• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy for a Noob.

Z4D

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I've been reading up on your forums until I decided to sign up. So yea, hi :)
But back to the point, I'm thinking of maining Diddy Kong because he seems really interesting, and I have a Brawl tournament in 4 days, and I need to know how to use him well, or train well you could say.

Any tips?
And yes, Before you say look at the stickied posts, I have, and am planning on printing them out, I just wanned to know some extra tips from the community.
Banana Locking? Or does that take a while to master?
Well yea, I plan on getting past the first round, which I think is a 4 player Brawl.

Cheers,
Z4D.
:diddy:

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Train with friends! Very much! It will help you get better faster than just reading posts here, especially since you need to be good in 4 days.

Z4D

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately for me, the friend that I know that is going is too busy training with his 24 year old brother which is most likely going to be in the top 8 for sure (The Brother that is)

So yea, I'm stuck on my own so really I only have myself to train..
Btw, whats with the Fair, Dair, Fsmash etc? and how do u do it? (Soz for sounding like a noob, being new sux >.<)

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Just play a lot of matches against lv. 3 CPU's and learn what attacks to use at what percents and learn to master your bananas and know when you have time to pull them out and where to place them when they aren't being thrown at your opponents.

Also, learn to glide toss as a reflex as it can come in very handy for Diddy. And be sure to watch match videos from some of the better Diddy's (AlphaZealot, Nanerz, etc...) That's what helped me learn how to play Diddy well.

Congrats on picking the right character! And good luck at the tourny!

Edit: Fair is a great shorthop move to use after a naner slip and is a decent KO move/edgegaurd move. Dair is a great spike and you'll probably be using that as an edgegaurd the most. Fsmash is another great move for when you make an opponent slip on banana at close range as it can get them off the stage. Really, again, just watch vidoes and you'll learn real quick what to use and when.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Look for Nanerz videos and try to copy what he does. Learn what glide tossing is and how to do it. Learn how to use your bananas to their full potential and learn how to edge guard.

Z4D

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback guys.
So really, watch Nanerz videos and attempt at copying what he does, but dont expect to be exactly the same? :p
And practise against level 3 CPUs to master dropping bananas and glide tossing and all my smashes and stuff, also maybe jumping OFF the stage, Dair-ing and the jumping back up?

diddykongsnaners

Smash Apprentice
Look for Nanerz videos and try to copy what he does. Learn what glide tossing is and how to do it. Learn how to use your bananas to their full potential and learn how to edge guard.
that could bake a bit, im good with the naners but not like them

Z4D

Smash Rookie
I dont think NoiR means to their full potential like nanerz and all them use em, I think NoiR means like, as best as I can, in my 4 day traning length.
But yea, you guys are great with feedback and all ^^

Nitrix

Smash Ace
  • Learn how to use Bananas
  • Realize that Diddy is a pressure character that relies on momentum to keep going
  • Be offensive

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Btw, whats with the Fair, Dair, Fsmash etc? and how do u do it? (Soz for sounding like a noob, being new sux >.<)
Just in case, Fair = Forward Aerial, Fsmash = Forward Smash. Although I think you've figured it out.

As you'll see in Nanerz and AlphaZealot's vids, alot of Diddy's gameplay revolves around banana control. As others have said, with the limited amount of time you have, you should just watch those videos and see if you can emulate their playstyles.

In emulating them, you'll realise what works for you and what doesn't.

When you get to the tournament, I would suggest getting in as many practice rounds as you can before the tournament starts, so get in there early and don't be afraid to ask for some friendly matches. If it's a player run tournament, and if it's not against the rules to have friendlies, then people are generally very willing to play, and this is your best bet to get accustomed to the kind of Diddy playstyle you'll need to do well against human opponents.

Top Bottom