• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did your opinions on Miis change after their reveal?

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I was fairly neutral/disinterested in Miis, but was open to the probability of their inclusion. I knew that if they were in, Sakurai and co. would make them interesting, and that they did. I think they're really fun looking. It'll annoy me, however, if my friends/online opponents only use Miis (but then again, my best friend practically only uses Fox and it pisses me off to no end).

As for the competitive scene, didn't Sakurai say that custom moves were only for playing with friends? Thus, Miis will only be playable with friends?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
They take 1 spot.
Oh. I thought they took up three separate slots for the three separate types of Miis. My bad.
First off, we don't know how they'll be represented on the character select screen. It would seem a hassle to have to select your actual fighter by cycling through alternate costumes or whatever... Unless it's done like picking your starting Pokemon for Pokemon Trainer.

Secondly, there are three distinct Mii Fighter move sets. Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter. Miis have three complete move sets (actually even more since they have extra specials), that's the work of three characters.

Character select screen slots are meaningless. Miis took three spots.

Last edited:

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
No. The reason I disliked them to begin with is because I want to fight Nintendo All-Stars in my Smash, I don't want to fight a random guy I've never met, or Abraham Lincoln, or Eliah Wood, or Ice T, or Hitler, or Jesus, or Goku. It sure doesn't help that they've got this 3 moveset **** going on so you can't predict what moveset you're going to face, could be troubling in For Glory online and might make them overflood it, which is my biggest fear in regards to them. I for one won't be using them.
thisthisthisthisthisthisthis

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
What everyone seems to forget is that everyone gets a bunch of specials, not just the Mii's. Everyone probably gets 3 options for each of their specials (we already know of 3 Mario's fire ball and 2 for a couple of other peoples). If you look at it that way, its not that big of a deal... Anyways, everyone is either a Microsoft/Sony fanboy and they bothered to make an account or they are just not being rational in any way...

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I actually would've preferred if they used a single moveset based on Mii games like Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, etc.

All this customization stuff is a bit overcomplicated and a sort of Pandora's Box, but I guess I see the idea behind it.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I thought they were the stupidest idea ever. Now that I've seen them, I'm okay with them. Still not my first choice.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
Had a bit of a rollercoaster with my opinion on them. Initially I was pretty much against it simply because they seemed like a very dull concept to me. However, more and more proof came up they would make it in and I begrudgingly accepted they would probably make it in. However, once I saw some clever move-sets with references to all the games they were in and the release of Tomodachi Life I realized how much they can do with them to give them character, I felt a bit more relieved and was kind of interested. I mean, hey, I CAN play with Reggie now.

But looking at it now... they just seem like the dull character I thought they might become first. On top of that, though; those are 3 move-sets and months of development time they put into a relatively unpopular character. I understand the appeal in having (x) fight (y), but I just feel that dilutes the "special" factor from many of the characters in the roster. Like Iam8bit says, it all seems incredibly complicated for an avatar who, frankly, missed the boat for Brawl.

It's a bit of a shame, but I can already tell I'll much prefer playing with Villager than with Mii.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Not happy at all, there is so many more iconic characters to choose from.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Yeah, didn't want to see them before. Fine with them now. May try to take one as a pocket character.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...I like Miis. I liked the idea of them being in Smash Brothers. I still do. I love the idea of the 3 Classes with different movesets & customizations. I just, really love it.
Come at me bros, but I'm a Mii Gunner Mainer.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Sakurai made a really bad idea for a character really cool. Congrats to him. Now that I can use Reggie, I actually like the Miis in smash.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
yes they did. i wanted miis so bad ( but not as bad as palutena) and when they were revealed i was so excited, but now in hindsight, i think 3 miis is overdoing it. i already made a rant post in the "miis confirmed x 3" thread if you wanna go there and read it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Without a doubt.
I loathed the idea of Miis before I saw what Sakurai was able to do with them. They've far exceeded my expectations. They look genuinely fun to play, and are visually interesting.

I've heard that you can't use them online, outside of "with friends" battles... I wonder if that's true? Are they a real character, then? Why wouldn't they be? They do seem to borrow a vast number of attacks from other characters, however (Link, Fox, Mac, Mega Man, Mario, & Samus, off the top of my head). I mean, they're blatantly copied attacks. But the Mii Fighter is based on archetypes, so it feels acceptable.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
It just occurred to me... I can make my grandmother into a Brawler... this is so happening. Mii Fighter +17 points.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I was a huge anti Mii associate. Mainly because peoples arguments are because they have infinite potential which is redundant and a stupid argument since everything has potential. I didn't want to see movesets that went as far as using random sports equipment or equipment of any sort.

Seeing them presented in the way it was in the reveal has changed my mind entirely. The job class is perfect for the Mii's imo and Sakurai is one of the only persons in the world who never ceases to amaze me.

Of course we'll probably see Hitler or Sadam Hussein, but you have to remember that Mii's aren't playable online. No one will be offended unless your friend uses a Mii of a person his friend hates which is nothing to really worry about.

Competitively, this one can be a little tricky. It would be fair game to leave each class of Mii on the default moveset, if default exist for such a thing, or we can make a community official moveset for the Mii's.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Only Brawler Mii looks remotely interesting due to the kung-fu inspirations, while the others are dull knockoffs. Seems like a waste of development time just to shoehorn a novelty that's going to dry thin quickly.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I thought mii's were a bad idea and i still think they are. All i can imagine is playing online against a bunch of penises. i'll whack em off. This is smash brothers! An epic brawl between our favorite Nintendo all star characters. Now it will be filled with avatars , not characters. characters have a story and a personality. We now have avatars in smash, how sad.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I thought mii's were a bad idea and i still think they are. All i can imagine is playing online against a bunch of penises. i'll whack em off. This is smash brothers! An epic brawl between our favorite Nintendo all star characters. Now it will be filled with avatars , not characters. characters have a story and a personality. We now have avatars in smash, how sad.
Million times, you can't play Mii's online with randoms.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I'm okay with them for now, but I'll be really upset if Ridley and King K Rool and other important characters don't get in, because if the Miis didn't exist in Smash, we practically could have had 9 other characters instead. They're chill, as long as the roster stays golden.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Stupid then, stupid now.

Potentially even more stupid because they're probably banned.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Only Brawler Mii looks remotely interesting due to the kung-fu inspirations, while the others are dull knockoffs. Seems like a waste of development time just to shoehorn a novelty that's going to dry thin quickly.
Toon link is just about as much as a knock off of Link as say.. gunner Mii is to Samus. in fact, I rather like the look of gunner mii.

They are a very...how can I say this, they LOOK fluid. Like they will be fun to play. Besides, now I can say "FIGHT ME MII TO MII IN SMASH THEN, FGGT!" While me and a friend duke it out with little avatars of ourselves.

would I have prefered K Rool or Ridley? Yes. But, I wont complain just yet :3

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I never really wanted them, but expected them all the same. As silly as it sounds I'm glad they got in the game in the form of a gimmicky customizable character. If they were just a traditional fighter with a static moveset they'd seem more of a wasted space to me. Having them be a "customizable" character makes them at least interesting. Good to see they aren't allowed in for Glory, the smash team seems to realize that they are not gonna realistically be a balanced kind of character.

So I guess I'd say overall I don't mind. With how much Nintendo pushes them I've expected them all along. They are better this way than as a full fledged character.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though they are detrimental to the roster; however, my opinion of them has changed. I do like the Mii Gunner move-set whereas my sister enjoys the Mii Swordsman. I am a little depressed that you cannot use them to play online, but perhaps that is for the better. It defeats the purpose of using Mii Fighter as a main in my opinion.

Prince Longstrok

I feel as though they are detrimental to the roster; however, my opinion of them has changed. I do like the Mii Gunner move-set whereas my sister enjoys the Mii Swordsman. I am a little depressed that you cannot use them to play online, but perhaps that is for the better. It defeats the purpose of using Mii Fighter as a main in my opinion.
It is a bummer that you cannot "main" a Mii :c BUT, you CAN beat the hell out of pretty much anyone you can think of should you want to make a Mii for them.

They wont know, but you will know, and thats all that matters. :yeahboi:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I was neutral towards them but the moveset potential that was shown convinced me on it.

And no, they are not taking anyone's slot. That's a bad argument that people use when they don't get their way.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

I was neutral towards them but the moveset potential that was shown convinced me on it.

And no, they are not taking anyone's slot. That's a bad argument that people use when they don't get their way.
Agreed.

Atleast they are actually a Nintendo creation and honestly, are a part of Nintendos history now.

Im looking at you, third party characters. >.>

Morbi

Scavenger

Objectively speaking; Mii Fighters were developed, correct? That means that they were developed in favor of something else, correct? I do not necessarily care if you arbitrarily despise the argument. It is absolute fact, unless you are referring to the very literal notion that they did not immediately replace someone, in that event you would be correct, good sir; however, it is important to note that no one alludes to that sentiment. So you would actually be erroneous in your presumption. Do I mind, no. Did it happen, yes.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I wish they at least had a default for each of the 3 miis, and made you use the default when you go online against 'anyone'. This is going to be quite the question to answer for tournaments. It's going to be really disheartening if you can't "main" one of the characters. It's already bad that you can't even use them online against people you don't know. Takes the piss right out of it if you ask me.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Objectively speaking; Mii Fighters were developed, correct? That means that they were developed in favor of something else, correct? I do not necessarily care if you arbitrarily despise the argument. It is absolute fact, unless you are referring to the very literal notion that they did not immediately replace someone, in that event you would be correct, good sir; however, it is important to note that no one alludes to that sentiment. So you would actually be erroneous in your presumption. Do I mind, no. Did it happen, yes.
That is a fair observation. But when we tend to use that argument whenever a character I dislike/don't care shows up we overlook other things.
Say, if you told me, they could have used that spot for K.Rool or Waluigi or whatever, we are not taking into account factors like "Is this character I'd rather have really that prominent so that it would warrant a spot?" I don't doubt that there are Nintendo characters that have followers but some of them may be more niche than we think. There is nothing wrong with desiring a certain fighter but we need to realize as well that just because I like someone a lot it doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to comply with it. When Waluigi was shown as an assist trophy again, I believe that some members of the community adopted a very unhealthy attitude.
Also, if a character ends up getting considered during development, I don't believe that Sakurai says "Yeah, I'm gonna take the assets of this fighter and transfer them into someone they don't expect, just to piss people off". And it's not like he nevers listens to requests either; Megaman and Little Mac happened because people wanted them.

Morbi

Scavenger
That is a fair observation. But when we tend to use that argument whenever a character I dislike/don't care shows up we overlook other things.
Say, if you told me, they could have used that spot for K.Rool or Waluigi or whatever, we are not taking into account factors like "Is this character I'd rather have really that prominent so that it would warrant a spot?" I don't doubt that there are Nintendo characters that have followers but some of them may be more niche than we think. There is nothing wrong with desiring a certain fighter but we need to realize as well that just because I like someone a lot it doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to comply with it. When Waluigi was shown as an assist trophy again, I believe that some members of the community adopted a very unhealthy attitude.
Also, if a character ends up getting considered during development, I don't believe that Sakurai says "Yeah, I'm gonna take the assets of this fighter and transfer them into someone they don't expect, just to piss people off". And it's not like he nevers listens to requests either; Megaman and Little Mac happened because people wanted them.
Of course not, I just did not appreciate the objective proclamation. I understand what you are attempting to convey as you elaborated your perspective, but prior to that, it just sounded as though you were disregarding the argument without a reason. Again, I can see where you are coming from now. Thank you for the clarification.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Say, if you told me, they could have used that spot for K.Rool or Waluigi or whatever, we are not taking into account factors like "Is this character I'd rather have really that prominent so that it would warrant a spot?" I don't doubt that there are Nintendo characters that have followers but some of them may be more niche than we think.
[...]Also, if a character ends up getting considered during development, I don't believe that Sakurai says "Yeah, I'm gonna take the assets of this fighter and transfer them into someone they don't expect, just to piss people off". And it's not like he nevers listens to requests either; Megaman and Little Mac happened because people wanted them.
No, it's probably more like this:

Sakurai: Let's make three versions of Mii Fighter!
Later...
Sakurai: Hmmm... who else can we add? Oh we could add Palutena and K Rool... but we don't really have time for both of them... I guess I'll just add Palutena.

(Insert whichever characters you like.)

If not for the three Mii characters, when considering other characters he would consider the pre-existing workload to be lower, and therefore be more willing to add other characters. It's not that complicated an idea, and it doesn't require Sakurai to have any nefarious thoughts or be rejecting a character because he's directly thinking something like "Oh, K Rool would be nice, but I'd rather please casual gamers instead of K Rool fans". It's a simple factor of there being limited development time.

If you think that Sakurai has made any decisions about the roster which take into account development time, then yes, one character can displace another. In all the previous Smash games, the roster size was limited by development time (and we know of specific characters that were not included because of this). So it's not crazy to think he has some limitations now.

I agree for characters like Waluigi that he probably wouldn't have gotten in no matter how long Sakurai was taking... He's simply not high up enough on Sakurai's list - the roster would have to be huge.

I don't think it's a stretch for fans of Isaac, Ridley, K Rool, Dixie, Bowser Jr, or others with much stronger arguments for inclusion to blame him for picking Mii.

They might be more niche than Miis... but that's not the point. Miis didn't get just one move set. They got three. And there are diminishing returns on adding more Mii movesets. K Rool doesn't have to be less niche than Mii for this argument to make sense, he just has to create more hype than adding a third Mii moveset.

And I think on that basis, it becomes a lot harder to dismiss those characters as "just not being worthy in the first place" which is essentially what you're saying.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

Actually... it could be pretty... :troll::troll::troll:

I'm being serious here. It is stupid for Miis to be in. They're not a Nintendo All-Star! Neither are Rosalina, WFT or Greninja... Miis being included in this game further verifies the point to me that this game has completely ignored its roots at this stage and is instead just choosing recent, popular characters to... I guess try and make the game and system sell. I don't know why else they would be included....

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No, it's probably more like this:

Sakurai: Let's make three versions of Mii Fighter!
Later...
Sakurai: Hmmm... who else can we add? Oh we could add Palutena and K Rool... but we don't really have time for both of them... I guess I'll just add Palutena.

(Insert whichever characters you like.)

If not for the three Mii characters, when considering other characters he would consider the pre-existing workload to be lower, and therefore be more willing to add other characters. It's not that complicated an idea, and it doesn't require Sakurai to have any nefarious thoughts or be rejecting a character because he's directly thinking something like "Oh, K Rool would be nice, but I'd rather please casual gamers instead of K Rool fans". It's a simple factor of there being limited development time.

If you think that Sakurai has made any decisions about the roster which take into account development time, then yes, one character can displace another. In all the previous Smash games, the roster size was limited by development time (and we know of specific characters that were not included because of this). So it's not crazy to think he has some limitations now.

I agree for characters like Waluigi that he probably wouldn't have gotten in no matter how long Sakurai was taking... He's simply not high up enough on Sakurai's list - the roster would have to be huge.

I don't think it's a stretch for fans of Isaac, Ridley, K Rool, Dixie, Bowser Jr, or others with much stronger arguments for inclusion to blame him for picking Mii.

They might be more niche than Miis... but that's not the point. Miis didn't get just one move set. They got three. And there are diminishing returns on adding more Mii movesets. K Rool doesn't have to be less niche than Mii for this argument to make sense, he just has to create more hype than adding a third Mii moveset.

And I think on that basis, it becomes a lot harder to dismiss those characters as "just not being worthy in the first place" which is essentially what you're saying.
Your guess is as good as mine on this one then.
But we have to consider as well how high the characters you mentioned are on Sakurai's list to warrant them an inclusion; or if they are on said list at all. Now, I'm sure that if a couple those characters have extensive support, the dev team would have probably considered them already; mii-less or not. Megaman and Little Mac had high demand and that worked out in the end. On Rosalina's reveal, I think it was unfair to use her as an scape goat for "taking" Bowser Jr's spot, a character who's demand I believe is greatly overestimated, not that I'm saying that it wouldn't be good to have him.
Anyways, I don't think I can provide anything useful to the argument anymore. I'm just gonna say that I do think as well that a game with a roster as vast as Smash can afford a couple of odd choices, any character they keep adding is just icing on the cake. But we can't always get what we want nor know for sure if everyone else wants what I want. There has to be point where we have to ask ourselves if it's reasonable to keep blaming every newcomer for whoever didn't make it.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Had a bit of a rollercoaster with my opinion on them. Initially I was pretty much against it simply because they seemed like a very dull concept to me. However, more and more proof came up they would make it in and I begrudgingly accepted they would probably make it in. However, once I saw some clever move-sets with references to all the games they were in and the release of Tomodachi Life I realized how much they can do with them to give them character, I felt a bit more relieved and was kind of interested. I mean, hey, I CAN play with Reggie now.

But looking at it now... they just seem like the dull character I thought they might become first. On top of that, though; those are 3 move-sets and months of development time they put into a relatively unpopular character. I understand the appeal in having (x) fight (y), but I just feel that dilutes the "special" factor from many of the characters in the roster. Like Iam8bit says, it all seems incredibly complicated for an avatar who, frankly, missed the boat for Brawl.

It's a bit of a shame, but I can already tell I'll much prefer playing with Villager than with Mii.
Again with the "extra time" put into their specials. Everyone gets a total of 12 possible specials. I can understand not liking the idea of the Mii being in smash though. It is an awkward choice.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I always knew Miis were likely, after the reveal! I was hyped!
Sakurai managed to make them unique and fun. Whoever can make Miis unique and fun is a genius.

SmashingGal

Smash Rookie
My opinion hasn't changed at all. I liked the idea of customizable Miis and I still like that. I'm definitely going to show to those Smash Brothers (and Sisters) who's the boss!

Top Bottom