• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
getting bananas for dk rofl.

nah dood i quit in 2011 cuz of life johns, went to university got my **** together and now im back rdy to take names again. whens the next time im gonna see ya
I dont know. I'm gonna stream ALL of the remaining custom moves when I wake up. I need to sleep. Twitch.tv/NinjaLink

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
WOW. DIDDY"S THROWS LITERALLY HAVE 0 RECOVERY. WTF IS THIS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

Also, glide tossing is as good as it ever was with jump cancel glide toss (You can do every glide toss from the previous game with just as much distance), but DEFENSIVE glide toss (OOS) is definitely gone. That's a good thing since it was always stupid.

Also experimenting with his new upB, you can effectively slide along the stage and sweetspot the ledge with it if you're reacting well enough. Meaning you can jetpack onto the ledge from anywhere on the stage. Cool.

Also it has light armor.

Last edited:

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Can't get used to my Brawl config of L is Shield R is Jump, going to fail miserably until I can get used to these controls. Lost to T-Block's Ness like fifteen times in For Glory, Ness MU is easily 90:10
Going to nip this in the bud here:

(Also hey guys, it's me, Sails. We still have a backroom here?)

Last edited:

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Can't get used to my Brawl config of L is Shield R is Jump, going to fail miserably until I can get used to these controls. Lost to T-Block's Ness like fifteen times in For Glory, Ness MU is easily 90:10
Going to nip this in the bud here:

(Also hey guys, it's me, Sails. We still have a backroom here?)
I'll have to give T-Block the business next time I go up to Edmonton (assuming it's the same T-Block). Ness does seem tough though. Fought a decent one at our launch tournament and it went to game 3 before I took him down.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I'm scared enough using his up-b to recover, lol.
It's actually not hard to use once you know how. You're not supposed to angle upB in this game to recover, you go straight up, then towards the ledge when you're at the right height.

Onstage, you simply aim it to make a circle, but keep the angle at around 40 degrees. At that angle it won't blow up. When you get near the ledge, get ready to make the angle more downward, since you'll need to to grab the ledge. Then just make sure you don't hold down.

Not simple, but it works, and it's a pretty decent edgeguard option atm as well as a way to speed across the stage with an active hitbox safely.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
It's actually not hard to use once you know how. You're not supposed to angle upB in this game to recover, you go straight up, then towards the ledge when you're at the right height.

Onstage, you simply aim it to make a circle, but keep the angle at around 40 degrees. At that angle it won't blow up. When you get near the ledge, get ready to make the angle more downward, since you'll need to to grab the ledge. Then just make sure you don't hold down.

Not simple, but it works, and it's a pretty decent edgeguard option atm as well as a way to speed across the stage with an active hitbox safely.
Does anybody know what causes the explosion on-stage yet? I'll sometimes do up-B out of shield and angle it into the ground, sometimes I explode, and sometimes I don't.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Does anybody know what causes the explosion on-stage yet? I'll sometimes do up-B out of shield and angle it into the ground, sometimes I explode, and sometimes I don't.
It's all angles. Hitting ANY terrain at a certain angle (Almost straight down) will blow you up.

Hitting a flat vertical wall collision, such as the ledge, will blow you up if you're NOT traveling vertically aligned to it OR are not hitting the very middle of it.

Basically, you just need to practice this for about 10 minutes or so and get used to maneuvering upB the new way.

Also, fun fact; upB (the startup) into upB's explosion (when Diddy blows himself up) is a combo onstage. You press upB next to them, angle it towards the floor quickly and it'll combo. What can you do with this? UpB out of shield is a great option now because you can slide yourself along the stage and get away or grab the ledge. So, if you see that upB hits them (NOT on block), you can use the explosion combo. If it DOESN'T hit or hits on block, slide yourself along the stage and grab the ledge.

Last edited:

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Diddy is so good, people are sleeping on him, haven't seen another one online at all.

Also I got that Flights of Diddy whatever glitch to happen where you rising UpB. Same concept as before, jump + UpB after knockback.

Is perfect canceling the popgun screwing anyone else up? I used to hop around and spam BReverse cancels all day and now it's grounds for death. His banana pull is also weird in that if you angle the stick right, he'll reverse his pull direction without BReversing. Causes me to pull a lot of bananas that then fly off stage.

Last edited:

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Hitting a flat vertical wall collision, such as the ledge, will blow you up if you're NOT traveling vertically aligned to it OR are not hitting the very middle of it.
You can actually go diagonally upwards and it won't explode, assuming it's a vertical wall. Additionally, if it's a 'slanted' ledge (Battlefield, vanilla FD), you can up B straight vertical from under the ledge and it WILL ride the wall safely.

I ALL of my testing, in order to explode you NEED to hit the ledge perpendicular. If you're going aligned with or at a 45% angle you will NOT crash.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Diddy's looking pretty good at the current state. I'm liking the banana mechanics now.

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Banana's are still usable and key. Diddy has good specials to abuse while holding a banana as well, so he's not limited in options. It'll be a lot better on WiiU once the GCN controller is usable, as JCT will be much easier and allow for more options to throw with the cstick.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Diddy has a new-ish throwing option that has gone overlooked (I think, at least? Brawl memory is fairly hazy...). DownB with a banana in hand tosses your banana in an arc that lands a bit closer than a normal pluck. It also has a weird jittery animation to it. This is sure to be a great mixup against anyone that feels safe on a platform diagonally above you, even better until people begin to expect plucks when one is out.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Diddy has a new-ish throwing option that has gone overlooked (I think, at least? Brawl memory is fairly hazy...). DownB with a banana in hand tosses your banana in an arc that lands a bit closer than a normal pluck. It also has a weird jittery animation to it. This is sure to be a great mixup against anyone that feels safe on a platform diagonally above you, even better until people begin to expect plucks when one is out.
Almost sounds like the animation he does when he already has one banana on stage and can't get another. Does it look like he's shrugging and has an "Uhhh..." expression on his face? Because that's just him going "No more bananas? :/ "

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Almost sounds like the animation he does when he already has one banana on stage and can't get another. Does it look like he's shrugging and has an "Uhhh..." expression on his face? Because that's just him going "No more bananas? :/ "
Yes, but I'm not talking about that animation. The banana itself has a very odd animation to it when you do it and it lands a little shorter than normal.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
I just took 3rd in this massive ~130 man Reddit tournament, only playing Diddy Kong. Lost to the same Ness twice due to a few 30% deaths from PKT2. I have some matchup info to share from my experience that I felt was relevant;

Bowser Jr: His car move that goes across the stage destroys bananas and doesn't stop him. SideB and peanuts are your friend.

D3: SideB all the things. Seriously, the kick is OP on his approach if they like to Gordo toss. Generally the same MU otherwise as Brawl.

Little Mac: Shield everything, throw him and everything, gimp with anything. This MU seems horrendous for Mac.

Ganon: Seems to be a repeat of the Brawl MU.

ROB: His SideB is super frustrating and long now, but you can shield the entire thing safely. Just wait for that uppercut animation he does and punish. Bait lasers and top and flip hump when appropriate. Bananas aren't as important in this MU so I say leave them on the ground for space control. Do not try to contest his UpAir, it kills early and has some surprising reach.

Greninja: Fast, but predictable. Watch for the shadow on the ground to catch him when he's teleporting. Monkey hump works wonders because he's so laggy that the Greninja will have a hard time reacting.

Ness: SCREW THIS KID. He should be easy because he's super exploitable, but I'm thinking he excels on Wifi/against slow reactors because of the auto combos he gets if you can't react in time. His throws will carry you far now, sometimes killing even with very good DI and vectoring as early as 90%.

Dashum

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dashum
3DS FC
2552-1818-2020
Hey all, I came across this video at work (I work at a kids' educational gaming company) and thought you Brawl Diddy's would appreciate it. Unfortunately, two banana days are over :chuckle:

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong is pretty good, but no matter hard I try to use him effectively, I can't win against a Lvl. 9 R.O.B. :(
The most helpful advice I can give is to use Diddy's Down Throw Up Air combo. You can even use his Banana to grab your opponent when they're knocked down.

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong is pretty good, but no matter hard I try to use him effectively, I can't win against a Lvl. 9 R.O.B. :(
Level 9 CPU's have this weird psychic rolling / countering (if they have one) that is inhuman, and not really worth practicing against as a measure of skill. If I'm getting countered (on reaction) out of random frame 4 D-tilts, well, that's not something a human can do. They also roll dodge any grab, you can't 'bait' them into things, but you can punish their mechanical errors and weirdness

If you have a reliable net connection I recommend just doing for glory 1v1s as even if you lose, you're getting relevant practice reading and fighting human opponents.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Post or PM skype usernames and I'll send requests & add you all to a group. Or just add me, my skype is ceotis

Should be a pretty cool joint!

Last edited:
Top Bottom