• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Did e3 sell you on the WiiU?

Did E3 convince you to get a WiiU?

• Yes

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Already got one

Votes: 174 64.7%

• Total voters

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
I've already got one, but the combination of Mario Kart 8 and the recent E3 onslaught would have pushed me over the edge to get one had I not.

VictoriaYr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-6451-1789
I've been sitting on the Wii U fence for a long time. Then this year I sort of decided that I would buy one so I could play Smash Bros. because I feel like I've been promised online that works and is doable. This E3 really makes me feel more positive about the Wii U. While it will take me some time to save up the money to purchase one, I most certainly will have one by winter.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
True and that is a little disappointing but it's something I can live with. If it were entirely devoid of offline, however, it would show that Nintendo was headed down a path that leaves little room for guys like me, just like their competitors seem to be. The fact that this game has something means that there is still hope.
I dont know if this is the case. I believe Sakurai has said that for the 3DS he wanted to created a single players experince that focused on solo play and customization. If I remember correctly.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I've been sold on it for a while, just haven't had the money to buy any of the new consoles honestly. Smash is my breaking point though. I'll be sure to have one by then.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
tbh, I was severely disappointed with the Wii U...up until now. I think my love for nintendo is finally coming back. The Hype for Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, and smash bros on both systems is too much!

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I bought a Wii-U due to the inevitable Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda U, Mario Party 10, and Wolly World are all extra prizes for my commitment to Nintendo.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I originally bought my Wii U a month after launch and that was for Pikmin 3. But I was glad I did when they announced WWHD. But honestly, up until about MK8 I didn't use my Wii U much at all. I don't even really like using it for netflix because the pad just sits on. But with all these good titles on the horizon, Nintendo, I think, is really gonna start pushing some of those Wii U sales.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sure; Pokken Fighters and Metroid look great. Did you see that new Legend of Zelda Wii U game-play? Fantastic. There were so many great things on display.

I am not sure why e3 wasted so much time on the 3DS games; however. Mario vs. Donkey Kong? Yarn Yoshi? Captain Toad? Mario Maker? That weird camera game? They look like decent hand-held games. I am sure that I will buy them for my 3DS.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Sure; Pokken Fighters and Metroid look great. Did you see that new Legend of Zelda Wii U game-play? Fantastic. There were so many great things on display.

I am not sure why e3 wasted so much time on the 3DS games; however. Mario vs. Donkey Kong? Yarn Yoshi? Captain Toad? Mario Maker? That weird camera game? They look like decent hand-held games. I am sure that I will buy them for my 3DS.
Aren't those all for the WiiU?

Morbi

Scavenger
Aren't those all for the WiiU?
Precisely the point I was trying to convey; glorified mini-games on the Wii U. If I did not already have a Wii U, there is no way this e3 would have convinced me that the Wii U was a worthy console. However, I suppose that is not entirely relevant as Smash is the reason and would be the reason that I purchase the Wii U anyways.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
More than anything, I'm getting one just for the short, blurry footage of Star Fox we got. Love me some space canidae!

Ascended

Smash Ace
I got one in April (Dat Wonderful 101, Dat Nintendo Land, Dat Mario 3D World were calling for me.) This is definitely the year to get one, what with the Mario Kart 8 promotion, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 1+2, and Smash 4, plus 2015 is looking solid with Splatoon, Yoshi, Kirby, XBX, and Zelda on the horizon.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I was sold last year. I didn't get one until the end though, due to money.

Launch had me with Rayman Legends, Bayonetta 2, TW101 & Pikmin 3, but none of them came out until forever later.
That following year, they showed off Yoshi and eventually Super Smash Bros., Xenoblade, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, etc. And oddly enough, one of the things that sold me was New Super Luigi U (derp).

I finally got one because of the Wind Waker bundle & price drop. I didn't even plan to get The Wind Waker HD, since I had the original and don't see a point in buying 'hd ports', but getting it for free with a cheaper Wii U seemed like a no brainer, with what was coming and already out at the time.

Then came the reveal of Hyrule Warriors, and I got my first Fire Emblem (Awakening) so now I was excited for SMTxFE, NES Remix came out, Dr. Luigi...

And then Fatal Frame gets announced? And then everything shown off at E3? And hints of new Star Fox and Metroid? Forget it. My purchase is so justified it's not even funny.

Still needs a new Pokemon game (aside from Rumble U). Whether it's Pokken Fighters, Pokemon Colosseum/XD-styled, Pokemon Stadium/Battle Revolution, or even PokePark (I liked those games, and I think the Gamepad would be AMAZING for a PokePark 3, as well as finally getting to use the stick to move instead of the D-pad).

But yeah, I felt pretty justified before E3, but now I know without a doubt that I made the right choice.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Did e3 sell me on the WiiU?

...Yes. Yes, it did.

I was going to buy it anyway when Sm4sh came out. Just sayin'.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Not yet.
There are some nice games coming but I usually only buy a new Nintendo console when it features my favourite Nintendo series... which is Metroid. Years ago, I bought Metroid Prime 3 Corruption before buying a Wii because I cherished it so hard, lol.
If they announce a new Metroid someday, I'm definitely on the Wii U-buyer boat.
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491
Rejoice, Metroid fans of the world, because a double-dose of Metroid is coming sooner than later!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
True and that is a little disappointing but it's something I can live with. If it were entirely devoid of offline, however, it would show that Nintendo was headed down a path that leaves little room for guys like me, just like their competitors seem to be. The fact that this game has something means that there is still hope.
Them making one game that's online only says nothing about their future.

I can guarantee you that as long as Miyamoto is around, Nintendo won't be doing many online based games.

I'll give you Mario Maker and Mario VS Donkey Kong (though they are supposed to be demonstrations of a new engine Nintendo has developed, called "Nintendo Web Framework", which is supposed to help make things easier for indie Wii U devs, so they kinda had to show it off).

But Yarn Yoshi and Captain Toad are fully featured games that take advantage of Wii U hardware, and Project GUARD was basically a tech demo at this point, as was Giant Robot. Those latter two will probably evolve by the time they come out.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I already had one, and I'm already looking forward to yet to-be-released games.

But I gotta be perfectly honest.

If I wasn't interested in the Wii U before, I can't imagine this E3 changing my mind, the new Zelda is literally the only new game they revealed that looks amazing and exciting, and a single game is hardly enough to gain interest in a console, especially since they barely shown a teaser of it that didn't show much of the game at all. (loving the talk of open world awesomeness, though)

The rest? Got zero interest in Mario Maker. Yoshi looks super cute, but kinda meh as a game in general. I genuinely dislike the new Kirby, didn't really like Canvas Curse, but I can tell that it would work a lot better on 3DS. And Splatoon, though it has a fantastic and really creative concept, becomes completely worthless with no local multiplayer.

I'm loving the new info about the previously announced games, Hyrule Warriors went from "I don't care" to "looks fun, I'd buy it," they instantly sold Bayonetta 2 to me when they said it included the first one, and Smash is looking better than ever. I'm just kinda dissapointed by most of the new announcements.

Last edited:

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
I got a Wii U at launch...
Big Mistake.
(By the way I do like my Wii U and there are some truly great games like DKC:TF, MK8, Pikmin 3, Etc, I just wish that I waited for a price cut so I didn't spend so much money on it)

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Already have one and playing MK8 currently. But man, Hyrule Warriors is totally my next buy. Also can't wait to have enough for Bayonetta 1+2 as well. Too many games are happening this year and the next.

SuperDS64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDS64
3DS FC
1676-3810-3884
Already got one for Mario 3D World. Mario Kart 8 and Smash4 are not just a bonus to that. (Though maybe could have waited a bit to get all 3 when the price dropped).

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
While I knew getting one was an eventuality, I wasn't sure how soon I'd get one. Between E3 being as awesome as it was and Nintendo doing the youtube partnership program, I'm leaning pretty hard on this side.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Already had one myself, but it convinced two of my friends to finally get one with me.

What I find odd is that the Wii U is so widely considered to "lack games", yet my Wii U library dwarfs my Xbox One library. I own three games for Xbox One. I own seven for Wii U, and that's not even counting my Virtual Console or Wii games, since it's backwards compatible. I never understood why the Wii U needed to redeem itself when the other consoles don't exactly have big libraries yet, either.

Still, Splatoon was a wonderful surprise, as was the Bayonetta combo, and I'm really surprised by how much I want Hyrule Warriors now. It's not even a question what my go-to console will be for the foreseeable future.

(Except for the first few weeks after Dragon Age: Inquisition releases. Because Dragon Age. Can't help it.)

D

Deleted member

Nah, I already got one, E3 just made it all the more worthwhile.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Nintendo told me Pikmin 3 was coming to the Wii U.

And I let them gobble up my money on the console's release date.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
Precisely the point I was trying to convey; glorified mini-games on the Wii U. If I did not already have a Wii U, there is no way this e3 would have convinced me that the Wii U was a worthy console. However, I suppose that is not entirely relevant as Smash is the reason and would be the reason that I purchase the Wii U anyways.
I agree that Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Captain Toad are glorified mini-games, but Yoshi's Wooly World and Mario Maker?

I was already sold on the WiiU when Nintendo decided to annouce it so long ago. The when and where was to be decided.

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
I took advantage of the Wind Waker HD bundle and I don't regret it. The gamepad that came with it looks awesome, and my library will continue to grow. And my brother got a PS4 so I'm barely even missing out on anything. Nintendo had a killer e3 though, I've heard some very cynical Nintendo critics say they're leaning towards a Wii U now.

Laserbeamed

Smash Cadet
It sold me on opening the box again for the first time in 18 months.

Am I the only one who is going to skip that Toad game? What the hell did you people see that I did not? :p

Last edited:

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
E3 was a 3 days before my birthday. So as soon as I watched Nintendo at E3, I left to go buy a Wii U. Also I got one because I was jelly how amazing Mario Kart 8 was.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Depending on how Hyrule Warriors turns out, I may get a Wii U just for that game. Looks like so much fun.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Even if you don't want to talk about Zelda U gameplay (what we saw was made using the in game engine), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, and Devil's Third don't look anything like mini-game compilations OR 3DS games (Yoshi's Wooly World looks far beyond anything I've seen on 3DS as well, but I digress.)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nope, but it made me slightly more interested on it.

I might pick one someday to play Splatoon or when they announce a Metroid, as of now PC + 3DS is enough to me.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
Yep but I'm not getting it yet. (I'm not rich!) Next year though... I'll be buying MK8, maybe smash but I'll already have it for my 3DS than. Zelda too, Splatoon and maybe Captain Toad.

Morbi

Scavenger
Even if you don't want to talk about Zelda U gameplay (what we saw was made using the in game engine), Xenoblade Chronicles X, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, and Devil's Third don't look anything like mini-game compilations OR 3DS games (Yoshi's Wooly World looks far beyond anything I've seen on 3DS as well, but I digress.)
I suppose I had forgotten about Legend of Zelda U because there was so very little of it. It would not have been enough to convince me to go out and buy a Wii U though. Perhaps later when they actually decide to market it. Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 were decent; in fact, those were the only games I was really interested in. However, beat-em-ups, or hack and slash games are usually not worth the retail price. They are notoriously lacking in content, even franchises like God of War are criticized for such. I also find it hard to actually count them as they are second party games. You are correct though, they did not look like mini-game compilations, but they do not look like console worthy games either. Nobody cites God of War (or any 3rd person beat-em-up) as a reason to buy a console.

Splatoon... really? I suppose if that interests you, perhaps it is appealing to the Nintendo consumer-base.

I just forgot about X and I never got around to checking out Devil's Third (I must have missed it because they were obsessed with showing off Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and the like).

Either way, everyone else seems to believe that E3 was good enough. So what do I know? I am not an advocate of wasting my money. I will just wait for the quality games to come out. The ones people will be talking about after release. I honestly feel as though people are talking about Splatoon because it was one of the only games shown at E3. I will be surprised and eat crow if that game sells well and retains interest.

Raveks

Smash Rookie
E3 definitely changed my mind on getting a Wii U. I can't wait now! Between the new Zelda games and of course Smash Bros, this was the first E3 in years I've been genuinely excited after watching.
Nintendo sure up'd their game this year with all these new awesome looking titles. Not to mention the Smash Bros invitational was super hype, had a blast watching it with my friends.

All in all , with the recent Wii U releases and the upcoming games this year, I definitely want to get my hands on a Wii U now. :D

Top Bottom