• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Techniques, strategies, and impressions, (Updated with New info and vids!)

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Heh, actually, it just so happened that was the first time that IC player beat me, and we have had tons on matches. It just happened to be the one recorded lol.

but seriously, he is a great player. I fear for my Diddy every time we play lol

BBQ

Smash Apprentice
Well it doesnt seem the matchup would be very easy for diddy. [Hypothetical] against camping ICs that spam ice diddy cant approach with an aerial or dash b/c of shield grab. Whats a monkey supposed to do?

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
The best way to get in on that is to hold a banana, roll past his ice cubes until you are just out of his range, and then throw it at him. From this point you can tech chase and really rack up some damage.

Som

Smash Cadet
Well it doesnt seem the matchup would be very easy for diddy. [Hypothetical] against camping ICs that spam ice diddy cant approach with an aerial or dash b/c of shield grab. Whats a monkey supposed to do?
Seriously diddy owns, icy's hard. That match was one of the few matches I've been able to beat Jonathan's diddy with icy's. camping doesn't work for to long, ice cube damage is next to nothing and its just asking for a forward air. In this matchup the Icy tries to not stay in the same place (which you have to do with cubes) in order to avoid f-air.

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
Everyone check out the vid of me and Som in the finals.

also, any tips would be awesome. I am here to learn to play a better Diddy, just like everyone else! :D

BBQ

Smash Apprentice
He cant land hitting with the fair. You could just shield grab. It doesnt seem like youd be in trouble if you just stay on the ground and short hopping utilizing the shield grab against his cartwheel. (Jon in upcoming vids I want to see more grabbing from the dash) I get mad watching brawl vids where ppl arent doing it. Is it harder to do or what? less reward?

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
I do need to do more running grabs and it's something i've been working on. I actually had a whole session earlier where that was all I did.

Som

Smash Cadet
He cant land hitting with the fair. You could just shield grab. It doesnt seem like youd be in trouble if you just stay on the ground and short hopping utilizing the shield grab against his cartwheel. (Jon in upcoming vids I want to see more grabbing from the dash) I get mad watching brawl vids where ppl arent doing it. Is it harder to do or what? less reward?
you need to power shield in order to grab him from f-air, because when you shield it it pushes you away and makes it safe. Same for most running A's (depending on the spacing). I'm getting the powersheilding down to where I can grab a good number of them now, but Jonathon has been experimenting with banana's which makes thing more difficult to punish.

trust me this fight is really hard right now.

Phinny

Smash Rookie
Personally, I don't want diddy to be at the top of the tiers (i know that tires don exits as of now..) I wanna play Diddy because I liked all the old donkey kong games. I chose him as my main before brawl even came out in japan. I don't wanna be like the scumbags who only play highest tier chars to have it the easiest =/

BBQ

Smash Apprentice
I first decided to main diddy b/c I thought he was a cool character, and I dreamed of spamming the peanut gun. I mean c'mon hes a usable monkey. We've been teased with DK for 2 games and he sucked. The only complaint I have is that I wish he'd put a pair of pants on or something....

CurryLad

Smash Cadet
I love how in the second video, the one with ice climbers before tourney, at 4:15 you separated the ice climbers with a banana peel.

pesticide

Smash Lord
u could just camp as well, and use diddy's popgun. if u charge it up enough it's got pretty good range.

going in w/ nanners is always good too :p

BBQ

Smash Apprentice
no wai.... youd get hit with 2.7 ices on avg b4 you could get the peanut low enough. Also they might get a peanut to eat. Then theyll fight over it, and nana will get it and no health will be gained.

Som

Smash Cadet
We have got a good jiggly puff vs diddy match that was entertaining, maybe the game and watch one as well

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I want to see a Diddy vs marth matchup =[...

anyways after watching like 100 diddy matches I've noticed not much of his moves K.O well especialy on stages like Final destination ? anyone got vids of diddy K.Oing at low percentage ( yes I know brawl physics are different but other chars like marth can K.O at 80% while diddy seems to struggle at 150%)

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
I want to see a Diddy vs marth matchup =[...

anyways after watching like 100 diddy matches I've noticed not much of his moves K.O well especialy on stages like Final destination ? anyone got vids of diddy K.Oing at low percentage ( yes I know brawl physics are different but other chars like marth can K.O at 80% while diddy seems to struggle at 150%)
With his combos, you should have no trouble racking up damage.
His attacks are almost intentional really.

Be known that his uptilts, fair and especially his dsmash are very effective.

bceagles

Smash Cadet
Also, i'd like to add that anyone who played Shiek in Melee but doesn't like her in Brawl should give Diddy a try.
Wait, i hated sheik in melee, but i like diddy kong and his moves. He really doesnt seem like a sheik-melee-copy to me....

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Nice vids, not bad on the diddy but I have to say. Kyle seems like hes not such a great zelda, but his DK is looking good.

Faustum

Smash Rookie
Where all da vs. Ike videos at?

I appreciate the videos, btw. I like your use of bananas, better than most Diddys I've seen.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Question- Is Diddy's Usmash Invincible? Seriously, I can not recall him being hit-out of that move.

Top Bottom