• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC Crew: State of the Business

Kaotical

Smash Ace
DLC Crew Thread

As part of the new WBR restructuring, this DLC crew has been formed and I was asked to be the leader by Yeroc. I graciously accepted the offer, and look forward to seeing what we can do for the community. I am by no means an expert in this field, but I do have programming and testing experience and knowledge that I can use to assist the rest of the crew.

The DLC crew will use this thread as a base for discussion and will house our agenda. Below is the list of the DLC team, the people who should be posting here the most.

DLC team:
- Kaotical (Leader)
- Eldiran
- Team Giza
- Falco400/SMK
- MK26
- DarkDragoon

Our Mission
Our mission is to provide the community with entertaining, finished and ready-to-use downloadable content to enhance the players' experience with Brawl and its many forms and to be a guide to those who wish to make their own material.

We offer assistance with downloadable content and all of the custom tools to provide a better experience for those using DLC and for those making DLC. We are here to work with the various project teams to aid them with whatever DLC they wish to include in their respective projects. We will work in collaboration with the other teams to further our goals and theirs as a community.

Current Projects

Eldiran
Ganondorf as Sigma
fortwaffles' Ike as Isaac
ROB for Brawl-?

MK26
Stage DLC Pack​

Material

Please Read
I will post various works that DLC crew members have made by their respective names. It would be helpful if DLC crew members posted or sent me links that include most/all of their ready-made material. This will be used as a reference for which crew members specialize in which fields. Projects that each member has been or is working on will be listed as well.

Please keep all posts on this thread related to the DLC and the agenda. Opinions are more than welcome, but stay on topic. This thread will be updated as things move forward.

As with all things, have fun and enjoy what you do. Look forward to working with the DLC crew!

--Kaotical

Kaotical

Smash Ace
DLC Crew Agenda

--) The PSA character that seems to be accepted the most is Eldiran's Zero. I played w/ v1.3 Zero recently and I found that he needs a lot of changes (I played Brawl+). Zero has a lot of balancing issues, so he has to be balanced for the different games. I believe Zero would be a good first character to finalize as he seems the closest to being finished. Eventually there could be enough finished characters to have a PSA character tournament if that's what players wanted. Let's get Zero finished.

--) I understand that a lot of progress is being made with SSE stages and custom stage hacks. Yeroc informed me that there is a working version of the SSS code. We should capitalize on that and get some new stages available. Anyone that can use the SSS code efficiently should make this happen.

--) If there is a way to select PSA characters while maintaining the original character, such as holding R on Samus to get Zamus, then that should be included into finalized PSA downloads (not sure myself on how it works). Any form of this that wouldn't make the game glitch or look incomplete would be awesome. Then we need to find out how many characters we could include with this method.

--) Not all characters have complete team textures. We need to establish which characters still need team textures and finish them. This will include not only the original cast, but PSA characters as well. A finished texture list for each character should include red, green, blue, yellow, black, and white (black & white are optional, they just seem like good choices for 5th and 6th). This will of course be for the tournament players and I'm sure it's also what the other project leaders want.

This is all I have for now. If there are any other pressing issues to address or material that may need attention, feel free to post it here. This will be constantly updated with things that are both "in progress" and "complete"; a record.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
All finished competitive stages go in the OP here --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260492
I think we might be able to release the first stage DLC pack with the 4 stages there: Mansion, Summit, NPC, and PTAD

I've got expertise with the SSS code (i wrote 2 tutorials for it, after all) and hope to be able to port Overswarm's 3 custom stages (the ones used in the midwest circuit, for anybody who knows it) into pac form sometime soon

EDIT: im also considering opening up a stage hacking archive in the custom content subforum for the guys over there (they are very, very pro)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Hm...
I've made a bunch of textures that were made FOR people.

There were a few instances where I took a player's face and put it over their main...like Dazwa's face over ZSS.

After I finished that one though, I tossed it into the fire of hell where it could not return from, per his request.

But uhh...I haven't looked into stages yet, but there are a couple of characters I'd like to try to make as well...but most of my ideas are stuck behind the "no model importation" barrier, since my best skill is 3dModeling. =[
-DD

The Cape

Smash Master
Kaotical fails because he didnt say "Team Assemble!"

Anyway, I think something good you guys might look into is to find people who can do recolor of textures, model hacking, etc and keep them "on call". Like a post of who you can contact with information that do good work and are reliable, should keep the whole process rolling.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I think we might be able to release the first stage DLC pack with the 4 stages there: Mansion, Summit, NPC, and PTAD
that should be good. i think a GCt/txt should be released with it so people who aren't as efficient can use the appropriate codes. an auto-updater would be perfect.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I will post various works that DLC crew members have made by their respective names. It would be helpful if DLC crew members posted or sent me links that include most/all of their ready-made material. This will be used as a reference for which crew members specialize in which fields. Projects that each member has been or is working on will be listed as well.
Here's almost everything I've got:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245842

That includes Sword Ganon, Zero, Wisp, Manchu, Kill-able Giga Bowser, and PTAD with no cars.

I have also made the most recent version of Ike for Brawl-:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2mm2f4zjxmm

Current projects I'm working on:
Ganondorf as Sigma
fortwaffles' Ike as Isaac
ROB for Brawl-?

--) The PSA character that seems to be accepted the most is Eldiran's Zero. I played w/ v1.3 Zero recently and I found that he needs a lot of changes (I played Brawl+). Zero has a lot of balancing issues, so he has to be balanced for the different games. I believe Zero would be a good first character to finalize as he seems the closest to being finished. Eventually there could be enough finished characters to have a PSA character tournament if that's what players wanted. Let's get Zero finished.
I'm proud he's the most accepted (seemingly) and I'm not surprised he's got problems in Brawl+, considering I don't use it. I'd be very glad to hear balance issues and attempt to remedy them.

However: RandomTBush has made strides in taking models from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and putting them in Brawl. When the NA version is released, we could take Zero from it and do it proper. When this becomes possible, I'm putting Sigma by the wayside and going all out on Zero 2.0. I suggest looking into getting this to work.

Here's RandomT's post:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9350433&postcount=154

P.S. I'm really excited to be a part of this, and agree wholly with our mission, so... yeah! Rockin'.

The Cape

Smash Master
Model hacking Zero in from TvC would be the perfect solution.

Is there something that is mostly complete that we can ask the creator if they want assistance one?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Roy.

>_>

Also I have to question why I wasn't placed on this team... But whatever.

Revven

FrankerZ
Heck, if anyone wanted to, you could also try Megaman's model from TvC (even though that isn't the Megaman we all WANT it's still better than nothing atm) for another new character. Messing with Megaman's model from TvC until TvC releases in NA would be a good idea imo.

The Cape

Smash Master
Why not go into Megaman 9 on the Wii and take that one?

Also TSON, you were put in as a coder last I checked.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
(even though that isn't the Megaman we all WANT it's still better than nothing atm)
Yeahhh...

Why not go into Megaman 9 on the Wii and take that one?
That's a 2D retro game for Wiiware <.< I doubt it has anything that classifies as a model.

Speaking of, if we knew how to manipulate the 'special' animation datas like AnmTexPat, etc. we could make a fully functioning 2D Megaman even without taking models from other games.

It wouldn't be hard to find a 2D plane with transparency enabled that we could resize, and we could just alter sprites as the Excitebike or Advance Wars tanks do. (I've tried this already, but was stopped by the inability to animate the textures properly.)

The Cape

Smash Master
TSON, does that matter? Help where you can.

Eldarian, what about using the Ness texture that makes him into Megaman and reworking his moveset since we can partial moveswap now (right?)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
TSON, does that matter? Help where you can.

Eldarian, what about using the Ness texture that makes him into Megaman and reworking his moveset since we can partial moveswap now (right?)
That is certainly do-able. Personally, even with the new removal of Ness' cap and backpack, I don't feel like the Ness texture is close enough to Megaman to be worth it (basically, his legs are very not Megaman). I'd sooner make Sigma, who with a bit of vertex editing to slim up the waist, could look almost identical to his in-game counterpart.

That's not to say I wouldn't do my best to help if anyone took on a Ness Megaman moveset.

Kaotical

Smash Ace
Anyway, I think something good you guys might look into is to find people who can do recolor of textures, model hacking, etc and keep them "on call". Like a post of who you can contact with information that do good work and are reliable, should keep the whole process rolling.
Good idea. If we can get that list on here, suggestions or whatever, then I will edit that list into the OP.

Model hacking Zero in from TvC would be the perfect solution.

Is there something that is mostly complete that we can ask the creator if they want assistance on?
TSON mentioned Roy, and I agree; Roy is mostly complete, but the thing I feel uneasy about w/ Roy is that he's still a clone character. Roy would be the easiest to finish at this point, especially since model hacking is now an option for Zero in the near future. I'll download Roy and test him out.

Oh, I thought we were like divided or something. Alright.
We're a community. Being divided doesn't make sense. :)

All finished competitive stages go in the OP here --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260492

I've got expertise with the SSS code (i wrote 2 tutorials for it, after all) and hope to be able to port Overswarm's 3 custom stages (the ones used in the midwest circuit, for anybody who knows it) into pac form sometime soon

EDIT: im also considering opening up a stage hacking archive in the custom content subforum for the guys over there (they are very, very pro)
MK26, you seem to have a good grasp on stages. Unless others here think there should be more stages included in the stage DLC pack, or any other opinions about it, I say there's a good start. Would this stage pack be for certain specific projects, or universal? Either way, if you can make it happen then move forward. If you can get more stages into the pack that would be great. We should also find out exactly what the other teams are looking for in terms of stages for their projects.

You should go ahead and open that sub-forum if you think it would be a good help for the programmers. Any sources or indexes we have on the forums are helpful (obv).

Eldiran: I'd like to discuss the balancing issues with you, but keep in mind I only tried Zero in B+ and I'm pretty sure I have a grasp on what fixes he needs for that. I'm pretty sure we can delay the Brawl- balancing for now (lol). I did read through RandomTBush's post and most of that thread, and it seems model hacking is something that programmers here on the forum are still trying to figure out. We could go ahead with balancing changes and just perform the model swapping later. If that would be too much of a problem (which I don't see happening) then we could wait. Either way, model swapping will open up a lot of options for characters and maybe more.

Also, with Ness Megaman, couldn't you just model swap something over Ness later if we had a moveset for him now?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Brawl- alpha release is in 7 days and there's a considerable amount of work to be done still, so I dun think so.

Kaotical

Smash Ace
Brawl- alpha release is in 7 days and there's a considerable amount of work to be done still, so I dun think so.
I would think that since Brawl- is about to hit their Alpha release they're not concerned at the moment with what we're doing in here. I could see them requesting something for the Beta release maybe.

Kaotical

Smash Ace
Hm...
I've made a bunch of textures that were made FOR people.

There were a few instances where I took a player's face and put it over their main...like Dazwa's face over ZSS.

After I finished that one though, I tossed it into the fire of hell where it could not return from, per his request.

But uhh...I haven't looked into stages yet, but there are a couple of characters I'd like to try to make as well...but most of my ideas are stuck behind the "no model importation" barrier, since my best skill is 3dModeling. =[
-DD
If you haven't done so yet, check out the link Eldiran posted about 3D model swapping. If you know a lot about this subject, maybe you can help out the others who are working to make that an option for us to work with (if you haven't done so already that is).

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Eldiran: I'd like to discuss the balancing issues with you, but keep in mind I only tried Zero in B+ and I'm pretty sure I have a grasp on what fixes he needs for that. I'm pretty sure we can delay the Brawl- balancing for now (lol). I did read through RandomTBush's post and most of that thread, and it seems model hacking is something that programmers here on the forum are still trying to figure out. We could go ahead with balancing changes and just perform the model swapping later. If that would be too much of a problem (which I don't see happening) then we could wait. Either way, model swapping will open up a lot of options for characters and maybe more.

Also, with Ness Megaman, couldn't you just model swap something over Ness later if we had a moveset for him now?
Sure. I actually think Zero fares quite well in v/BBrawl, so we shouldn't worry too much about that. Regardless of when the model changes come to fruition, I'd be glad to hear any feedback on Zero's balance -- even if a new Zero comes before I can make the changes, I can at least learn from the balance errors I made.

It's true we could pre-emptively make Ness, though it does add a fair amount of hassle later on. For example, matching the hitboxes and graphics to the right bones and sizes. Not to mention that working with a pre-existing character will give us incentive to use his pre-existing animations, whereas working with a new model will require us to make entirely new animations. It may be that we'll find something that would be better off without using a Ness animation, so we'll end up redoing that.

But I'm just being pessimistic here.

MK26

Smash Master
MK26, you seem to have a good grasp on stages. Unless others here think there should be more stages included in the stage DLC pack, or any other opinions about it, I say there's a good start. Would this stage pack be for certain specific projects, or universal? Either way, if you can make it happen then move forward. If you can get more stages into the pack that would be great. We should also find out exactly what the other teams are looking for in terms of stages for their projects.

You should go ahead and open that sub-forum if you think it would be a good help for the programmers. Any sources or indexes we have on the forums are helpful (obv).
Can do. I think it'd be universal (i want stage hacking to be independent of character balance), but it's obviously up to the project heads if they want to include it...AA has already said he has no intention of doing anything further to Mansion than the stage slowdown already present in BB.

(it would be a thread, not a subforum, i dont have that power...yet ;))

And please, call me Maestro.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If you haven't done so yet, check out the link Eldiran posted about 3D model swapping. If you know a lot about this subject, maybe you can help out the others who are working to make that an option for us to work with (if you haven't done so already that is).
Hmm.

Eldiran, have you done any vertex hacking yet? Did you use Anim8or or 3DSMax? =[ My weapon of choice is Maya, but no one seems to show it any love. I'll have to acquire 3DS...but I'll try opening the .3DS in ZBrush and saving it as a .maya...see how it goes. Sounds like a longer process...

-DD

Almas

Smash Lord
Okay so I've been reviewing the Alternate File Loader and I have no idea why it doesn't work, and I can't debug the crash either. But I'll try and get some time to fix it at some point. It's frustratingly bizarre that the old one worked.

Out of curiosity, can someone explain this whole module file lark? Sometimes I spiel it off to people without actually knowing what it means. Like, all I know is there's something called module files.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Hmm.

Eldiran, have you done any vertex hacking yet? Did you use Anim8or or 3DSMax? =[ My weapon of choice is Maya, but no one seems to show it any love. I'll have to acquire 3DS...but I'll try opening the .3DS in ZBrush and saving it as a .maya...see how it goes. Sounds like a longer process...

-DD
Unfortunately, my endeavors in vertex editing ended in failure because Anim8or wouldn't run properly on my computer. Is 3DSMax free? Or Maya? And do they actually work to read these files? If so, I may give it another go.

At this point, I'm much more interested in getting these new models formatted to work, though.

Okay so I've been reviewing the Alternate File Loader and I have no idea why it doesn't work, and I can't debug the crash either. But I'll try and get some time to fix it at some point. It's frustratingly bizarre that the old one worked.

Out of curiosity, can someone explain this whole module file lark? Sometimes I spiel it off to people without actually knowing what it means. Like, all I know is there's something called module files.
All I know is that there is a module file for each character and stage, and they handle anything that is hardcoded. For example, the fact that the Links' down air send them upwards. Or more prominently, they determine the way the floating point values are applied to the characters' projectiles.

At least, that's my understanding. That's all I really know unfortunately...

The Cape

Smash Master
What about a "Melee pack"

We have a Roy, Doc, Pichu, and Y. Link in the works. Why not gather up those four and polish em up and make the first release set big?

We can give unique ideas to the characters too like Roy tips are weak hits that draw in, Doc has electric "polarity" attacks that pull in, Pichu has discharge, etc.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Unfortunately, my endeavors in vertex editing ended in failure because Anim8or wouldn't run properly on my computer. Is 3DSMax free? Or Maya? And do they actually work to read these files? If so, I may give it another go.

At this point, I'm much more interested in getting these new models formatted to work, though.
Well, from what I can tell, the process of adding in the new models[I assume you mean the TvC ones] is the same process as the vertex editing, it just skips actual editing.

3DS is the file format that is exported and worked with, you can get a 30 day free trial, or if you'd like to have it I have other methods.

But yeah, I got anim8or running, but it sucks hardxcore. If I can get this method down I'll be more than happy to do vertex work that anyone needs.

We have a Roy, Doc, Pichu, and Y. Link in the works. Why not gather up those four and polish em up and make the first release set big?

We can give unique ideas to the characters too like Roy tips are weak hits that draw in, Doc has electric "polarity" attacks that pull in, Pichu has discharge, etc.
>___________>;; We have Mewtwo too. It just doesn't look like him at all. Or move like him. Its just a moveset stuck in Lucario's body, and it makes me cry.

Although if I get vertex hacking to work better again, I'd make it work even better.

-DD

Kaotical

Smash Ace

A Melee pack is a pretty decent idea. Is there someone here who would volunteer to to do that idea? If so then that would be a good thing to release and let some time pass to see if people figure out how to master model swapping.

Revven

FrankerZ
Eldiran, TvC UAS (the US release) got leaked and lots of people have the .iso or rather, the .iso is available now for download. So, you can probably try getting Zero working in BrawlBox or rather, get the model and ask RandomTBrush for assistance in getting him working. >.>

Just thought I would post this here.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Eldiran, TvC UAS (the US release) got leaked and lots of people have the .iso or rather, the .iso is available now for download. So, you can probably try getting Zero working in BrawlBox or rather, get the model and ask RandomTBrush for assistance in getting him working. >.>

Just thought I would post this here.
Awesome. I think that RandomT is already going at it with Bill's hat. However, since TvC is seemingly closer in format, I'll probably let him know and see if he wants to give it a try.

EDIT: Mentioned it to RandomT, he's giving it a go.

The Cape

Smash Master
I was informed that Pokemon Stadium is not compatible :(

But we still have all that other stuff like pokemon ranch and ****.

MK26

Smash Master
Ladies (if applicable) and gentlemen, we have achieved the pinnacle of Brawl hacking.

We have made PictoChat less gay.

introducing... Pictochat Plus:

Download

Changes (oi...):
~No Fireballs
~No Bombs/Missiles
~No man-eating Plant
~No hitbox on Skateboard
~No colision on Clock (it knows why its collision is gone :mad:)
~Block "stack" is now walkthrough once inside. all ground can be fallen through (outside walls still prevent movement in)
~Eye Line (the long diagonal line with the eyes) now functions like a fall through platform
~No Spikes (on stage or off)
~Ferris Wheel no longer spins (not sure why since i didn't do anything to it...)

i put this pac together today (literally started right after physics and have been working non-stop till now). no outside codes are needed, just pop it in and enjoy the less gay picto.
10cps

Veril

Frame Savant
omg... that pictochat. We should really implement those fixes. I'd like to see a smaller pictochat. It would have to be altered quite a bit to overcome its BEING FD... but you guys can clearly do some amazing **** with these stages.

I'd like to see a fixed Japes more than anything though... omg bias but w/e, that stage would be amazing if it:
-had moon gravity instead of the water
-the gators knockback angle was changed to "no launch" and the damage reduced to 5. This would deter camping under the stage and make any gator KOs rely on the other person taking advantage of the hitstun. Gator combos ;p
-reduce gator appearance to every 20 seconds (half as often)
-removing the inner ledges on the platforms
-massively reduce the height of the ceiling.

with the ledge-grab invincibility decay and all these changes this could be a CP stage imo

"wants to lightstep in tourney... real bad"

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Just to note... I think you mean klaptrap, not gator.

Top Bottom