• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dining Philosophers Mafia! Game Over - Who Won???

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Because Homeland Security isn't flawless, we should get rid of them altogether.

Because there is a risk of forks blocking actions across the table, we should all block each other.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
How could I possibly role-fish when my idea isn't specific.
Oh you can role fish easily. Like having someone post a stupid hypothetical or seeing how they phrase their responses. Which is precisely why I'm covering this meta as thoroughly as possible so that other people don't pay much mind to it.

Also Handorin stop lurking.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I seriously do not understand how you're vouching this as not being anything but a total disaster.

Anyways, GOTTA WORK. PAY THE BILLS.

Vote: Known Mafia

Known Mafia

Smash Apprentice
Broseph, you see, I hydrad because I can't post a ton between full time school, being married and basically working full time. I'm concentrating more on our QT. I might post here if I feel really inclined. More often though I'm at school or work and have a lull so I'm catching up on the thread, but I can't post. Right now I'm waiting for my class to start. Go bark up another tree.

Also, more relevant to the game now:
Soup, your idea isn't smart at all based solely on the fact that mafia pass their forks. You already acknowledged that it isn't to block a kill, but it doesn't achieve anything else either. Most PRs are blocked. The mafia passing the fork can just claim a PR at the end and say his adjacent kept picking up the fork, and the list of things goes on and on. It's a giant wifom mess. Don't try and play night god.

I'll try and get some more content up during lunch. That was the easy post.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Soup's idea is stupid for two reasons:

It's possibly going to rout out who has PRs, information that is more beneficial to mafia than town.
While there is naturally going to be conflict with people getting screwed over due to the forks, this promotes more conflict.

If we lynch a mafia member, THEN it's a great idea because mafia no longer is capable of night kills.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You really thought I was joking?

Who do you want to lynch right now, assume we don't get more time to figure stuff out.
What do you think of Acro right now? How about soup? Me?
Would you lynch TBG or Tac based off what we know about them right now?
Thought you were making a pun.

Right now I have no strong scum reads. If deadlined, I'd be fine with Tac, not so much Known Mafia, based on the votes I'm seeing.

Acro is leaning town, soup null, you null.

TBG is fine candidate for a lynch right now based on activity and for Tac's case I can't read him on what he posted so far and if he doesn't give me past game reference I don't think I can. Tac isn't really useful, but if I can get some info on past games, it can at least help my read on him.

Known Mafia

Smash Apprentice
Orbo catching up here. It's been all me except for one post so far, unless hando's posted on page 4, which I haven't read yet.
Mmm, that solidifies it.

Vote: Red Ryu

Policy lynches can wait, this guy is scum. (BTW RR this is a serious accusation in case you missed that lol)
What makes him scum? Why drop TBG? why okay with me as a lynch?
It's not waiting. It's weighing. If you town read a slot in early game, then gambiting them doesn't make sense. Gambits are only really effective on newbies in early game, but I didn't think that ~Tac~ or TBG were worth it. So I decided to throw that away and just try to read you first. But that didn't work out the way I wanted it to, however I think that I have a pretty good read on ~Tac~ thanks to soup/dabuz.
Share that Tac read?
You're implying that what I say is what is going to happen. What do you think is going to happen? Let's say you're a PR and you want to use your action. Who cares about the other guy next to you? You don't know jack about him and unless you think everyone is going to play fair and nicely, it's inevitable that someone is going to get ****ed over.
What happens if a town roleblocker or something like that gets through at the expense of the doc or cop? if everyone tries to use a NA, then the only thing that gets through is the mafia kill. not thinking there soup.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
MODERATOR INPUT:

Please remain calm and stay tuned for further updates.

there will be a deadline extension of at least 24 hours due to site downtime/crashboards.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
ANNOUNCEMENTS:

>The Day 1 deadline is extended by 48 hours, and as such is 11pm GMT, 6th March

>Acrostic replaces Killstic

>Please do not 'like' any posts!

VOTECOUNT 1.2
with 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch!

dabuz [0]
Known Mafia [1] - Acrostic
Potassium [0]
Masquerain [0]
Acrostic [0]
TBG [2] - Known Mafia, Red Ryu
Red Ryu [1] - Potassium
Tac [2] - soup, dabuz
soup [0]

Not Voting [3] - Masquerain, TBG, Tac

Kantrip

Kantplay
Responding as I go so I'm not fully caught up yet.

I feel the same way, Kantrip. TBG is just old news now? What happened?
Yeah he's old news. Literally suggested him cuz deadline was close and wanted a policy/fallback lynch.

I disagree with your idea btw. Mafia can pass forks, we won't be stopping their NK if they want it to go through. Everyone should use their discretion on their own actions and we can trust we don't have to dictate whether or not they use them at this phase.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Orbo catching up here. It's been all me except for one post so far, unless hando's posted on page 4, which I haven't read yet.What makes him scum? Why drop TBG? why okay with me as a lynch?
Because I literally have no direction in this Day and wanted to see how he'd respond in the face of adversity. soup/others may hate me for this, but I don't actually have any scumreads yet. All of my accusations have been for reactions or just for shiggles. Dropped TBG cuz he was just a policy lynch option, but even then Tac is probably the superior choice because he doesn't know how to play the game, where TBG does.

TBG

Smash Cadet
I am curious why TBG decided to try to pick-up soup's pressure on ~Tac~ while specifically quoting him admitting personal defeat on the read. This is a major question of what TBG was thinking by picking up what I would consider to be a poor FOS. I don't see why someone would invest in something that is defeated rather than start a new attempt at a ~Tac~ read by trying a different angle or trying to read other people in the player cast and letting other people focus on ~Tac~ in the mean time.
I find making wagons (even small random ones) happen on D1 to be useful in breaking RVS and getting games going. Soup and Tac were the only two with votes, and the vote against soup looked pretty serious, so I Tac voted. I couldn't tell how serious Soup was being or if he had any sort of plan still going, so I tossed my vote on in the hopes that maybe he did. Best case, I help a plan go forward. Worst case, I get a mini RVS wagon going.

Soup's idea of all the PRs actioning is dumb. I'd expect this to be pretty PR heavy, (otherwise the whole picking up forks for NAs would be useless) so it seems like we'd all just end up blocking the town PRs. Obviously, roles like Cop and Doc should be actioning every night, but I'm not sure everyone with an action should. I also don't really like that he was pushing for talk on game mechanics when we had no real lynches aside from Tac.

vote: soup

Because I literally have no direction in this Day and wanted to see how he'd respond in the face of adversity. soup/others may hate me for this, but I don't actually have any scumreads yet. All of my accusations have been for reactions or just for shiggles. Dropped TBG cuz he was just a policy lynch option, but even then Tac is probably the superior choice because he doesn't know how to play the game, where TBG does.
>"he's going to be useless"
>"I don't have any scumreads"

10/10

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
If you say Gullible real slow, it sounds like cheese.

pushing for talk on game mechanics when we had no real lynches aside from Tac.
Talk about Game Mechanics is going to be present in every game you're in, and it's especially going to be present such as this. I posed an idea, you answer. That doesn't imply that I think you're going to go along with it, let alone agree with me. Your reasoning is literally 'he talked about a mechanic therefore scum lol.' No real lynches? Damn. Whose fault is that? You think I'm scum because I presented an idea such as that? In what way is this telling and would make me scum? I expect an answer, otherwise you're full of ****.

#HBC | ѕoup

Yeah he's old news. Literally suggested him cuz deadline was close and wanted a policy/fallback lynch.
And ~Tac~ isn't a lynch you wanted?

Why? What's so hard to read about this game? Got any town-reads?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I want people to weigh in now on what the lynch is now and what the fall back lynch should be. Hando side on Known Mafia flaked out big time today. To top it off using the hydra mechanic as an excuse to under perform is the epitome of bull ****. Orboknown continuing with his hyperconservative Q&A when we were bordering dead line is borderline offensive. I'm going to even go as far to say that Hando didn't post a read list, because Hando doesn't have a read list. If Hando was really focusing more on a QT, then he would have something **** he could float down the river from the QT itself. If I'm not mistaken though, I come back to see nothing. Really. This slot should die not because it hasn't gotten its act together, but the play style I see just reads off as them trying to blend in as much as possible and give the impression that they are scumhunting when there have no results to show from their Q&A. Doing a Q&A does not matter at all if the questions themselves do not give you tells. The questions from the slot itself have been shamefully pedestrian, passive, and feeler questions to get a sense of what people are thinking but not really the type of questions to pressure or uncover alignments. This is why my vote remains on this slot as it has been the most visible slot in the game that I've noticed submitting posts that I find to be most definitive of how mafia would approach the game given its slow pacing and lack of real fire power in terms of content.

I'm unsatisfied with soup's play and he hasn't 1. sold me on the ~Tac~ lynch 2. addressed my dislike of his beginning play. In fact, I don't know what is going on with this slot. Seriously, it soup an indie who wins when we all pick up our forks. soup isn't stupid. I really, truly do not believe soup is stupid. But his play IS half-baked. His read on Potassium cannot really be real, because it is just shallow and riddled with presumptive assumptions. To paraphrase, suop insinuates that Potassium got anxious at getting a town role. WHY would someone associate anxious behavior with town behavior? Just really, really questionable rationalizations all around are being ignored and soup himself is failing to give an explanation. There is also the case on ~Tac~ itself which keys in on ~Tac~ retreating from a dabuz FOS when met with pressure. This retreat is bad. Because 1. he gives up on the read easily 2. he tries to legitimize the vote 3. he makes an irl excuse. Make no mistake this **** is ****ing bad. But if you look at his response, his defensiveness and reverse accusation that soup and dabuz are grouping on him seems a contra-indicative scum response to being called out of hiding.

With the read of ~Tac~'s slot on scales, I have to beg the question of an earlier post, would mafia really try to make a case that someone being sick is a mafia tell? That's not something I think mafia would do especially if we are pushing that ~Tac~ is a scum that was trying to hide in the bushes at the first sign of a fire. Now if you asked me who I think is hiding in the bushes...

TBG I dislike soup. His early play blows but he's not a viable lynch. soup isn't going to die today because he's gave us some traction and if he didn't exist this thread would have no legs to stand on. I will even go as far to say that a living soup mafia is more beneficial to town at this moment than a dead soup mafia simply because people aren't pulling their weight this game and there is no reason certainty that these players will contribute anything in the following days to come. But you know what, we do have soup to provide content and letting soup mafia live will give us reads on the rest of the player cast since he will do his best to emulate helpful town behavior. So now I want you to realistically consider soup's value to this thread and then weigh whether or not it is worth risking lynching him and him flipping town. Because I don't think you have a strong enough fos to convince me that soup is mafia, much less entertain the risk of tanking the game without soup in the game period.

Potassium I don't understand why you just admitted to having no reads and why you're satisfied that there's absolutely nothing you want to explore or push. I don't understand why you are explicitly focused on value content from the two newbie slots when there are plenty of other experienced players who should be lynched for not pushing any of their weight. I think that it is fair to expect more from our veteran slots who aren't pulling their own weight then cue'ing in on the two slots that can give us so much more information. I also don't know your play, but if you're going to call soup out on a stupid beginning RVS gambit, then wouldn't it be disappointing to admit that you've ended up being in the very same situation that you were once criticizing. I don't understand you called soup out for blatantly being ineffective, I would truly think that you would be the last person in this game to admit that you've arrived at the end of D1 with nothing to show for it.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Thank God our deadline was extended guys! Let's all come back and do this two days from now.

Kantrip

Kantplay
And ~Tac~ isn't a lynch you wanted?

Why? What's so hard to read about this game? Got any town-reads?
Maybe I spoke too soon.

@Acrostic: Hear me out on this: My rationale coming into this game with a small playerlist is that I need to be really sure on things. For D1 I almost told myself that the lynch has to be a policy lynch because lynching a decent player and having them flip town is basically the game. I basically said to myself that no matter how much I hate soup I would take it as a clashing of our personalities as is so often the case when we play together.

You know what happened though? He developed a townread on me. That may be the single scummiest thing I have ever seen soup do.

No, but seriously, I'm scared to lynch you/soup D1 because you are the two slots I feel like I can count on to at least be present and TRY. I'm townreading you and scumleaning soup, but I'm scared to act on that scumlean because it's dangerous territory if he flips town going into the next phase.

@soup: To answer your question, ~Tac~ is a lynch I would be fine with, but I also don't like you and wanted to go for another inactive rather than the one you were gunning for (especially looking at your behaviour with that slot). Not only would I be starting a wagon on a player I'd be fine with policy lynching, but I'd also get a reaction from other players (namely you). As for your second question, what's so hard in this game for me is the small playerlist and how that makes me feel like I have to be more cautious. As I said to Acrostic, I'm just more hesitant to pin a read to anyone. I do like Acrostic this game though, and I'm also sort of okay with Known Mafia. I haven't checked over how Red Ryu responded to my questions yet but I could go either way on him, I sort of dislike you, and everyone else is a sea of nulls.

@whoever will listen: I dislike how soup went from disliking me to townreading me and from liking ~Tac~ to disliking ~Tac~. I don't see at which point he made those switches in his mind. Like, the transition was just so sudden I find it hard to believe he worked through those reads in his head and reassessed them enough to swap them around completely. I think finding ~Tac~ scum and me town just fit his agenda better for staying alive, as he realized that ~Tac~ would be an easy lynch if he could hold a scumread on the slot, and I'm a slot that tends to lash out at my aggressors so saying he likes me will give him a bit of safety. His behaviour with people choosing TBG as a fallback is definitely something worth looking into, and I think that lynching TBG would provide us with a connection to soup worth looking into.

I am for a TBG lynch, and would contribute to a soup/~Tac~/Red Ryu (pending) lynch.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Thank God our deadline was extended guys! Let's all come back and do this two days from now.
No Acro, let's ****ing work through this **** man.

You say soup is not a viable lynch. Would you want to make him a viable lynch or do you have an alternative? Talk to me about your #1 choice.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Thought you were making a pun.
Okay, and you thought it was just for the fun of it and didn't reflect my opinion?

Right now I have no strong scum reads. If deadlined, I'd be fine with Tac, not so much Known Mafia, based on the votes I'm seeing.
Elaborate. Why not Known Mafia? What do you mean "based on the votes [you're] seeing?"

Acro is leaning town, soup null, you null.
Tell me when you get rid of those two pesky null reads.

TBG is fine candidate for a lynch right now based on activity and for Tac's case I can't read him on what he posted so far and if he doesn't give me past game reference I don't think I can. Tac isn't really useful, but if I can get some info on past games, it can at least help my read on him.
What if TBG can give you info on past games? Why is ~Tac~ more valuable than TBG?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Unlikely teams:
soup/~Tac~
Red Ryu/TBG
Known Mafia/TBG

More for reference than for using right now. While all of these people could be individually scummy these are teams I don't see them working in.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Potassium I think we need to lynch soup now before he starts trying to town tell. He even changed his avvie and foreshadowed that his next posts are going to be badass while chuckling at our attempts to make sense of the game. Gotta kill him before he power ups.

(No in all seriousness, nothing changed in the past 30 mins to make me change my vote from KM)

#HBC | ѕoup

Acrostic's post is good. Probably the best thing I've seen all game. Don't worry your pretty head about all that stuff though. Those things will come to light in due time. If you really care, I can tell you what I'm thinking right now but god knows someone would blow it out of proportion and mess up what I was trying to do in the first place; this includes the Fork gig.

Your reasoning on Known Mafia is to consider. I wasn't really looking into them and I gave them a pass, but you have me interested now. I remember disliking something they did earlier on, but to bring light about their Q&A sessions is good. This is something that's more telling of 'Orbo' than the hydra itself, because he is that type of player. Assuming that he's town because he's asking a bunch of baseless questions however is stupid.

TBG [2] - Known Mafia, Red Ryu
How do you take his vote? I'll go further into this afterwards.

#HBC | ѕoup

@soup: To answer your question, ~Tac~ is a lynch I would be fine with, but I also don't like you and wanted to go for another inactive rather than the one you were gunning for (especially looking at your behaviour with that slot). Not only would I be starting a wagon on a player I'd be fine with policy lynching, but I'd also get a reaction from other players (namely you). As for your second question, what's so hard in this game for me is the small playerlist and how that makes me feel like I have to be more cautious. As I said to Acrostic, I'm just more hesitant to pin a read to anyone. I do like Acrostic this game though, and I'm also sort of okay with Known Mafia. I haven't checked over how Red Ryu responded to my questions yet but I could go either way on him, I sort of dislike you, and everyone else is a sea of nulls.
Define: Inactive.

TBG has made one RVS post and one voting me because I talked about forks. Inactive?
Joey has made one post responding to Red Ryu on his questioning and solidifying his townread on me. Inactive?
Red Ryu has made a couple of posts, not really delving into anything worth talking about. His vote on TBG is weird. Inactive?
dabuz has made a good chunk of posts. Inactive?

Do you see my point? Inactive isn't something you can pin an alignment on unless you're talking as to why that person would be inactive as scum. If you're referring to TBG (which I think you are) then how is it bad that I think TBG's reasoning was a crock of ****? He hasn't even done the honors of proving me wrong or presenting an argument. Do you really look at players and decide their alignment based on how much they post? You're null on everyone because this game is dead for one and two you're expecting everyone to cooperate for you and post everything you want them to. They won't. Who is town in the inactives? Who is scum? What reasoning would they have to be inactive? ...Why are you okay with Known Mafia?

#HBC | ѕoup

@whoever will listen: I dislike how soup went from disliking me to townreading me and from liking ~Tac~ to disliking ~Tac~. I don't see at which point he made those switches in his mind. Like, the transition was just so sudden I find it hard to believe he worked through those reads in his head and reassessed them enough to swap them around completely. I think finding ~Tac~ scum and me town just fit his agenda better for staying alive, as he realized that ~Tac~ would be an easy lynch if he could hold a scumread on the slot, and I'm a slot that tends to lash out at my aggressors so saying he likes me will give him a bit of safety. His behaviour with people choosing TBG as a fallback is definitely something worth looking into, and I think that lynching TBG would provide us with a connection to soup worth looking into.

I am for a TBG lynch, and would contribute to a soup/~Tac~/Red Ryu (pending) lynch.
Reads are interchangeable. My change in stance came with a reasoning. Your issue with this? If I sat on my ass and refused to take no stance or be stubborn with all my reads, then I wouldn't be getting anywhere. The reasoning to town-read ~Tac~ before was not nearly as strong as a reason to scum-read him. This is why it changed. This is why any read can change. I'm trying to stay alive? You got me. I want to live and play this game still. I want to post a lot and try and get content out there because I like mafia. An easy lynch? This is telling how? Are all easy lynches town? If we assumed this, then everyone inactive must be scum. We know this isn't true though, and there this is town amongst them. I don't understand how you're going with this. You say you can lynch ~Tac~, but you think I'm trying to push him because he's easy therefore I'm trying to be safe. If you're okay with lynching ~Tac~ for my reasoning or whatever, then why are you playing a double-standard? Falling back on TBG? Hardly. What's the specific issue? Why is this scum of me? Falling back on someone? Instead of looking at me like I'm falling back on someone, you should be looking instead as to why I'm doing it. If you disagree, then by all means tell me and prove me wrong. Otherwise this is all conjecture.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I never said inactive is something you can pin alignment on. Just because I label them all as "inactives" doesn't mean they're all the same thing to me. I consider an inactive someone who is not contributing to the game. I don't think Known Mafia is contributing to the game, I don't think ~Tac~ is contributing to the game, I don't think Masquerain is contributing to the game, I don't think TBG is contributing to the game. I was fine with your ~Tac~ vote, but I wanted to pick someone else, that's all I was saying.

And yeah, I'm null on everyone because the game is dead. What do you want me to do about that? I'm not okay with Known Mafia to the point where I wouldn't lynch them, but they just aren't my preference because I actually liked some of their questions. I'd go for almost any lynch above a NL except mine and Acrostic's basically.

#HBC | ѕoup

You're pretty solid town for me. I would have thought you'd be more concerned about your image as scum, and would bull**** a few reads here and there. I like your consideration of me and actually deciphering things instead of just forcefeeding ****.

Top Bottom