• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #7~ Falco Lombardi

DFEAR

Smash Hero
both o.o

i have been hit through it and sometimes during it the phantasm wont go through its really gimmicky. i think it depends on the frames and distance of the phantasm.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I think I'm the only person on the planet that thinks this is slightly in Diddy's favor, so go ahead an put down the ratio as you see fit. In the meantime, I will upload a small series of videos that showcase some baiting tricks and ways to zone and punish his most common match-up resources (Falco Phantasm, Reflector, and the chain-throw). These combined elements are things the general populace currently recognizes as common features that tend to dominate Diddy, but hopefully I can get some of you to jump on my boat once you see how a little bit of creativity can neutralize even things that were previously thought to be safe and unpunishable.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I think I'm the only person on the planet that thinks this is slightly in Diddy's favor, so go ahead an put down the ratio as you see fit. In the meantime, I will upload a small series of videos that showcase some baiting tricks and ways to zone and punish his most common match-up resources (Falco Phantasm, Reflector, and the chain-throw). These combined elements are things the general populace currently recognizes as common features that tend to dominate Diddy, but hopefully I can get some of you to jump on my boat once you see how a little bit of creativity can neutralize even things that were previously thought to be safe and unpunishable.
i seriously want to be on that boat. thats the type of information we need to help the matchup get better generally :3. ty thien make the videos HD and HQ too =P

pastaboy

Smash Champion
good **** hanson, cant wait to see those vids. i personalty love the falco match up, they all play the same LOL and it is so easy to bait them into using the reflector.

Gnes

Smash Master
Falco definitely wins this OMG hanson. I'm going to see if i can record me vs Larry.
So basically when u lose from trying to camp a falco, ull prove that camping a falco isnt a good idea >.>. Nuff said.

LOL. Jabbing beats the Phantasm.
Diddy has way to many ways to beat phantasm. U could just grab him out of it but most people are too lazy to get good at that.

My creativity makes it so falco CANT RECOVER. Ask sethlon son.
This matchup is even...all falco has is his cg. After that if ur still having problems with reflector GG. Everytime has pretty much been said about this matchup.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
No offense but none of you guys play against larry...you guys are all expecting him to phantasm through you,he'll cancel the fantasm into a jab and chain grab @ low percents and even at high percents he'll cancel his phantoms into other things,he doesn't play this matchup like other falcos and I've never beaten him with my diddy,ever.ill call him today and try and get u guys some matches to watch b4 he leaves for genesis if it helps

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I definitely don't see why this is 6:4 or even 55:45 in Falco's favor when we have the tools to get past all of his large parts of his game.

We (along with a lot of characters) can get past his camping game with full hop monkey flips and powershields, we can bait reflectors and punish them with a monkey flip kick, we (along with everyone) can punish a CG by SDIing and teching it, and we can avoid it more by placing bananas. We can punish his recovery well, he's combo bait because of his fast-fallness, and he has a somewhat weak spot when you're above or below him.

Bold statement alert: Maybe it's just my lack of matchup experience, and maybe I'm just flat out wrong, but I find the Wolf MU to be harder than Falco.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
No offense but none of you guys play against larry...you guys are all expecting him to phantasm through you,he'll cancel the fantasm into a jab and chain grab @ low percents and even at high percents he'll cancel his phantoms into other things,he doesn't play this matchup like other falcos and I've never beaten him with my diddy,ever.ill call him today and try and get u guys some matches to watch b4 he leaves for genesis if it helps
None taken, but while we're still using poorly-constructed arguments, your boy Larry's never played against me. It also doesn't really break my heart that he's beating Diddy players I've never even heard of before, either.

I live, eat and breathe with two of my crew-mates who main Falco, and Phantasm gimmicks are the least of my concerns.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
lol alright well goodluck @ genesis idk how seeding is gonna go between other states with brackets or whatnot but if u guys play each other id like to watch that match and see how you or adhd/alpha do.
regardless ill try to get vids b4 genesis if i can

Gnes

Smash Master
He can cancel it with whatever he wants...it wont matter when a peanut/naner goes flying right as he starts it...also...learn to grab him out of it. Phantasm should not be the problem u have with this matchup...by far

DUB

Smash Lord
He can cancel it with whatever he wants...it wont matter when a peanut/naner goes flying right as he starts it...also...learn to grab him out of it. Phantasm should not be the problem u have with this matchup...by far
Mhmm. I get excited when I see a Falco phantasm. If he doesn't get the ledge then he just got 20+ damage.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
eh, i guess we can wait til after this weekend to put a final marker on things,now that i think about it,do u think genesis would be a good tournament to reevaluate matchup ratios in general? afterall, a matchup ratio is suppose to show the likelihood of winning/losing at top play,and genesis is going to be the pinnacle of smash tournaments to date,so if we have marth at 6:4 and at genesis diddys are beating marths,then the ratios need to be readjusted? obviously we're not gonna change every single match up,but maybe certain matches arent as good/bad as we thought? idk just a random thought

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
eh, i guess we can wait til after this weekend to put a final marker on things,now that i think about it,do u think genesis would be a good tournament to reevaluate matchup ratios in general? afterall, a matchup ratio is suppose to show the likelihood of winning/losing at top play,and genesis is going to be the pinnacle of smash tournaments to date,so if we have marth at 6:4 and at genesis diddys are beating marths,then the ratios need to be readjusted? obviously we're not gonna change every single match up,but maybe certain matches arent as good/bad as we thought? idk just a random thought
Well MU Discussions are usually always supposed to updated after a cycle. MU discussions will never end. Genesis is not even going to be as "Relevent or Standarized as a Character" [on west side :D] as people think anyways. Furthermore I don't believe Genesis will have ANY impact on futer SSBB gaming other than SHOULD or SHOULD WE NOT ban Metaknight :D

Sometimes is not. . .
Character > Character or Character < Character
but
Person playing the Character > Character

example:
Snake < Metaknight
Ally > Metaknight

IC < Metaknight
Lain > Metaknight

tocador

Smash Lord
Diddy has lunch while falco has only lasers/hight tech reflector. Its obviously diddy's adv.

/joke

After having some mad MU experience in the past time, i can say its even, pretty much because its a waiting/punishing game for falco, while we approach and if we get a hit, GG for him.

Whereas it could kinda be 55-45 for falco because our best stages as kinda like his best stages too, so maybe we kinda loose in that way.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Basically it sounds like a patient game when it comes to the whole reflector and SHDL thing Falco has.

I think stages with platforms would be the best to fight Falco on rather the occasional FD b/c:

a) Itz more movement space than just running around on flat ground. Not to mention you can utilize all the area around instead of just flatland.

b) Don't keep getting shield pressured from the SHDL thanx to the plats.

c) You can get around the camping as well as the reflector.

win_ftw

Smash Cadet

b) Don't have keep getting shield pressured from the SHDL thanx to the plats.

this can help against getting chain grabbed too. my best friend plays an extremely campy falco, shdling until he gets a shield grab or a grab through my shields.

Chex-Mex

Smash Rookie
A Falco that can use bananas is probably better than Diddy. Falco's lasers go across the entire stage, and he can follow them up with a BDACUS, or just a regular DACUS. You can choose to get hit in the face and avoid the DACUS, or shield the laser, and try and break your habit of releasing the shield after the laser. Falco's back air *****, as well as his jab. The jab picks up thrown bananas quite well, scoots him forward for excellent spacing, and leads to a grab. Not to mention the start up lag (or lack there of) pretty much ensures that you either need extreme confidence in your approach, or attack his back, which is also not guaranteed success, but gives you more options. Falco does have a reflector, making obvious banana approaches useless. Combine that with a falco that can instant ground throw/instant throw, and you're facing a diddy killer. BDACUSs OOSD are scary too. In order for a diddy to best a falco, you have to be one step ahead of him with your bananas, watch your spacing, and make sure to NEVER get into a rhythm. The second you become predictable is the second falco WILL **** you. I def say that a diddy without his bananas is at a disadvantage to a good falco player. I say the matchup is

60-40 falco.

watch my vids for more proof.
youtube.com/weplaysmash
(old vids, sorry. Better ones coming.)

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
A Falco that can use bananas is probably better than Diddy. Falco's lasers go across the entire stage, and he can follow them up with a BDACUS, or just a regular DACUS. You can choose to get hit in the face and avoid the DACUS, or shield the laser, and try and break your habit of releasing the shield after the laser. Falco's back air *****, as well as his jab. The jab picks up thrown bananas quite well, scoots him forward for excellent spacing, and leads to a grab. Not to mention the start up lag (or lack there of) pretty much ensures that you either need extreme confidence in your approach, or attack his back, which is also not guaranteed success, but gives you more options. Falco does have a reflector, making obvious banana approaches useless. Combine that with a falco that can instant ground throw/instant throw, and you're facing a diddy killer. BDACUSs OOSD are scary too. In order for a diddy to best a falco, you have to be one step ahead of him with your bananas, watch your spacing, and make sure to NEVER get into a rhythm. The second you become predictable is the second falco WILL **** you. I def say that a diddy without his bananas is at a disadvantage to a good falco player. I say the matchup is

60-40 falco.

youtube.com/weplaysmash
LOLBDACUS SPAM

hehe, no srsly, if you get predictable vs any char, you'll get *****

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman

60-40 falco.

youtube.com/weplaysmash
LOL those matches were just full of diddy and falco gimmicks. nice boost upsmashes at 30% i guess. LMAO this post is too good.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I found a way to make it easier for us to gimp falco. All you have to do is wait for him to use his side b. If you side b a falco and you are facing away from him, even though it sounds weird, you will grab him out of his side b. If done right, you will take no damage. do you guys think this could change the MU?

sai_:)

Smash Ace
you would actually be better off charging your peanut gun with a banana in hand. then after he's hit with the peanut toss the banana out there just to be sure. if he doesnt die by then you can just edgehog him at that point. So being able to gimp his recovery doesnt really change the MU much

Top Bottom