• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dks r predictable?

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
how do u remain unpredictable with dk? i think it's hard for us to be unpredictable because well frnakly we main dk and its dk lol... so thoughts? i heard its okay to purposely let yourself get hit by your opponent so u dont stay predictable (ally said that lol)

i think the main problem with dks (which is why we often lose) is because we get predictable. bum was successful because he had an amazing mindset which permits him to be unpredictable and random

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
start walking everywhere

full hop air dodge or just full hop do nothing.

narrate your plan of attack out loud

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
As dumb as it sounds, do something stupid to make them think something completely different, then do something smart, they dont always expect it immediatly afterwards, especially if u r stupid multiple times :p (Lol this post is fail)

Tujex

Smash Ace
Z'zgashi has a point. I allow myself to be attacked by throwing in noobie roll dodges, or throwing out an obviously bad attack like an Nair instead of a Bair.

Random things like that will keep your opponent guessing and prevent you from being predictable. DK is a LOT less predictable than some other chars, he has a WIDE range of approaches...and at least ALL of his attacks are decent...so feel free to use all of them. Most people expect the Grounded UpB, Bair, Ftilt....so throw in a random Fair or aerial DownB to throw them off.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
i hate dks who sandbag the first hit and get you with a down smash. If your opponent doesn't have a projectile you can put them in a position where they will use a low knockback move that you can sandbag and deal more damage then they had. i hate dks in basic brawl.....

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
start walking everywhere

full hop air dodge or just full hop do nothing.

narrate your plan of attack out loud
pretty much this. mix in grabs with your dtilt/utilts and upb/downb, and vary your bair timings/occasionally mix in a headbutt. your smashes should are all really predictable, so only use them in good situations (airdodges/punishment for dsmash, eating landings/spacing punish for fsmash, beating dairs/platform tech chases for usmash).

dk's a predictable mother****er in the air but his ground game has a few options. don't do something stupid but mix in everything viable

oh, and calling out whatever you're doing does work

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Z'zgashi has a point. I allow myself to be attacked by throwing in noobie roll dodges, or throwing out an obviously bad attack like an Nair instead of a Bair.

Random things like that will keep your opponent guessing and prevent you from being predictable. DK is a LOT less predictable than some other chars, he has a WIDE range of approaches...and at least ALL of his attacks are decent...so feel free to use all of them. Most people expect the Grounded UpB, Bair, Ftilt....so throw in a random Fair or aerial DownB to throw them off.
WTF? aerial down B?

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
As dumb as it sounds, do something stupid to make them think something completely different, then do something smart, they dont always expect it immediatly afterwards, especially if u r stupid multiple times :p (Lol this post is fail)
Advance when someone would think you would defend.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
how do u remain unpredictable with dk? i think it's hard for us to be unpredictable because well frnakly we main dk and its dk lol... so thoughts? i heard its okay to purposely let yourself get hit by your opponent so u dont stay predictable (ally said that lol)

i think the main problem with dks (which is why we often lose) is because we get predictable. bum was successful because he had an amazing mindset which permits him to be unpredictable and random
Every character is predictable. A character becomes predictable when you can successfully predict what move they'll do, at all times. Even Meta Knight is extremely predictable, but that's where priority comes in and takes over the predictability.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Every character is predictable. A character becomes predictable when you can successfully predict what move they'll do, at all times. Even Meta Knight is extremely predictable, but that's where priority comes in and takes over the predictability.
That's pretty horrible logic. Mixup potential is in fact quantifiable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And I have reasons for it that you haven't countered. AND furthermore, I've actually played that part of the matchup against good players, and only wish that I had more technical control over my own character before I experimented with what I found, because if G&W does his **** correctly, I can't see how DK is punishing it on reaction.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you have yet to mention one of the top placing DK's that you play against. the one's you named are not top placing. I've never even heard of them and I bet most people haven't either.

to your argument I do have a counter point.

you say that G&W camping on a platform absolutely destroys DK because of d-tilt. this is utter non sense. DK has the second strongest verticle kill move in the game, second to IVY. you are one of the lightest characters in the game a good deal above DK. if you even throw out D-tilt, you are going to be punished.

d-tilt hits frame 6-15/25 which is very long but if youre using it as I'm under you, it won't hit the later frames. itll hit the early ones which means DK has the option to shield drop d-smash you which has tight timing but still possible so up-tilt is better AND it still can kill G&W around 120%. and if he PS the d-tilt up smash is possible. and from where you are on the stage, you won't survive past ~65% which DK can get you up to in 4-5 hits

that position is a disadvantage against DK. up-smash also beats G&W key

anything else you care to throw at me?

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Lol go Ripple. Btw, I have played Vinnie on Battlefield in tournament, and I 2 stocked him solidly. Both times I have ever played him in tournament I have 2-0ed him.

Battlefield is just as good a stage for DK as it is G&W, the difference being that on that stage in the DK vs G&W matchup, DK just has to stay off of the platforms. =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've played SRK, Dantarion, and Bigfoot, and Bigfoot only managed to barely beat me on BF when I was playing poorly. SRK I do know gets to play DSF frequently.

Donkey Kong has NO options to get past G&W's D-tilt as an edgeguard. He is forced to edgeroll simply to get past this, which is punishable by a kill move. D-tilt from the platform stops him from approaching and if the G&W has any sense of spacing, he's not going to just use it when you're directly under him, but rather to hit from the "Sheik zone". The trick for G&W is that most G&Ws don't know how to buffer D-tilt from platform correctly.

D-air from the platform is also safe and likely to shield poke, and you're really not going to be beating it with Up-smash if he knows how to do platform drop -> D-air.

And nearly all the G&W players I see fail horribly at edgetrapping. This alone makes it way too easy for G&W to get a kill. You can REACT to all of Donkey Kong's ledge getups and as long as you know the <100% getup attack crosses you over on shield, he can't do **** to get up safely.

G&W is also capable of D-smashing Donkey Kong from above (more situational).

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I've played SRK, Dantarion, and Bigfoot, and Bigfoot only managed to barely beat me on BF when I was playing poorly. SRK I do know gets to play DSF frequently.

Donkey Kong has NO options to get past G&W's D-tilt as an edgeguard. He is forced to edgeroll simply to get past this, which is punishable by a kill move. D-tilt from the platform stops him from approaching and if the G&W has any sense of spacing, he's not going to just use it when you're directly under him, but rather to hit from the "Sheik zone". The trick for G&W is that most G&Ws don't know how to buffer D-tilt from platform correctly.

D-air from the platform is also safe and likely to shield poke, and you're really not going to be beating it with Up-smash if he knows how to do platform drop -> D-air.

And nearly all the G&W players I see fail horribly at edgetrapping. This alone makes it way too easy for G&W to get a kill. You can REACT to all of Donkey Kong's ledge getups and as long as you know the <100% getup attack crosses you over on shield, he can't do **** to get up safely.

It is true that DK is limited when he is on the edge and trying to get onto the stage.

However, DK can up-b stall and bait G&W into making a mistake so that he can recover onto the stage safely. I have, however, experienced much difficulty in getting past a G&W that knows how to edge trap very well.

I have had such experiences while fighting a G&W main from LI that doesn't get to tournaments too often but he is very good- Mike G. Every time I would try to get up attack, he would d-tilt or jab to clash. And DK also has to look out for the dash attack stage spike.

Most DK's know that rolling from the edge at or under 100% is a terrible option, especially against G&W. So frankly, I don't see that as a viable recovery option unless the G&W is standing right next to the edge, allowing DK to get past him.

In times where it is imperative for DK to get back onto the stage against G&W, his best option is almost always his double jump. True, this puts him in a position to be juggled, but DK has good aerial DI and can travel across most of the stage, allowing for a position with which he can cover himself with b-airs.

In addition to what Ripple was saying, if G&W is EVER caught on a platform at around at least 55-60%, he is in position to be instantly killed by an up smash or mindgame charged up smash by baiting the spot dodge. Also, I have lost count of the amount of times I have up smashed a G&W out of d-air on a platform. The trick is to catch G&W right as he lands from d-airing fairly high above the platform. If G&W short hop d-airs on the platform, the multiple hitboxes will beat DK's attempt to up smash since the d-air is simply faster than anything DK can really do on reaction aside from shielding/avoiding it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I've not heard of the first two and I think I said last time that bigfoot does not main DK anymore.

also....johns

Donkey Kong has NO options to get past G&W's D-tilt as an edge guard. He is forced to edge roll simply to get past this, which is punishable by a kill move. D-tilt from the platform stops him from approaching and if the G&W has any sense of spacing, he's not going to just use it when you're directly under him, but rather to hit from the "Sheik zone". The trick for G&W is that most G&Ws don't know how to buffer D-tilt from platform correctly.
he can jump get off>up b and land lagless or get up attack or roll or even just stand up which is less safe but it cause the opponent to think they are either doing a get up attack or roll. and may cause them to shield.

if G&W d-tilts away from DK so that it doesn't hit, then DK can just bair you after the hit box is gone. it probably has a high change of trading but its more than worth it since you die earlier.

it doesn't matter if players buffer d-tilt right or not, its punishable

when has sheik zone been a term used in brawl? I've never heard anybody reference that

DK can duck under key and then walk away of just keep ducking and react to what G&W does.

and what are you doing to get the heaviest character in the game off the stage so far so that he has to up-b at low %? oh that's right! NOTHING

Fair is your only move that hits anyone at a sideways angle. and with DK's aerial mobility and weight he wont go far enough out until 80% but won't kill until 120% that may sound not too bad but Fair is not always a smart move because you can get heavily punished for it.

FULL HOP FAIR CAN BE PUNISHED!

what else you got?

Top Bottom