• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Patch Change Research Thread

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Post patch:
Back air: No change, still 114%, same damage
Fsmash: No change, still 73%, same damage,
Fair: No change, still 114%, same damage done.
Uair: No change, still kills at 127%
Dsmash: Kills less reliably at 99% now, but can kill earlier. All hits are from the same distance (with the fist sweetspot)

So far he seems COMPLETELY unchanged,

Storing a punch still 'rolls back' one charge, meaning you still can't store a 10wind punch.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Based on Dantarion's datadump, I can only make an educated guess and assume that DK got 0 real changes. He has a grand total of 5 files changed, and 3 of them are texture stuff. I believe mscsb is a smashball sound effect file and that leaves fighter_param_vl_donkey.bin as the only standout file. What makes me believe nothing of substance was changed is that every character's fighter_param_vl_(name goes here).bin has been changed. I don't notice any real changes in game, so I wouldn't get my hopes up as far as changes go.

As a sidenote, changes to move properties would probably be in a file within folder named animcmd. If you wanted to know if anything of substance changed, the files would be in that folder.

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Based on Dantarion's datadump, I can only make an educated guess and assume that DK got 0 real changes. He has a grand total of 5 files changed, and 3 of them are texture stuff. I believe mscsb is a smashball sound effect file and that leaves fighter_param_vl_donkey.bin as the only standout file. What makes me believe nothing of substance was changed is that every character's fighter_param_vl_(name goes here).bin has been changed. I don't notice any real changes in game, so I wouldn't get my hopes up as far as changes go.

As a sidenote, changes to move properties would probably be in a file within folder named animcmd. If you wanted to know if anything of substance changed, the files would be in that folder.

That is a really, really cool thread and I'm glad you linked it to me. It also pretty much settles it.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

Once we know how to work that datadump, its going to be absurdly nice to figure out changes to presumably unchanged characters

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Once we know how to work that datadump, its going to be absurdly nice to figure out changes to presumably unchanged characters
I briefly looked around for other characters with few changes and found that DK, Fox, and Jiggs (Purin) all have 0 files changed within animcmd. They all have minor model/texture stuff changed, sound files changed, and fighter_param_vl_ changed. Fox also had something done on his landmaster, but I don't think that matters. Samus only has one thing changed in animcmd which is this file animcmd\weapon\samus\bomb.

Earlier I tested air dodge auto-cancel windows between both versions and noticed that in 1.04, every air dodge I tried auto-canceled earlier than before. I tried it on Bowser, Charizard, DK, and Marth. Sadly there is still a brief window after the IASA where landing still lags you, but it is smaller than before.

I have also noticed that Roll Canceled Pivot Grab behavior is different between the patches. I can consistently get pivot grabs in place (little to no slide) with DK and Marth in the older version using RCPG and cannot do so in the newer one. I have switched back and forth between versions and the difference is notable to me.

I think I may know what the changes to everyone's fighter_param_vl_ might be. My working theory is that DACUS removal, and/or air dodges auto-canceling earlier, and/or the changed RCPG behavior are linked to the changes made in everyone's fighter_param_vl_(insert name here).bin file. Since every character's fighter_param_vl_ file got changed and these are the only things I've noticed being different for multiple characters with few/no changes, I think it's a good guess. Hopefully @Dantarion can save the day by making the relevant binary file changes readable for us lowly humans.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Fantastic Job Big O!
Thanks for laying our questions to rest!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, on one hand, at least there isn't any specific adjusting that needs done with playing DK in 1.04. On the other hand, it would have been cool if we had some new toys to play with... ah well. At least DK didn't get nerfed!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I briefly looked around for other characters with few changes and found that DK, Fox, and Jiggs (Purin) all have 0 files changed within animcmd. They all have minor model/texture stuff changed, sound files changed, and fighter_param_vl_ changed. Fox also had something done on his landmaster, but I don't think that matters. Samus only has one thing changed in animcmd which is this file animcmd\weapon\samus\bomb.

Earlier I tested air dodge auto-cancel windows between both versions and noticed that in 1.04, every air dodge I tried auto-canceled earlier than before. I tried it on Bowser, Charizard, DK, and Marth. Sadly there is still a brief window after the IASA where landing still lags you, but it is smaller than before.

I have also noticed that Roll Canceled Pivot Grab behavior is different between the patches. I can consistently get pivot grabs in place (little to no slide) with DK and Marth in the older version using RCPG and cannot do so in the newer one. I have switched back and forth between versions and the difference is notable to me.

I think I may know what the changes to everyone's fighter_param_vl_ might be. My working theory is that DACUS removal, and/or air dodges auto-canceling earlier, and/or the changed RCPG behavior are linked to the changes made in everyone's fighter_param_vl_(insert name here).bin file. Since every character's fighter_param_vl_ file got changed and these are the only things I've noticed being different for multiple characters with few/no changes, I think it's a good guess. Hopefully @Dantarion can save the day by making the relevant binary file changes readable for us lowly humans.
I need further confirmation on the air dodge and RCPG changes which is why I never included them. I will be making a "No changes" part of the patch notes soon, and I may include DK, Fox, and Jigglypuff. People should look into Samus' bomb...

Going through the dumps is an amazing tool that would help us quite a bit. Even just identifying which moves have been changed for which characters so we just know where to look would be AMAZING.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah I understand. At this stage, everything that gets on the list should be verified by more than one source. I also wouldn't mind being wrong about RCPG's though. It does seem like something that could be different with c-stick (real) controls.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Nintendo telling us what they did sure would save us a lot of time :/

Luigi player

Smash Master
They really need to fix that DK falls to his death if you block his giant punch and he's having his back to the ledge. In Brawl DK at least got to grab the ledge then. But now he just falls to his death. I just tried to test if this was changed but it's still the same.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Poor Donkey Kong. I want to be good as him as he's my favourite Ninty character, but he's just so... poor. No matter how much I learn as him, there's always someone who can outmatch him to no end. Except for another Donkey Kong of course. :p

Top Bottom