• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Diddy Kong [Old] General Match-Ups**

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
A jiggs would most likely cp delfino, or halberd. Im pretty sure jiggs is good against diddy on brinstar and lylat as well, but im not 100% on that, alot of jiggs that i vs tend to like lylat. I like usmash, nair, and fair alot in this matchup. You can shield-grab rollout if you face the other way and grab as soon as it makes contact. Watch out for getting gimped, play it safe when recovering. Pound is broken, it has priority over almost all of our attacks, and make sure bananas are in your control. Jiggs can use bananas pretty well. Also on stages like delfino or halberd, its good to barrel spike them through the stage when they're uairing underneath you. I did this in a match today and i gimped her first stock within about the first 15 seconds of the match =). I think this is 55:45/60:40 in jigglypuffs favor. Her arials really disrupt the nanner game, and she can gimp well.

I don't know too much about ganondorf. Just combo the living daylights out of him, and abuse the popgun..it gets **** done.

I have no experience whatsoever with the captain falcon matchup. All i know is that captain falcon > ganondorf. He is way harder to vs imo

For shiek, she doesn't have too much range. I think its best to semi-camp her, because you don't want to get too close or you'll get insanely combo'd. But once you hit her with a banana, punish her...BAD. Gimping is also a major part in this matchup imo, her recovery isn't that great, keep the pressure on with edgegaurding. Lastly, KEEP THE BANANAS IN YOUR CONTROL, shiek is good at using bananas against us, make sure you can keep them in your control. I think this matchup is fairly even, probably about 6:4 in diddys favor...but i haven't vsed a really good shiek, so who knows.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Corneria if you can, but battlefield and FD are good neutral stages against her.
ok ill cp there then. i have 0% practice on that stage. gotta get used to short ceiling and sides O_< theyre extremely short. i like the free wall lock there tho xD ill wait there :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Sheik 55-45 (diddy favor)
I lost to a sheik at cape coral, but due to the fact I did not know what to expect. but after that match we playd friendlies and I prevailed most of them.
Ftilt can combo into a nair or fair or even a grab , U BETTER SDI THIS or ur gonna eat 20-40%, u dont want that lol. her bair is beast and nair lasts forever lol just be cautious in the air and ALWAYS land safe. after she has needles expect to be either hit by the needles followed up by her extremely long dacus or dash attack (assuming she messed up the dacus xD). her chain sucks its w.e havent seen any good uses against diddy yet for it. her up b, very predictable but watch out it can actually push u back O-o. if you recover on to the stage instead of the edge she can upb into the same spot push u slight back for a dsmash/dacus/dash attack/ or a fsmash but u can di the first hit easily. what else uhhh...i thought she had a hard time killing...she doesnt so dont underestimate her power. oh and dsmash has like 3-4 hits i believe u cant just shield one of the hits and if u do better shield grab or ftilt her soon after. u can battle her in the air with sh fairs/bairs but u might trade hits i havent experimented too much on it. oh and oos options is beast here.
Even if you SDI the Ftilt, you still take at least 20% if she starts it when you're at 0%, you can actually Uair her Ftilt if your damaged a bit. Don't try to be aggressive when edgeguarding, instead jump onto the ledge so she is forced to use her up-b where it usually lands on stage and you can punish with a Bthrow and repeat it until she aims her up-b right. Actually, she does have a hard time killing since her best kill moves are her Usmash and a fresh up-b which are predictable if you know the matchup well, her Dsmash isn't THAT powerful, but it comes out fast and her Fsmash is predictable, with good DI you both will probably be living to about the same damage %.
This is more of a general Diddy/Smash in general question than it is about the match-up, but you said to hang on the ledge to make Sheik Up-B onto the stage where you can then B-Throw her back off. What is the best method of getting back on the stage without getting hurt but still getting back on in time to punish the lag? Simply getting up? Jumping off and popping back on? Rolling? I have consistent trouble punishing an opponent like this because I have no idea how to get back on the stage fast enough.

ok ill cp there then. i have 0% practice on that stage. gotta get used to short ceiling and sides O_< theyre extremely short. i like the free wall lock there tho xD ill wait there :p
Isn't Corneria banned now?

Player-1

Smash Legend
This is more of a general Diddy/Smash in general question than it is about the match-up, but you said to hang on the ledge to make Sheik Up-B onto the stage where you can then B-Throw her back off. What is the best method of getting back on the stage without getting hurt but still getting back on in time to punish the lag? Simply getting up? Jumping off and popping back on? Rolling? I have consistent trouble punishing an opponent like this because I have no idea how to get back on the stage fast enough.

Isn't Corneria banned now?
I think the best way to get back on is simply to just get up (where you just hit your control stick in a direction), once you're at 100%+ the Sheik can usually Dsmash you if you try it.

Yeah Corneria is banned now, but some tournaments still allow it

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
TBH, I'd much rather be discussing Pikachu than the Low Tiers... I fight a very good Pikachu regularly, and I'm shocked (lol pun) we haven't been over him.

And I'm hoping for that re-vamp soon... I'd love to see some individual match-up threads floating around.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong is fun to fight. I main Samus, and I enjoy fighting Diddy Kong mains. Actually, I find that Samus is the best character for me to use whenever I have to fight a Diddy Kong main. I have fought Player-1, Zinoto, L_Cancel, yoshididdy, and Esca. Those are the only names I can remember, actually. I'm going to go ahead and say that the match is in Diddy Kong's favor, but I do find the use of glide tossing to be helpful for Samus mains. Both Samus and Diddy Kong seem to offer a good distance for spacing and set-ups.

Diddy Kong is a quick character, both in movement and in attack. His spot-dodging and rolling are also excellent, and he has a good recovery and spike. His Banana Peels help him out a lot, but I think once you have good knowledge on how to use the Banana Peels against Diddy Kong, the match doesn't seem so bad. With Samus, she can hold the Banana Peels and use her Specials and Smash attacks. She can also perform z-air with a Banana Peel in her hand. That's a good amount of attacks she's still capable of using with a Banana Peel in hand.

Player-1 and Zinoto are the craziest Kongs I've played, though, and they've beaten me a number of times. Zinoto posted up a video of him and I playing a match, and he two-stocked me. That was something I wasn't expecting. So yeah. I'd go in for the kill as Diddy Kong. Samus' close-combat isn't anything like Diddy Kong's, and Diddy Kong can cover the ground real well against Samus. I don't know what else to offer, really. Other than having fun fighting Diddy Kong, he's also a fun character to play as. Whenever I get my Wii fixed, hopefully I'll get to fight some more Diddy Kongs.

Corneria if you can, but battlefield and FD are good neutral stages against her.
Maybe Final Destination, but Battlefield is Samus' playground.

Count

Smash Champion
I need help with jigglypuff. Anybody have legit IRL jiggly experience?

A jigglypuff knocked me out of a tournament that I had a good chance to win this weekend or get second, I was outclassed. He was very good but I didn't have a clue what to do. Thanks.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Hey guys, I just want to bring back to topic the Marth Matchup. I'm having a fairly hard time with the Marth Matchup and really need to figure out what's wrong with my game. I play against a very good Marth player.

Now I know that Diddy's recovery can be camped and edgeguarded by Marth players fairly easily but.. once I'm out there, I'm pretty much screwed. Good Marth players can Space and camp the edge almost perfectly and once your out on that edge, from what I've been experiencing.. there is no way back.

I'm not a bad player, I'm just having issues with Marth. Other characters not soo much..

Any suggestions fellow Diddys?

He is a very campy player and likes to bait out his opponent, which doesn't bother me.. since I can out camp him for the most part. When I am on the Ground I camp him with peanut and banana mindgames, and so long as I keep spaced and play smart, my ground game is legit, once my bananas are gone and I go to throw another one, the timing in which I take to throw out a banana pretty much leaves me open for a free hit. Hmm...

I haven't included myself much into this community since I picked up Diddy some 9 months ago.. but I would like to step my game up since I feel I am at a halt. I'm tired of losing to Marths because of their spacing advantages. Help me with what you can!

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Hey guys, I just want to bring back to topic the Marth Matchup. I'm having a fairly hard time with the Marth Matchup and really need to figure out what's wrong with my game. I play against a very good Marth player.

Now I know that Diddy's recovery can be camped and edgeguarded by Marth players fairly easily but.. once I'm out there, I'm pretty much screwed. Good Marth players can Space and camp the edge almost perfectly and once your out on that edge, from what I've been experiencing.. there is no way back.

I'm not a bad player, I'm just having issues with Marth. Other characters not soo much..

He is a very campy player and likes to bait out his opponent, which doesn't bother me.. since I can out camp him for the most part. When I am on the Ground I camp him with peanut and banana mindgames, and so long as I keep spaced and play smart, my ground game is legit, once my bananas are gone and I go to throw another one, the timing in which I take to throw out a banana pretty much leaves me open for a free hit. Hmm...

I haven't included myself much into this community since I picked up Diddy some 9 months ago.. but I would like to step my game up since I feel I am at a halt. I'm tired of losing to Marths because of their spacing advantages. Help me with what you can!
Nobody care to help?

Tero.

Smash Champion

By "camp the edge" do you mean they camp near the edge or they plank?
I can't see any problems against campy Marths because Diddy outcamps them since Marth has no projectile.

Also mix up your recovery, it shouldn't be that hard, you have your seccond jump, side B, airdodge and up B.

If you want more specific stuff you'll have to tell us more.

Top Bottom