• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Technology (more for beginners)

Daz Popert

Smash Cadet
Hey, my name is Daz and I'm here to show off some Diddy Kong tech. Everything in here worked for me and should work for anyone else playing diddy.

I know I'll get a lot of hate for making a character who's already good better but most of this stuff is very common Diddy main knowledge.

**HOO-HUH? (not a true combo, strictly meant for mind games [only the up b first and second hits are a true combo])**

Grab > Pummel > Grab Realese > Up B [hit 1 (All Precents)] [hit 2 (under 75)] 32-123

-Great for spacing and playing mind games on your opponent.

D-Tilt > Up B (under 60) 21-35

-really just for mix-ups and should be used with caution

[Sheild (tap jump on)] > Up B [hit 1 (All Precents)] [hit 2 (under 75)] 29

-Only good to rack up damage

**Barrel Boost/Blast/Trump/Banzai/Spring**

(Boost)Up B angled to the bottom left or right while on the ground

-Great for up b out of shield, retreating and movement

(Blast)Up B angled to the bottom left or right while on the ground then quickly changed to down when the ledge is reached

-Hits under the ledge grab for people recovering low (great against characters who have trouble sweet spotting ledge [ex. Bowser Jr., Megaman, Sonic])

(Trump)Up B onto ledge

-If you have trouble normally ledge trumping this is a good option because you can control his up b very well (hits people who retreat to ledge with up b and also it hits people who have trouble sweet spotting ledge)

(Banzai)A Very Risky Tactic where you go to the ledge and max charge up b and hit opponents off the stage while coming back

-A cool way that isn't too risky once mastered. once you do it you want to quickly curve your stick toward the stage.

-If done exactly at 0 (180, -180) degrees it is very challenging to come back, but done at 45 (135) degrees and do it correctly you are almost guaranteed to come back

(Banzai v2)A Very Risky Tactic where you jump off the stage to kill your opponent with up b and still recover

-Very good after opponent double jumps, almost guaranteed a kill at any percent higher than 50.

(Spring)When you get spiked (must have double jump) wait for the hit stun to ware out and quickly jump and use up b you will Spring up

-Great for recovering because you can now recover low. this also catches people off guard and can actually stage spike them if they continue to hold onto the ledge

**HOO-HAA-HUH? (~31%)**

D-Throw > U-Air > [U-Air(Low Precents)] > Up B

-Not a true combo but great for getting extra damage and easy to retreat with up b.

**HOO-RAA! (~23%) (~30-50% [with D-Air lock]) confirmed works on Battlefield, Duck hunt, Smash Ville, Lylat, Town and City**

D-Throw > D-Air

-Nice mix-up. If over a platform when you down air and they don't tech you will get a D-Air Lock (can only be performed at very low percents and is similar to a jab lock) This will allow you to drop under the platform and go for and up air or stay on the platform and smash attack

**Pop Lock It Drop It/Stop It (PLI[D/S]I)**

*This is mainly used to b-reverse

(PLISI)While grounded holding a banana if you use your pop gun it will cancel it and throw the banana (cancel with Z)

-Very good for baiting people to come in and for mind games

-{Variation}If you don't have a banana you can grab or spot dodge out of it

-{Variation}You can cancel it with shield so you can jump out of shield instantly and drop your banana so if you're under a platform it can be a nice setup

(PLIDI)While in the Air holding a banana if you use your pop gun it will cancel it and drop the banana (with Z)

-Good for baiting and mind games

-{Variation}You can instantly grab the banana back with an aerial or you can drop it and pick it up

-{Variation}You can instantly shield once you hit the ground (so if you think someone will go for a running up smash it's very good defense [use banana for extra defense])

-{Variation}If you're quick, you can drop the banana, let it land just in case they chase you, pick it up with an air dodge right before you land and throw it (not instant). this can all be done with Z (if you want to cover all options you can also N-air to pick it up)

-{Variation}With no banana you can cancel out your pop gun, if you press the shield button before you take out your popgun you can attack right out of the pop gun canceling (you cancel the gun with z)

**Kamikaze Kick/Calmikaze Flip**

(Kamikaze)Side B kick off stage (you cannot up b after doing this until you hit the ground)

-This should only be used if your opponent is almost about to die and only has the option to recover. also, if you're at a very high percent (rage)

(Calmikaze)Normal side b off stage as a way of movement so you can either bait an air dodge or just go for a F-Air or
D-Air

-Very safe and can be used all the time but better at high percents, I recommend not to double jump before doing this because you may need the second jump to either get back or spike

**MFA/MFASA (Mufasa) (Monkey Flip Accelerated [Smash Attack])**

(MFA)If you Side-B off of a platform(or at a platform height) you can then hold down left or right and you will be accelerated in that direction (only works to the left [very minimal when done to the right])

-Very good for retreating/Baiting

(MFASA)Exactly like MFA but you can do it in both directions but only forward and not backward (however you can change directions if you tap the opposite way right before you up smash)

-A sort of Dacus replacement

-You can also grab with this technique

**JC Glide Tossing**

Glide tossing allows you to move while tossing a banana

You can perform this by dashing, pressing the jump button and then pressing the c-stick in the direction you want to throw it

the other way of doing it is by dashing, pressing the jump button, face your left stick in the direction you want to throw it and then press a

Glide tossing allows for double the distance you would use for a dash toss

**True Combo**

If someone is on a platform above you, you can hit them with a banana and do an up b for a true combo

**String Extending**

(HOO-HAHAHA!) After performing a HOO-HAA if you notice your opponent is retreating in hit stun then side b over and hit him with another U-Air. Be careful of the air dodge or counter because if you fly at them they'll probably do it.

**Attacking Shield**

+I recommend using all of these with a banana to increase your options.

Option 1: Piviot F-Tilt

-Covers Roll and Normal Out Of Shield

Option 2: Grab

-Covers Shield

Option 3: D-Tilt

-Covers normal out of shield, Covers shield poke and Covers Spot Dodge (you can do anything after opponent
spot dodges if you D-tilt at the same time)

Option 4: Piviot Grab

-Covers Roll Read

Option 5: PLISI

-Covers normal aproaches making your enemy either retreat or get out of shield for picking up banana

Option 6: Monkey Flip

-Covers Roll, Shield, Normal Out Of Shield, Can Cover Spot dodge (depending on your distance[if your really
close to them and they chase you have a free bait])

**Monkey Flip ledge cancel**

*when I mantion to slow down your monkey flip it means hold up
>(Battlefield)

-On either ledge side you can short hopmonkey flip and cancel on the farther part of the bottom platform

-On either platform (more consistant on the right one)when on the inner part of the platform, if you short hop monkey flip you can reach the other sides platform end or the opposite side of the top platofrm or the ledge of battlefield

-On the top platform at each edge you can get the edge of the bottom platforms on the opposite side with a slow monkey flip

-In the middle of battlefield you can monkey flip to either edge

>(Final Destination [FD])

-In the middle of FD you can monkey flip to either edge

>(Smashville)

-Close to the middle of Smashville you can monkey flip to either edge

-You can do it multiple places on the platofrm while it's moving but it'd take to long to list and find them all
>(Town and City)

-Close to the middle of Smashville you can monkey flip to either edge

[First Transformation]

-You can go off of the left and rigth platforms and cancel off of the middle when it's at a certain hieght

-When the middle platform is at its lowest you can monkey flip off of the opposite side of it and hit cancel the ledge

[Second Transformation]

-You can go off of the inside of the platform and once it hits the middle you can do a shortend monkey flip to hit ledge

-You can go off of the outer of the platform and cancel on the opposite platform when both platforms meet in the middle

>(Lylat) *tip D-tilt is very good for edge gaurding aginst people with straight up recovery

-Middle platform (opposite side your going for) can cancel on the outer platforms

-Somewher Under the middle platform (depends on how the stage is tilted) you can side b to ledge (if its tilted the way you wanna go you have to go to the outer of under the platform)

-on the inner part of the outside platforms you can can on the middle platform
>(Duck Hunt)

-A bit beside the tree you can monkey flip cancel the ledge

-A bit beside the bush you can monkey flip cancel the ledge

>(Castle Seige)

[First Transformation]

-On top of the slope you can get the left ledge

-On the top of the right platform if you do a shortened side be while dropping through the ledge you can cancel
on the far let platforms ledge

-On the left platform ner the right side of it you can cancel with a shotened on the opposite side ledge

[Second Transformation]

-On the outside of the middle two platform you can monkey flip cancel on that same platform

-The edge of the curtain things both go to the opposite side platform (not really a cancel)

[Third Transformation]

-Tilted right, in the middle of the bump you can cancel on the lower ledge, at the edge of the bump you can get
the other edge

-Normal, Close to the middle of the last transformation you can monkey flip to the right edge, on top of the
bump (closer to the right) you can get the left edge

-Tilted Left, On the right side of the slope you can cancel on the left edge,

>(Halberd)

[First Transformation] & [Second Transformation]

-You can cancel your monkey flip on the same platform from doing it on the far sides (not exactly at the edge of
the platform)

-Underneath nearing the end of the platform (on both sides) you can short hop monkey flip to get ledges

>(Delfino)

-Hell no i aint doin this ****

**Never give up!**

Diddy (with a fully charged Up B) can go under FD
He can also do a monkey flip to make it to the other side.
He Has the "best" recovery in the game if done right

-Villager obviously has the best but diddy's is much more flexible the only downside is charging (imagine if you didn't have to charge his up)

Also remember you can Wall Cling!

That's all the tech I know, if you know anything else feel free to tell me!

Also I will probably be doing one of these for marth if i find anything cool.

Also if there are any editing errors please inform me!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Nice idea but I just want to point that pretty much all the upb start you said at the start is incredibly unsafe and pointless unless you're using upb2 because the reward is too low for the risk. I don't understand why you'd risk using upb in those situations when other moves are easier to land, safer and have a higher reward on hit. Also most of the offstage upb tactics you mentioned, like charging it offstage to try gimp a recovery are just asking you to get gimped yourself. Diddy's recovery is terrible for gimping because it has no priority so if you get hit by anything you die.

You mention some good stuff like sideb ledge cancelling dthrow-dair being good at low percent (dthrow-dair-fastfall-utilts-uairs is legit). But you missed out on a lot of important stuff too. Can't list all the tech now but I might later.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks for the feedback! I actually originally made this as a way of helping people mix-up there style and things they never knew (why it's beginner). as for the gimping most people will air dodge (in my experience) when you go out so if you read that it's nice to kill people easily and get back it's obviously not the best option but it's mostly just to mix things up.
Good players won't airdodge when they see you upb offstage. They'll try time an aerial on your recovery because they know if they hit you you're dead.

Thing is a lot of your upb mix ups are just mix ups for the sake of mixing it up when you have better options that are more likely to hit even if they're more predictable. Plus they have a higher reward. The only useful upb mixups are recvoery mixups. For example when you're recovering sideb at stage level-jump-uncharged upb sideways onto the stage is a good mixup to go over a below-stage gimp attempt. That's an upb mix up where you don't necessarily have better options that are always more likely to work.

I think you should just remove the upb section to be honest. Beginners are the last people who should be trying to use upb mix ups offensively, because they need to learn fundamentals first. They're also the most likely to read this and think that those upb strats are good, which they're not.

Last edited:

BnW Lock

Smash Cadet
This is so unorganized like wow dude i can't ****ing read this did you even try

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
This seems like a mix of some decent stuff and a mix of some bad stuff. Overall needs a bit of a re-format. Also just to touch on the up-b stuff again. It shouldn't be a mix-up if d-tilt leads into something much better and is guaranteed (significantly more).

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
This is a very good post. Not to be that guy but if you reformat it and make it look a lot better it would be perfect.

Top Bottom