• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK went down again...

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
hey, last weekend i got 4/81 w/ state rep from TX to FL to georgia. i consider that a relatively major tourney.

and i almost always CP Yoshis and spam the UpB Glitch. Its deffinately helped me, but people start banning it against me now, lol.

but i'm not arguing- i think DK is where he deserves to be. He's a amazing character- with too many bad matchups.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
hey, last weekend i got 4/81 w/ state rep from TX to FL to georgia. i consider that a relatively major tourney.

and i almost always CP Yoshis and spam the UpB Glitch. Its deffinately helped me, but people start banning it against me now, lol.

but i'm not arguing- i think DK is where he deserves to be. He's a amazing character- with too many bad matchups.
Good job at the tournament dude, whenever I ask TX players about good DKs you're always the first one they mention. Is the Invincibility Tech really that good? I find it clashes too often... but I spam it too lol.

daisho

Smash Lord
Good job at the tournament dude, whenever I ask TX players about good DKs you're always the first one they mention. Is the Invincibility Tech really that good? I find it clashes too often... but I spam it too lol.
When you hit them with it its amazing... Since the first hit misses it hits with all the small hits and does at least 15% almost all the time.

And hooray for me going to my first tournament in 3 weeks... I suck but still...

Tujex

Smash Ace
If we had more tourneys in this area I'd be repping the great ape to the fullest.

I'm heading over to do the Gamebattles Ladder to help improve my game a bit more, but like I said...tourneys around here are far and few in between. I'm more than sure i could place highly with Dk since the only Smashers around here I can't beat are Chad and Iori.

*at least that I know of :p*

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion

I'm sure they would've predicted for you to do the glitch with up B again at least to the third time, and ironically Donkey Kong has many good stages. I think my other post has the stages in one of the stickies, or the social thread.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
That's the beauty of it :) even if they predict it... what the hell are they gonna do about it?
Haha! :)
A longer ranged attack such as Marth's forward smash, or just jumping or running the opposite way ;). You're right it has beastly beauty.

Go look at my post in the Metagame advancement thread so i can continue this with something...

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
They can't even attack it because it's invincible. Yoshi's is usually my CP but everyone in my state bans that stage against me now. Every single person bans it. That's gay.

Tujex

Smash Ace
The technique makes DK god-tier....and people will do what they can to make you mortal again.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
You guys haven't seen people hit Donkey Kong out of his Up B before have you? I'm talking about when Donkey Kong is spinning and hasn't hit the guy yet, but is a foot away. :dizzy:
In this first video, DK takes damage during his spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzpeCiK81fY&feature=fvw

DK keeps the super armor from the upB.

In this other video, DK takes no damage as he spins through the lasers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FXO43sUAc

So I guess in the second one DK keeps his invincibility from when he grabbed the edge?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
In this first video, DK takes damage during his spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzpeCiK81fY&feature=fvw

DK keeps the super armor from the upB.

In this other video, DK takes no damage as he spins through the lasers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FXO43sUAc

So I guess in the second one DK keeps his invincibility from when he grabbed the edge?
Thanks for showing him. He keeps the invincibility by landing during the invincibility frames from the aerial up b.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Guys i got to admit that there were two things that were extremely wrong with this tier list.

The first and foremost was that DK got dropped 4 places. That truly wasn't warrented. The only reason he dropped was because no one plays DK. Which is sad because a tier list is suppose to represent how viable a character is when being played at their fullest, not some popularity contest"*cough* pikachu *cough* Diddy". DK is still absoulute ****, and he was 10th for a reason. I feel for you guys, but hey i might start going to tournies and use DK to try and help.

The second thing wrong, if you care, was that Yoshi was below Lucas, Mario, and Ness.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
That video is super old too with the glitch...I already saw it four months ago.
Yeah it is. but still, you have to remember that not everyone has seen all of these videos before, and just might come across it after everyone else has seen it

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I like how all of these new DK mains are starting to come out of no where ever since DK went down.

DK players! UNITE!

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
He is pretty ****, thats is why he is now my secondary behind Ness, so he can deal with marth, g&w, and Snake. Ness gets ***** by them. But yea DK didn't deserve the drop, that he got.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Why do people get bummed about a tier list?

A tier list to me is something that quickly tells you in as little amount of details as possible who the best character is. Not taking into account the match ups of a character, and how good a character can do on a stage. Or how much practice and a learning curve a character has on it. To me the tier list only becomes truth when the game dies, and even then there could still be more to learn. Like Melee as of now the tier list seems final as of now, or some slight changes.

I personally like having a lower tier character so we are the characters that everyone is trying to find techniques to beat you. Like that hold up when we cargo to break out faster. And in turn we can find out more things like combos and strats that people would expect.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
hey DK mains its been a loooooooooong time since i last posted anything

but i just now saw the updated tier list.
unfortunately i think we just have to accept that the characters above DK deserve their spot.
that doesnt mean we have to stop ****** with the ape, it just means it will be more awesome when you get a win.

but like Killah said, DK started pretty high, and he has a pretty basic metagame, so of course he could only go down in a tier list.

daisho

Smash Lord
DK is now pretty much in the same spot (comparatively to the number of characters) as melee DK was. Which do you guys like better?

I never played DK in melee but i sometimes watch videos of him and he looks so awesome... those u air and u throw combos are ****.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
but like Killah said, DK started pretty high, and he has a pretty basic metagame, so of course he could only go down in a tier list.
If there was no infinate on DK, i'd say he belongs right below marth, which is 7th. He has no real bad match-ups against the other top tiers. Goes really close to even with MK. IMO beats Snake. In most cases he has advantages over many of the other top tier chars. So i don't think he was placed to high in the first place. It's about where he belongs. He is one of the best spacing characters in the game. One of the hardest to kill, and he kills really early.

So to sum things up DEDEDE is retarted.:urg:

crifer

Smash Lord
... DK slightly looses to: mk (60:40- 55:45)
goes even with: Snake (45:55?), game and watch, goes even with rob, kirby, tl, luc, pit, zss
has a very (!) minimal disadvantage (but winable) against: wario (cg), falco imo, diddy, pika, oli, ic´s
getting ***** by: D3,
slightly beats marth

IMO

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I kinda prefer DK to be lower tier. Makes me feel better about winning with him.

You can look at matchups all you want, but the problem is that there aren't any DKs placing in tournaments that matter. He's not going to go up if nobody is doing well with him.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Nobody that makes the tier list knows as much about DK as we do. Their opinions aren't important to me.

daisho

Smash Lord
The SBR are the ones who make the tier lists right?

Isn't cyphus in it?

But yeah, DK is underrepresented especially in their compared to some higher tiered characters.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So whos going to Genesis next month?

Ill be sure to rep DK hard and proud.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
you're right, and its ironic i've had the best DK placings of 09, yet i'm the most pessimistic about DKs ability.

in the tier list debate (prior to voting on lists) we just argue about characters randomly. I brought up DK and my argument for him having too many hard matchups to be considered high tier material. Its not so much that he's "mid tier", as much as the fact that...there are simply many characters simply better than him.
ddd, falco, olimar, pit, mk, diddy, ect...theres so much pressure on DK to REALLY learn the matchups. This is why he is a difficult character to master. Most high tiers can use a set playstyle that dominates half the cast ('nado, banana-whoring, chainthrows, etc) DK really, truly must change his play style for so many different oponents. and some of them just offer so much of an unbalanced reward/risk...i just consider it too much, when there are so many other characters that avoid these problems through simplicity.

every stock vs pit, u can expect getting grabbed (pit is amazing at getting grabs w/ his pivot, jabs, etc) and a chainthrow into f.smash. you also have to eat arrows to the body every time you try to recover, plus forcing you to approach. a mistake as Dk might mean getting mirror shielded, grabbed, or getting caught w/ his forward B really ackwardly by the edge. But when pit makes a mistake at high percentages, DK's punishment is death. And this is why DK can beat pit, because they're not played perfectly as characters, and mistakes happen...but i think the more skilled and approaching top-level play we push the characters...the lower DK is going to go, because we've been having to substitute finding cheap tactics with situational tricks.

also, i would not have written nearly that much if not for the fact that i am not sober. that is all.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I feel like the better we get the more opportunities we'll have to land kill moves. Granted the better the competition gets the less we get to punish them. It's a trade off. Natural selection if you will. DK is such a solid character that he won't get killed off, he'll thrive.

Has anyone else been abusing the 2 frames of landing lag from air dodges like I have? That's how I get the majority of my kills recently and it's extremely effective and safe and DK is amazing at it.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
you're right, and its ironic i've had the best DK placings of 09, yet i'm the most pessimistic about DKs ability.

in the tier list debate (prior to voting on lists) we just argue about characters randomly. I brought up DK and my argument for him having too many hard matchups to be considered high tier material. Its not so much that he's "mid tier", as much as the fact that...there are simply many characters simply better than him.
ddd, falco, olimar, pit, mk, diddy, ect...theres so much pressure on DK to REALLY learn the matchups. This is why he is a difficult character to master. Most high tiers can use a set playstyle that dominates half the cast ('nado, banana-whoring, chainthrows, etc) DK really, truly must change his play style for so many different oponents. and some of them just offer so much of an unbalanced reward/risk...i just consider it too much, when there are so many other characters that avoid these problems through simplicity.

every stock vs pit, u can expect getting grabbed (pit is amazing at getting grabs w/ his pivot, jabs, etc) and a chainthrow into f.smash. you also have to eat arrows to the body every time you try to recover, plus forcing you to approach. a mistake as Dk might mean getting mirror shielded, grabbed, or getting caught w/ his forward B really ackwardly by the edge. But when pit makes a mistake at high percentages, DK's punishment is death. And this is why DK can beat pit, because they're not played perfectly as characters, and mistakes happen...but i think the more skilled and approaching top-level play we push the characters...the lower DK is going to go, because we've been having to substitute finding cheap tactics with situational tricks.

also, i would not have written nearly that much if not for the fact that i am not sober. that is all.
DK is essentially in the same position as Marth is in that regard. Both have to work extremely hard for their wins, there is no set style that they can rely on against everyone else unlike the MK's, Snakes, Falcos, DDD, Diddy's and Warios.

Now that said one would think that either Marth should be down there with DK or DK should be up there around Marth but, unfortunately for DK, there is the DDD and Wario factor.

You all know that DK gets ***** by DDD's and Wario's chaingrab, and Olimar is just a grab ***** against you (IC's i skipped b/c they have it on everyone; just a bit easier on DK). If it weren't for the DDD/Wario matchup, DK would most likely be in A tier.

He does better against MK and Snake than Marth does, and he doesn't do too horribly against Falco (55:45 falco adv imo); he also does fine against Marth. Again, the problem is of the other ppl left in S-tier, DK gets wrecked.

That stops him from progressing at tourney's, thus hurting his tier-ranking. The reason he dropped 4 spots this time is mainly because of the ascension of Wario, and to a lesser extent Diddy, as well as DDD still being up there.

Top Bottom