• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din's Recovery.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've been incorporating a new method of recovering into my games, and so far, I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results.

As you know, when using Din's Fire Zelda gets a little boost in whatever direction you may choose. Well, depending on how hard you tap right or left.

Anyway, this little method is done from above the stage. After you've been hit, at high percentages, you can use this boost to decend back to the stage once you're close enough, and be guarded by the Din all the way down.

But wait, what if they jump at me and/or do an aerial attack?
Well, they'll get hit by the Din, which, if you did it right, should be at it's full potential by now.

So, what if they air-dodge?
Well, most characters take some time. If they plan on dodging, they'll move AWAY from the incoming attack. Ergo, you will be free to move. Which brings to some other questions.

Well they don't have to come at me. What if they roll away?
Then Zelda will have enough time to prepare a counter attack for when they charge at you.

Okay, then I'll just charge a smash for when you come down.
Duh, Din will screw you.
Oh.

I guess I have no choice but to spot dodge, which takes some timing skills.
Yeah. I guess I can't do much about that. However, if I just send it out a little later, sacrificing some damage from the full blast, then I'll just fast fall down to the edge, since you won't be able to do anything if you're on the edge. But, if you are, then I'll just move over to somewhere safe.

Okay, well, that was a longer conversation with myself than I had intended. Basically, they have really one option: Spot dodge. Most people will instinctively try to follow up the attack, though, which would make them vulnerable. Use some discretion if you try this out. Learn when it works, and if the risk is with it.

If it connects, you will launch them upwards as a PERFECT set up for a Hyphen-Usmash. It's all about timing. As you are about to touch the gound, they should be freshly burnt. You can then follow that up with a f-air or b-air, or just space yourself.

Well, since I can't record vids, I suppose that is all. This is merely a suggestion. Use it as you see fit. Feel free to discuss.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've seen this used, but it seems when launching Din's Fire, Zelda can fall prey to Wolf Syndrome and just fail to grab the ledge, screwing herself. Multijumpers can just jump behind her safe from the fire and punish as well. Dedede and Kirby can suicide in this situation. DK can super armor through the fire into UpB. If she's doing this fairly close to the ground, the super armor comes into play for Up Smash from Ganon and NuetralB from Ike (which can also Meteor smash he from overhead in that case, ouch). Also Notable is that if I'm not mistaken, Zelda auto falls after Din's Fire, which means FLUDD and Water gun will kill her here even if they take damage from Din, she'll be too far away to survive then. This tends to work better when used very sparingly, as the risk is higher than it initially appears.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've seen this used, but it seems when launching Din's Fire, Zelda can fall prey to Wolf Syndrome and just fail to grab the ledge, screwing herself.
The point is that you use it from the right distance. You can choose to explode it whenever you want to. Let go of it early enough so that you will grab the edge.

Multijumpers can just jump behind her safe from the fire and punish as well. Dedede and Kirby can suicide in this situation. DK can super armor through the fire into UpB.
You don't have to do this immediately. If you see them do a higher priority move, just dodge. Again, detonate at the right time and you'll be fine. I highly doubt they will risk doing a third jump.

If she's doing this fairly close to the ground, the super armor comes into play for Up Smash from Ganon and NuetralB from Ike (which can also Meteor smash he from overhead in that case, ouch).
Like in the diagram, do it from a safe distance. They seriously cannot get to you if you do it right.

Also Notable is that if I'm not mistaken, Zelda auto falls after Din's Fire, which means FLUDD and Water gun will kill her here even if they take damage from Din, she'll be too far away to survive then. This tends to work better when used very sparingly, as the risk is higher than it initially appears.
You really need to try this out. You're making points that don't suit the reality. You start high and end low. Do the move, and see how far she can possibly move while controlling the Din. Auto-fall doesn't matter because you wouldn't detonate unless you see an early opening. In which case, they MUST dodge. If you hit them or if they dodge, you have enough time to land, block and roll. She is guarded on the way down. Once she gets there, she can move away before they have the chance to attack. Even with FLUDD or whoever.

I agree. This shouldn't be used every time. It is like using FW from off the edge to hit an opponent: If it doesn't work, you get grabbed. If it works, they fly off the stage, and by the time Zelda recovers from her lag, she can spike them quite easily. In this case, the benefits outweigh the risks at certain percentages.

Basically, try this out on a CPU to get used to the timing. Once you realise the span of time she has to recover, you'll see this isn't *** stupid as this sounds.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
it definitely LARGELY depends on the relative positions of the characters. out of 200 possible relative positions, 25 work well, and 75 look like they'd work well but when you do it you'll figure out it wasn't one of the 25.

I think the points InfernoRage1 made are totally true, but only for some relative positions. This is a totally legit, and fun tactic, if only you pick the correct moments in a match to do it.

Mario and squirtle might actually be able to punish it cruelly. But here or there, that leaves 35 or so members of the cast you can use this against. Din's can even cancel projectiles ! it's a fun guard.

I really recommend using it as you land on ledge, not as you land on turf. The reason being, a an opponent could do an early airdodge to Din's (that is, do an airdodge, and the Din's detonates during the last fifth of its duration) and then be able to hit you while you land

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
::wall of quotes crits you for over 9000 damage::

You should have incorporated that diagram within your original post, maybe an actual picture or video demonstrating how it works. I haven't tried using this before. My recovery consists of just using Wind to grab the ledge for the most part.

-Ai-

Smash Cadet
Yu forgot the rule out the possibility that. The opponent may have an extra jump.

Jumping over dins fire...while yu miss...then are vurnable for an attack....

Satyrium

Smash Cadet
When first playing my beloved Zelda on brawl, I've noticed this too and almost subconsciously mastered it. It's a must for Zelda's horrible recovery in the air.

Villi

Smash Lord
I like doing this, but I agree it would more often than not leave you wide open to give it a try. I would time it so that I explode it right before I grab the ledge, or when I know it's just completely unexpected. Not something for every match.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I love when they think Zelda it's not gonna reach the edge and they taunt :D

so while they taunt... BWAHAHAHA err.. i mean you punish them

Top Bottom