• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

July

Smash Apprentice
hey july, do you live in SF?
I live in Berkeley, but I go to school and intern in San Francisco.

what gender-neutral word wuld u use in this situation, "significant other" is a mouthful and im a baby who cant speak more than 2 syllables without crying

(this post isn't intended to be dissenting / condescending btw i genuinely cant think of an easy phrase to use here)
You could ask "are you seeing anyone?" which would be my go-to phrase, aka what Gova said. I'm a slow typer.

Last edited:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
This is hard for me to believe since the next post you made involved you explaining that you basically wouldn't be offended by a hypothetical "No Homo" hydra being made, bizarro-mirroring your No Hetero account (irrelevant to the points at hand), followed by you telling me to "ignore Gorf for once." To me, that very much suggests that you think the conversation I was having with Gorf was not worth having.

I can appreciate the fact that you didn't have anything to add to the conversation. And I can also appreciate that this thread is multi-purpose and topics shift very fluidly. But saying things like "back to the better topic" and "ignore Gorf for once" pretty clearly indicate a desire to move on completely.
Who in their right minds says "back to the good topic" and means it? I literally stepped in to say that the meet-up was cool, and if there was any displeasure in my tone, it's directed squarely at Gorf, who isn't worth arguing with in mafia much less about real issues he will NEVER EVER grasp from your point of view.

After that original comment, yes, I said to ignore Gorf. I think there's a lot of honour in arguing principles against a brick wall. But I also know that human beings get beat up and chipped away by stress, and I believe they shouldn't put themselves into stressful situations that are guaranteed to be untenable, e.g. any conversation with Gorf on a point he disagrees on, ever. With someone else, the same discussion is valuable. Towards the end you focused on Acrostic and that was more effective and probably less painful. Life is shorter than it seems -- I wouldn't see you waste it on people that are not worth your unique experience and limited time.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
o im being mean with that

dont forget to tell me to look at your sig and what not
Well it does look a lot like you're trying to be mean. I guess maybe you're just trying to make yourself feel better through the medium of being a jerk, but on balance I think you'd probably do better if you just got a hobby or something.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Pretty much keep on telling Xonar to shut up when he needs to shut up. Not only does it help humanity, but it's also an entertaining pastime.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
@ Overswarm Overswarm

I need a full-proof Overswarm Study Guide for Exams because I need to seriously crunch and I'm staying up all night like my life depended on it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well it does look a lot like you're trying to be mean. I guess maybe you're just trying to make yourself feel better through the medium of being a jerk, but on balance I think you'd probably do better if you just got a hobby or something.
If you're still one the lookout for one (I mean, I'd assume so if you have nothing better to do than staying up til 6am to sling half-assed comebacks at a 20 year old kid), at least stay away from gambling because your guesses are horrible.

Pretty much keep on telling Xonar to shut up when he needs to shut up. Not only does it help humanity, but it's also an entertaining pastime.
you're so tsun, baby. you know i like it that way ;)
also its totally weird to see you say xonar over ramses thats been forever wtf

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
@ Overswarm Overswarm

Why is that that when school is over I'm really really lazy and don't even go to the gym without really hyping myself up? I mean whippie summer is here but yea

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
If you're still one the lookout for one (I mean, I'd assume so if you have nothing better to do than staying up til 6am to sling half-***** comebacks at a 20 year old kid), at least stay away from gambling because your guesses are horrible.
How the **** are you 20 years old and your response to 'stop being a jerk' is 'no you'.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
How the **** are you 20 years old and your response to 'stop being a jerk' is 'no you'.
this response makes so much sense
its been a trend that you have trouble considering that other people have a different world view than you

its ok kary i mean the uk is an island i understand your unfortunate circumstances chap

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@ Overswarm Overswarm

I need a full-proof Overswarm Study Guide for Exams because I need to seriously crunch and I'm staying up all night like my life depended on it.
Okay, first of all for essays:

Overswarm Essay Exam Study Guide Tags for searching smashboards later instead of going to page 760 something or whatever

Writing papers is easy. Coming from an English major who had 5 ENG 300+ classes in a semester where every professor said "I'm gonna make it easy on you and just give you an essay instead of a test, due the week BEFORE exams, this'll give you time to study for your other classes":

Find the point of your article before you even start writing and make it creepy specific. By creepy specific I mean if your paper was a girl saying "what do you like about me" your response would be "I like how you have an odd number of freckles and when you laugh the laughter comes out in bursts that align with the Fibonacci sequence".

Example argument: Adventure Time is an exaggerated telling of the extended adolescence in males in the 21st century

Then you figure out how many pages it needs to be. For brevity's sake, I'll say 5 pages. Write 5 major points and be incredibly non-specific with them, like cave-man talk. They'll get more specific as you write, then just go back. Do them in any order.

1. overblown reactions to stuff
2. ever-changing conflicted and irrational desires
3. constantly attempting to make a difference elsewhere but not with themselves
4. laziness and shirking of responsibility except when it comes to personal gain in the form of positive attention; i.e., looking for approval as a reward system
5. symbolism in the fighting of the ice king, who is elderly and represents both the futility of their own efforts as well as the antagonistic perspective of the adult male against the extended adolescent

Rearrange them in an order that segues well.

Then write four to five sentences for each point. You won't need this many, but do it anyway.

Start your paper. If you don't know a starting line, use one of these:

1. It is often said that...
2. In (whatever you're talking about), (thesis statement)
3. When (one, a person, etc.) attempts to understand (subject of thesis), there are a few key questions waiting for (them, him, us, etc.): (abstract statement of thesis)
4. (name of famous person) has said (quote) (and I'm inclined to agree/ but I'm forced to disagree)
5. When researching (thesis statement), I have discovered that (what you discovered)

Those 5 can fit most papers and you can generally use one of each for each class you take; very few have you write more than 5 legit papers.

One you have your opening statement, you expand that into a paragraph or two as best you can. Then you have your 5 key points to your thesis and 4-5 supporting points below them. You now don't have to think at all and instead just fill in the gaps. While writing, use syllable inflation whenever possible. Also, and I highly suggest this, abuse the Oxford comma whenever possible unless you're being graded using the AP handbook. To make your professor subliminally ignore any attempts at artificially extending essays, use alliteration to make the sentence flow better mentally. The brain literally fuzzes over them and processes the main gist, try reading the previous sentence and think about how your brain interprets it.

Turn these sentences:

Finn and Jake symbolize the extended adolescent by their exaggerated reactions to mundane things, such as being given a simple task of carrying tarts across a bridge.

Into these:

Finn the dog and Jake the human are symbolic of the extended adolescent in many ways, but the most telling is clearly illustrated in a common cartoon fashion; mundane and otherwise unremarkable events, such as being given a simple task of carrying tarts across a bridge or sitting in front of a locked prison cell for a short time period, are interpreted as intensely exhilarating experiences by the characters despite the audience being permanently aware of the trite setting being presented to them.

Given that you already have 4-5 sentence per topic in addition to the main point, doing this with each sentence results in about a page for each point. For larger essays, you can expand each individual sentence into a page by using broader examples and examining them more in depth, resulting in the 5 page essay illustrated previously becoming a 25 page essay.

NOW FOR STUDYING FOR ACTUAL EXAMS

So you have an exam. An exam is typically going to do one of two things:

1) Test your knowledge via recall
2) Test your knowledge via explanation

For #2, refer to #1 plus the essay guide posted above.

For #1:

1. Study daily. This should be a thing before Exams hit. Literally an hour a day studying, it doesn't really even matter how, just reading / flash cards / whatever will put you ahead of the pack.

"But OS, I have too many exams! I cannot study that long!"

Then you should have studied sooner and allowed your life to give you more time! You should be studying frequently and on schedule, not "study a lot real fast". The difference between an expert and a regurgitator is that the former deals with his stuff daily over a period of time while the latter deals with it once or twice in a three day span.

2. Ask the professor for study materials or advice on studying if they haven't given it to you.

This is the simplest one. "Is there anything in particular you feel I should focus on when studying, or any previous assignments or readings you think would be especially important?" is awesome. Teachers love that **** and will just hand you exams in a nutshell.

3. Teach someone else.

This should be part of your study routine. You learn MORE by teaching than by studying on your own! You learning about math? Teach someone else how to do it. History? Recall the series of events for someone else in story format. This will internalize the information for you.

4. Study by association.

Memory is created in three ways: Uniqueness, Association, Repetition. That's pretty much it. This is #2, obviously.

If you're studying for a Bio exam and you start studying about horseshoe crabs and their blue blood, whatever you study or do near this will help you remember. You ever listen to a CD and hear track one and then "know" track 2 is coming? Ever get that weird "That isn't right..." feeling when you hear the track on an mp3 player later and track 2 doesn't come? That's your memory via association!

Use this info to your advantage by studying helpful things together. It's unlikely that horseshoe crabs will be followed up by geology, so stick to things that will be on the same exam or same day.

You can help trick your brain by chewing a specific flavor of gum but only when you study. Not only will you get used to studying and thinking of this subject whenever you chew that gum, but you'll also be able to bring it into the exam and your strawberry gum will make you think of horseshoe crabs and get your brain going.

5. Study by Repetition

Reptition is boring but it works. "Oh man I'll never remember this formula". Bull****.

I just typed those random numbers.

I can just type those numbers all day. Those random numbers are suddenly no longer random because I just write 'em down over and over again. JUST DO IT.

"oh man how am I going to remember the distance from Proxima Centauri?!"

Proxima Centauri is about 4.2 light-years away

BAM. Don't copy/paste, type it or write it. Then read it over and over again.

Check this **** out:

Proxima Centauri is about 4.2 light-years away.
    Proxima Centauri is about 4.2 light-years away.

Not even looking at the screen anymore!

Proxima-Centauri is 4.2 light-years away.

That was ****ing easy. I can recall that **** like a mother ****** now, eat it science exam asking for arbtirary information that could otherwise be looked up on a device in most people's pockets.

Repetition is boring but it works.

JUST DO IT.

6. Study via uniqueness

This one can be as easy or hard as you want. I personally have (unfortunately) memorized anything involving numbers by replacing each number (0 - 9) with a non-vowel phonetic sound. As an example, 5 is "L" and I imagine a policeman with a 5 pointed badge riding a unicycle. The L is for Law! That's the peg word. 0 is S (Shoes filled with cherry jelly!) and 7 is K or hard C, the 'kuh' sound (a Cow sinking in quicksand)

Man that's unique. Easy to visualize and remember. How's that useful?

LSK

Hey, I didn't use vowels. That means I can ignore them later!

LaSiK

hey, 507 stands for LaSiK, like the eye laser surgery thingamabob. Sure is a good thing that 507 is the combination to a lock I need to use that I can now never forget.

The downside to this is that learning by uniqueness is near permanent.

A dog in a banana suit is sitting on a cloud, he looks down and see a cat eating donuts out of a can. The cat looks through the window and sees a Projector on a chair showing a picture of a turtle. In the corner by the door there's a filing cabinet with a white t-shirt, American flag, and radio playing the star spangled banner. Outside the door in the hall there's an open locker with a purse and a building inside.

I learned that paragraph on the fly in 2008. It's been six years and I cannot forget it no matter what because I visualized it. I had my students give me sets of three words (because people memorize easiest in threes) and then I created this visual "story" for it.

Proxima Centauri was spinning around and doing it's own thing when it threw a baseball at Earth. The baseball was 4.2 light years away so it had a lot of time to think about how horrible of a father it was, since it abandoned its children to go on this vacation. 4.2 light years is a pretty long distance, and he wondered if his mistress on Proxima Centauri would still be young when he got back.

Ta-da. I bet every person who read this now knows that Proxima Centauri is 4.2 light years from Earth and you don't even know what that is.

This is the easiest way to learn via uniqueness:

Turn it into a story and visualize the elements, preferably in an environment you know. You have to remember that John Wilkes Booth shot Abraham Lincoln in the theater? Turn it into a story and visualize it. Tell the story to someone else, then repeat it. Associate it with a certain phrase to make it come to you easier.

"So I was all set to see this play and the ****ing president of the united states, Abraham Lincoln at the time, decides to go to the theater. It took two hours to get through all the foot traffic. There wasn't much security at the time, that's a more recent invention. Abraham Lincoln laughed like a chainsaw underwater and slapped both of his knees whenever anyone on stage said anything and this theater junkie called John Wilkes Booth just couldn't take it. He actually LEFT THE THEATER, bought a gun, came back, and went and shot Abraham Lincoln. He then slapped both of his knees and kept saying "I'm the ****ing president hardy hardy har" then he jumped off the balcony and broke one of his legs like an idiot. So Abraham Lincoln died pretty fast after the bullet in the head and John Wilkes Booth didn't even get to see the show, but in the end the real loser is me because that's how I spent my Saturday night."

Ta-da, it's a story you can memorize, tell with a flow, and embellish to make it easier to remember.

7. Apply it in the real world if possible

This ones pretty simple. "Oh man I won't use algebra" means "Use algebra, you idiot". Give yourself random problems and do them. Get into historical debates. Discuss the biological implications of horseshoe crab blood. Discuss the applications of cold plasma and how to properly ionize the gas without creating excess heat.

8. Talk to people who already took it

No brainer, but this is an easy thing to do. Stop by a class that takes its exam earlier (the exam schedule is online typically) and just ask them. "Hey, what's on the exam I should study for?" It's the easiest thing in the world, just wait outside the door and get the first guy or two to walk out to explain it to you.

9. Actually learn the material

If you have to study it means you haven't learned it yet and you should have been studying in the first place. Do that as a habit.

10. Cram.

Cramming works, but you won't remember it afterwards. Just devote the last day or two to cramming nonstop with no distractions. Take frequent 5 minute breaks then quiz yourself after the breaks.

So geniuses, how many light years away is Proxima Centauri from Earth?

What color is horseshoe crab blood?

Who shot Abraham Lincoln?

How did the person who shot Abe break his leg?

Did you memorize it? I BET YOU DID AND YOU WILL NOT FORGET BECAUSE I SUBLIMINALLY APPLIED MY STUDY PRINCIPLES TO THIS VERY POST.

</mindblown>

So there you go, study for exams and get the hell off smashboards

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@ Overswarm Overswarm

Why is that that when school is over I'm really really lazy and don't even go to the gym without really hyping myself up? I mean whippie summer is here but yea
Humans are creatures of habit and association. Your habits and associations are broken and you have to start them again. It sucks, but you gotta.

Want to motivate yourself? Start.

That's all it takes. Start, then do it again the next day, then again the next day. No "I take a break on saturdays". You do it every day and after 3 or 4 days it becomes a part of you.

Have trouble staying motivated? Get distracted?

Print off a year-long calendar on one page, get a red marker, and write the name of the thing you want to do. "Gym". "Guitar". "Other G words". If you do it for an appropriate amount of time (hour, half hour, whatever you want), cross that day off on the calendar.

Don't break the chain.

Handorin

Smash Hero
OS speaks the truth. I used to think I was ok at math, or not great. I used to think, how did that guy do that in his head. Then I started using math and tried doing it in my head (usually in class cause I was too lazy to get out a pencil or calculator or whatever), and now I'm pretty good. I try to take the problem and turn it into simple math I can do in my head, and then it all works out. Basically I turned a hate of math into something I almost thrive off of.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
i am also moving to norcal, specifically for school in sonoma (30-40 minutes from napa valley). if i have time then i will definitely give @ July July @ #HBC | Mac #HBC | Mac a visit. dgames partay >:D

Last edited:

Handorin

Smash Hero
Mashups? Rock Sugar is awesome. (Except real unlike normal lame mashups)

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Mashups?

The original was removed, so this is the instrumental. Original is on his tumblr which is linked.

Also that. Same story with regards to the Tumblr.

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
man. and i thought moira was enough of a shameless ripoff of my hydra

just kiddin soup. gorf knows ive got ****** takin loans out the swag bank on the daily

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
@ ranmaru ranmaru Don't work out every day, you need days of break to get the most out of your work outs. Do it 3-5 times a week, 5 at most. You need to give your body a break or it can't recooperate.

Working out 7 days a week is bad for your body and in turn doesn't help you get the most out of those days.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Mashups? Rock Sugar is awesome. (Except real unlike normal lame mashups)
This one was awesome indeed, never heard of rock sugar before!

Mashups?

The original was removed, so this is the instrumental. Original is on his tumblr which is linked.
Oh man I remembr hearing the original in tumblr way back and found it great, but was never able to find the original post again, gonna bookmark it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@ ranmaru ranmaru Don't work out every day, you need days of break to get the most out of your work outs. Do it 3-5 times a week, 5 at most. You need to give your body a break or it can't recooperate.

Working out 7 days a week is bad for your body and in turn doesn't help you get the most out of those days.
This isn't entirely true but is good advice. You just need to give your body time to heal any injuries it sustains to promote muscle growth and prevent injury. Most people do things like "arm day, leg day, back, etc." to kind of work around it without having to really figure out whether or not they need the rest. Doing any sort of high-rep low-weight exercises typically means you don't need to rest inbetween days; this is especially true for things like cardio, which should be done daily.

Top Bottom