• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dinosaur hieroglyphics

bigman40

Smash Master
So yeah. I was on the PT boards just lurking for info I could use about him, and came across a good guide from Reflex. Seeing his guide about his analysis on each move and how useful/not useful it is made me feel like making one for Yoshi. I know that most people will have disagreements for stuff that I think about certain moves, but I'm just mainly posting this to give you guys some insight on what I think works well and what doesn't. I"m going to update my analysis on it as much as possible as I continue to mess around with Yoshi's game and other character's games. So if you have thoughts about using/doing something that I may not have listed, then feel free to do so, and I'll mess with it when I get some time.

Jabs:

Jabs are pretty much the moves you can mainly abuse and get away with. Single jabs have great mix-up timing to keep your opponent guessing when you're attempting to react to their choices. Normally, a lot of Yoshi's will double jab to get opponents out of their face, which is good, but this is easily seen by opponents with decent experience at the MU. This does not mean that it's not useful, but it reduces the amount you can spam this move. Also, note in your head that double jabs will not combo under 30%. If your opponent is solidly standing, then he can shield and stop the 2nd jab from hitting.

Ftilt:

I've been a fave of this move, then hated it for a while. It's definitely a good move when you can understand when to use it. The start-up is pretty fast, but it's cool down it's fairly crappy. So you won't be able to spam this move with reliable safety. If you can get used to hitting with the very tip of this move, then you can try using this to cover Yoshi's blind spot with mediocre success. It also pings with a decent amount of moves, so it's something to consider using when you're looking for a little breathing space.

Utilt:

Short range, but makes him a tad tougher to hit (not that much though). It's a great move to start juggles, but you have to commit to the move if you're going to use it. It's also a decently good option after a Jab since the push back stops most characters from shield grabbing. However, the lag just makes things worse and Dtilt would prove more use since it has less cool down.

Dtilt:

Slowest start-up, but quickest cool down. This move is what you want to semi abuse. It's useful when forcing an opponent to get out of grab range (Jab > Dtilt), and the knock back is pretty decent since Yoshi doesn't have great traps like most characters. Think of this move as Charizard's Dtilt, but not move-able. It's a move you can use to keep people on their toes and good for punishing airdodges coming into the ground. Also, I'm not completely sure on this, but if you can use Dtilt to clip opponents over the edge like Charizard, then use it! This forces them to sweetspot, and then you can followup with other options since being from the ledge limits them slightly (except MK lol).

Dsmash:

Not a good move like it used to be. You normally have other options that are better and more safe then Dsmash. The only decent plus from it is that you can try to use it when you're struggling to kill. It's quick enough to catch someone off guard and get that kill you really need. Other than that, I'd advise you stay away from using it.

Usmash:

One of the main moves we use to kill. Unfortunately, you won't be looking at killing your opponents until they're at about 150%. So, you can pretty much use this at low percents to semi-combo and then save it to kill. The invincibility on his head is great and all, but his body expands too, making it annoying to spam. Most Yoshi's would want to spam this move since it's has a quick cool down, funny knock back that combos almost into itself (lol), and the small invincibility makes it a decent anti-aerial. However, it's the exact opposite when it comes to spamming. It's easily seen and avoided. If you're looking to use this move more than often, then make sure you're using it wisely and spacing it well.

Fsmash:

Mixed thoughts on this. If you can DR, then this will help a little, but for the most part, you kinda want to keep this move out. Big time lag on both ends makes you fully commit to using it, and if it's shielded then you're going to get punished. It's only a safe option after grab releases (DR grab releases that is) and near the ledge where the opponent will fly off from shielding it. Also, you can try to sneak one in by dodging a jab or something and Fsmashing them. Not really recommending it, but it can prove a little extra use in heated moments. Otherwise, try to stay away from this move.

Nair:

I wish this had more range to make it safer or to at least give a better feeling of countering. It's a decent move you'll most likely be using as a surprise on opponents, but keep this move hidden when you can. It can combo into other moves at low percents, and combo when you sourspot it into other moves too when they're higher. You probably might be using this to hit someone into the blast line if they're offstage, but don't rely on this. Also, you can consider using this with a DJ to add a little amount of safety, but then you'll be in trouble getting down since Yoshi doesn't have great priority from below.

Fair:

High risk, decent reward. All I can truly say. People can see it coming from a mile away and dodge it. You can possibly use this to punish airdodging into the ground, but perfect shielding comes into play if you're late. Also know that a perfectly spaced Fair on their shield (on the very corner) makes this move safe versus most opponents. They can't shield grab it since they'll be out of range. You can probably try to use this for forcing an airdodge too and punish that. I don't see much potential without a better setup for this, but I'll keep looking into it.

Bair:

His main move. His shield pressure move. His combo move. What else? It combos into moves at mid to high percents (caps at about 120% for most characters), and sometimes can combo into Uairs. You'll HAVE to be using this to mainly play Yoshi, but don't go too happy when using it as it's beaten by other characters (in other words, mix it up and space your attacks). I won't note these down now, but I have a few thoughts about trying out Bair offstage and for other setups at other percent ranges. Hopefully they'll prove more use if they can trap better than some of the other stuff I've found.

Uair:

Another main killer, and another combo move. It's hard to keep this from not going stale when it can combo well, but then again, it's fairly telegraphed when you need it to kill. Can setup into itself so it further promotes combos. I don't know how you want to use this, but I'd recommend doing it like Usmash. Use it at low percents then refresh it to kill. Oh, random thought of the day, the very tip of his Uair can hit people that are practically over the ledge trying to attack you (just push back then Uair). I don't know what to do with it yet, but it's just something I wanted to throw out there since he can poke through a few stages with a rising Uair.

Dair:

*Sigh* My.....How they have hurt one of our most famous moves....I'm telling it straight: It can no longer transition combo if opponent is under 100% (Dair > w/e doesn't combo). It can't give enough shield stun to lead into serious options (Dair > DownB doesn't work on shields), which makes it bad for using it as a SH Dair approach. It can be easily DI'ed out of when you hit opponents in the air. This makes it worse since it'll put us in bad spots again.

Now, there are small positives to this move that I don't know how to use to my advantage yet. Dair gives more stun time if opponent's percentage gets higher (allows the transition combos to work), allows a chance of tripping when opponent reaches dumb high percents (about 150-160%+), and it gives a small chance to footstool after the Dair offstage. The funny priority on it can possibly mindgame a few people when you FH Dair it (it acts a little like a suction), but it's not for using often. Other than this, I don't have much else to tell you. I'll keep trying this move cause I know that Sharky <3's this move.

Egg Lay:

I will definitely admit that I never throughly used this move like I should have when I first started playing Yoshi. This is his main option to create true mix-ups. Having a move that can grab at will is a definite plus, regardless of how bad it might be. This move has a lot of mindgames in itself, as you can reverse, wavebounce, or even combine them. Use this when opponents seem to get a little aggressive on you, but don't overdo using it, as it's not that safe.

Egg Roll:

Straight up, avoid using this move. You can have a few random moments where it might come in handy, but you will almost always have a better option. The only method I could see useful for this (seeing as we can't use it like GW's bucket) is when we're getting pressured near the ledge (your about mid-close range form your opponent), and you can use it to possibly slide under them if they're not paying attention quick enough. Other than that, don't use it.

Yoshi Bomb:

Got nerfed in the air, but got buffed on the ground. This is one of our killing moves, but it gives a ton of cooldown after the move is done. Use this move wisely, but when you know you'll be able to land this move, do it. Hesitation can cause that window to close. Also, since Yoshi can slide when using this move on slanted platforms, try using it more on those since you can get away from your opponent while it hits their shield. Hopefully, it'll give you enough time to get out of cooldown before they attack.

Egg Toss:

I like it, but tons of Yoshi's overrated it all throughout this year since brawl has been out. This is not Yoshi's spam-able move, nor is it a move that allows Yoshi to camp!!! Oh, one more thing. This does not cover Yoshi's ****ing blind spot. So don't think that it'll be your main option when opponents attack you from that spot.

Now that I stated that. I'll begin. This move is meant for random interruptions and limitations on options. So, when you plan to use this move, you will have a plan already set in your head at what you want your opponent to react to your choice. This further makes opponents go where you want them to offstage. There has not been enough pressure lately when opponents get offstage, and this hurts us when we attempt to do any type of pressure then. Mostly every time I've looked at videos (this includes me), I see the same type of approach offstage, and egg throw is where this will come in handy. Get used to recovering while throwing it at your opponent. This can help you add better amounts of pressure while forcing them to the spots you want.

One last thing, don't forget that a very light egg throw > Usmash combos. It's not used a lot, and the amount of times you'll be able to use it is quite slim, but it's a good option to have when you get the chance. Namely cause if you suspect them to shield the egg then grab you while you attempt a Usmash, you can just pivot grab. It's not useful for small stages unless you have enough space (I'm talking long distance space) in between you and your opponent.

Fthrow:

You'll be using this evenly with Bthrow since there's no difference in them except for a frame difference. I wouldn't consider using this until you're close to the edge since you can't follow up anything after using this. However, you can use this when you have some characters that can cover under them well.

Bthrow:

Same as Fthrow. Nothing else to add for this.

Uthrow:

I don't use this move much. Hell, barely any Yoshi's use this move alot as Dthrow sets up better for followups. The good thing about this is that we can actually get people off guard when we use this because people don't really expect this move much at all. This will most likely help in getting another grab or landing another Usmash. However, keep this move under the radar most of the time since it's surprising use helps in landing a followup.

Dthrow:

His best throw IMO. The knockback keeps them stunned in the air long enoguh for you to force an airdodge or an attack. When you get used to following people while they attempt to get away, you can add some crucial damage onto your opponents. I mainly recommend using this move when you're not close to the edges of the stage. Why I don't say to use this over the edge is because it's harder to follow up right and throwing them offstage allows you to add in egg damage with a series of offstage walls (Bair walls/egglay/etc.), BUT you can possibly sneak a good Uair in just by walking off the edge and forcing an airdodge.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Love the concept you're developing as much as I love the thread title. :D

Good stuff, looking forward to it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Famous Yoshi Mainer Bigman40 is now making something "Huge" For yoshi and the rest of us to digest with our eyes and brain.
Can't wait to see it Scatman.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Famous Yoshi Mainer Bigman40 is now making something "Huge" For yoshi and the rest of us to digest with our eyes and brain.
Can't wait to see it Scatman.
lol grampz has the most fans out of all the yoshi mains, specially back in the day when he made the firs guud yoshi combo vid

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: After all this time, I think I'm gonna start calling him Grampz, too.

It'll be odd, though, since I'm old enough to be his dad, LOL.

bigman40

Smash Master
Sry guys for the late notice, but I'm getting swamped with classwork, and add my birthday celebration to that. Hopefully I'll have a little time to write out this by about thursday after my Labs.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
oh guys he is a super techy electrition man so he should be done quick like

but we need more disscusion on the yoshi boards and like inventiveness

Airborne

Smash Lord
ok, so instead of just simply rating the moves by how useful they are and such, we're going to state the descriptions and most effective uses/mindgames? this'll probably help me more than most actually. o.O

though i think we should also add in all sorts of egg shenanigans, from egg toss methods (where we throw them in terms of opponent's location and why) to egg lay methods (when we use DJC, when we use rising short hop, etc.) to yoshi bomb sliding (what frame we're available to react after we slide off the platform)...

also, mind if i add this to my series once we get it finished? i wanna get back into working on it, and i think having something shown audibly and visually helps, as well as keeping people interested instead of just having to read everything. =P people like to learn through different methods!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Jabs:
double jabs will not combo under 30%. If your opponent is solidly standing, then he can shield and stop the 2nd jab from hitting.
That's so dumb. SAKURAI WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US?

It's one of my favorite moves to punish with if I'm just out of range. I find the tip knockback of the ftilt sets me up better in most cases than the dtilt tip.

I love using this move out of really, really close range jabs. For basically the reasons stated. At lower percents a lot of people will try to fast fall an AD or aerial, so I just dash and grab on landing for whatever works out of grabs on said character.

This is my other mix up out of jabs, though I use it more if they're further away. I'll either do it right away or stay crouched, and then either dtilt the spot dodge or Yoshi Bomb their shield. I love the mindgames that the threat of crouching provides. :D

I don't use it much either. In fact, I can't even say when I would use it because I use it so uncommonly.

This is one of the main moves I'll use while "camping". Egg them to force them into the air and usmash, pivot grab, or continue egging depending on how they move in the air. Generally, I'll run under them and usmash if they try to fall an approach on me, and in most cases you won't get punished because you've gone in opposite directions.

Fsmash:
Mixed thoughts on this. If you can DR, then this will help a little, but for the most part, you kinda want to keep this move out. Big time lag on both ends makes you fully commit to using it, and if it's shielded then you're going to get punished. It's only a safe option after grab releases (DR grab releases that is) and near the ledge where the opponent will fly off from shielding it. Also, you can try to sneak one in by dodging a jab or something and Fsmashing them. Not really recommending it, but it can prove a little extra use in heated moments. Otherwise, try to stay away from this move.
I'm a fan of using this move to punish poorly spaced air dodge. As long as you're timing it correctly, it's good to use for an earlier kill, but other than that, it's not too useful in most combat. =/

Subliminal DR advertising in that one, hehe.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Aerials are win...

One use I found for fair is if you dj fair a snake that is cyphering high he usually airdodges, then you can fastfall and uair to ko him early(well its early for snake...) before he has time to do anything out of the airdodge landing. Can't do it much, but when it's high up, and the uair is fresh it kills snake at 120-130ish.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Something that I use down tilt for is punishment for approaching, dash attacks mainly, due to the minimal lag, long reach, and the slight safety it provides. I mix it up with pivot grabs occasionally.

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright. I added the throws, so now people can start giving me some thoughts and stuff so I can screw around with them. I still have other things I plan on messing around with, so these analysis might expand another day.

NOW START DISCUSSING :mad:

Airborne

Smash Lord
yknow, i was thinking about uthrow again the other day (this seems to happen commonly with me and this move... >___<)...
do you think it could become of more use if we used it on the spacies and sheik (fast-falling **** characters) in order to close their options down (if they jump we can follow with nair/uair/dair(if they airdodge), while being able to read their DI and follow up with a pivot grab if they don't) and also maybe try it on the top tier fats, snake and d3?
the thought crossed my mind when i was thinking how to try to keep snake in the air; if we uthrow, he's most likely to either DJ and airdodge, or just airdodge. if he DJ airdodges, we can DJ->dair->sexy finish to rack in some nice damage, and will end with a quick aerial gtfo move that will be able to connect, since snake IS in the air after all... =\

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'd like to add another use for the f-smash. As mentioned earlier, f-smash is a good move for punishing people who airdodge to the ground because it can catch them in their few frames of landing lag. It's most effective near the edge since there are fewer places for your opponent to land in. This is where I tend to use f-smash and get some early kills. Other than that, you're right about the other limited uses for it.

I like n-air... when it hits. It's easily punishable if shielded, so it's not all that effective against ground opponents, especially if you don't do a rising one. It's decent enough in the air, but you'd usually be b-airing in when you are fighting an aerial battle. N-air is more like a finisher to the end of a string... or to end a string on yourself. And, of course, a rising n-air makes an effective edge-guarding tool. In essence, don't risk it too much on the ground, but use it to space yourself in the air.

F-air can actually be a decent edge-guarding tool if you can time it right when someone is recovering and can't air-dodge (example: Diddy Kong during his up-B if he is forced to use it). Sure, his spike is weak, but it is still fearsome all the same since it puts the opponent under Yoshi, which is the worst place to be recovering from against him. This is really its only good use, though. It won't work against recovering opponents if they still have full control of their character. Using it on the ground is possible, but there are usually better options to use, so it's more like a surprise attack there.

D-air is really only good if you use it in situations where you can't be easily punished for it, such as rising d-airs from off the ledge or when d-airing a recovery that can't easily avoid it (such as Donkey Kong, for example). I suppose it's also nice for coming down if you get knocked up, but that mostly depends on how well your opponent can manipulate you while he/she is under you.

Oh yeah, you should definitely mention how the lag is cancelled for the Yoshi Bomb if you slide off into the air. It is definitely a good tactic for mindgames and you can also set yourself up for some ECE's or edgehogging if you slide onto the ledge, too.

:069:

bigman40

Smash Master
I don't truly know how to explain the benefits of the slide from downB because I rarely use the move in the first place. I know that it's good for occasional use and for what it gives when sliding off the ledge, but idk what else to say for it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I like using uthrow against fast fallers and against people in general simply because I can follow their landing. If they're floaty it works as well since they're easier to track. The main people I find this DOESN'T work on are Fox (Shine Stalling) and people with multiple jumps (MUCH harder to track.)

The Down B slide is an efficient way to get back down to the stage. If you do the lagless ending it makes it a lot safer and you're out of a disadvantaged position.

At low percents I've actually chained a Fair spike into a footstool which completely gimped the opponent. It was pretty sexy, though I've only done it once. I doubt it's a true combo, but it's interesting.

Falling Dair can be effective at covering a landing if you time it so you don't get the lag. I also like using a falling egg lay for this as well.

I've used Nair for an aerial kill move, rather than Bair. At higher percents I'll jump backwards at someone and Nair them rather than Bair, and occasionally killed with it. I only recommend this if the opponent is airborne themselves, though. =P

Airborne

Smash Lord
I like using uthrow against fast fallers and against people in general simply because I can follow their landing. If they're floaty it works as well since they're easier to track. The main people I find this DOESN'T work on are Fox (Shine Stalling) and people with multiple jumps (MUCH harder to track.)

The Down B slide is an efficient way to get back down to the stage. If you do the lagless ending it makes it a lot safer and you're out of a disadvantaged position.

At low percents I've actually chained a Fair spike into a footstool which completely gimped the opponent. It was pretty sexy, though I've only done it once. I doubt it's a true combo, but it's interesting.

Falling Dair can be effective at covering a landing if you time it so you don't get the lag. I also like using a falling egg lay for this as well.

I've used Nair for an aerial kill move, rather than Bair. At higher percents I'll jump backwards at someone and Nair them rather than Bair, and occasionally killed with it. I only recommend this if the opponent is airborne themselves, though. =P
you could use this to your advantage if they are airborne and can't break your DJ heavy armor; bait an attack from them and punish them with nair for the kill... or even bait an airdodge!

Top Bottom