• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ditto added in SSBB

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
Just use the random character space and essentially you got ditto. But changing every stock and having defects would be intresting...

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
to all you "n0!!!11! k1rby is teh kopi karacter" *******....
Of course you are soo right we award you the internet! cause every single character in melee that was fun to play was completely original. No there wasnt multiple charge shot characters (M2/samus) no there wasnt multiple sword characters, no there wasnt multiple marios. *rolls eyes*

1. Kirby copies one move. Ditto copies entire character (stats, size, moves)
2. Kirby gets a hat. Ditto is the character, cept pink...and that silly ditto face (to picture easily... go grab the metal box then think pink instead of silver and a dumb grin)
3. Kirby can chose to copy or not. Ditto has no choice.
4. Kirby is limited to the characters on screen (i doubt when playing against a pichu it would be in kirbys advantage to copy :p) Ditto (should) be able to be anyone onscreen or off.

Now concerning some of the other complaints ive seen. The only way ditto would be "god tier" is if you can choose who to become. Screw that. Take their (psuedo?)random generator (gotta be in there, theres random char select, random item, random inside capsule, random inside pokeball, etc.) and apply it to what character he gets.

It wouldnt be that hard to code. Hell if anyone wants i could draw up the psuedo-code that could be used for it. So chances of it taking the place of another character would be slim to none. Just throw him in the corner in place of one of the random character slots (like we need two slots to pick a random character? "i dont like the characters the right side gives me i choose from the left random" :p)

And even if he does take up a slot. Who cares. Here I'll make a complaint form for all you ditto haters.

I ____ fan boy hereby do protest to ditto's inclusion. He will be (circle those that apply) [godly, a kirby clone, pointless] and will take up the slot to include _____. If ___ isn't included in the game it will be because ditto was included and I will go play/watch ____ since I refuse to watch/play anything that they aren't included in.
Signed
________ Fanboy.

(sorry if im being harsh... *laughs* fan boys gonna flame me for this)

X_Arre

Smash Cadet
Ditto would so rock. I actually made a kovelist for him a while back. It consisted of him changing into any character he is facing (^B first player, >B second player, vB third player, B random player. 1,2, and 3 character besides himself obviously.) When transformed he'd taunt to revert back to his normal form. He'd have his own A moves when neutral, and have 2 jumps and an airdodge like everyone else. After dying, he'd go back to neutral.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Wow! I just checked back here and I'm surprised to see how much support Ditto is receiving, even getting some extra ideas. Lately if you Ditto fans noticed, there has been a bunch of bad character ideas flying around. Its just kind of a shame to see good character ideas wasted, like Ditto, Meowth, Captain Olimar, Hammer Bros, and Balloon Fighter.

So lets keep voting DITTO because who really wants to read about a handful of bad characters anyways?

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
_the_sandman_ said:
Wow! I just checked back here and I'm surprised to see how much support Ditto is receiving, even getting some extra ideas. Lately if you Ditto fans noticed, there has been a bunch of bad character ideas flying around. Its just kind of a shame to see good character ideas wasted, like Ditto, Meowth, Captain Olimar, Hammer Bros, and Balloon Fighter.

So lets keep voting DITTO because who really wants to read about a handful of bad characters anyways?

I'm suprised too. Cuz i think ditto is a bad choice.

fluffy

Smash Champion
X_Arre said:
Ditto would so rock. I actually made a kovelist for him a while back. It consisted of him changing into any character he is facing (^B first player, >B second player, vB third player, B random player. 1,2, and 3 character besides himself obviously.) When transformed he'd taunt to revert back to his normal form. He'd have his own A moves when neutral, and have 2 jumps and an airdodge like everyone else. After dying, he'd go back to neutral.
yea so if hes fighting against marth, fox, and shiek, he can turn to any of them? when marth, he willchainthrow fox. when fox, he'll get chainthrowed. when shiek, she willchainthrow marth. awesum!

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
wow jmc, at it again, huh? WHY DO YOU AND FIRESTAR KEEP DOING THIS?! listen, if you really don't like something, then post and explain why not. You and firestar just keep coming into rooms, saying the suggested character is horrible, and then saying the thread should be shut down.

I can see it now, Firestar's gonna come in and start an argument. This will help her and jmc to get higher post counts. Then, they'll just start asking for the thread to be closed.

Now, ditto is an awesome idea. I've always used the random characters in fighting games. I truly believe ditto would add depth for the players that have taken the time to learn all the characters.

Even if the developers decide not to put ditto as a character, he should still be the random thing. Instead of a blank spot, there should be a ditto square. As the match starts, you'll be ditto. This way you still don't know what char you'll be getting. Then, as the timer counts down, you'll transfrom into a random char. The transformation ends intime for the GO!!! screen. That means you wont have to use the first few seconds to transform. This would take even less space than having ditto as a playable character.

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
zomg sooo sorry, but I'm gonna double post. I'd put this in an edit. but I believe it deserves a new post (maybe not)

to add on to the non-playable ditto idea, you could change it's color, and choose between 3 types. Pink would be 1 transformation at the beginning of the match, as explained earlier. Red would be transforming after every fall. Purple would be the craziest. You would transform after every time you get knocked down. This is as in whenever you get hit in a way that causes your character to lie down. You could stop yourself from transforming by teching so you wouldn't lie down. The transformation would only last as long as the lie down, starting as soon as the lie down starts.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Xx swift xX said:
wow jmc, at it again, huh? WHY DO YOU AND FIRESTAR KEEP DOING THIS?! listen, if you really don't like something, then post and explain why not. You and firestar just keep coming into rooms, saying the suggested character is horrible, and then saying the thread should be shut down.

I can see it now, Firestar's gonna come in and start an argument. This will help her and jmc to get higher post counts. Then, they'll just start asking for the thread to be closed.

Now, ditto is an awesome idea. I've always used the random characters in fighting games. I truly believe ditto would add depth for the players that have taken the time to learn all the characters.

Even if the developers decide not to put ditto as a character, he should still be the random thing. Instead of a blank spot, there should be a ditto square. As the match starts, you'll be ditto. This way you still don't know what char you'll be getting. Then, as the timer counts down, you'll transfrom into a random char. The transformation ends intime for the GO!!! screen. That means you wont have to use the first few seconds to transform. This would take even less space than having ditto as a playable character.

you make me laugh. I promised mcfox that i would stop. We already have kirby. so why do we need ditto? and also, i'm not the only person going already sayin that certain characters shouldn't be in.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Xx swift xX said:
to add on to the non-playable ditto idea, you could change it's color, and choose between 3 types. Pink would be 1 transformation at the beginning of the match, as explained earlier. Red would be transforming after every fall. Purple would be the craziest. You would transform after every time you get knocked down. This is as in whenever you get hit in a way that causes your character to lie down. You could stop yourself from transforming by teching so you wouldn't lie down. The transformation would only last as long as the lie down, starting as soon as the lie down starts.

That would make the gameplay.......insane. Maybe it could be a special mode to transform in that craziest form? Or how about for every 30% you change into someone else? Just a thought to add to your thought. I mean I still stick to my idea, but you know I just wanted to add something.

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
How about ditto as just an pokeball pokemon? He comes out, transforms into the nearest player's character, and then basically makes a nuisance of itself until someone kills it.

I've been reading some of the other posts and I guess ditto could work as a chracter. I did use a ditto on one of my G/S teams, and it did okay with proper support. It would make a very deep character if the moves it copied had slightly different properties that those of the original user. In the games you only get a limited number of the attacks you copy, which basically means that ditto was never intended to be in a fight for very long. I guess the developers could ignore that detail if the wanted, in which case you might just have to re-transform after every stock, or the change could be random, as some are saying.

Transforming should come with a price--meaning ditto should not be able to just respawn and transform again. One, he should have to be facing the opponent, which a smart opponent could avoid, making even USING ditto somewhat risky. The transformation should be slow, as in a little slower than going from zelda to shiek, which would mean ditto's going to take a hit no matter what in order to tranform, which falls in line with the pokemon games actually. Ditto was so slow that almost anything other than slowbro and snorlax would be able to get a good hit in on ditto before he could transform into them, unless they were paralyzed or something. Ditto should also have the durability of pichu/kirby. His hit points don't change when he tranforms, so he still dies fast.

Ditto sucked as a pokemon, and should be a low tier character in smash. That's not to say it wouldn't make a cool character, though, because I definitely think it would.

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
I actualy love this idea, just wondering if him only changing on a stock loss would be enough. Perhaps if he got hit too hard? Say someone smashes him, and if he doesnt tech, the impact causes him to shift to something else? I don't think the player should have much/any controll over it, because that could lead to some queer ninja-dittos comboing someone off the screen with marth then mysteriously shinespiking somebody. Don't get me wrong, it would be ****ing cool xD But his changes should be -totaly- random.

Another idea, which has the chance of making him utterly broken, or possibly make this idea too different to be aesthetically viable for Ditto would be to have him/another character of this nature pick say 4 characters that he constantly shifts between, having maybe one of eaches B Moves, and his own set of A Moves? That could be interesting o.o

Anther

Smash Champion
omfg >_<..

JmcShocker16 said:
you make me laugh. I promised mcfox that i would stop. We already have kirby. so why do we need ditto?
Kirby has nothing to do with ANY of the Ditto Proposals. Why don't yall just read and be a productive part of the discussion, instead of saying something stupid like "wtf Kirby's in the gaem." It's not even that you disagree, it's that you're replying totally ignorant of what the topic is supposed to be about >_<

I like the end of stock character change personally, it doesn't even really have to be ditto... it's almost like a random tag-team of sorts... (Which the idea will get so many people angry anyway XD )

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I also think this is a great, creative idea. SSB64 gave us a handful of characters. SSBM gave us a few twists, such as Ice Climbers and Zelda. Why shouldn't SSBB have yet another twist. It would be an awesome character, a unique one, and overall would make me happy.

I agree with the change-every-stock (or fall, in Time, Coin or Bonus). Only, I suggest that at the start of the game, you have to press B to transform. He'd have no attacks, but it would be fun to bounce around as Ditto's true form. Oh, and the whole stay-pink-and-keep-a-Ditto-face idea is amazing.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
The ideas that transforming comes at a price, because you have to wait for Ditto to copy someone, is a pretty nifty idea. Ditto shouldn't immediatly be another character, but maybe he can transform once his invincibility id gone after a lost stock. Plus Ditto looks sweet, and bouncing around as him sounds fun.

Also Ditto being a lower tier character would make him even cooler! I've always enjoyed using low tier characters, as I would also enjoy using Ditto. It would be a match made in heaven. =P

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
If ditto could transform into any character whenever he wanted that would be bad because he could disable someone as mewtwo or make them asleep as jigglypuff, then turn into gano and do B or utilt. :p

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Anther said:
Kirby has nothing to do with ANY of the Ditto Proposals. Why don't yall just read and be a productive part of the discussion, instead of saying something stupid like "wtf Kirby's in the gaem." It's not even that you disagree, it's that you're replying totally ignorant of what the topic is supposed to be about >_<

I like the end of stock character change personally, it doesn't even really have to be ditto... it's almost like a random tag-team of sorts... (Which the idea will get so many people angry anyway XD )

We have kirby. we dont need ditto. so lets squash this.

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
hmm... he could work...

his special attacks, not including B+UP, would make him change into the other three characters on stage. or if it's one on one, he would choose two random people to transform into.

then, each of those characters would have the special attack they are selected with, B + UP, and all their normal attacks and throws, but not the other two special attacks or their ultimate attack.

for instance, if he were to transform into captain falcon, using B, he would simply be captain falcon, but without raptor boost or falcon kick, and those attacks would transform into

And to return to his "true" form (the purple blob) he would taunt, much like kirby would.
however, noone would really want this, as he would play much like the sandbag (in SSBM when using AR) when using him not transformed. an by that, I mean run, walk, jump, double jump.

I think they made him purple to make him look like primordial ooze, as he has instant evolution.

but to not be broken, he would have to be about half power the characters he copies.

and for a finisher, all the other characters could be given a taste of thier own medicine. such as mario and CP bursting into flames, Ice climbers being frozen, snake exploding (assuming he uses explosives, as rumors say) etc.

yea... I now renounce not wanting any new pokemon characters. I'm gonna go put this post in the translate and send suggestions topic. (in some different wording)

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Who the hell made this idea? ditto as a playable character would be ****ing annoying! i meen it would be ****ed up in a tounrmen final where 2 players are at a 1-1 record and settling it for the 2-1 next thing u know he ends up as the other players counter character like shiek vs link

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Link-NY said:
Who the hell made this idea? ditto as a playable character would be ****ing annoying! i meen it would be ****ed up in a tounrmen final where 2 players are at a 1-1 record and settling it for the 2-1 next thing u know he ends up as the other players counter character like shiek vs link

i'm sorry. ditto nay. ok

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
*shakes head* How do some people get past childhood. To prevent abusing of transformation it would be once per stock/life/fall. In other words if you absolutely had to change your character you would have to kill yourself. This would be the price of transform. You dont get to chose who to be, its not limited to the characters on screen. Ditto would be the Mokujin(tekken 3), Combot(tekken 4), Charade (soul caliber 2), Olcadan (soul calibur 3) type character. Each time he comes back he would be different. The using a b move to transform to somone on screen A. would be broken B. what hapens if its four dittos in the same match? Just a random character from the list of characters on each life. I could maybe (thats a very small maybe) see randomly transforming at certain time intervals. But what happens if your flying off the stage as the transformation occurs?

Jmc: "We have kirby. we dont need ditto. so lets squash this."

*shakes head* We have kirby and link so we dont need metaknight. we have pikachu so we dont need pichu. we have mario so we dont need doc or luigi. we have link so we dont need younglink, marth, roy, or anyone else with a sword.

Going by the logic that "kirby is teh only copy character we need you are stoopid." Then we will be highly limiting the number of characters in the game. If there can be only one character of a specific type then how bout we just leave brawl with the characters we've seen in the trailer. Im sure every other character possible could be similar to one of them. So yall heard Jmc no one is allowed to be similar. SSBB is gonna have 9 characters (10 if samus and zerosuit are seperate)

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
I will explain everything AGAIN.

1. Ditto can transform into ANYONE. He could be Link, he could be Shiek, he could be Pichu, he could be Bowser, he can be anyone. So to all the people getting sad over the idea that he has a 1/50 chance of turning into a conter for their character, don't get too hyped up about it. 1/50 is a longshot because it could be that 1 by chance. I mean if everyone knew you used Mario, or even if you picked Mario before your opponent, their going to pick the counterpart if they use them.

So shouldn't you guys be complaining about people picking their counters instead of randomly getting them by chance? Who knows, maybe Ditto will be weak against "your" character? Its random, geez he could get Mewtwo for crying out loud, and you Sheik players are too afraid he might get IC or something.

2. Ditto is nothing like Kirby. Kirby has his own set of moves, while Ditto copies a set of moves. I am more than aware that Kirby can copy ONE MOVE. Not to mention his version is weaker than the original. Have you ever noticed that Kirby's Falcon Punch, Giant Punch and arrows have horrible range compared to the original? Kirby copies the move into HIS version, not the exact version of his opponent.

I'd continue with how silly arguing how Kirby and Ditto are the same. But for those that think that is true, just read these pages and you can find for yourself all the reason why they are different.

Thats my two cents. Lets not get too hyped up on this.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
that's an intense idea, really.

it could be like a pro verse someguy that;s not too great so he says have no fear i'll play ditto to make matches more even but then the pro could get all top tiers or the exact oposite

Gugeno

Smash Rookie
Ditto's not a bad idea , but he seems like what the game really needs: A random character choice. Because noone could get good with 'him' perse since he's always someone different. it would be good though.

Oni Shinigami

Smash Journeyman
I think this idea is ingenius and I'm all for it.

The Tekken series has a character named Mokujin who changes to another character after every round. His purpose is to give the person who knows how to play every charater multiple options to win by show casing his knowlege in the character pool.

If you know how to beat my Falco,can you beat my Link? Sort of scenario,all done during the heat of battle.

Him changing every stock sounds fair enough. But if you actually gave him a side command to change him randomly at will. It would result in some sickening combos.

Imagine if you will comboing someone with Marth or Shiek then transforming mid jump randomly into someone with an amazing fair like Dr. Mario. Sounds like tons of fun to me.

Signed.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Ditto would be a good character, but wouldn't it be unfair to have the entire Brawl roster's arsenal of moves with a touch of a button or flick of the control stick? It'd be too much of an advantage.

If you want Ditto, he'd be fine being in a Pokeball.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oni Shinigami said:
I think this idea is ingenius and I'm all for it.

The Tekken series has a character named Mokujin who changes to another character after every round. His purpose is to give the person who knows how to play every charater multiple options to win by show casing his knowlege in the character pool.

If you know how to beat my Falco,can you beat my Link? Sort of scenario,all done during the heat of battle.

Him changing every stock sounds fair enough. But if you actually gave him a side command to change him randomly at will. It would result in some sickening combos.

Imagine if you will comboing someone with Marth or Shiek then transforming mid jump randomly into someone with an amazing fair like Dr. Mario. Sounds like tons of fun to me.

Signed.
Maybe you could choose which character you wanted to emulate by holding down a certain button, or certain combonation of buttons before the match or before Ditto appears on the angel platform, like when Sheik players get Sheik automatically by pressing A before the fight begins.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
_the_sandman_ said:
I know theres been enough topics relating to pokemon characters already. But some people kind of throw out some really unrealistic ideas for characters like Zapados being playable. Some have good ideas like Blaziken.

Ditto really should be a playable character. We're familiar with how he can transform into other characters, and that could add a lot to the gameplay. But he doesn't have to turn into other characters on the screen, he could turn into any character in the game randomly. The player won't have control of this of course. But for each stock Ditto could be a completely different character. Think of it, in a three stock match you could be Mario, then Pikachu, then Fox.

Of course Ditto will keep his pink skin and goofy face when he transforms.

Now I say this because one time I was playing in a Soul Calibur 2 tournament, and I got to the quarter-finals. I versed a kid who used Charade, if you didn't guess hes a character that becomes anyone randomly. And that kid beat me and won the tournament.

So if Ditto really became a character, players who want a real challenge could pick him. They would have to master/know each character. And to use Ditto seriously would be an honor because that would prove you are ridiculously good at the game.

I'm adding my votes for Ditto any way I can. I hope someone else does too because he really should become a character for this game.

Your points are good, dotdotdot, but what if the match were a coin or time match? I personally think he should be able to do a certain attack on the character he wishes to be. I will admit that this is one of the best thoughts I've seen on this site so far, but there's so much more you have to take in consideration. What would his A moves be, and his B moves (other then transform or whatever.) Good ideas though

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
Unsung Master said:
Your points are good, dotdotdot, but what if the match were a coin or time match? I personally think he should be able to do a certain attack on the character he wishes to be. I will admit that this is one of the best thoughts I've seen on this site so far, but there's so much more you have to take in consideration. What would his A moves be, and his B moves (other then transform or whatever.) Good ideas though
with time the theory still plays through. every fall would cause a character change. Coin might be odd since the goal isnt falls but an object beaten from the opponent.

and to a previous poster. yes it would be cheap to have them at a flick of a button or what not. hence why it must be at every fall. come on its not that hard an idea to see.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
To anyone who thinks Ditto will be.....Ditto.....for a period of time, you're wrong. Although he does need to technically "attack" in GB games for him to transform, he doesn't in the show. [I remember this from what? 7 years now? D*** pokemon burned into my brain.] So from the time he steps out of his teleport tube thing or his pokeball [ssb64 entrances] to the time the match is over, he wouldn't be 'Ditto'.

Thinking about that, if Ditto is NEVER Ditto, then there's probably less time/space/programming needed than even for a clone! The only space needed for Ditto is his box in the Select screen and his watermark behind his percentage. Other than that, one trigger in programming saying "Every time this player dies, give him someone else." Done!

I like it. Yay for Ditto.

Top Bottom