• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between Nair and Fair (KNEE OF JUSTICE)?

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
I'm only starting to learn techniques for various characters, and am not too familiar with the effective differences between the Nair and Fair for many characters (I know that for most characters, Nair usually does less damage and hits opponents on both sides, while Fair has a smaller hitbox and only hits in front, but does more damage).

In CAPTAIN FALCOAN's case, when do you want to use his Nair and when do you want to use the KNEE OF JUSTICE?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Nair is useful as an approach, a spacing tool, a combo starter, and a generally quick, disruptive move. When fastfalled or done while landing so that only the first hit comes out it leads into a grab or jab combo, which can be good for damage racking. It's Falcon's fastest and safest move for covering space in front of him, and when you're not sure that your move will connect it's much safer to throw out a Nair than a Knee.(Never throw out Knees randomly) The Knee is strictly reserved for killing as a combo finisher, a punish, or off a hard read. It has a lot of landing lag, so don't use it near the ground unless you're sure it'll hit. In short, Nair is your damage racker and Knee is your finisher.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Nair for neutral game and some match ups, specially when you can be shieldgrabbed.

Knee is the Knee man, no need to explain it

Darthrai

Smash Cadet
Nair is useful as an approach, a spacing tool, a combo starter, and a generally quick, disruptive move. When fastfalled or done while landing so that only the first hit comes out it leads into a grab or jab combo, which can be good for damage racking. It's Falcon's fastest and safest move for covering space in front of him, and when you're not sure that your move will connect it's much safer to throw out a Nair than a Knee.(Never throw out Knees randomly) The Knee is strictly reserved for killing as a combo finisher, a punish, or off a hard read. It has a lot of landing lag, so don't use it near the ground unless you're sure it'll hit. In short, Nair is your damage racker and Knee is your finisher.
Ah okay, sounds good. So Knee is similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz in that you use it mostly for punishes and it's unsafe otherwise?

Also, I think I recognize you from GameFAQs?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Ah okay, sounds good. So Knee is similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz in that you use it mostly for punishes and it's unsafe otherwise?

Also, I think I recognize you from GameFAQs?
The knee is also good for certain off stage follow ups (and I believe it can be comboed from a grounded up air if I remember reading something correctly).
And although the sweet Knee is great, a weak Knee can be as equally devastating to an opponent. You can even punish an opponent with a short hop Fair. If you get the timing down, hitting the opponent after they whiff a smash feels good. Just get the timing down to sweet spot it. And make sure you short hop (or full hope depending on size of opponent), and then fair and then immediately fast fall.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
They're both situational but you wont be using them as often as you'd think in the neutral. Like Weeman said, there are better options, namely bair. The best uses for nair and knee that i've found so far are

Nair
1. single hit nair into gentleman (very good if dropping after platform drop).
2. frame trapping low to the ground with uair to force either a 2nd jump or airdodge (depending on the character, they won't have to the tools to beat/outtrade uair), so when they airdodge your uair you can nair which leads to 1.
3. down throw will connect to nair at 0-low % (depending on characters)

Knee
1. down throw will connect to knee at certain % (especially good without vectoring and lack of appreciable DI).
2. waiting out an airdodge and kneeing (potentially big reward).

Uair, just like in the previous smash games, is still the GOAT falcon aerial

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
Learn to use the knee strategically, people are zoning you or using projectiles try and connect the knee while their still in animation, and also as a combo in air, otherwise try and use it sparingly because it is VERY punishable

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I also think Nair will gain better use on the Wii U version, since the way the C-stick works now malks it so that you can do c stick nairs, giving it a little more use off stage.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Random knees are useless, but falling uair to knee is still legit even with the DI changes. Seriously learn it and abuse it to kill everything at like 60%. Even if you don't knee, falling uair to uair to DJ uair is an easy 35% damage true combo at mid percents.

Top Bottom