• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Whining/Defense Thread

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
No, Olimar is just a good character in general. Rosalina gameplay is the worst to watch in this game though because of how sluggish her moves look and how passive she plays, hide behind your shield and abuse the absurd range your moves get-no need to go in there and attack! :/

At least Diddy is fast on his kills and give some interesting matches here and there(Zero vs M2K), Sonic you can feel how annoying he is even if you're just watching, but he can cause some interesting matches.
Sorry, I meant specifically in the matchups against the numerous Diddy players. I think Olimar is definitely slept on as fast as his overall utility is concerned.

Rosalina and Sonic are boring. One of the top 4 matches at a local a few weeks ago was Rosalina v Sonic and it was borderline unwatchable.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
So here's a question:

Can we unsticky this and let it drop? I feel like having a thread dedicated to complaints with all of the other ATs and Advanced Information is giving visitors the message that any whining about Diddy is justified.

I propose we unsticky this, and lock/direct complainers to find this thread in the subforum history.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I think all that we need is a balance patch to come with Mewtwo-
give about 10-20 frames more lag on Diddy's down throw, make his aerials have less knockback, make his roll more laggy, less safe, and over all more punishable (and do the same for many other characters rolls as well; rolling is too good an option in this game :ohwell:)

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Unless I'm beating up :4sheik:, :4duckhunt:, or :4lucina:, nothing feels as satisfying as getting to watch this:

Don't deny it people, you know you want to :seuss:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
For those who play Diddy because you play to win, if Diddy Kong is nerfed down to C tier and WiiFit somehow gets buffed to S+ Tier would you switch? What is the next character you'll use to exploit?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As I posted in my own thread, it's not Diddy's power that I have a problem with so much as the fact that our enemies, such as Sakurai and Mew2King, are willing and able to weaponize it against our game and our community.

At the very least, we should start trying to do something about that.

For those who play Diddy because you play to win, if Diddy Kong is nerfed down to C tier and WiiFit somehow gets buffed to S+ Tier would you switch? What is the next character you'll use to exploit?
As someone who actually likes WFT, I'd actually be upset if this happened.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Diddy only really needs to be made lighter to compensate for his speed and fast attacks, because currently Diddy seems able to simply overwhelm every heavyweight on the roster easily and takes little in the way of punishment for being daring because of his good recovery; it's not fun to be a Bowser managing to almost make it back to the stage only to be gimped by a Diddy who decided to throw himself at you for a gimp because he knows he can get back while you can't.

If Diddy was around the same weight as, say, Falco or Pikachu, than he'd be less absurdly good; he'd still be a big threat, but he wouldn't dominate the competetive scene, and heavyweights would have an easier time dealing with him. Diddy's not horrendously OP, he's just too good. There's no massive, game-changing issue with Diddy; you don't have a problem recovering, you have a huge array of offensive options and you're so fast that defense is easy to manage. If Diddy had to worry about being sent flying sooner than other characters, than that would balance him out fairly well without punting him into C-Tier or lower.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'm agree Diddy should be lightier, but... diddy has a good recovery? really? I'm playing totally wrong, then :(

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm agree Diddy should be lightier, but... diddy has a good recovery? really? I'm playing totally wrong, then :(
It's gimpable, of course, but it's definitely one of the better recoveries; the Monkey Flip makes for good horizontal recovery and the Rocketbarrel Pack is also pretty good for getting vertical distance. It's not "zomg best recovery in the game" material, but it's good enough to let him gimp recoveries more effectively, especially on larger foes.

It does have a limited effective range, though; but that's about the only limit on it. :p

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I dislike Diddy and I hope he will get nerfs in the future:
basically, he has everything that a characters would love to have: Speed and Power in terms of attacks and character, Great Recovery (with the UpB tech), Combos and is just perfect in weight to survive stuff yet not to heavy.

the first stuff I want Diddy to nerf is his UAir since that attack is too fast and too powerful!
I want it either to be nerf that it isnt spam-able and has some kind of lag after the attack or that it is less power in it to have a speedy attack. they could give the Dthrow some more ending lag, but that isnt necessary.
I dont mind the HOO-HAH as a combo, but I do mind the power and speed of his UAir

second thing I want to nerf would that he would be either a tech character with speed but not that powerful or a tad slower (animation wise and/or lags) and keep the same power. he is too great to have both!

diddy isnt unbeatable, but he is too great when he has all those Speed, Power, Combos ect.
imaging how OP sheik would be if sheik has Diddys Power to her fast attacks or how OP King Dedede would be with Diddy Speed on ground, air and animations with "no" lag

Spatman

Smash Ace
Diddy without his up-air should become mid-tier or lower. Sheik, Rosalina, Sonic, ZSS, Yoshi ecc. who are, the children of the king??
instead it would be many more reasonable if the effect of consuming the move spamming it would be much more effective. In this way hoo-haa would be a killing combo only if diddy doesn't spam it. So nobody would use it too often, that is the only real problem of diddy imo

diddy without this spam would be a great, awesome and very funny character

Squiiidzoid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5026-5302-6885
haha SmashCorner on youtube just released a video on youtube of Diddy Advanced Technques, you guys r screwed now :p. they include completely stopping you from spiking diddy, he just shoots back up and then you get an explosion to the face, and a super easy and lagless and spammable b reverse. also more advantages of diddy are his tiny hitbox and his huge range, and dont forget how you can't spotdodge his forwardsmash and it has practically no ending lag. also he has a 0 to 50 combo. Praise Diddy!

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
haha SmashCorner on youtube just released a video on youtube of Diddy Advanced Technques, you guys r screwed now :p. they include completely stopping you from spiking diddy, he just shoots back up and then you get an explosion to the face, and a super easy and lagless and spammable b reverse. also more advantages of diddy are his tiny hitbox and his huge range, and dont forget how you can't spotdodge his forwardsmash and it has practically no ending lag. also he has a 0 to 50 combo. Praise Diddy!
if that doesnt make sakurai to nerf him, I dont know what else can

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Diddy only really needs to be made lighter to compensate for his speed and fast attacks, because currently Diddy seems able to simply overwhelm every heavyweight on the roster easily and takes little in the way of punishment for being daring because of his good recovery; it's not fun to be a Bowser managing to almost make it back to the stage only to be gimped by a Diddy who decided to throw himself at you for a gimp because he knows he can get back while you can't.

If Diddy was around the same weight as, say, Falco or Pikachu, than he'd be less absurdly good; he'd still be a big threat, but he wouldn't dominate the competetive scene, and heavyweights would have an easier time dealing with him. Diddy's not horrendously OP, he's just too good. There's no massive, game-changing issue with Diddy; you don't have a problem recovering, you have a huge array of offensive options and you're so fast that defense is easy to manage. If Diddy had to worry about being sent flying sooner than other characters, than that would balance him out fairly well without punting him into C-Tier or lower.
His weight isn't an issue because he's easily gimpable offstage anyway.

His only 'real' problem is how easy he is to pick up and be a threat with, due to his good frame data hitboxes. He's definitely one of the top characters, but he'll drop from the #1 spot when people start camping him properly and exploiting his recovery.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
For those who play Diddy because you play to win, if Diddy Kong is nerfed down to C tier and WiiFit somehow gets buffed to S+ Tier would you switch?
What is the next character you'll use to exploit?
Ride or die with diddy. I made the mistake of giving up on Pit (bcuz i didnt like his changes) after him being my main in brawl aside from diddy and i started to pick Pit back up in smash4 and its like falling in love all over again. I shall never abandon my mains again.

if that doesnt make sakurai to nerf him, I dont know what else can
Just like they can find Diddy tech, they can also find better techs for other characters. Diddy will never get nerfed and its far to early in the game for him to stay #1 forever. Its like i tell every salty diddy hater (not implying that youre a salty diddy hater) just gimp the chimp!

P.S i know hes a monkey not a chimp

Last edited by a moderator:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
I was feeling curious today and played some level 9 AIs for the first time in quite a while, to test out the feel of the "new" 3ds. I normally just use the occasional bit of time in training mode to test combos, but I was curious to see who I'd lose the fewest stocks with in a 5 stock match. So I went through with every character I've even had as a main, secondary, tertiary, or whatever, embarrassing myself here and there with some actual losses as I SDed... nothing too unusual, I suppose. After some 1 stock gaps with Luigi, Yoshi, and Shiek, some losses mostly with characters I don't actually play like Mario, Falcon, and Lucina, and a few matches with 1-3 stocks left for Robin and Little Mac... I decided to try Diddy Kong for the first time in about two months.

...Apparently, AIs have no idea how to handle Diddy Kong, because I 5 stocked one match and have yet to lose despite my having no actual experience with Diddy. It's just AIs, granted, but the whole 'powershields are almost irrelevant' thing seems to be key, as that's partly why AIs would normally screw up one's good habits like jab-boxing shields and the like. Hell, I won a game after SDing thrice without being hit just because I got distracted with learning how to even recover with rocketbarrel pack without clipping the lip of the stage (the sweetspot is a bit odd to get used to).

I mean, I have my mechanics down, so the basics of 'down B, hop for banana catch, use popgun, side B, and banana throws to approach for a free grab, then get free upairs... Or, barring that, literally any other moves. I knew his methods so poorly that my only offstage gimping was from footstools, yet he felt a bit too intuitive.

Always enjoyed Diddy Kong racing and using him in DK64, but Brawl Diddy's feel just never hooked me... then again, neither did Brawl prior to Project M, but I could never play that online properly. Still, having that much control over the pace of the match feels overwhelmingly different to what I'd apparently gotten used to in Smash 4. Might end up reading up on Diddy to see about testing the waters in some friendlies, at this rate... I can already hear the rage...

Odaroloc

Smash Cadet
NNID
OriginalRave
The only nerfs I could agree with would be uair and his weight. He's already dropped to #3 on the EventHubs tier list, so people are starting to realize he's not the most OP character. I don't want the meta to change much since it's still a new game. With Mewtwo, there might be some slight balance changes, but instead of nerfing characters, we should be buffing the low tiers (DK, for example).

ishaboi

Better than ZeRo
I'm a diddy main who switched to ness bc of constant whining and complaining from other players. Should I have succumbed to the crying? Or did I make am decent decision

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm a diddy main who switched to ness bc of constant whining and complaining from other players. Should I have succumbed to the crying? Or did I make am decent decision
Shouldn't let other people affect who you play. Especially if you find Ness less fun than Diddy. Besides Diddy is likely getting nerfed soon anyway.

ishaboi

Better than ZeRo
Shouldn't let other people affect who you play. Especially if you find Ness less fun than Diddy. Besides Diddy is likely getting nerfed soon anyway.
If you found diddy fun, then no, it wasn't a good decision
I've been having more fun with ness tbh. I won more with diddy, but I find ness more fun to play. And I finally whooped the person who had been talking trash in two sets with ness. So satisfying.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It seems everyone saying Diddy's fine and doesn't need a nerf is a diddy main and thus bias as all hell.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It seems everyone saying Diddy's fine and doesn't need a nerf is a diddy main and thus bias as all hell.
Well then we could just say that everyone that is calling for nerfs doesn't main him and is bias as hell too

Last edited:

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
Now that Diddy has been nerfed, can we now remove this thread? It's kind of an eyesore for me whenever I see this when I go to the Diddy Forums

Top Bottom