• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
If some Anti-Diddy guy came here and said "I don't want Diddy in Brawl because I don't like him", I'd respect that. But I'm getting tired of this "DK Clone" and "No more DKC representation" crap.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
They say that the DK franchise is too small to have more than one character it has 11 games already with 2 more confirmed yeah way too small, Starfox has 5 games and they already have 2 characters and people are talking about adding 2 more.

They say he would be a clone of DK, these are the people that don't know the difference between an ape and a monkey or the people that have never ever played a DK game because Diddy has never used a move DK has (aside from the basic ones and Simian Slam)

Those are the only too reasons they have and they are imensly flawed, they say the don't like him hey that's ok not everyone does, I respect that (now, when I first made this thread I was all like OMG DIdDy KonG!!!11!!!!)

Uncle Kenny said:
Funky Kong looks cool, and what is a Diddy Defender?
People that defended Diddy when I wasn't here I should update that, because we had another plague when I was out on my Dirt Bike again.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
Ok so if I'm reading this correctly, many people dont want diddy because they think he will be a DK clone. Let's think about this Logically.

DK's movelist

B - Windup punch. Ok, I dont know about you, but if a tiny monkey winds up his arm, I'm not exactly afraid he's gonna smack me 50 feet through the air.

Smash B - Headbutt into floor. A tiny monkey headbutts an opponent and it actually drives them into the floor and wedges them in? I think not.

Up B - Spin. This works for DK because he has HUGE FRICKIN ARMS.

Down B - Ground Slap. A huge ape slaps the ground = shockwave. a Little monkey slaps the ground = an innocent ant is killed.

So Diddy Kong a DK clone? I disagree.

Now then, as for diddy himself, he is a very deserving character. He has been ion many beloved games, had a starring role in a game, and has infinite potential.

All the games he's been in have even set up a movelist for him.

He's got a potential movelist that could use peanut popguns, cartwheels, barrel boosters, simian slam, dashes, and even an electric guitar!

So in conclusion, Diddy for Brawl!

daisythirdeyeW33

Smash Apprentice
It's true, Diddy cannot be a clone of Donkey Kong. It seems weird seeing Diddy using Giant Punch and Diddy Kong using the third jump move Spinning Kong and also using Hand Slap on the ground. These kinds of moves are more for larger characters. It would look ******** seeing Diddy Kong doing DK's special moves and movelist. Awful character attributes if you tell me.

AS A MATTER OF FACT,
Diddy Kong is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT character. He appeared playable TWICE than Donkey Kong in the Country series and this is what started the DK franchise.

So the people who don't like or want Diddy Kong to appear in Brawl, you are out of luck, sooner or later Diddy Kong is bound to appear in the series. Whether you like it or not.

xianfeng,
I support your Diddy Kong Thread *along with other characters in your wishlist*

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I guessed you would support Daisy :) I updated the list thing and I think I should remove the rankings because it's too hard to keep track what do you think?

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Warning: Upcoming...Nor really a rant, more like lectures.
He has a Wiki article!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diddy_Kong

Excerpt(Tried to highlight games):

Diddy returned in 2003 with a Game Boy Advance port of Donkey Kong Country, which was a retelling of his original adventure with Donkey Kong. It featured new map screens and new modes of play like DK Attack and Hero Mode, where you have to beat the game with Diddy and only Diddy (sporting swank yellow clothes).

Diddy's debut in a Mario and GameCube game was in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. This was also the first time he appeared in a non-Rareware game (the company was sold to Microsoft in 2002). His appearance in this and most subsequent non-Rare appearances depicted him with five fingers and toes instead of four. While this may have been changed due to a taboo concerning four-fingered characters in Japanese culture, (Yakuza are known to cut off their fingers, and for this reason a four fingered character might look like a gangster), a popular fanon explanation states that Diddy may have purchased prosthetic glove and foot devices upon his first visit to the Mushroom Kingdom in order to improve his golf game.

Later that year he appeared in a Macromedia Shockwave game called Donkey Kong Country Barrel Maze that was available on the Candystand website. He also turned up in another kart racing game, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, where he rode along with Donkey Kong and tossed giant banana peels.

In 2004, the first non-Rare Donkey Kong game with DKC-styled characters was released. Namco's Donkey Konga was a GameCube music title that was packaged with a DK Bongo controller. You used it to keep the rhythm with the beats of covers to famous songs (as well as Nintendo video game music). Diddy appeared along with Donkey Kong and other DKC franchise characters. He would also turn up that year in Mario Power Tennis, where he had a special jetpack he could use to fly around the court, and in a Game Boy Advance port of Donkey Kong Country 2 that was packed with new mini-games and more.

2005 saw him in the sequel to Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2, where he once again stood in as the character controlled by a second bongo player. He was then a team sub-captain in Mario Superstar Baseball (his biggest role yet in a Mario game), had a prominent role in DK King of Swing, and would make a cameo in the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country 3.

A remake of Diddy Kong Racing is being developed by Rare for the Nintendo DS, largely based on the N64 one. Diddy will be also playable in DK-King of Swing DS. Diddy will also be a playable character in the up and coming Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the Nintendo DS and DK Bongo Blast for the Nintendo GameCube.

In this article, they present many of Diddy Kong's games from 2003 to now. They even talk about some of his future releases, but let's look at this. That is ALOT of games right there. I don't think we even saw Starfox in that many games. He is a part of Mario as well, boasting his popularity in another region, and making a permanent mark on the series. He has had his own game, and that helps support the fact that they know Diddy is his own character.

This is a good time to point out what Dantedemonslayr said:

Ok so if I'm reading this correctly, many people dont want diddy because they think he will be a DK clone. Let's think about this Logically.

DK's movelist

B - Windup punch. Ok, I dont know about you, but if a tiny monkey winds up his arm, I'm not exactly afraid he's gonna smack me 50 feet through the air.

Smash B - Headbutt into floor. A tiny monkey headbutts an opponent and it actually drives them into the floor and wedges them in? I think not.

Up B - Spin. This works for DK because he has HUGE FRICKIN ARMS.

Down B - Ground Slap. A huge ape slaps the ground = shockwave. a Little monkey slaps the ground = an innocent ant is killed.

So Diddy Kong a DK clone? I disagree.

Now then, as for diddy himself, he is a very deserving character. He has been ion many beloved games, had a starring role in a game, and has infinite potential.

All the games he's been in have even set up a movelist for him.

He's got a potential movelist that could use peanut popguns, cartwheels, barrel boosters, simian slam, dashes, and even an electric guitar!
He has the right idea about this, and I couldn't have said it better myself! I say, and will say I support Diddy! Diddy for Brawl.

-SMB

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ok, i guess i better start from where i last posted.

i mentioned fire emblem because everyone was against it at the time, and i had to make a point that it was a good game. i hope marth and roy stay and bring in Ike from fe:path of radiance.

anyway, back to diddy, wow another diddy hater.:ohwell: he said the exact same thing the other 2 have said. if he was smart enough to look back at what the tons of diddy supporters have said, then he probably wouldn't have posted. and you guys make a good point. they probably hate diddy because they don't fully know the capacity that diddy has.

xianfeng, keep the rating system. it makes me feel god-like in this thread, i should say. it is a really cool feature that no other thread has.

and what brought you back to grey? it was green when i repped you.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
someone neg repped me in the umbreon / espeon thread.

Ok I will keep the rating system.
OFF TOPIC: That's because of all the pokemon n00bs who think that because Umbreon and espeon look cool, that automatically makes them cool. They don't. They suck. Vaporeon is the best Evee evolution. Glad to see you back in the green :)

ON TOPIC: Diddy FTW!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
uber cool. i wish my leon thread was as popular. i am glad that thread is up and running again. but yeah, glad to see you in green dude. no one that makes this thread should be in the red.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Off topic: I wonder how long I will stay in the Green this time, I'm gonna +rep the people that make character threads I support now

On Topic: DIDDY FTW!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I think there is more than an 85% chance more like a 99% chance, he has been skipped for the past two and him, Wario and Metaknight deserved to be in SSBM, They were grouped as the 3 that should be in there now with 2 out of 3 confirmed it's assumed Diddy will be there.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
I think there is more than an 85% chance more like a 99% chance, he has been skipped for the past two and him, Wario and Metaknight deserved to be in SSBM, They were grouped as the 3 that should be in there now with 2 out of 3 confirmed it's assumed Diddy will be there.
Diddy needs to be in. I didn't even think they had as much as a chance as Diddy did, and since they made it, I think Diddy has a good chance.

Diddy for Brawl!

-SMB

Maxim26

Smash Rookie
Seriously i would like any one thats good but diddy is a good character so im up for him

Maverick69

Smash Ace
even more than 99% for me. i am 99.99% sure that these characters (Ridley, Krystal, and Diddy) will be in brawl. i would say 100% but nothing is guaranteed.

still, Diddy for Brawl!
Ridley and diddey seem very likely. I dunno about Krystal. SF already has 2 representatives. iono. I never got into SFA.

Maxim26

Smash Rookie
U guys dont think that they might just add sonic , knuckels or tails....maybe but it would be a big suprise.....

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Maxim, welcome to the boards, but this is a Diddy thread. If you want to discuss Sonic, please find his repective thread.

I think Diddy has a 95% chance of getting in.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
So...anyways if tiers are still around where would be he in?
I say hig-mid tier to low-High tier area.

U guys dont think that they might just add sonic , knuckels or tails....maybe but it would be a big suprise.....
there's no doubting the truth, Sonic WILL be in this game. No Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Amy, or anyother of his little friends will make it in.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Err yea he would be there..but is there anyone going to play as him? I mean I still play with my Linkage. But if Diddy comes in who play with him?

Sonic will be in this game, just as Megaman will be in there too.
I'd definently play Diddy alot, and I'm guessing xainfeg, colbusman, and just about every other Diddy defender and person on the diddy fan list will.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I will main Diddy definatly, I have started to practice with Fox because I think some of his moves could be similar to his (the jetpack and pistols) I am moulding how I play around Diddy, I better practice with the ICs as well incase they have a Diddy/Dixie tag team I hope they don't.

Top Bottom