• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Techniques, strategies, and impressions, (Updated with New info and vids!)

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Smashes

Diddy Kong is an amazing character and he has so many options. His forward smash is great, and it is really good for outing. His down Smash works as a good roll trap, and it is also good for rolling into your opponent and using it. The move comes out so fast that is can sometimes take your opponent by surprise. Diddy's up smash is a really great move to do while running at your opponent in place of your running A. It has excellent combo potential and can usually set you up to hit a forward or back aerial.

Aerials

Speaking of Aerials, Diddy's Forward air is amazing. It has good knock back, killing potential, and it's useful for keeping your opponent off of the stage. Diddy's down air is a spike, and it's actually pretty nasty. If you don't time it just right, one of two things will happen. Either you will miss and be vulnerable for a few seconds, or you will connect but end up killing yourself along with your opponent. Diddy's up air is really good for comboing, and at high percentages it can kill. A good combo that I like to use is running up smash into up air into a back of forward air as they fall.

Diddy's up A is a really good anti-air

Bananas, recovery, and special moves.

Now, onto Diddy's bananas. Bananas are amazing, and they open the door to some awesome set ups. If your time is spot on you can literally throw a banana, hit your opponent, pick up another banana, throw it at your opponent, hit a running A, pick up the first banana and throw it, hit a running A, and then repeat. Another set up I really like is to have a banana in front of your opponent and one behind them. Bananas will be a big part of any competitive players game.

Diddy's recovery is pretty good, although if you get down under the stage it can be hard to come back. His up B is also really easy to gimp it seems, but if used right, it can also Spike. Timing is very important here. Diddy can also use his forward b to recover, which is a sort of command grab that launches you horizontally. This move can also be canceled into a ninja kick, but after the kick Diddy is unable to use his up B.

Diddy's peanut gun is decent against the bigger characters in the game such as DK and Bowser. You can use it to zone for a while.

Tilts

Now, onto Diddy's tilts. His forward tilt is amazing and it outs really well. I love this move. His down tilt is some sort of clap, and I really haven't found many uses for it, although it does have some combo potential. His up smash is also good for combos.

New techniques:

Som and I noticed something that could be very useful for mind games with Diddy. He has what can best be described as a "pivot." To do this, make diddy run forward, and then turn him around. Keep repeating this and the outcome looks very fluid. There seems to be a lot you can use this for, but at this point I am still playing around with it. I hope to have some new videos up early next week and i'll try to demonstrate this as my description is probably a little vague.

I also found a cool thing with the wall cling. Diddy can wall cling on Final Destination right near the ledge. This could be very effective. A good Diddy player could wall cling there, do a forward B, and then up B to get back on the stage. It could help Diddy out at times when he would have no other chance of recovery.

I also found a nice little trick on Battlefield. Diddy can drop down, Forward B, jump up, and then wall cling on the purple orb thing. From this point, Diddy can forward B again and then use his up B to get back onto the stage. I am not sure what the use of this is yet but I think it's pretty cool. I doubt any other player can accomplish this.

Videos (New videos should be on their way early next week.)

Here are some vids of me playing. Thanks goes to Kyle_Wattula for for recoding, converting, and upping these vids.

Ben@MSU (Yoshi) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy) (winners bracket finals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvrPqlPqZk

Som (IC) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy) (before the tourney)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRXPa7WMRg

Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy) vs Som (Zelda) GRANDFINALS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBGLXBLc70

Kyle (DK) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy) (This fight has an excellent Toadstool Jump FTW)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEadPi2ALgc

Kyle (DK) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy)2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yumVGfyxi5A

Som (Jiggly) vs Jonathan_Meadows (Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7y3x2Ml6Fc

Note: I have vids of me against players other than Kyle and Som, but because a lot of the other players haven't had as much time with Brawl as us they just simply aren't that exciting. I hope to have some vids up early next week of me playing a good Ike player though. I think that is a match up a lot of people are eager to see.

AlgeKevin

Smash Rookie
So looking at your second post, Diddy is like Shiek from Melee in a way I'm guessing? I don't own the game yet.

ThePurpleCobra

Smash Apprentice
yeah i agree with the shiek thing, peanut popgun can edgeguard very similar to shieks needles and the back air and fair are similar in that they have AMAZING PRIORITY

phate

Smash Apprentice
From the videos I have seen, down b seems to be one of Diddy's most useful attacks. People can trip on the peels giving you a chance to hit them or you can throw it at them. You can also pick up banana's in Diddy's dash attack and jump so you are not vulnerable while you go to get them.

If you have not seen the videos of this diddy player Edd, you should check them out so you can see the way he plays him and maybe get some good ideas: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FOCRkDEH9o

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
The thing with the banana peels is that your opponent can also pick them up and throw them at you.

One good use I have found for the is edgeguarding though. Putting a banana peel right on the edge can buy you some extra time if your opponent lands on it

The Don

Smash Cadet
mmm im not sure how i feel about hte bananas i mean ppl have said they are really good and others really bad so im not sure however i cant wait to control the little Kong thats for sure

chaos 9

Smash Cadet
it seems that diddy has the best dash atk yet. and the banana peel looks just like a turnip to me. w/e im deffinitly maining diddy and he looks beastly.

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Alright, after playing a little more today, I have to update my initial impressions. Diddy's bannanas are not useless. In fact, they are really good. you can throw out a banana, jump in the air, catch it, and throw it at your opponent before you hit the ground. At this point you have a couple of options but I seriously enjoy using my running A into an up smash followed by a Forward Air.

Now, onto the peanuts. Again, they are better than I thought at first. uncharged shots can be very good for zoning and keeping some distance between you and your opponent.

Also, hopefully on Thursday i'll have some video footage of me playing to upload.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
No faith in the banana?! Blasphemy! 'Naners own. Edgegaurding, being able to catch and throw them before the hit the ground, making the opponent trip if hit by one, not just running over them, make them awesome. I have a few tourny vids that should be up soon from the other day. Even though I don't make much use of them cuz it was only my 2nd time playing the game, you'll get to see where the pontential will kick in once you get comfortable w/the char...

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
So, I played in a tourney today at my University and I won. It was a double elim tourney and no one beat me. I learned a lot of nice things and I should have vids up of my wins soon.

Diddy's bananas are really amazing. I really underestimated them at first. I used them to great effect in tonights tournament.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Man, the bananas own.
Edgeguarding is great because, if they try to avoid slipping and hug the edge, once the jump up they are suddenly vulnerable, which is great.

Even a cartwheel catching combo is great too, because you pick up the banana AND damage your opponent with less lag to throw the banana almost immeadiately.

The Peanut Popper has a SIGNIFICANT use, we just need to find it I guess.

--Legend

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
im just mad, cuz my friend has brawl but im too busy to go and play it right now. and he's always doing something. i just want to sit down and play brawl 1v1 for like a week straight so i can figure out as much as i can about diddy and relay the info here...peace

-hiro

link026

Smash Rookie
Also, i'd like to add that anyone who played Shiek in Melee but doesn't like her in Brawl should give Diddy a try.
Thank you for this, I loved Shiek in Melee, but I have heard that her fair in Brawl sucks, so I don't feel all that motivated to use her. I have been looking for an alternative speedy character to secondary (I really wanna main Ike) and it seems to be between Diddy and Toon Link. But since Ive never been good at the previous Links, I might give Diddy a shot.

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
I should have some vids up this weekend!! There is one fight in particular against a Snake player that I think everyone will enjoy. It was very competitive.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
One of the guys I played went to a recent Brawl tourny with some Melee pros and won first place so...
Actually, we didnt play in the tourney, I was put out by my brother (Snake) and Som's (IC). My name isn't going to give you any creditability around here Jonathan. People will be happy to see you vids, and the madness if Diddy runningA combo's.

Videos Sunday everyone.

I have 4 left to crop and resize, then The Youtube uploads.

Kyle~

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Also, just to specify, I didn't mean that I actually played Kyle in the tourney, just that he played in the tourney. I didn't mean any disrespect, I just wanted to prove that there was a decent level of competition there.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Anyone have any tips for fighting Ike players? I seem to be having a lot of trouble with that matchup
you can gimp ikes like crazy.

if there at a decent %, maybe around like 70 or so, maybe a lil more, bthrow or fthrow them off the stage, depending on where you are, just like camp the ledge or something...most of the time they will jump right away, fair/bair them after they jump, and then use overB or upB, depending on where you are to sweetspot the ledge. there overB cant hit you when your on the ledge and you can also just roll up.

there upB, if there far below you but right under the ledge would be like the only way they could get back, but that fair/bair from earlier should prevent them from ever getting that far under the stage vertically.

Top Bottom