• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Brawl Kill Melee?

TipZ

Smash Apprentice
Right now Melee depends on the people still for it. That means hosting tourneys and getting everyone, even those playing brawl to join the action.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Right now Melee depends on the people still for it. That means hosting tourneys and getting everyone, even those playing brawl to join the action.
Thats what every smash game and fighting game ever depended on.

N355

Smash Apprentice
What many people don't like is obviously lack of wavedash, l canceling, and double jump cancel. And of course lets not forget that brawl is slow compared to melee. Melee definately had more combo potential as well. I contemplated going back to melee and quitting brawl but decided against it, since I wasn't extremely skilled at melee. I do agree that Brawl killed the pros. I have played people that put up a better fight than some of the pros I played in brawl. I don't think it is fair to the pros that they have to start all over and relearn the game. Sometimes I wish brawl didn't come out. But what I really wish is that we got the same pysics of melee and added more characters and stages and of course some of the benefits of brawl such as the backwards ledge grab. Brawl is a dumbed down smash game, but still takes skill. But all in all i believe melee>brawl overall. I think a few years from now sakurai needs to make a new game that gets the best of both worlds. It is a sad situation and needs to be fixed with one more final game, although sadly I doubt that will happen because sakurai was originally planning to stop at melee, and he spent a lot of time on this game. If the fans get together and convey the message that things need to be fixed and a new game needs to be made, maybe they will listen. what have we got to lose?

lismore

Smash Cadet
We should make a parody of The Metal by Tenacious D only involving Melee.
Ha ha, YES!!! I'm on it :p

Seriously though, Melee will only die if we, those who still love and cherish it like the masterpiece it is (and prefer it to Brawl obviously!), let it. May Melee live forever!

Miharu

Smash Hero
What many people don't like is obviously lack of wavedash, l canceling, and double jump cancel.
A typical response. But that's not the real issue; the main problem is that Brawl's innate physics engine and inherent mechanics simply lead to a slower, more boring playstyle to be highly effective/prevalent at the top levels of play.

And of course lets not forget that brawl is slow compared to melee. Melee definately had more combo potential as well. I contemplated going back to melee and quitting brawl but decided against it, since I wasn't extremely skilled at melee. I do agree that Brawl killed the pros. I have played people that put up a better fight than some of the pros I played in brawl. I don't think it is fair to the pros that they have to start all over and relearn the game.
That's not the issue, really. I think more people would be fine with relearning the game if the physics engine didn't blow. And as it stands, the skills of prediction and decision making (and more) still carry over into Brawl.

Sometimes I wish brawl didn't come out. But what I really wish is that we got the same pysics of melee and added more characters and stages and of course some of the benefits of brawl such as the backwards ledge grab. Brawl is a dumbed down smash game, but still takes skill. But all in all i believe melee>brawl overall. I think a few years from now sakurai needs to make a new game that gets the best of both worlds. It is a sad situation and needs to be fixed with one more final game, although sadly I doubt that will happen because sakurai was originally planning to stop at melee, and he spent a lot of time on this game. If the fans get together and convey the message that things need to be fixed and a new game needs to be made, maybe they will listen. what have we got to lose?
Sadly, this won't happen. Brawl's already selling very, very well, due to how it appeals to casuals and casual elitists (more stages, characters, eyecandy in general). Brawl appeals to the masses, and in the end, that's all that really matters for a company whose primary goal is to make money.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
sorry forget something or when they make ssb4 this will happen for brawl
To a much lesser extent. The main reason this is happening for Melee and Brawl is because of Melee's incredible technical depth. Brawl and 64 aren't as technical, I'd say, so they are both missed or going to be missed less.

Terrorking91

Smash Cadet
All my friend play brawl now, I kinda laugh at them. I find melee to be more worthy to play in a tournament then brawl.

Melee FTW, Melee For Ever :)

Sanu

Smash Champion
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, it did.

MAYBE ONE DAY PEOPLE WILL REALIZE.

CS 1.6 > SOURCE
HALO 2 > HALO 3
MELEE > BRAWL

Skillrequirement-wise.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
most people like to say brawl has different skill....right, cause air dodging multiple times hoping your opponent won't hit you is a 'different skill'

Zodiac

Smash Master
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, it did.

MAYBE ONE DAY PEOPLE WILL REALIZE.

CS 1.6 > SOURCE
HALO 2 > HALO 3
MELEE > BRAWL

Skillrequirement-wise.
Disagreed, Brawl cant kill melee, it wont.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
also even if there are no melee tournaments, melee still won't die, there'll be atleast one kid still playing it, even against a cpu, that means the game is still being played, that means the game still ain't dead

Sanu

Smash Champion
Melee being dead refers to the tournamnet scene itself, don't be stupid, lol. The tournaments won't stop, but new people to the community will dribble in while others will splash on out. If you know math, think of it in terms of limits. As time -> infinite, x (amount of people) -> 0. The amount won't reach 0, but it will progressively dwindle down.

Sanu

Smash Champion
No, you have get your facts right, because what you're saying is just opinion. "Melee still won't die." Tell me that 20 years from now, you mindless troll.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
no you anus, melee are picking back up and there's nothing you can do, it's not opinion, it's fact, calling me a troll, what facts do you have, douchebaggerydoughboy

Best101

Smash Ace
Ha ha, YES!!! I'm on it :p

Seriously though, Melee will only die if we, those who still love and cherish it like the masterpiece it is (and prefer it to Brawl obviously!), let it. May Melee live forever!
lol it makes you wonder why Melee wasn't in Masterpieces in Brawl :laugh:

Sanu

Smash Champion
no you anus, melee are picking back up and there's nothing you can do, it's not opinion, it's fact, calling me a troll, what facts do you have, douchebaggerydoughboy
You're just digging yourself a deeper hole, lmao. Credibility--, especially with you resorting to name calling. :dizzy:

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Melee 4 Lyf. Gtfo h8rs. You know it's true. I can only enjoy myself in Brawl by maining Ganondorf. That's how unbelievably lame of a game it is.

Thankfully, i r live in the Atlantic South.

Melee will never die here. Not while I will continue to log on to this website.

TipZ

Smash Apprentice
also even if there are no melee tournaments, melee still won't die, there'll be atleast one kid still playing it, even against a cpu, that means the game is still being played, that means the game still ain't dead
You're really stupid. That means SSB64 isn't dead, and it is. Then you changed your argument to Melee tournaments... Right now I personally believe it could go any way in terms of tournaments. Melee could come back or brawl with survive or both will die.

Top Bottom