• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Design a Melee stage

Tazumili

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I was thinking about different stage types that would be good for tournament play, and came up with this.

The thinner platforms you can drop down from. I for one think it'd be quite interesting.

Anyway, let's get these creative juices flowing, Brawl's stage builder has nothing on our creative juices and imagination. Try making something simple in MS paint that'd be interesting for tournament play. Or casual play. Anything really, just explain yourself. Even give it a nice theme. Banjo kazooie or something I don't know.

I think it'd be cool to see what a fellow smasher's input on what an interesting stage would be.

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman

I've drawn the stage and some of it's uses. I think it's a good stage for people good around the ledge :D

Thread has potential IMO

also your stage is backwards corneria hahaha

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
ok basically i tried to make the stage more involved in the match, so i came up with Brinstar Depths 2 in which combatants fight each other over constant lava

and Walljump 4 U Lief inspired by young links btt. walljumping isnt used enough normally and is important to learn good

Tazumili

Smash Cadet
ok basically i tried to make the stage more involved in the match, so i came up with Brinstar Depths 2 in which combatants fight each other over constant lava

and Walljump 4 U Lief inspired by young links btt. walljumping isnt used enough normally and is important to learn good
I lol'd so hard at your lava one

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

My stage is The World of Drawcia, because Smash needs more Kirby stages, ****it. it's basically FD in a sea of Color, but every once in a while, Platforms will be "drawn" into the stage, turning it into a stage similar to Battlefield. so it is like many stages in one.

keeper

Smash Champion
okay so:

<-_____________->

I call it, Smashville.

Tazumili

Smash Cadet
okay so:

<-_____________->

I call it, Smashville.
Hmmm...

FUND IT

Corigames

Smash Hero

A simple stage. A flat plane with the exception of a gap in the middle. While it may look like the gameplay would be similar to FD, I bet the opening in the center would make for interesting approaches, recoveries, and combos that lead to its use.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
What you can't see, are the 12 randalls moving around inside the stage.
whoa, when did non-canadians start calling the cloud randall? O:

I would have liked to have a stage like smashville in melee. Fav<3

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Code:
                                       ____

____
                                                           ___
                                       ____               |   |
                                                          |   |
                         ________________________         |___|
                        /                        |
           ___,,,,,----/                        _|_______________
          |                                                      |

keeper

Smash Champion

A simple stage. A flat plane with the exception of a gap in the middle. While it may look like the gameplay would be similar to FD, I bet the opening in the center would make for interesting approaches, recoveries, and combos that lead to its use.
Get *****, Ness.

whoa, when did non-canadians start calling the cloud randall? O:

I would have liked to have a stage like smashville in melee. Fav<3

I've called him Randall since I knew he had a name. So, about a year.

SDC

Smash Lord
wow this is like nerds gone wild MS paint edition rofl.

anyway, instead of just hatin ima make my own ****ty stage:

the four blocks are possibilities, they would serve as a KO hinderance, or as a means of recovery. only the top middle platform can you drop down through.

Scidadle

Smash Champion

Get this, I call it Final Destination, I think it could be a neutral.

I like it

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Idk I liked this one.

edit: oh man old thread...

giving better pic in that case.

Basically, a platform going horizontally between the two stages. it might be fun for doubles, but it would pretty much eliminate the need for team work at some points. huh.

The platform is just a bit random but it gives an advantage to some characters who are fast enough to use it.

in other words my favorite characters. oh man.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Pokemon stadiums neutral stage is like the best stage in the game. I wish that were a stage by itself

wool

Smash Ace
This would be the coolest stage.

Just disregard my failed attempts at clouds. Also the stage would obviously be a lot wider than it is.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Things about ^ stage.
1) Peach wins
2) Rollout would be awesome
3) Bowser's attack get-up would be interesting
4) Projectile spam from the right hand side would suck to deal with
5) Green Turtle shells O_O
6) Randal tumors in the sky
7) Are the edges even grabbable?

Victawr

Smash Cadet
Something along those lines.

As you can clearly see, it clearly favours Fox. The complete lack of edges makes recovery much more fun and thought about. It would be quite fast paced, with no stalling. Wavedashing, of course, would make you fall through one of the many holes inconveniently placed in random areas. I'm sure you've guessed, but these Randalls are moving at random speeds in random patters, making gameplay much more fun. If you smile like Randall, you get a 10% damage bonus per hit. Camping here is nearly impossible, making it a quite fair game.

I'd say its about as neutral as FD, maybe BF

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
You could easily camp that stage, so it'd be better if it were less wide.

Can peach even pull turnips on a randall?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
This thread is very interesting. I'll think of something eventually.

Green Greens is the most amazing stage ever. It makes me thoroughly ENJOY maining space animals. It's practically an automatic win against players of my skill level, and often results in a win against players slightly better than me. I will admit that it's an exceptionally hard match against another spacie. I've made it my goal to be an absolute monster on that stage. It'll be my equivalent of a top peach taking another player to Mute City and netting themselves pretty much a free win, lawl.

wool

Smash Ace
Things about ^ stage.
1) Peach wins
2) Rollout would be awesome
3) Bowser's attack get-up would be interesting
4) Projectile spam from the right hand side would suck to deal with
5) Green Turtle shells O_O
6) Randal tumors in the sky
7) Are the edges even grabbable?
Edges were meant to be grabbable, I just cant draw.

Agreed with everything else :p

BTW that cloud smiley face one is probably the best so far.

Victawr

Smash Cadet
You could easily camp that stage, so it'd be better if it were less wide.

Can peach even pull turnips on a randall?

No, the clouds are moving all over the place man, you cant camp it. You cant camp Randall, you just cant.

And if I had melee right now, i'd check the peach thing. But in this case she can. Dont be dissing my god**** stage man, I worked ****ing hard on it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
If anything, this shows me what games would be like if people got to do level design whenever they wanted however they wanted.

Scary.
Professional work is so underrated.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion

How about this? :) (except with a flat, even top and flat, even bottom... basically a rectangle lol)

Rat

Smash Lord
edit: Ok let's try this

It wiggles! and there is a hidden platform! ok it's kind of dumb.

and it's a little annoying:

Notes:
1)My intent is for the stage be symmetrical sometimes and asymmetrical other times. Kind of like Yoshi's Story!

2) The slanted sides:
Neutral: The stage would function similar to Yoshi's Story. Scar jumping is possible. Mario should be able to UpB glitch this wall. It extends down to the bottom blast box.
Slanted out: Characters can still wall jump but not land on the wall. This would (hopefully) increase the range Scar jumping, Allow you to DI spikes towards the stage and then tech them.
Slanted in: This would reveal a small platform! Maybe it will create the same emotions as Randal does?! (btw the wall would push you off if it switched positions while you were on it) The distance between the small platform and the stage edge should be enough that the person can land on the stage, the edge, or do some wall jump tricks. Also the slant in makes wall teching spikes impossible.

2b) The timing of moving section of the stage would work like this:
-50 seconds symmetrical
-10 seconds slanted
This would create allow you to know which side will be slanted by looking at the timer. If the decasecond is odd: the stage will slant right. If the decasecond is even: the stage will slant left.

3)On the platform, the angled part, is there to improve WD length of characters. This is similar to the edge on yoshi's story. The downside being that Edge canceling becomes harder, and the phantasm cancel becomes really hard.
3b) It should also make tech chasing on the platform a little bit spicier. Marth can Utilt/Fsmash through the edge, but not through the middle. Are you baller enough to tech towards the edge? (probably not)

4) The width of the stage is 3.5 c falcon DD lengths, which should be slightly bigger/similar size than BF. Hopefully it is enough room to maneuver but not enough that DD camping is super easy like on Dream Land 64.

5) The blastboxes height and width should (hopefully i got the #s right) similar to battlefields.

Top Bottom