• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Tactical Discussion: Official "Ask Strong Bad Stuff.. About Stuff" thread

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
C-calm down...?!

AHAHAHAHAHA, unlikely!

Also I didn't get any of this done today because I was busy working on something else (!!!!) so I'll get to it tomorrow.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
That was easier than I thought.

Jigglypuff [60]
Uthrow: +23
F/Bthrow: +20​

Bowser [118]
Uthrow: +23
F/Bthrow: +20​

Bowser and Jiggs have the same frame disadvantage so... I guess it's probably standardized across the cast.

Tested at 0%, the frame advantage goes up steadily the more damage the enemy has.

Also dthrow is garbage, it has like, +4.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
several characters have weight-dependent throw speed. all of DK's cargo throws are weight independent in speed, the rest of them are dependent.

Joe: MU seems evenish but it could be that people just don't know how to use Lucas properly yet. I didn't have much trouble with either of Neon or Pink Fresh when I played.
Neon's better tho

Last edited:

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
How do you deal with a high pressure sonic? By that I mean after the neutral, what is the best way to DI so that Dk escapes the earliest?
In neutral should Dk just space with bairs, tilts and hand slap for shutting down his down b or is there a better tactic?

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the double post but I was practicing today and on accident I found that when Dk faces away from the ledge and jumps off the stage while charging the punch, if you cancel the charge right next to the ledge dk will auto grab the ledge. Is this a known thing that Dk can do or is this a bug? either way its pretty nice to know.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post but I was practicing today and on accident I found that when Dk faces away from the ledge and jumps off the stage while charging the punch, if you cancel the charge right next to the ledge dk will auto grab the ledge. Is this a known thing that Dk can do or is this a bug? either way its pretty nice to know.
Its a known thing, or at least i knew. You can use this as a good mix up or purposely drop below ledge, cancel charge, and bair. I sometimes charge punch on ledge when im ledgehopping for invincibility

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I saw something about ledge grabbing in the files regarding megaton punch

I'll take a look at home

Oracle

Smash Master
Lucas and DK probably pretty even. DKs dashdance is good enough to avoid most of lucas' stuff and pkf isn't the type of projectile to shut dk down. Lucas is pretty tiny so he can't really avoid dk's dash grab without taking a big risk. But i'm pretty sure dk can't sdi out of low percent dair chains, so if dk doesn't shield a dair he's pretty much boned. I'd have not actually played a good dk yet with lucas so i'm not 100% sure

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Hey Strongbad, if i stop charging my giant punch right before full, its the 9-wind punch right? 9-wind gives more knock back but less damage correct? If I'm correct so far, why wouldn't everyone use the 9-wind instead of full all the time?

SkunkyDaniel

Smash Rookie
I've been having trouble getting the timing with full hop cargo u-throws>any follow up (fair, mighty punch), especially at high percentages. Any tips/suggestions on how to be more consistent? I know how important this string is as a finisher, and it always pains me to get a grab at KO percents and whiff a fair >.<

POOB

Smash Journeyman
I've been having trouble getting the timing with full hop cargo u-throws>any follow up (fair, mighty punch), especially at high percentages. Any tips/suggestions on how to be more consistent? I know how important this string is as a finisher, and it always pains me to get a grab at KO percents and whiff a fair >.<
Well since no one else responded to this in the past week, i guess i will(dude u coulda asked me in the dbdi chat xD)
Ill just give u a bunch of small tips instead of trying to point out one main problem.
First of all, you dont alway need to fair or dk punch, those are slow moves that often require a decent read. think about where you are on the stage. I.e., if you are on the right of a stage after a grab and the opponent is in kill % and you want to fair, face the left. This way if they di behind you(to the right) and you dont expect it, you can at least bair them. The bair is weaker but it doesnt matter since they are already close to the edge, even if it doesnt kill it will put you in a great edgeguard situation. Then of course if they di left, u can fair them.
Another tip, be quick with your decision. The less time they have to think about their di, the better.
Also, On non spacies, except sometimes falcon, i like full hop cargo f throw or b throw to fair. Turning around to mess up their di works like a charm if u are quick. I dont see a lot of DK players do this, but ive been successfull with it at tournaments against great players, so it is legit.
Lastly, nair is also a powerful option as well. think about their % and if you really need a fair or dk punch to kill.
Hope this helps :)

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
one place that is almost always good to use the down b is when you're close to the ledge (but not too close, enemy needs to be able to tech, not fall off stage) facing the ledge, and you get a grab. Versus characters that fall fast what you want to do is down throw and then down b. they can't tech roll away because there is no stage to work with. if they tech in place, miss tech, or roll in the down b will hit.

also, what do you guys think about DK vs falcon?

Last edited:

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Can you chain grab fox with down throw at high percents like around 100% or was I just reading this guy like a book?
I cant tell if the DI just looked like it but it didnt seem like he had enough time to jump around and I got 3 in a row into dair off stage to finish the last stock (badass I know.) but I was curious if it was a real thing or not.

Returnofthemac

Smash Cadet
Im pretty sure that the fox you played had abysmal Di. For fast fallers in general they would have to DI up and in to get a regrab. If they DI down and away then they will set up for a tech chase situation. Either way with fox, falco, falcon and wolf the best throw is almost always cargo up throw to uair chains which lead right into a DK punch or fair for the kill

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Im pretty sure that the fox you played had abysmal Di. For fast fallers in general they would have to DI up and in to get a regrab. If they DI down and away then they will set up for a tech chase situation. Either way with fox, falco, falcon and wolf the best throw is almost always cargo up throw to uair chains which lead right into a DK punch or fair for the kill
Yeah, I kind of thought so... Hahaha. Thanks though. I mean I just went with it but I was so surprised I just had to ask. I tested it out more and your right it just has to do with DI.
I know about those regrabs but I wanted to style so I did the down grab and go the regrab so I was surprised.

eye lyk 2 stylz

Renji64

Smash Lord
Any advice with dealing with fox i was getting shined and bopped like the bop it toy all over the stage i never fought much foxes in general for some odd reason.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy, fox is hands down my favorite matchup. Chain grab him up to like mid 30's by just doing cargo upthrow and regrab by reading his DI. Then you will do cargo short hop upthrow and uair him endlessly until about 80-90 and then go for a fair or donkey punch. Every grab you get on him could be a stock if you play it right. In the neutral game you are just going to bait his attacks and then go in and punish, foxes love to throw out dash attack and nair so just dash back and then go back in with grab/dash attack. If he is being patient all of your approach options are pretty viable so its all about mixing up dash attack/bair/nair/tilts/grabs. Basically grab the guy and mess him up. Make sure to dash dance a lot and keep mobile. Ledgeguard him with bair/dtilt/ftilt/upb. There is just so much to say about this matchup you can feel free to message me if you need more details. I haven't lost to a fox in tournament yet

D

Deleted member

i never read this forum, i don't play dk, and i don't know anything about dk. i just wanted to stop in and say that strongbad beat me into loving this character

<3

SpiderMad

Smash Master
i never read this forum, i don't play dk, and i don't know anything about dk. i just wanted to stop in and say that strongbad beat me into loving this character

<3
As in playing DK yourself some now?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

nah, me and adam played a match at apex that was sheik vs DK on YS that was literally 7 combos that were all 0-death, except i got 3 of them and he got 4 so he won last stock at 0%. best match evar. idk i just like how this character came out and i never thought i'd give half a shit about dk and it's refreshing i guess.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What would you say to your past self to appreciate DK

Last edited:

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Really? I thought Lucas pretty much beats DK pretty easily... like 60-40
Lucas beats DK hands down. Anyone who disagrees hasn't played a great lucas, or they are just gods at that MU :p

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Lucas beats DK hands down. Anyone who disagrees hasn't played a great lucas, or they are just gods at that MU :p
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.... Hahaha. DK would get hit by every projectile and it would be really hard for DK to space.... since he can't really because Lucas is so much more mobile.... Hahaha.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
The more I learn certain matchups, the more I believe DK can be a 1 main character. It may sound crazy to some ppl, but that's what I'm leaning towards. A lot of ppl jump to conclusions about matchups being against them instead of admitting they got outplayed. In the past 3-4 weeks, I've cut down my number of bad matchups/believed to be bad matchups from 10 to 4. Those 4 being ivysaur, ZSS, ness, lucas. Ness I have a feeling is just me, since I remember seeing Strong Bad destroy a Ness on youtube lol. I've faced so many great links recently, that in my point of view it's a 50/50 matchup, even though on paper it would probably be heavily in links favor. Experience is everything fellas!

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
strong bad did destroy a ness, i believe at shuffle V. ive seen the video, and dont forget to take into consideration that the particular player could have been either having an off day, or was a just not that good overall. in those matches, the person playing ness definitely was playing extremely poorly due to one of the aforementioned reasons. so dont take that as evidence for the MU.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
The more I learn certain matchups, the more I believe DK can be a 1 main character. It may sound crazy to some ppl, but that's what I'm leaning towards. A lot of ppl jump to conclusions about matchups being against them instead of admitting they got outplayed. In the past 3-4 weeks, I've cut down my number of bad matchups/believed to be bad matchups from 10 to 4. Those 4 being ivysaur, ZSS, ness, lucas. Ness I have a feeling is just me, since I remember seeing Strong Bad destroy a Ness on youtube lol. I've faced so many great links recently, that in my point of view it's a 50/50 matchup, even though on paper it would probably be heavily in links favor. Experience is everything fellas!

I have a feeling Link destroys DK.... just zone em out!!!!!

Top Bottom