because of this game. 2 weeks! Can't wait to play Robin, Palutena and Shulk.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Glad I'm not alone on the controls. 13 years of GC controller is not easy to break, I felt like a 5 year old playing during the first few matches.

There is also a huge difficulty curve between level 7 and 9 cpu.

But anyway, awesome finally getting a little taste of this game. Megaman was meh for me, maybe it's because the controls. Villiager was ok, probably wont main or even secondary. Not to say they arent fun, just not my style.

Last edited:

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Even if you play two time a day until the demo releases you won't have gone through all 30 uses. It's nothing to worry about unless you're getting the game much past release.
In case you were trying to respond to my post about not being on Smashboards too often, I was joking, saying I'm addicted to the Smash 3DS demo, and am well aware of the uses for the next two weeks.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
There is also a huge difficulty curve between level 7 and 9 cpu.
Those level 9s are BS. The way they dodge and shield pretty much the moment I make an input is really annoying. It lead to some funny moments off stage where I inputed useless aerials/grabs/dodges and the CPU reacted accordingly despite being nowhere near me, but outside of that I already hate their inhuman reaction time.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
This demo is SO HYPE, I was scared because the controls but it's really easy to learn, the Lv. 9 CPU fights are fast paced and playing with every character is really exciting.
Link really improved he still feels kinda slow but his reaction is way better than in Brawl, harder to punish overall and his new dash is a reliable killer when you learn to use its starting hitbox.
Mario is still Good 'Ol all-around plumber, a little bit faster good with combos as usual and his F-Air is back to his old glory; during my first minute of playing I spiked Mega Man with that, he survived and I SD but that was very funny. Can't wait to play as Dr.
Pikachu is a monster with grabs and an annoyance with T. Jolt and Quick Attack, probably the most dangerous character at higher levels because he really knows how to use all of his moveset to punish you.
Mega Man made me a little bit sad because how easily beat him and he is hard to use, but with some time one can use his massive projectile arsenal and close combat move at an unpredictable rate.
Villager is really funny and easy to use but he's prone to recieve early combos, so its good to do some spacing with Side-B projectile to plant a tree. As a CPU he isn't a threat but as a Player you can use his fully potential.

There's a noticeable difficulty jump between Lv. 8 and 9 CPUs, a simple walk in Battlefield can become a fast game of grabbing, shielding and punishing; this is where the practice of dodging and Vectoring becomes significant.

Top Bottom