• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: 6 minute game timer

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
I've logged backed in after quite some time to share a post I recently made in my region's facebook group with very minor editing:

Take a step back. The "best of three" concept appears at multiple levels in a tournament: 2 sets lost before elimination, 3-5 games per set (more are required as we get closer to the skill ceiling, and at the smallest level, 3-4 stocks in melee/brawl. There reason why these rules were selected was to accommodate so many characters/stages/strategies in the game (and you know, fun). I feel like most people will agree on the tournament context we're in.

Continuing in the pattern of scaling down from double-elim, to Bo3/5, to 4stocks, the player in winner's bracket has a way better shot against someone coming from loser's bracket (see: grand finals). And someone who one game 1 has a way better shot because of counterpicking (I continue to exploit how dumb counterpicking is). Whoever takes the first stock can stack it up. All of these mechanics help keep a slippery slope - whoever is in the lead ultimately has the advantage. In that same spirit at the level of stocks, whoever's in the lead shouldn't be concerned with taking risks like being aggressive if they do not want - they've already earned their lead. It's up to whoever is behind to prove themselves. That's entire basis of competition.

This isn't a casual Mario Kart. There shouldn't be blue shells or other equalizers. Games like Marvel don't even spawn invincible. YOLO in games like Street Fighter. My suggestion would be to play friendlies for one night with a 6 minute timer and see how different it is. You'll find that most matches will still end in the 2-4 minutes they already do, but when time is a threat and lingering factor this game gets hype. 6 minutes feels right. after looking at the clock at over 95% of my *thousands* of melee matches played, I think it would be a great start and of course, subject to change.

PS: The PikaPika! vs KingToon set-deciding match (game 5 of 5? or was it 3 of 3?) is easily the most climactic match I've ever seen in Smash. Wish I had the link for that.
It ends in the last second where KT gets scarred of a desperation thunder from Pika and gets zoned out of his last stock where he was about to win by %
So feel free to argue any points against me. I welcome discussion and would like to see what you all think about this.

DA K1D

Smash Cadet
Some guy posted 3 stocks 5 minutes awhile ago. I liked that. I should try that.

Top Bottom