• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
This debate is gay

Also marshy that beat sounds like something out of Ferngully. Your rapping more than makes up for it, though

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
@ #HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy

that rap was seriously really great and you've got talent, follow your dream man because i know that's what you wanna do and you've definitely got the drive and skill for it

also using sm64 music as a beat is dope as **** too, can't wait for the sequel

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
@stereotypes: i joke around with stereotypes on occasion but i never buy into them BECAUSE ONLY THE SITH DEAL IN ABSOLUTES

technically yeah you're not supposed to talk about ongoing games but for the record this is why i don't joke around with ethnicity unless i know the other person is cool with it and that they know i mean no harm. even then, satire is stressed, not necessarily the legitimacy of the ethnic punchline

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
since i'm pretty sure nabe isn't trying to oppress the gay agenda, he's in the clear. but if he really is trying to oppress the gay agenda, THEN I GOT YO BACK CIRCUS
i will just go ahead and make clear that i am not trying to oppress "the gay agenda" (whatever that means)

Nabe's initial post is an excellent example of straight privilege. Nabe is a very smart guy. He's not a bigot or anything. But he is a straight dude (as far as I know) and therefor also has the luxury of not really giving a ****. The conversation Gorf and I were having looked unimportant to him, whether it was because he thought Gorf was trolling and therefor none of it mattered (which would be wrong, by the way) or because he thought I was grandstanding or because it just wasn't relavent to his interests, so he felt inclined to try to deflect the conversation elsewhere, while making a gay joke (something I don't fault him for as a general rule; it's just ironic in context, and further highlights the problem I'm getting at).

This is a problem because it plays into the larger theme of gay visibility. One of the hardest things to battle about any kind of oppression, but most especially in the LGBT community, is oppression from people who don't realize they're being oppressive. They're not even trying to do it, so they don't see the problem. Steering the conversation in a new direction when I'm trying to make a point is a way of insisting that what I'm saying is not important, and can be ignored. Nabe's desire to read a more comfortable conversation, in his mind, trumped whatever reason I may have had to be saying what I was saying. To be clear, I don't think Nabe did this with even a hint of malice. In fact, that'll be a big theme here. I don't think any of the people in this conversation are secret raging bigots. They're just not aware of how their privilege can covertly, negatively effect other people.
hi

The conversation you and Gorf were having didn't look unimportant at all, it looked (and is) extremely important. The reason I so clearly and purposefully avoided addressing it is because I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't trying to shelve it or shunt it to the side by making an unrelated post. It has nothing to do with any cultural privilege. I didn't get a chance to comment on marshy meeting Ran prior to your conversation starting, and wanted to get something in. It's true that I had no desire to take part in your discussion, and that's not because of the subject matter, but rather because I felt there was nothing to be added by me, and lots of happiness to be saved in my day by not inserting myself in the line of fire.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe Straight privilege works on a subconscious level. Even if you had no intention of getting involved, you unwittingly deterred the conversation due to how you were influenced by a pro-hetero society. Because you can never exist outside the vacuum of social influence, you can't avoid making decisions that take into consideration social norms between straights and gays. Your joke can be considered to touch upon this because we expect that marshy and Ranmaru are meeting under friendly circumstances.

However, the joke is in the fact that there is an ulterior motive that Ranmaru is interested in marshy which is why he's visiting him. The fact that this is the punch line is likely what Circus is referring to when he mentions that you are unknowingly painting homosexuality as abnormal because the normal course of their meet up would be for just two bros to hang out. The fact that the punch line is the idea of one of them being romantically interested is a punch line is because we don't consider that as a likely possibility because of how we've been influenced to think.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't think you can call it straight privilege to be posting about something other than the currently controversial topic in a social thread.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Honestly Circus, I thought "Man I kinda wished I didn't post about marshy and me in the middle of this, because I'd want more talk about marshy and me." So I agree with Nabe. I mean, being straight myself I don't feel too interested in participating in this conversation as I feel I wouldn't have much to contribute, because I was too lazy in observing Gorf's original issue with it. You could say that I was more interested in marshy meeting ran talk before even thinking about this at all, even though it might plague you all the time.

Sure it means that I prolly have more straight privledge and am 'ignoring' something that you might care more about simply because I'm not experiencing the problems you might be. It's something I want to look into because I do think it is important that I do, it's just I"m too ****in' lazy at the moment.

Finally if this means that me being straight and not really being too interested in looking into a problem that really isn't mine is straight privledge, at least I acknowledge it. What else can I do? (besides actually giving my actual piece, which I might eventually do sometime)

I do think you should post more about it tho because we should try to understand each other more, especially since you dgames. We are bros. I wouldn't want you to feel like an outlier and distance yourself from us cuz of this.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
i will just go ahead and make clear that i am not trying to oppress "the gay agenda" (whatever that means)
i looked it up just now to be sure. apparently some christian conservative groups use the expression in a rather inappropriate and disparaging manner while other groups use the expression to actually exemplify what gay activists are trying to achieve (social and federal equality). but since there is a discrepancy upon interpretation, i will refrain from using the expression henceforth, but i definitely meant the latter and not the former. LOL

BarDulL

Town Vampire
@ #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe Straight privilege works on a subconscious level. Even if you had no intention of getting involved, you unwittingly deterred the conversation due to how you were influenced by a pro-hetero society. Because you can never exist outside the vacuum of social influence, you can't avoid making decisions that take into consideration social norms between straights and gays. Your joke can be considered to touch upon this because we expect that marshy and Ranmaru are meeting under friendly circumstances.

However, the joke is in the fact that there is an ulterior motive that Ranmaru is interested in marshy which is why he's visiting him. The fact that this is the punch line is likely what Circus is referring to when he mentions that you are unknowingly painting homosexuality as abnormal because the normal course of their meet up would be for just two bros to hang out. The fact that the punch line is the idea of one of them being romantically interested is a punch line is because we don't consider that as a likely possibility because of how we've been influenced to think.
i don't think it's fair to say that nabe 'unknowingly painted it abnormal' if we are to presume that nabe believes with certainty that marshy and ranmaru aren't going to be hitting the bed sheets. i mean, since we all know each other pretty well for the most part, i think it's safe to say that nabe knows (and knows that we know) that a relationship between ranmaru and marshy occurring would be quite the twist. i don't feel that this in turn is an example of straight privilege. you COULD argue that nabe messing around with homo erotica in other instances is an example of straight privilege though. but we all know he's just messing around and he isn't being intentionally demeaning. in fact it's really only demeaning if you interpret it that way, sorta like racist jokes

as an aside, i looked up that will arnett/conan thing. i really do think that joking around with homosexuality is healthy for society so long as it isn't demeaning in the sense that people will just become desensitized to homosexuality after a while if they haven't already. http://teamcoco.com/video/will-arnett-will-arnett-love

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste

thank you for the psych eval
But I am 100% sure that my own sexuality (and socially-influenced mindset therein) didn't subconsciously affect my very conscious decision to make it clear that I was not making any attempt (or unwitting misstep) to deter the conversation with my single comment on the prior cool meetup, as people do on the internet when they have a single collective place to talk.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
i think joking around with no hetero is a great way to desensitize people to no hetero, in a way (ex: will ferrell, or recently will arnett on conan). like, today my friend and i were playing on netplay, and he's super homo (has a boyfriend, loves the dong, yadda yadda). i camped him as sheik really hard and he was like "you are even more lame than okami. i didn't think this was possible" to which i responded "you think YOU'RE gay? I'M THE GAYEST PLAYER EVER!" hue hue hue hue. but he knows that i'm pretty liberal when it comes to LBGT rights, and we're bros enough to the point where it's chill to be a **** on occasion so long as it isn't excessive. anyway, since i'm pretty sure nabe isn't trying to oppress the gay agenda, he's in the clear. but if he really is trying to oppress the gay agenda, THEN I GOT YO BACK CIRCUS

i agree with xonar that people who excessively flaunt anything about themselves are distracting and tend to be bothersome, but i don't think flaunting in a distracting manner specifically correlates with gays since anyone is capable of doing such a thing, so hopefully people in the netherlands aren't lumping gays together as a flaunting bunch.

circus, i don't think it's homophobic for gorf to say it feels weird that he is watching 2 dudes kiss right from the get go; public displays of affection have the tendency to make people feel awkward and look away (come on didn't you watch captain america: winter soldier?). hopefully gorf isn't actually homophobic tho cause that'd be kinda lame.

impartially yours,
bardull

p.s. ya'll stole the hype from marshy's rap vid, except i'm actually ok with that since i wasn't included in it Kappa

I'm guessing you haven't read this entire exchange, based on what I see here. It may be best for everyone that you don't, or else this may never end, but I think I've covered a lot of what you're saying here and why it's...well, wrong.

hi

The conversation you and Gorf were having didn't look unimportant at all, it looked (and is) extremely important. The reason I so clearly and purposefully avoided addressing it is because I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't trying to shelve it or shunt it to the side by making an unrelated post. It has nothing to do with any cultural privilege. I didn't get a chance to comment on marshy meeting Ran prior to your conversation starting, and wanted to get something in. It's true that I had no desire to take part in your discussion, and that's not because of the subject matter, but rather because I felt there was nothing to be added by me, and lots of happiness to be saved in my day by not inserting myself in the line of fire.
This is hard for me to believe since the next post you made involved you explaining that you basically wouldn't be offended by a hypothetical "No Homo" hydra being made, bizarro-mirroring your No Hetero account (irrelevant to the points at hand), followed by you telling me to "ignore Gorf for once." To me, that very much suggests that you think the conversation I was having with Gorf was not worth having.

I can appreciate the fact that you didn't have anything to add to the conversation. And I can also appreciate that this thread is multi-purpose and topics shift very fluidly. But saying things like "back to the better topic" and "ignore Gorf for once" pretty clearly indicate a desire to move on completely.

You are a riddle wrapped in an enigma getting day drunk on a porch with Mystery.

I don't think you can call it straight privilege to be posting about something other than the currently controversial topic in a social thread.
I get your point but it's an oversimplification of the issue.

If you walk in on your friends having a heated argument, you don't have to join in the argument (indeed, it's probably best you don't if you don't have a burning point to make), but suggesting a change in topics before things can be hashed out tacitly says that whatever they're fighting about isn't serious enough to see through to the end.

Honestly Circus, I thought "Man I kinda wished I didn't post about marshy and me in the middle of this, because I'd want more talk about marshy and me." So I agree with Nabe. I mean, being straight myself I don't feel too interested in participating in this conversation as I feel I wouldn't have much to contribute, because I was too lazy in observing Gorf's original issue with it. You could say that I was more interested in marshy meeting ran talk before even thinking about this at all, even though it might plague you all the time.

Sure it means that I prolly have more straight privledge and am 'ignoring' something that you might care more about simply because I'm not experiencing the problems you might be. It's something I want to look into because I do think it is important that I do, it's just I"m too ****in' lazy at the moment.

Finally if this means that me being straight and not really being too interested in looking into a problem that really isn't mine is straight privledge, at least I acknowledge it. What else can I do? (besides actually giving my actual piece, which I might eventually do sometime)

I do think you should post more about it tho because we should try to understand each other more, especially since you dgames. We are bros. I wouldn't want you to feel like an outlier and distance yourself from us cuz of this.
I appreciate you saying that, but despite my recent posts, I really don't have much interest in becoming dGames resident thought police (doesn't mean I won't speak up again when I feel the need; I absolutely will). The best thing you can do other than acknowledging privilege is at least recognizing that when someone else calls you out on it, they aren't doing it for their health, nor to offend you personally (as someone who has been on the receiving end of this multiple times, I can vouch that this can be hard to do). If you have a legitimate problem with it, still say something. As frustrated as I am that so many people got defensive with me over the course of this whole thing, I am glad that they spoke up if that's the way they really felt. Otherwise it really would just be like talking to a wall.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Oh, and I am sorry this distracted from your video, Marshy. That KevinM part did indeed go hard.

BarDulL

Town Vampire

I'm guessing you haven't read this entire exchange, based on what I see here. It may be best for everyone that you don't, or else this may never end, but I think I've covered a lot of what you're saying here and why it's...well, wrong.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If you walk in on your friends having a heated argument, you don't have to join in the argument (indeed, it's probably best you don't if you don't have a burning point to make), but suggesting a change in topics before things can be hashed out tacitly says that whatever they're fighting about isn't serious enough to see through to the end.
??????

July

Smash Apprentice
I just want to add something to the conversation about "straight privilege" and how it manifests in societal interactions and institutions. One of the most common forms of straight privilege manifests in discussions about significant others. Let's say that one girl asks another girl if she has a boyfriend; the person asking the question may not realize it, but they have just phrased the question from a straight perspective and with the assumption that straight is the default setting for the person she is talking to. This interaction in and of itself reinforces heteronormativity in society, which is already an issue. But now let's imagine that this same conversation happens between the girl and her main health care provider. This question assumes that the girl is straight, and now it is the job of the patient to correct the doctor and ensure that they receive culturally appropriate health care, which should not be the case. LGBT youths may not receive the sexual education or health care they need because schools and medical institutions mostly provide services from a heternormative perspective.

I also recently wrote a paper on housing programs for homeless youths in San Francisco and how they utterly fail to provide safety and security for LGBT youths. One of the most common issues is the use of shared shower facilities in housing programs, which leads to high incidences of physical and sexual assault against transgendered individuals. Similar issues arise in foster care where LGBT youths are taen from an abusive or contentious family situation and rehomed to a foster family that also doesn't approve of their sexual orientation or gender identity, frequently resulting in continued emotional or physical abuse or neglect. There is the misconception that simply allowing equal access to institutions (aka not banning LGBT youths from housing programs or the foster care system) means that people are receiving adequate and appropriate services and that is very much not the case.

EDIT: I just realized I didn't finish connection the dots here, but if you are straight, it means that mainstream institutions and services are already built with your needs in mind which reflects straight privilege.

Last edited:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
You are a riddle wrapped in an enigma getting day drunk on a porch with Mystery.
Circus said:
Nabe's initial post is an excellent example of straight privilege. Nabe is a very smart guy. He's not a bigot or anything. But he is a straight dude (as far as I know)... This [straight privilege] is a problem because it plays into the larger theme of gay visibility. One of the hardest things to battle about any kind of oppression, but most especially in the LGBT community, is oppression from people who don't realize they're being oppressive. They're not even trying to do it, so they don't see the problem.
I have a better gist of what you are getting at. Understanding wasn't some euphemism I was using to mock you. I don't agree with many things you said, but I want to try to develop a complete understanding of your point of view before I decide how I feel about your core beliefs.

Last edited:

Ashemu

Smash Ace
Let's say that one girl asks another girl if she has a boyfriend; the person asking the question may not realize it, but they have just phrased the question from a straight perspective and with the assumption that straight is the default setting for the person she is talking to. This interaction in and of itself reinforces heteronormativity in society, which is already an issue.
what gender-neutral word wuld u use in this situation, "significant other" is a mouthful and im a baby who cant speak more than 2 syllables without crying

(this post isn't intended to be dissenting / condescending btw i genuinely cant think of an easy phrase to use here)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
what gender-neutral word wuld u use in this situation, "significant other" is a mouthful and im a baby who cant speak more than 2 syllables without crying

(this post isn't intended to be dissenting / condescending btw i genuinely cant think of an easy phrase to use here)
partner

Top Bottom