• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Gets No Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zootematix

Artist formally known as ToadBanjoConker
BRoomer
Lately, I've been rummaging around the forums looking at favorite games and the worst games ever.

I've come to the conclusion that DK64 is not a popular game, many despise it. This has me confused.

I loved this game, and it saddens me to see it get bashed over and over again. Granted, Rare did make some mistakes (no Dixie?!?!) but overall, I enjoyed the quality of the game.

It had a unique playing system, with each character having different abilities, fun boss fights, and a hilarious final boss fight, what more would you want in a video game? But seems many gamers were left with a sour taste in their mouths after playing it.

So this topic is to talk about why you hate DK64, why wasn't it good, what could have been improved?

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Heh, yeah, i've always wondered that too. I think DK64 is great. I love the nostalgia you get during the game and the inclusion of Donkey Kong and Jetpack.

I must pay attention to this topic to see the reason why people dislike the game.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I loved this game too! When I first came to this forum, 23 mounts ago, I couldnt figure out why everyone was bashing DK64, but I learnd to not care. I dont see how anyone could say DK64 was the worst game with cr*p like ET(atari) and Superman64 (N64, if you couldnt tell ;) ) around.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I own that game, and i also loved it. The only weird thing i found was that, they turned it into another of these find-stuff-like-crazy games... it was still great, the final battle was so funny..

And it had one of the greatest game scenes of all time, of course i mean the belching piano game.

krillin1986

Smash Champion
So, out of everyone that posted, only 1 person dislikes it....

I own the game, and I am pleased with it! It's a very long game... I personally got really far in it, and then got a new game, and didn't play DK for a few months, then I wanted to beat the game, so I started playing it again, and I beat King R Rool (that's his name right?). I thought it was a decent game... The multiplayer really sucked but ehhh.... The extra bonuses you get from collecting the fairies is awesome too, like dude said about Jetpac and stuff... :)

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
lol mayeb we should just forget the topic:p

Nah a lot of people really don't like this game. I don't know why. The search-and-find concept is better than it is in Banjo Kazooie. I don't own DK 64 but I've rented it many times, and it was really fun to play, even my big brother enjoyed playing the game, which is very unusual.

The game is rather long(depends how much you will explore or rush), great puzzles, many character to add some suger to the game, mini games etc. etc.

This game is not on my Top 10 N64 list, but it's defintely not far from it.

Kaboom

Smash Ace
I hated DK64. Why? I dunno, really... It just didn't really measure up to the standards I set for it. I suppose it was okay, but It just felt too much like other standard Rare platformers. I'm sort of glad that Rare got bought; their recent work has left me dissapointed (Star Fox Adventures, anyone? Although I will miss Perfect Dark Zero). But back on topic, Donkey Kong is one of my favorite Nintendo characters (I even play as him sometimes in Melee), but I just really disliked DK64 for some reason. Meh. :p

inferno

EnFuego
BRoomer
I never bought the game, but ive played it at my friends. What do I have to say? I think its pretty funny. Although I mainly messed around shooting coconuts at things, I did get somewhat into the story.

I didnt play it that much, so I dont know if the whole thing is good. But I certianly dont hate it.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Donkey Kong 64 was a good game. It came with an expansion pack which made it a bit pricey but I believe it was worth it. The game provided a long quest (that was a little too scavenger-hunty) but I believe it is/was superior the the Banjo-Kazooie franchise.

Plus, the multiplayer kicked arse.

P.S. Jetpac rules! :p

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
The game wasn't bad, but I did get really annoyed having to go back to every area as each character to get the different items for those individuals. Repetition bugs me, and I think that aspect of the game makes it pretty tedious. Aside from all of that, the game is great. I still like the side-scrolling DKC's much better though.

As well, I still think Banjo-Kazooie is much more fun than this game.

MJS

NOT A FINGAH!
BRoomer
Originally posted by Crono
I still like the side-scrolling DKC's much better though.
Amen.
That's the only real beef I had with DKC64. But, times change, and sadly we must change with them.

Lanky_F

Smash Ace
I don´t hate DK I love DK64 is awesome and great I don´t know people that hates DK64 I know more people that hates BK and I agree with crono BK was much fun than DK

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I loved that game except for the beaver bothers and the fact u get nothing for collecting everything including the normal bananas...At the end of the day DK don't care, he's popular, a tank, free to stroll around wearing nothing but a tie, and has plenty of gold and Candy Kong to go home to every night...

Roy Dynasty

Smash Journeyman
DK has always been one of my favorite characters. I have the 3 games for SNES and DK64. But when is his next game coming out?! After Rare left I guess Nintendo decided they just don't care about DK anymore. There was also supposed to be another adventure game for the cube. Does anyone know if and when these games are coming out?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I
Love
DK64

Seriously, it's definitely one of the best, if not the best game for N64. Heck, it's probably on my Top 20 best games of all time list.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really liked the game. Plus the Beavers make me laugh. :laugh:
It was amusing at times (Chunky in the Tag Barrel is a very notable one :laugh:), serious at times, and just plain fun at times. Plus, it had the ability obtaining that I love so much; that's part of why I love Metroid and Zelda so much.

I think it was a great game, and I find it insane that it hasn't been remade or at least put on the VC. Then again, I'm not particularly surprised; we get a good VC title just about once a month now.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
DK64 was a good game.

Or at least, I think. People didn't like it because they had huge expectations for it that weren't met.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
That's because Nintendo doesn't give DK love.
Think about it, it began when Rare took over for the DK series.

DKC was downed by Miyamoto when he said it was just pretty game with poor gameplay.

Then when Nintendo sold Rare to Microsoft (don't get it wrong, Rare never wanted to leave their contract for being a second party was almost over and Rare wanted Nintendo to make them first party) Nintendo Tyoko/EAD decided to make Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. The problem, they totally disregard the DKC series. They said the characters weren't fresh enough. No Kong family, no Kremlings, the animal buddies were replaced, (anyone with a brain can tell that Hoofer replaced Rambi) even DK's personality was changed from a carefree bum to a violent guy who wanted to overthrow kings.

Then this small company named PAON decided to make three DK games: Jungle Climber, and Barrel Blast. Those three games were true to the DKC series. The problem is that Nintendo didn't even consider trying to advertise them. Sure, there's the Brawl trophies, but they came too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom