• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between forward+B and down+B ?

Saunic

Smash Rookie
Just as the title of the thread says.

The only difference I noticed is that Sonic cannot launch his down+B while in the air, on the contrary of the forward+B, which makes me think that it is useless. Still, I'm curious about the differences between the damage dealt and the knockback given by those two moves.

What are your thoughts ?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Just as the title of the thread says.

The only difference I noticed is that Sonic cannot launch his down+B while in the air, on the contrary of the forward+B, which makes me think that it is useless. Still, I'm curious about the differences between the damage dealt and the knock back given by those two moves.

What are your thoughts ?
They do the same damage and nether have any real knock back. The only real difference is that the over+b does a small hop when you use it. You can use both of them in the air.

This is only my own opinion, but I personally think its easier to combo out of over+B.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
This is my personal opinion, so...

The side B not only grants the possiblity of a combo via the jump cancel, but it doubles as a recovery and you have control over it that similar moves like Yoshi's Egg Roll anf Jiggly's Rollout could only dream about.

The possible use for Down B would be on wake up if the opponent doens't tech, and I believe you can be somewhat random with it because unlike Rollout, Sonic just goes right by them, so the possiblity of a counter attack is less. in fact, I think it was done intentionally to give a different strategy with moves like this, and Sonic overall seems to have the best spin type moves compared to other characters.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
um...you can jump out of BOTH of them and BOTH vcan be done in midair.

there are only two differences:

you charge side B by holding B, You charge Down B by Tapping B repeatedly.

You get a small hop at the begining of the side B, down B doesn't pop... that's it. other than that, they are Identical... both have some uses that are different, but essentially the only benefit of having 2 variations is that it's effectively half as affected by move decay... but I'd much rather have a solid replacement move... like maybe throwing a golden ring.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Another small difference is that you can cancel the charge on the down+B so that you don't move. Its a slow cancel though and it really doesn't matter. Just throwing it out there. =)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah... that's true... but it's quicker just to jump out of either spin to cancel them

J18

Smash Journeyman
i don't know why the hell they did this to his special moves. it's embarassing

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sonic's specials are good. Don't look at the moves. Look at thier PROPERTIES!!!!

Saunic

Smash Rookie
Well, now my mind is clear :

- side B does a small jump first, and can be jump cancelled, but if you cancel it while in air, you cannot double jump, since it uses your second jump. I find it hard to use on an opponent on the ground because of the jump and of the risks you're taking (you may lose your second jump)

- down B keeps you on the ground and is easier to combo with the jump cancel, but you can also jump cancel it in the air if you still haven't used your second jump.

BTW, down B is cancellable if you stop mashing B or if you stop holding down the stick, but side B can also be cancelled by jumping while charging (hold B, and then, jump with the stick, or if you're playing in a weird way, with the X/Y button). It is a better cancel, because you can attack the opponent, and you're less punishable than stop charging with the down+B. It is not possible to do that with the down+B because if you stop mashing B or release the stick, Sonic stops charging.

Finally, both moves are usable, you just have to weigh the pros and cons and use them efficiently.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
^^^Reread this guy's post until you understand the differences between Sonic's b moves.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
^^^Reread this guy's post until you understand the differences between Sonic's b moves.
I read his post and realized he has never PLAYED sonic and that half of what he has said is incorrect and useless.

the only difference is in how they charge up and that side B has a hop at the start.

generally I get side B out faster because charging down B takes a bit more time. just pressing side B you will at least go. if you press down B without doing any charging sonic will just stand up.

canceling with jump is right, but that canceling by waiting is worthless. you'd have to wait 2 or 3 seconds to stop charging for no gain. just let it go and turn around or something.

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
Can you damage your opponent with down b while charging it up? Like if they were to walk into sonic while he is in place and spinning.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Can you damage your opponent with down b while charging it up? Like if they were to walk into sonic while he is in place and spinning.
sadly, no... those blue spikes are apparently just for decoration... not buzzsaw teeth.

I favor the down-b to the side b myself

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Don't look at how much they're similar as a bad thing. I know the word is overused and seldom even used in the right context, but I'll say it here: "mindgames".

When you have space between you and your opponent (I'm talking on 1v1 terms here) you can charge a move and see what they do. Mix it up everytime you use it, so they can't tell if you will be hopping or not. They may rush you, or stay back and charge a smash attack. That little hop can actually be a bigger factor than its given credit for.

Sonic, unless unbearably unusable, will most definitely by my main. I've been begging for him since the Dreamcast died. I still have yet to use him, but I'll be trying this alternation between the two to see if it does, in fact, work to stay more unpredictable. That's the good thing I see coming out of all of his moves being some variation of him spinning in a ball. Despite it seeming too identical to the user, that likeness will make it unpredictable to the opponent. This is what I'm hoping, anyway.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
your hopping spin (side B) looks blatently unlike any other attack since he grows bright blue spikes on the spinning ball... unfortunately, a wise oponent will always see it coming.

listentomook

Smash Apprentice
i think its kinda beat that sonic's forward and down b are so similar...they shouldve thrown in the force field jump from sonic 3...double jump success shield of doom!

Saunic

Smash Rookie
Found something even greater (don't know if it were posted) : you can instantly cancel the forward B charge with the shield (just press L or R while holding B).

That leads to a new possibility for Sonic : you can shield cancel while fox trotting, just make a dash, then press forward+B+L/R, which cancels immediatly your dash and leaves you on guard with almost no start-up lag, and, eventually grab, just as if you shield cancel normally.

Now, I have to do some tests to determine if it is a usable technique.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Sonic is very fast on the ground people cant see him use his side B and dodge effectively

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
Found something even greater (don't know if it were posted) : you can instantly cancel the forward B charge with the shield (just press L or R while holding B).
Hmm, well, the only real use I can see for that (other than canceling if you decide you don't feel like it, obviously) is to force an approach against an opponent with no projectiles. If they slip up, hit them, and if not, shield-cancel and grab.

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
I always thought sonic should of had a side b like fox's or falco's... its similar to the light-speed dash attack in Sonic Adventure the one where he's says "RRReeeeeeaaadddyyy... GOOOO!" and it makes dash towards the nearest rings... Maybe make it chargeable to make it somewhat different than the space animals... or make him like throw ring out somewhere, and have him chase after... or even be able to control where u throw the ring too... that would be cool...

but from what i've played, at first i couldnt really tell the difference between the two except that down B is faster and hits a bit harder and side b is combo-able but u can be hit out of his ball form...

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
That reminds me. Rings should spill out from Sonic when he dies.

I do like the light-speed dash as an attack concept though. He didn't even need to charge it in later games.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
or even just chucking a ring period... I mean... a projectile would improve his game a lot I think.

LuCKy

Smash Master
i always wished he would have had a ring toss lol

even light dash would have been 10000 times better then two spin dashes

and fire shield would **** people you know it...........

lol sonic got cheated on his b moves >_> but you guys know this

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah... I've hated it since I saw the update.. but we'll have to cope right?

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
Honestly, he's only had a ring toss in one game. And even then, the ring didn't damage and was only used for a light speed dash. Admittedly the popup side B wasn't from anything, but still, Sonic doesn't feel like a character that would or should have a projectile move.

By the way, how many times do each of you rev down B? And how quickly? For that matter, what would be the optimal rev amount? My personal experience is 2 or 3 for good results, but the 2D sonic games tend to vary (Genesis ones especially. You can rev crazily fast by using A, B, and C alternatively.) I only ask this to see if it compares.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
My personal experience is 2 or 3 for good results, but the 2D sonic games tend to vary (Genesis ones especially. You can rev crazily fast by using A, B, and C alternatively.)
That was my first thought when I heard that the downb was revealed: "can you alternate a/b like you could in Genesis games?" Would have been a cool addition.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
That was my first thought when I heard that the downb was revealed: "can you alternate a/b like you could in Genesis games?" Would have been a cool addition.
yeah... though I think X or Y busts you out of it with a jump.

regardless, I normally just mash B since that's the button I use to activate it.... while you rev, there's a little blue circle around sonic... if you rev quickly, the circle is smaller if you relesase for a bit or rev slowly, the circle gets bigger... so I normally just release whenever the circle is small.

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
Honestly, he's only had a ring toss in one game. And even then, the ring didn't damage and was only used for a light speed dash. Admittedly the popup side B wasn't from anything, but still, Sonic doesn't feel like a character that would or should have a projectile move.

regardless of wether sonic doesnt feel like a projectile or whatever i think the people on these forums are just sayin that sonic got the s**t end of the move pool. there was alot of potential for his character, but giving him 2 moves that are roughly the same not to mention the homing ball which is also a variant of his spin dash form is jus dissapointing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yea its true... welp, the only option we have now is to just meta/mind game with em' and do the best we can

sonic will still be the coolest thing on two legs. no matter how bad his appearance in this or the last six games he's been in was

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
look at it this way: at least since he's not top teir, everyone and there mother won't be playing him like fox and falco were played in melee.

Top Bottom