• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Honestly this is the first time in my life where I could say I am "stressed" in any capacity, but it'll slow down after August is over and work slows down.

The only advice I have is to enjoy doing well at everything and to not consider the inability to do something (like play a video game) a punishment.

I wake up around 7, get back home from work around 5, take my puppy out, work on one of three or four projects, then either play Splatoon (Wednesdays), do something with wife/family like watch a show on Netflix, then cover responsibilities (chores, studying, learning new programs), then go back to a project I didn't work on earlier before and/or play CS:GO or Witcher 3. That's basically my day Monday-Friday. Saturdays I wake up when I wake up, sit at computer, open up a project, then work on it until 5 or 6 with as few interruptions as possible, then I eat, then I do something with wife or learn to oil paint better. Sundays I wake up a bit later than on Saturday, spend time with wife for short while before she leaves with the puppy to visit her parents, then I work on Spiff Spacely Saves the Universe if I haven't already and have my weekly meeting with the Frozen Walrus team until 4 p.m. or so. Then I begin working on the outline for a game design Youtube channel and/or create tools to help some of my friends learn game design (large file). Then I open up one of my projects and finish more objectives and/or play CS:GO or Witcher 3 or Splatoon and then stop when my wife gets home.

It is awful scheduling fun, but seeing actual progress with things is a huge benefit. In one project my partner and I have a basic board game movement set up, in another I have a two-player 2D puzzle platformer with some neat puzzle mechanics relating to color with a full menu and level select and a few levels built and it actually has animations and sound effects, in another I have a full 3D environment with no gameplay elements but it looks the way I want it to look, in Spiff Spacely I see our stories getting better and our art assets are getting more and more awesome. I see myself slowly learning to paint (never having done much artistic in my life), I surprise myself when I sit down with Unity because I actually know how to program to a certain extent now and things just happen when I open up MonoDevelop. Without having all of this stuff on my plate every week I wouldn't be learning anything I could build on, so it'd feel like wasted time.

That said when my Master's starts it's going to screw up my schedule >_>

My Death Note game isn't a huge game and it involves money. Like IRL money. It's all funneled into one pot via Paypal or Amazon gift cards or the like, then used as fake currency within the game, then at the end spread back out. There's obviously more to it than that, but the handling of IRL money is a big factor. Actual paper trails and motivation.
Want a comod? My I'd rather enjoy laughing at the playerlist behind the scenes as they muddle through your crazy game game again and having somebody else to do votecounts and such as well would probably help a lot with being able to make time for it.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
>open email

sender: PROTOMEN
subject: It's Time.

also, I really enjoy still being on a mailing list of all things. It's so old-fashioned lmao.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
1.) Don't talk about ongoing games, especially if you're saying things that could be interpreted as a commentary on what to expect in the set-up.

2.) What? I think you missed the co-host.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Let me be clear that I don't know the setup and am only referencing to the fact that it exists and publicly available info suggests a similar setup philosophy. Nothing more. I do not believe that's a violation.

Also is OS officially a comod? All I saw was that the ruleset was stolen but senility might be setting in.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Honestly this is the first time in my life where I could say I am "stressed" in any capacity, but it'll slow down after August is over and work slows down.

The only advice I have is to enjoy doing well at everything and to not consider the inability to do something (like play a video game) a punishment.

I wake up around 7, get back home from work around 5, take my puppy out, work on one of three or four projects, then either play Splatoon (Wednesdays), do something with wife/family like watch a show on Netflix, then cover responsibilities (chores, studying, learning new programs), then go back to a project I didn't work on earlier before and/or play CS:GO or Witcher 3. That's basically my day Monday-Friday. Saturdays I wake up when I wake up, sit at computer, open up a project, then work on it until 5 or 6 with as few interruptions as possible, then I eat, then I do something with wife or learn to oil paint better. Sundays I wake up a bit later than on Saturday, spend time with wife for short while before she leaves with the puppy to visit her parents, then I work on Spiff Spacely Saves the Universe if I haven't already and have my weekly meeting with the Frozen Walrus team until 4 p.m. or so. Then I begin working on the outline for a game design Youtube channel and/or create tools to help some of my friends learn game design (large file). Then I open up one of my projects and finish more objectives and/or play CS:GO or Witcher 3 or Splatoon and then stop when my wife gets home.

It is awful scheduling fun, but seeing actual progress with things is a huge benefit. In one project my partner and I have a basic board game movement set up, in another I have a two-player 2D puzzle platformer with some neat puzzle mechanics relating to color with a full menu and level select and a few levels built and it actually has animations and sound effects, in another I have a full 3D environment with no gameplay elements but it looks the way I want it to look, in Spiff Spacely I see our stories getting better and our art assets are getting more and more awesome. I see myself slowly learning to paint (never having done much artistic in my life), I surprise myself when I sit down with Unity because I actually know how to program to a certain extent now and things just happen when I open up MonoDevelop. Without having all of this stuff on my plate every week I wouldn't be learning anything I could build on, so it'd feel like wasted time.

That said when my Master's starts it's going to screw up my schedule >_>

My Death Note game isn't a huge game and it involves money. Like IRL money. It's all funneled into one pot via Paypal or Amazon gift cards or the like, then used as fake currency within the game, then at the end spread back out. There's obviously more to it than that, but the handling of IRL money is a big factor. Actual paper trails and motivation.
Sounds really hard. :(

Still you are living what I do wish my life would be right now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS is a nerd
I bought a house and then covered it in perler beads melted in the shape of video game characters

so yeah

Sounds really hard. :(

Still you are living what I do wish my life would be right now.
Yeah. I haven't got to a point where I'm like "well, that's it. Time to turn the engines off" yet. Masters, maybe post-masters. Hopefully.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
@ Overswarm Overswarm Are you traveling to anything interesting this year? I would like to see you again. I enjoy talking with you.

I am pretty much the epitome of the "Hold your nose and jump" philosophy. Aside from BSL, you are the other main person I'd point at in DGames that sees something he wants to do and makes a way to go do it. You generally seem to have far better planned your route to said goals I see you reach for though. I really admire that.

Keep at it. You could send up on the cover of Time Magazine. Do something important enough to be on the front page of the newspaper and your life could be interesting enough to be man of the year.

Putting aside random commentary on my perception of a man I've had the pleasure of talking to face to face only twice, what have you wanted to do that you HAVEN'T been able to get done? Preferably not because it is simply a work in progress.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@ Overswarm Overswarm Are you traveling to anything interesting this year? I would like to see you again. I enjoy talking with you.

I am pretty much the epitome of the "Hold your nose and jump" philosophy. Aside from BSL, you are the other main person I'd point at in DGames that sees something he wants to do and makes a way to go do it. You generally seem to have far better planned your route to said goals I see you reach for though. I really admire that.

Keep at it. You could send up on the cover of Time Magazine. Do something important enough to be on the front page of the newspaper and your life could be interesting enough to be man of the year.

Putting aside random commentary on my perception of a man I've had the pleasure of talking to face to face only twice, what have you wanted to do that you HAVEN'T been able to get done? Preferably not because it is simply a work in progress.
I already was Time's man of the year.

I'm not really travelling at all for smash anymore -- the toss-up between customs being on/off and stage lists being trimmed down to nothing in some areas and the areas it wasn't having inconsistent stage lists.... not worth my time. I made more money playing poker than smash and didn't have time to practice anyway. I might play at a tournament here or there if I happen to be in the area, but for the most part I'm done with smash for now.

As for things I'd like to have done that I haven't been able to do.... all of those are works in progress or things I rightly abandoned. I can't really think of anything I'm not at least starting on. I've thought about starting my own business, but haven't really known what kind of business that would be. I've wanted to release a video game or two on steam, but haven't really gotten to that point in any of my projects yet.

I'm trying really hard to think of something that I haven't started in some capacity that I want to achieve, but I got nothin.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I already was Time's man of the year.

I'm not really travelling at all for smash anymore -- the toss-up between customs being on/off and stage lists being trimmed down to nothing in some areas and the areas it wasn't having inconsistent stage lists.... not worth my time. I made more money playing poker than smash and didn't have time to practice anyway. I might play at a tournament here or there if I happen to be in the area, but for the most part I'm done with smash for now.

As for things I'd like to have done that I haven't been able to do.... all of those are works in progress or things I rightly abandoned. I can't really think of anything I'm not at least starting on. I've thought about starting my own business, but haven't really known what kind of business that would be. I've wanted to release a video game or two on steam, but haven't really gotten to that point in any of my projects yet.

I'm trying really hard to think of something that I haven't started in some capacity that I want to achieve, but I got nothin.
Travel for fun if ya got free time to meet us!

But if not guess the opposite could occur, going to the midwest.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Man I don't drive an hour for smash events. I'll probably only attend if they're at my house.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I wonder why? That's standard. SideB a lot into USmash Fair.

I once had a Jiggz' miss a rest in doubles right as her teammate died playing against me and my partner. We were Fox/Doc. 0-120%. RIP.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I wonder why? That's standard. SideB a lot into USmash Fair.
Hey, don't tell this to me, tell this to GRsmash for finding it to be good enough to put in their combo video! A lot of people don't seem to think it's a standard punish, you're gonna have to show the world how it is. :seuss:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I keep forgetting there's mafia over here in this side of Smashboards.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Spent a few minutes looking at older games

playing as Maximum Carnage with Ryker in FFTactics, a game I made the original version of, was fun and apparently we got voted less than three times

playing Liar Game and bodying that game as town despite having a huge town disadvantage was awesome

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Pokemon GO looks pretty cool :D
I'm just kinda worried my expectations are too high! It's the kind of thing I've wanted for a really long time, and I'm kinda worried it will suck compared to what I dream it will be like.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
With the way new games have been approaching, gotta let people know the intent to host in the social or something. Otherwise things like this occur.

Mine is the mini so that's it's own category. Full-style games though, meh.

Edit: I'll come up with a solution.
Transplanting to Social.

The original intent was to let natural selection be the decider and for threads to be opened (even when hosts were waiting for other things to end). We're just not opening threads, lol.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Then why not just open your game thread then? I'm not seeing the problem really haha. Help me understand what's stopping you.

Top Bottom